Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who will be the first UNCW alum to
Bookmark and Share
Proff Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW
fill the men's head basketball position? A lot of names to consider - Mark Byington, Billy Donlon, Brian Rowsom, ? Or has he graduated yet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
01-13-2020 07:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
RE: Who will be the first UNCW alum to
(01-13-2020 07:05 PM)Proff Wrote:  fill the men's head basketball position? A lot of names to consider - Mark Byington, Billy Donlon, Brian Rowsom, ? Or has he graduated yet?

Joel Justus?
01-13-2020 07:07 PM
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

I’ve always liked Donlon. But Brian Mull during our coaching search last time mentioned on twitter about his name coming up and he had a negative snarky comment about it. I have respected Mull’s basketball acumen and did not know where that came from.
01-13-2020 07:21 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

(01-13-2020 07:07 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(01-13-2020 07:05 PM)Proff Wrote:  fill the men's head basketball position? A lot of names to consider - Mark Byington, Billy Donlon, Brian Rowsom, ? Or has he graduated yet?

Joel Justus?
I thought of Joel also. But he's probably a few years away still from being ready. He would be a good guess though.

01-13-2020 07:28 PM
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

(01-13-2020 07:28 PM)Proff Wrote:  

Joel Justus?
I thought of Joel also. But he's probably a few years away still from being ready. He would be a good guess though.

He might be a dark horse candidate that has experience in a variety of roles and different types of programs. He has risen very fast at Kentucky starting as director of analytics, then special assistant to HC and now an assistant. Before that he was the head coach at Davidson Day school in Davidson and Woodberry Forest in Virginia. He started as an assistant coach at Elon.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2020 07:37 PM by Seahawk2010.)
01-13-2020 07:36 PM
GoHawks13 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Seahawks
(01-13-2020 07:36 PM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  
(01-13-2020 07:28 PM)Proff Wrote:  

Joel Justus?

He might be a dark horse candidate that has experience in a variety of roles and different types of programs. He has risen very fast at Kentucky starting as director of analytics, then special assistant to HC and now an assistant. Before that he was the head coach at Davidson Day school in Davidson and Woodberry Forest in Virginia. He started as an assistant coach at Elon.

I’d love Donlon, but he’s in his first year at UMKC... likely not a great time to make that move. Justus is very interesting. He’s not yet 40, but has moved up that coaching ladder quickly. Honestly, I don’t care who the hire is as long as they can return us to respectability. Don’t need another Moss-Peterson like coaching era (error?)!
01-13-2020 08:52 PM
Advertisement

Proff Offline
1st String

Another couple of names - Aaron Coombs or Keith Atkins.

01-13-2020 09:03 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
It's a nice idea to have an alum, but I can't see why it would matter or help.
01-13-2020 09:21 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

(01-13-2020 09:21 PM)82hawk Wrote:  It's a nice idea to have an alum, but I can't see why it would matter or help.
I agree. It is a question l have been wondering about for a while. An alum as coach would be great ONLY if we are winning. I have been around a while and winning beats the he!! out of losing.

01-13-2020 09:32 PM
Seahawk33 Offline
Water Engineer

Would love to see us try to lure Mark Byington back to the Dub. He has done a solid job at Georgia Southern.
01-13-2020 09:33 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(01-13-2020 09:21 PM)82hawk Wrote:  It's a nice idea to have an alum, but I can't see why it would matter or help.

The landscape of college sports is changing so quickly that there is not much room or time for sentimentality. I love alums...but we need a winner no matter where they come from.

In 2006 , UNCW, VCU, and GMU all represented the CAA in the NCAA tournament. The Sh*t hit the fan at UNCW - the a big realignment happened. We were left behind in a dimished CAA , while VCU and GMU stepped up to the A-10.

We have to get back to good and stay good -or get permanently left behind.

I for wouldn't be troubled by a coach with a little "Wheel and deal" in him. Got to stay within the lines..but take it right up to the line. 'Gil Thorp' probably isn't going to get us where we want to go....

[Image: 597857.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2020 09:41 PM by 70shawk.)
01-13-2020 09:37 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
I agree with 70s. Hiring for sentimentality is likely a mistake we can’t afford. We need to hire someone that excites young players, and commands their respect simultaneously. Like him or not now, that’s what we had in Keatts and we all loved it... because we were winning. What transpired afterwards was unfortunate, but it’s time to find another similar personality.

Thankfully we have plenty of time to find the right guy, don’t have to rush into it to save recruiting, and that coach will still have time to find assistants and recruits, preferably someone with size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
01-13-2020 09:47 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

If a UNCW guy is among the best candidates for the job, sure, why not. Byington is my favorite among the options listed. The advantage being that a UNCW alum would likely be more loyal and stay a while if he wins.

But you don't force it. You get the best candidate you can here. Better a guy who has success here and bolts after 3 years than an ineffective UNCW alum. Especially since its tough to have to fire an alum; JMU is going to have go through that pretty soon with Rowe and it won't be pretty.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2020 10:41 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-13-2020 10:40 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Saw this on the Star News Dub Hub.

[Image: 1489e5dfa41ed7257b85fbd8152792fd.plist]

1. I don’t want Chad Tomko anywhere close to the bench.

2. This was from a post on the Star News Dub Hub fb status asking for people’s opinions on the firing and who should be the next coach. Since when does that pass for legit NCAA sports journalism? Is she stealing our ideas from the forums here? Along with a new coach can we maybe get a new beat reporter?

01-13-2020 10:42 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-13-2020 10:42 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Saw this on the Star News Dub Hub.

2. This was from a post on the Star News Dub Hub fb status asking for people’s opinions on the firing and who should be the next coach. Since when does that pass for legit NCAA sports journalism? Is she stealing our ideas from the forums here? Along with a new coach can we maybe get a new beat reporter?

The fact that she posted the news 30 mins after UNCW sports posted it is pathetic. Alex would have broke that shat an hour before the school announced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-13-2020 10:46 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Check out Riley's twitter feed. He has a nice writeup of his thoughts
01-14-2020 08:27 AM
Advertisement

jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
(01-13-2020 10:42 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Saw this on the Star News Dub Hub.

Went over and read that and some people are there talking about your boy Jimmy Bass. You better hustle over and defend him ASAP. The guy is a slug and needs to be replaced with someone who has the energy to do the job the right way.
01-14-2020 08:54 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

jumpinmullet Tapatalk Pro' Wrote:  Went over and read that and some people are there talking about your boy Jimmy Bass. You better hustle over and defend him ASAP. The guy is a slug and needs to be replaced with someone who has the energy to do the job the right way.

Whats the deal with the personal attack on Bass?

It's one thing to say he needs to be replaced but this seems personal
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020 09:01 AM by solohawks.)
01-14-2020 09:01 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
He could be replaced with someone who actually does the job and wants to be at UNCW. He didn't hire Buzz but he let it go on forever and put the school in a hole,got lucky when the consulting found Keatts,turned around and hires CB. Not to mention the coach of the women's team who looks like she is not gonna workout. I could on forever but those things are enough for me and he should be gone right now. I don't know Bass at all personally and don't care to know him but I would like to see the department advance at the same rate as the school and that is not happening. Winning in a few minor sports is not what needs to happen here and other than baseball the major sports are a total mess. Baseball coukd also use a guy who can actually raise a little money to get things up to par with the team on the field. Other than Keatts he has been a zero and I don't give him a lot of credit for that.
01-14-2020 09:12 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2020 09:12 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  He could be replaced with someone who actually does the job and wants to be at UNCW. He didn't hire Buzz but he let it go on forever and put the school in a hole,got lucky when the consulting found Keatts,turned around and hires CB. Not to mention the coach of the women's team who looks like she is not gonna workout. I could on forever but those things are enough for me and he should be gone right now. I don't know Bass at all personally and don't care to know him but I would like to see the department advance at the same rate as the school and that is not happening. Winning in a few minor sports is not what needs to happen here and other than baseball the major sports are a total mess. Baseball coukd also use a guy who can actually raise a little money to get things up to par with the team on the field. Other than Keatts he has been a zero and I don't give him a lot of credit for that.

Besides basketball what major sports are a mess?

Our men's soccer team won the conference this year

He gave Buzz a 4th year which is what you were advocating for McGrath.

You cant criticize him holding onto Buzz too long while also criticize him for not giving McGrath more time
01-14-2020 09:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.