Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USM football OC leaving for UGA
Bookmark and Share
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
USM football OC leaving for UGA
1st year OC Buster Faulkner has accepted an analyst/quality control position at Georgia. He joins former USM head coach Todd Monken who will be the OC there after being an OC in the NFL the last 4 years. Former Ole Miss HC Matt Luke is the OL coach there so they are stocking up on the coaches in Athens. FWIW, current Colorado OC Jay Johnson spent the 2017-18 season in the role that it appears Faulkner will fill. Jay Johnson was a former OC at USM from 2005-07.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/geor...odd-monken
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020 02:05 PM by usm99.)
01-20-2020 02:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
RE: USM football OC leaving for UGA
So was Faulkner "pushed" out of the OC job at USM? Not sure of any other reason he'd go from being an OC to a Quality Control Assistant.
01-20-2020 03:34 PM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
(01-20-2020 03:34 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  So was Faulkner "pushed" out of the OC job at USM? Not sure of any other reason he'd go from being an OC to a Quality Control Assistant.

More money probably
01-20-2020 06:04 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-20-2020 06:04 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  
(01-20-2020 03:34 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  So was Faulkner "pushed" out of the OC job at USM? Not sure of any other reason he'd go from being an OC to a Quality Control Assistant.

More money probably

lol....maybe it's b/c our HC is the SS-Minnow Gilligan in wait/wake.....

it's a non positional hire.....think about that for a fk'n min......
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020 06:51 PM by stinkfist.)
01-20-2020 06:49 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
If someone came to your job and said "we'll pay you twice as much as your making now with less responsibilities" you'd be a fool not to take the offer.
01-20-2020 10:02 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(01-20-2020 10:02 PM)TTT Wrote:  If someone came to your job and said "we'll pay you twice as much as your making now with less responsibilities" you'd be a fool not to take the offer.

Well, yeah, if you are short sighted, non-motivated and not confident in your abilities.

My take is if you are coaching, you should be competitive and confident enough that your goal is to be a head coach at the highest level. The best way to become a head coach at the highest level is to first be a head coach at a lower level (G5). How do you become a head coach at a G5? Be a really good co-ordinator at a G5 or a P5.

So, if you think you are a really good co-ordinator and are confident you can make your side of the ball an unstoppable juggernaut, then you should also believe you are only one step away from getting a HC gig at a G5 or a co-ordinator job at a P5.

If that's the case, you don't give that up to take a non-field position at a bigger school, even if it's for more money, because it sure isn't G5 HC or P5 OC money.

If it's just because he doesn't want to be top dog, I'm happy for you guys that he left because you need alphas to be successful.
01-20-2020 10:22 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(01-20-2020 10:02 PM)TTT Wrote:  If someone came to your job and said "we'll pay you twice as much as your making now with less responsibilities" you'd be a fool not to take the offer.

UGA has 3 asst coaches making under $500,000 and the lowest one $300,000. I doubt if they are paying a non-position hire more than the lowest asst coach.

I bet they sure didnt double his money from S. Miss where he was making $250,000.

What this moves tells me, Faulkner, isnt sure he would have a job at S. Miss pass the 2020 season. You dont take 2nd in control of a team to not being a coach at all over a 50k raise...

Most likely a PAY CUT

Below is from FSU year 2016

Quote:Below are FSU’s eight Quality Control assistants listed on the team's official roster and their respective salaries from the most recent records provided by FSU through a public-records request from Noles247. Update: To clarify, salaries provided by FSU are from a previous fiscal year (ended in June) and some are from earlier years, so salaries will fluctuate and can change for the current fiscal year. Noles247 will request an updated copy of records for the current year and will provide any updated salaries once the request is fulfilled.

In total, FSU is committed to paying more than $237,000 on Quality Control assistants, although that figure can change if agreements are updated in the new fiscal year. Quality Control assistants are Other Personal Services (OPS) employees, which is a designation in the state of Florida for "temporary employer/employee relationship used solely for accomplishing short term or intermittent tasks."

Bert Biffani
Salary: $30,000 ($14.36 hourly) (OPS form provided from 2016)

Dameyune Craig
Salary: $16,848 ($8.10 hourly) (OPS form provided from 2016)

Jerry Johnson
Salary: $41,000 ($19.63 hourly) (OPS form provided from 2015, amended in 2016)

NFL
https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-red...trol-coach

Quote:NFL quality control coach salary 2018
They're in the NFL and making good money compared to the general population -- one coach for another team estimated the average quality-control coach makes between $100,000 to $150,000.Nov 17, 2018
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020 10:53 PM by WKUYG.)
01-20-2020 10:52 PM
stinkfist Offline

(01-20-2020 10:52 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

UGA has 3 asst coaches making under $500,000 and the lowest one $300,000. I doubt if they are paying a non-position hire more than the lowest asst coach.

I bet they sure didnt double his money from S. Miss where he was making $250,000.

What this moves tells me, Faulkner, isnt sure he would have a job at S. Miss pass the 2020 season. You dont take 2nd in control of a team to not being a coach at all over a 50k raise...

Most likely a PAY CUT

Quote:Below are FSU’s eight Quality Control assistants listed on the team's official roster and their respective salaries from the most recent records provided by FSU through a public-records request from Noles247. Update: To clarify, salaries provided by FSU are from a previous fiscal year (ended in June) and some are from earlier years, so salaries will fluctuate and can change for the current fiscal year. Noles247 will request an updated copy of records for the current year and will provide any updated salaries once the request is fulfilled.

In total, FSU is committed to paying more than $237,000 on Quality Control assistants, although that figure can change if agreements are updated in the new fiscal year. Quality Control assistants are Other Personal Services (OPS) employees, which is a designation in the state of Florida for "temporary employer/employee relationship used solely for accomplishing short term or intermittent tasks."

Bert Biffani

Dameyune Craig

Jerry Johnson

NFL

They're in the NFL and making good money compared to the general population -- one coach for another team estimated the average quality-control coach makes between $100,000 to $150,000.Nov 17, 2018

it's so simple....kudos and 04-cheers to you and banker....

we'll miss him naught....
01-20-2020 10:56 PM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

He'll be the QB coach by Spring Practice.
01-21-2020 12:28 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

The Middle Tennessee fans were correct: we sucked in short yardage situations. His play-calling was mediocre.
01-21-2020 04:39 PM
Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
No matter the reasons, not a good look. Hope USM can find a great replacement and regain past glory.
01-21-2020 05:15 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

Our safeties coach left to take a QC position at FSU last month. After two weeks he left FSU to take a safeties coach position with Colorado State.
01-21-2020 06:47 PM
Colonel Angus Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-21-2020 04:39 PM)USM@FTL Wrote:  The Middle Tennessee fans were correct: we sucked in short yardage situations. His play-calling was mediocre.

Usually gonna struggle in short yardage when your Oline couldn’t block the Girl Scouts.
01-21-2020 08:26 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
As long as Hopson is the HC, it won't matter what assistants we have. USM football is beyond sad.
01-22-2020 12:24 AM
stinkfist Offline

(01-21-2020 08:26 PM)Colonel Angus Wrote:  
(01-21-2020 04:39 PM)USM@FTL Wrote:  The Middle Tennessee fans were correct: we sucked in short yardage situations. His play-calling was mediocre.

Usually gonna struggle in short yardage when your Oline couldn’t block the Girl Scouts.

no shite....ya don't say....

when the opposition knows they can rush 6 every single fk'n down, it's hardly an enigma....

oh yeah, nice play calling when you know that....wtfe broheim....

#enema
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2020 04:49 AM by stinkfist.)
01-22-2020 04:48 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(01-20-2020 10:22 PM)banker Wrote:  

Well, yeah, if you are short sighted, non-motivated and not confident in your abilities.

My take is if you are coaching, you should be competitive and confident enough that your goal is to be a head coach at the highest level. The best way to become a head coach at the highest level is to first be a head coach at a lower level (G5). How do you become a head coach at a G5? Be a really good co-ordinator at a G5 or a P5.

So, if you think you are a really good co-ordinator and are confident you can make your side of the ball an unstoppable juggernaut, then you should also believe you are only one step away from getting a HC gig at a G5 or a co-ordinator job at a P5.

If that's the case, you don't give that up to take a non-field position at a bigger school, even if it's for more money, because it sure isn't G5 HC or P5 OC money.

If it's just because he doesn't want to be top dog, I'm happy for you guys that he left because you need alphas to be successful.

You can still be ahead coach in that case, easily. We got Doc, didn't we? 03-banghead
01-22-2020 09:56 AM
Advertisement

Blue Raider Dave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tenn

You're being generous saying his play calling is mediocre.
01-22-2020 10:07 AM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
(01-20-2020 10:56 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(01-20-2020 10:52 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

Most likely a PAY CUT

Bert Biffani

Dameyune Craig

Jerry Johnson

NFL

it's so simple....kudos and 04-cheers to you and banker....

we'll miss him naught....

I stand corrected. Because we're so poor I just assumed "hey it's UGA...he's probably making wayyy more money than what he'll make here". If not, then yeah...that's definitely not a good sigh.

Honestly, I don't know what to make of USM football right now other than that in the 4 years he's been here, Jay Hopson has not elevated the program he inherited in ANY WAY. In fact he's done the exact opposite. And for that reason I have zero faith or confidence in our program with him as HC...
01-22-2020 12:57 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee

Well, if it is one thing MT fans know well, it is mediocre football coaches...
01-22-2020 07:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USM@FTL Offline
All American

Thing is, we were 7-3, and everything was there for us.

One-dimensional offense. We had to convert a wide receiver to running back, just to have ANY rushing yards.
01-22-2020 09:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.