Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: DC Bob Trott let go at ECU
Bookmark and Share
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
OT: DC Bob Trott let go at ECU
ECU fan here. I know you guys may not care but I figure ya'll might have an opinion. I kind of feel like he didn't get a fair shake. It's obviously a tough rebuild in Greenville. He has a lot of pedigree & it looks like he did a good job for you guys. He is getting up there in age and MH may want some young blood to help with recruiting but it seems like he deserved another year taking into consideration all of the circumstances down here. Will be interesting to see who his replacement is. Some ECU fans are speculating that someone may be promoted from within because of the timing of this move.

https://www.wnct.com/sports/ecu-pirates/...t-renewed/
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020 06:18 PM by Indiana Bones.)
01-16-2020 06:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: OT: DC Bob Trott let go at ECU
Think y’all are nuts. Just canned the best coach on his staff. Good luck with the rebuild.
01-16-2020 06:23 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
He's probably the number one guy that people really hoped wouldn't follow Houston to ECU. I think some on here even were talking about the possibility of giving him the head coach job when the Houston rumors first started popping up if I remember right. His defense took a little to gel here, the 2016 Villanova game was the big turning point and then obviously from there we went on to knock off NDSU in Fargo on the way to winning the championship. The next year our defense was absolutely insane. Huge surprise.
01-16-2020 06:52 PM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
We have a DL coach opening now. I know that would be a big step down for him but any chance he would fill that for a season or two?
01-16-2020 07:02 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah Indiana Bones- feel like it was shortsighted to let go of Trott. Widely regarded as Houston's best assistant while here. Very surprised if HCMH did this on his own accord.
01-16-2020 10:34 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-16-2020 06:52 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  He's probably the number one guy that people really hoped wouldn't follow Houston to ECU. I think some on here even were talking about the possibility of giving him the head coach job when the Houston rumors first started popping up if I remember right. His defense took a little to gel here, the 2016 Villanova game was the big turning point and then obviously from there we went on to knock off NDSU in Fargo on the way to winning the championship. The next year our defense was absolutely insane. Huge surprise.

Agree with your post and I am all in on Trott, but I noticed you didn't speak of 18 and I feel we regressed that season. Watch a replay of the RU game as well as others, though the score was a route, RU moved the ball at will. If not for Moreland and our special teams, we'd have been in a dogfight. The best thing about Trott was the respect he got from everyone, especially his players.
01-16-2020 11:15 PM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2020 11:15 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(01-16-2020 06:52 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  He's probably the number one guy that people really hoped wouldn't follow Houston to ECU. I think some on here even were talking about the possibility of giving him the head coach job when the Houston rumors first started popping up if I remember right. His defense took a little to gel here, the 2016 Villanova game was the big turning point and then obviously from there we went on to knock off NDSU in Fargo on the way to winning the championship. The next year our defense was absolutely insane. Huge surprise.

Agree with your post and I am all in on Trott, but I noticed you didn't speak of 18 and I feel we regressed that season. Watch a replay of the RU game as well as others, though the score was a route, RU moved the ball at will. If not for Moreland and our special teams, we'd have been in a dogfight. The best thing about Trott was the respect he got from everyone, especially his players.

Yeah I was more thinking along the lines that it's strange they didn't give him more time at ECU after it took some time at JMU but then was so good once things did click. But good point, maybe Houston could've looked at 2018 as regression and then 2019 as a continuation of those struggles.
01-16-2020 11:33 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
In the statement Houston referred to Trott as a good coach and a great person. Will be interesting what year 2 brings. Ecu was 1-7 in conference and 4-8 overall. I think they have to improve by 3-4 games otherwise Houston will be on the hot seat.

Some of the poor defense imo is the result the style they play on offense. I think some injuries to rb had something to do with it but they seem undermanned on both lines in terms of size. Some decent skills guys but a lot of work to do in the trenches.
01-17-2020 08:19 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2020 08:19 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  In the statement Houston referred to Trott as a good coach and a great person. Will be interesting what year 2 brings. Ecu was 1-7 in conference and 4-8 overall. I think they have to improve by 3-4 games otherwise Houston will be on the hot seat.

Some of the poor defense imo is the result the style they play on offense. I think some injuries to rb had something to do with it but they seem undermanned on both lines in terms of size. Some decent skills guys but a lot of work to do in the trenches.

That will be difficult. Looked at the schedule and I see 4 or 5 wins there total this year, unless they get a bunch of stud transfers or something magically clicks. The ECU schedule this year is significantly harder than last years. Think they need at least another year to turn the corner.
01-17-2020 08:38 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

There has to be something none of us knows about. More to this story, I feel.
01-17-2020 08:40 AM
Dukester Offline

(01-17-2020 08:40 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  There has to be something none of us knows about. More to this story, I feel.

You think? I was thinking a too involved admin &/or fan base.

I will say, Bob's results were not too impressive on paper at RU. That is why I was a bit surprised Houston picked him as DC at JMU. At JMU - no complaints.
01-17-2020 08:46 AM
Advertisement

PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(01-17-2020 08:46 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(01-17-2020 08:40 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  There has to be something none of us knows about. More to this story, I feel.

I will say, Bob's results were not too impressive on paper at RU. That is why I was a bit surprised Houston picked him as DC at JMU. At JMU - no complaints.

I'd guess you've got the right of it Dukester. ECU and Eastern North Carolina booster/politics are no joke - it's a full-on banana republic out there most of the time and that goes for everything from Presidents and Chancellors down to assistant coaches. Been worried about this for Houston all along.
01-17-2020 09:37 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(01-17-2020 09:37 AM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  

I'd guess you've got the right of it Dukester. ECU and Eastern North Carolina booster/politics are no joke - it's a full-on banana republic out there most of the time and that goes for everything from Presidents and Chancellors down to assistant coaches. Been worried about this for Houston all along.

Well MH is a great man of integrity........he and his agents were full aware of the situation at ECU.....since that is where he wanted to be.
01-17-2020 09:40 AM
Dukester Offline

Perhaps that has a lot to do with their recent lack of success.
01-17-2020 09:47 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I thought he did really well considering it’s RU. In his last year there they beat us when we were ranked #3, and had a fairly deep playoff run, losing to NDSU. RU did this without the same level of defensive talent we have.

His resume includes stops at places like the Giants and Patriots. I think he’s like a master chess player on D, but some of his schemes are complex and take players some time to grasp and execute well.

ECU might find someone who will adjust to players and improve results short term, but they won’t be nearly as good long term without Trott imo. That killer D is what made our team tick under Houston. So many interceptions, and it wasn’t just luck. That’s his hallmark on D.
01-17-2020 10:45 AM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(01-17-2020 09:47 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

No doubt, but what I meant is a little different. Seems their mob/rabble can directly force change with just a few behind-the-scenes phone calls or a small band of politically-connected folks banding together. I feel like at JMU even our most mobster-ish group can stomp and be upset and maybe that influences decisions but I don't feel like our mob can just call Alger or Bourne or King and say "this has to happen" and actually directly force changes in that same way. At least not outside of the BOV-level and to me our model is a whole lot more sustainable and likely to lead to longer-term success. ECU just always steps in it by being so over-reactive.

- Ruffin was the best they've ever had and they ran him out of town and ended up with Scottie Mo
- Their good old boys hand-picked Chancellor Staton (like our Pres) and promptly meddled despite his fundraising success and they ran him out of town.
- Hell, they even got their own mob-boss, Harry Smith, to be Chair of the UNC Board of Governors (they have a BIGGER board over the whole system and over the school's individual boards - bless NC really ha!) and he forced out the also-hand-picked Margaret Spellings but even he quit when he was caught using PI's to take down Chancellor candidates he didn't like.

I'm just saying ECU is a different anima. Glad JMU doesn't run that way. Best of luck to Houston and yeah, they better win right quick.
01-17-2020 11:11 AM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(01-17-2020 10:45 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  

I thought he did really well considering it’s RU. In his last year there they beat us when we were ranked #3, and had a fairly deep playoff run, losing to NDSU. RU did this without the same level of defensive talent we have.

His resume includes stops at places like the Giants and Patriots. I think he’s like a master chess player on D, but some of his schemes are complex and take players some time to grasp and execute well.

ECU might find someone who will adjust to players and improve results short term, but they won’t be nearly as good long term without Trott imo. That killer D is what made our team tick under Houston. So many interceptions, and it wasn’t just luck. That’s his hallmark on D.

No you didn't. You gave Trott credit for the 2015 win by holding us to 49? 03-lmfao
01-17-2020 12:08 PM
Dukester Offline

(01-17-2020 11:11 AM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  
(01-17-2020 09:47 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

No doubt, but what I meant is a little different. Seems their mob/rabble can directly force change with just a few behind-the-scenes phone calls or a small band of politically-connected folks banding together. I feel like at JMU even our most mobster-ish group can stomp and be upset and maybe that influences decisions but I don't feel like our mob can just call Alger or Bourne or King and say "this has to happen" and actually directly force changes in that same way. At least not outside of the BOV-level and to me our model is a whole lot more sustainable and likely to lead to longer-term success. ECU just always steps in it by being so over-reactive.

- Ruffin was the best they've ever had and they ran him out of town and ended up with Scottie Mo
- Their good old boys hand-picked Chancellor Staton (like our Pres) and promptly meddled despite his fundraising success and they ran him out of town.
- Hell, they even got their own mob-boss, Harry Smith, to be Chair of the UNC Board of Governors (they have a BIGGER board over the whole system and over the school's individual boards - bless NC really ha!) and he forced out the also-hand-picked Margaret Spellings but even he quit when he was caught using PI's to take down Chancellor candidates he didn't like.

I'm just saying ECU is a different anima. Glad JMU doesn't run that way. Best of luck to Houston and yeah, they better win right quick.

JMU and it's fans definitely do not run that way.
01-17-2020 12:10 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2020 12:08 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(01-17-2020 10:45 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  

No you didn't. You gave Trott credit for the 2015 win by holding us to 49? 03-lmfao

LOL, well it is RU! Didn't look at the score, just remember that loss. We also hung 48 and 63 on them the last two years without him.

Overall that 2015 RU squad was ok on defense by their standards, most teams except for UMd they allowed far fewer points. They played good enough D to get to the semifinals till they met the bizon.
01-17-2020 12:40 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I'll buy a beer for the person who finally merges the two Bob Trott threads. 04-cheers
01-17-2020 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.