Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Ken Starr, Alan Dershowitz Join Trump’s Impeachment Legal Team
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Ken Starr, Alan Dershowitz Join Trump’s Impeachment Legal Team
Quote:Former independent counsel Kenneth Starr and Harvard Law professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz have joined President Donald Trump’s impeachment legal team ahead of the Senate’s upcoming trial.

“Professor Dershowitz will present oral arguments at the Senate trial to address the constitutional arguments against impeachment and removal,” a spokesperson for the legal team said in a statement Friday. “While Professor Dershowitz is non-partisan when it comes to the constitution—he opposed the impeachment of President Bill Clinton and voted for Hillary Clinton— he believes the issues at stake go to the heart of our enduring Constitution.”

Dershowitz, one of the country’s most high-profile constitutional lawyers, confirmed the news to CNBC. “The president asked me to do this, and the legal team asked me to do this,” he said.

Starr, a former appeals court judge who headed up the investigation into the Whitewater the Monica Lewinsky scandals, has yet to confirm the news.

Robert Ray, an ex-federal prosecutor and independent counsel who took over for Starr in the Whitewater probe, is also expected to join the president’s legal team, CNN reports.

“You can confirm that I expect an announcement this afternoon,” Ray told CNBC of the report.

White House Counsel Pat Cipollone and Jay Sekulow, President Trump’s personal attorney, will lead the defense team.

Link

[Image: EOgJyTuXkAEowKb?format=jpg&name=small]
01-17-2020 01:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Ken Starr, Alan Dershowitz Join Trump’s Impeachment Legal Team
https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/15462...nds-gao-is

Dershowitz eviscerates GAO.

"Whatever one may think about the substantive merits of what President Donald Trump did or did not do with regard to the Ukrainian money— which was eventually sent without strings —he certainly had the authority to delay sending the funds. The GAO was simply wrong in alleging that he violated the law, which includes the Constitution, by doing so.

To be sure, the statute requires notification to Congress, but if such notification significantly delays the president from implementing his foreign policy at a time of his choice, that too would raise serious constitutional issues.

Why then would a nonpartisan agency get it so wrong as a matter of constitutional law. There are two obvious answers: first, in the age of Trump there is no such thing as nonpartisan. The political world is largely divided into people who hate and people who love President Trump. This is as true of long term civil servants as it is of partisan politicians. We have seen this with regard to the FBI, the CIA, the Fed and other government agencies that are supposed to be nonpartisan. There are of course exceptions such as the inspector general of the Department of Justice who seems genuinely non-partisan. But most civil servants share the nationwide trend of picking sides. The GAO does not seem immune to this divisiveness.

Second, even if the GAO were non-partisan in the sense of preferring one political party over the other, it is partial to Congress over the president. The GAO is a congressional body. It is part of the legislative, not executive, branch...."
01-18-2020 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Note this is the same GAO that always assumes tax breaks don't increase economic activity at all when evaluating the impact on the budget.
01-18-2020 12:26 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-18-2020 12:25 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/15462...nds-gao-is

Dershowitz eviscerates GAO.

"Whatever one may think about the substantive merits of what President Donald Trump did or did not do with regard to the Ukrainian money— which was eventually sent without strings —he certainly had the authority to delay sending the funds. The GAO was simply wrong in alleging that he violated the law, which includes the Constitution, by doing so.

To be sure, the statute requires notification to Congress, but if such notification significantly delays the president from implementing his foreign policy at a time of his choice, that too would raise serious constitutional issues.

Why then would a nonpartisan agency get it so wrong as a matter of constitutional law. There are two obvious answers: first, in the age of Trump there is no such thing as nonpartisan. The political world is largely divided into people who hate and people who love President Trump. This is as true of long term civil servants as it is of partisan politicians. We have seen this with regard to the FBI, the CIA, the Fed and other government agencies that are supposed to be nonpartisan. There are of course exceptions such as the inspector general of the Department of Justice who seems genuinely non-partisan. But most civil servants share the nationwide trend of picking sides. The GAO does not seem immune to this divisiveness.

Second, even if the GAO were non-partisan in the sense of preferring one political party over the other, it is partial to Congress over the president. The GAO is a congressional body. It is part of the legislative, not executive, branch...."

'nuf said...

it really is simple to sift thru all this bs....

reason #230573095029375 why big 'guv' has nothing to do with "WE THE PEOPLE"....
01-18-2020 12:31 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
01-18-2020 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Trump just added the circus with two lawyers who are under legal problems.

Ken Starr needs to step down since he covered up the Baylor football players raping girls there.
01-18-2020 02:30 PM
stinkfist Online

(01-18-2020 02:30 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Trump just added the circus with two lawyers who are under legal problems.

Ken Starr needs to step down since he covered up the Baylor football players raping girls there.

aw heyall, ya nailed it....b/c all that unproven bs coupled with their version of the hypocritical/Hippocratic oath now matters....

#yikes

as a sado/maso, I seriously want to visit your planet one day....pina colada vomit...
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2020 02:49 PM by stinkfist.)
01-18-2020 02:48 PM
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(01-18-2020 02:30 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Trump just added the circus with two lawyers who are under legal problems.

I think that’s actually what qualified him for inclusion on the Trump legal team.
01-18-2020 03:38 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
LOL. These comments coming from the Left are indeed rich considering that they have broken every decorum there is in the House to come up with these lame Impeachment Articles, and then top it off by selecting "Shifty" Adam Schiff to lead the team. After the dust settles on this charade, I can see this all being made into a comedy movie poking fun at the Left, with Chevy Chase playing the part of Shifty Schiff.
01-18-2020 04:44 PM
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
No problem having 3 people running against the President on the "jury" though.
01-18-2020 04:54 PM
450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
Liberals gonna get their heads handed to them on a silver platter...again...
01-18-2020 05:20 PM
stinkfist Online

(01-18-2020 04:44 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  LOL. These comments coming from the Left are indeed rich considering that they have broken every decorum there is in the House to come up with these lame Impeachment Articles, and then top it off by selecting "Shifty" Adam Schiff to lead the team. After the dust settles on this charade, I can see this all being made into a comedy movie poking fun at the Left, with Chevy Chase playing the part of Shifty Schiff.

that would be classic....

my contribution would be to appoint AOC as the queen of ....

[Image: 28gf8r.jpg]
01-18-2020 05:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.