Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boise State considering move away from MW?
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
01-19-2020 12:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Boise State considering move away from MW?
I doubt they leave anytime soon as they seem to pleased with the new contract. But the foundation may be being laid for something to happen down the road
01-19-2020 01:13 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Think about the landscape in a couple of years. A new CFP deal that I believe will include more benefits for Independents.

If there was a Top 12 or Top 20 rule for independent schools participating what does Boise have to gain by staying in the MWC? They can go the BYU route if they wanted.
01-19-2020 01:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(01-19-2020 01:29 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Think about the landscape in a couple of years. A new CFP deal that I believe will include more benefits for Independents.

If there was a Top 12 or Top 20 rule for independent schools participating what does Boise have to gain by staying in the MWC? They can go the BYU route if they wanted.

I seriously doubt there will be any provision for independents making NY6 bowls at all. The Conferences control that and they aren't giving that up.
01-19-2020 01:32 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Notre Dame already has a provision. I see no reason why Army, BYU and the others will be shut out when they have to ability to cobble together a tougher schedule than the G5.
01-19-2020 01:36 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(01-19-2020 01:32 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(01-19-2020 01:29 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Think about the landscape in a couple of years. A new CFP deal that I believe will include more benefits for Independents.

I seriously doubt there will be any provision for independents making NY6 bowls at all. The Conferences control that and they aren't giving that up.

Wishful thinking.
01-19-2020 01:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga

Maybe the bowl pool could be better for independent teams? The main question is for Boise is where do they park their non football sports. Big Sky is at what 12 all sports? Would try want another Idaho team? You have the WAC who probably take them. MWC could keep them as the non football version of Hawaii. Big West I doubt would take them.
01-19-2020 01:42 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(01-19-2020 01:36 PM)esayem Wrote:  Notre Dame already has a provision. I see no reason why Army, BYU and the others will be shut out when they have to ability to cobble together a tougher schedule than the G5.

That was the case 6 years ago as well. There are 11 stewards of the CFB. The 10 conferences and Notre Dame.

Also, Notre Dame doesn't have a provision at all... They have an agreement with the Orange Bowl, but that's different.
01-19-2020 01:42 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(01-19-2020 01:38 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

Wishful thinking.

No, I think it's wishful thinking for Boise fans to think that the G5 spot for G5 champions would be opened up to independents.
01-19-2020 01:43 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Just keep in mind who is doing the voting on the CFP structure (conferences). I doubt there would be many votes for that rule.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2020 01:55 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-19-2020 01:50 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags

A move is likely. The BYU-route of independent football won't work for Boise St. We don't have the national draw BYU has and would not be able to develop the schedule BYU does. Realistically, I do think a football-only membership in the AAC is a likely result with our non-football sports in either the Big West, Big Sky, or remaining in the Mt West.
01-19-2020 01:50 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(01-19-2020 01:50 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  

A move is likely. The BYU-route of independent football won't work for Boise St. We don't have the national draw BYU has and would not be able to develop the schedule BYU does. Realistically, I do think a football-only membership in the AAC is a likely result with our non-football sports in either the Big West, Big Sky, or remaining in the Mt West.

Won't be the MWC guaranteed(just like I said with UConn/AAC).

If there was 3-4 teams out west, you wonder if AAC would go all sports. Boise, SDSU, 1 other gets 14. Could double up on road trips out there to make it easier..
01-19-2020 01:53 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Go Indy.
Play who you want where you want and build your brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-19-2020 02:20 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
I think that a likely scenario would be for Boise to join the American for football only, as opposed to the independent route.
01-19-2020 02:21 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(01-19-2020 02:20 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Go Indy.
Play who you want where you want and build your brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a dream world this is possible but we can't just play whoever we want. They have to want to plus us too and have room in their schedule.
01-19-2020 02:35 PM
Stugray2 Online
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Notre Dame is basically an ACC school when it comes to Bowls. The deal they have to play Olympic Sports in the ACC through 2037 makes them an extra ACC school as far as Football Bowl tie-ins; they are not in the Independent pool as far as that goes.

Were a Texas to decide to go Independent in Football (highly unlikely scenario but popular on fan boards to speculate about) they would certainly still keep Olympics in a power conference like Notre Dame does and ride that conference for Bowl affiliation goes.

The true Independents are BYU, Army, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Liberty and New Mexico State. Army gets relief by being an academy and favored in the Military Bowl, but otherwise is like the rest of the G5 level Independents, in the pool of filler schools (albeit more valued than others). BYU is unable to get a Bowl tie-in and that does not bode well for Independents who do not play Basketball in a P5 conference.

Boise State would be in the same boat, with a fan base and donor base much smaller than BYU. They would also not have NY6 access, which they do now through the MWC. The MWC is a Football conference, so going Independent means leaving you Basketball to die in a perpetual one bid conference playing in glorified high school gyms, plus if the Big West (rather than WAC or Big Sky) it would mean paying an annual travel fee for that privilege. Then you have to look at Football schedule. Basically they would start with BYU and desperate New Mexico State (although why would you want to go to Las Cruces?) then a lot of empty slots to fill (Bronco fans say hello to annual games with UMass Minutemen and Liberty Flames). They are likely to have the same ragged schedule the first few years or so BYU had. If the money from the American is not sufficient to tempt them then it would take much more than that to go Independent.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020 05:14 PM by Stugray2.)
01-19-2020 02:37 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
If Boise State were to make the jump, they now have a stable WAC as a place to park their other sports. They may also make a play for the Big Sky and pitch to be their #12, though that would seem unlikely.

I think NY6 access would have to be available to independents as that is would seem to be very important to Boise. However, if push came to shove and the MWC relationship was deemed at an impasse, I could see Boise making independence or football only membership work thanks to a now stable WAC
01-19-2020 02:52 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(01-19-2020 01:50 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Just keep in mind who is doing the voting on the CFP structure (conferences). I doubt there would be many votes for that rule.

I don’t think that we’d ever see anything for independents other than being treated like any other at-large team.

One thing that G5 fans need to remember, though: having Boise State in the G5 is a (if not *the*) key program that helps the argument that the G5 should get its top champ a spot in an 8-team playoff. The more that better non-P5 teams choose to be independent, the more that the P5 will push back on granting any automatic access to the G5. So, just as I mentioned that MWC fans could be the tail wagging the dog if they push Boise State away, G5 fans shouldn’t be sanctimonious about thinking that Boise State going independent will help their G5 prospects. The AAC certainly isn’t getting any type of CFP auto-bid, so a G5 auto-bid is going to be contingent on having at least a worthy MWC... and a worthy MWC essentially needs Boise State to stay. The entire G5 needs that to be the case if it wants any type of playoff auto-bid in the future.
01-19-2020 03:42 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I wonder if Boise would be this aggressive to the MWC if the AAC didn’t have 11 football schools?

Boise thinks they are going to be able to play the AAC and MWC against each other again.

Football independence doesn’t make a ton of sense for Boise. They’d have a schedule that looks like BYU’s but for a few million less and no access to the NY6 bowls.

I think the big question is what do the Broncos really want?: perpetual special child status in the MWC or are they really championing a coast-to-coast AAC, which they walked away from a few years back without playing a single down.

If the MWC loses Boise they have some things to think about. If they just lose Boise they could either cut Hawaii loose too and go to 10 members or they could slot in NMSU or an FCS school to take their place. If Boise manages to take other MWC members with them then things get interesting.

The next question is if Boise needs a place to park Olympic sports who takes them?: Big Sky, Big West, or WAC?
01-19-2020 04:02 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
The AAC has an opening for the next 2 years. Take your time and think about it.
01-19-2020 04:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.