Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toledo @ Kent State
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Toledo @ Kent State
The Golden Flashes host the sons of Toledo tomorrow night at the Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center. UT enters the game at 8-6, 0-1 and in the midst of a 4 game losing streak. The Rockets have had trouble producing offense during this skid, dating back 72-57 loss at Kansas.....City.

Prior to the losing streak they were putting up decent numbers and beating the likes of Marshall, CSU, Detroit Mercy and Oakland. They even took Notre Dame to overtime before falling by 2.

I don't know a ton about UT's roster, but I do know that they return Willie and Marreon Jackson (not related but both from Garfield Heights), each of whom had solid 2018-2019 seasons.

If Kent State can extend the defense and finish in transition like they did against Bowling Green a 2-0 MAC start should be right there.

I'm picking the good guys!
Kent State 73
Toledo 65
Whittington with a career night
01-06-2020 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
RE: Toledo @ Kent State
If Pippen gets it together, I see us scoring in the 80's and winning by double figures. Guard the home court.
01-06-2020 09:09 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Big key is containing Knapke. Against Ball St. he did not handle the double teams particularly well, and you can't let him get rolling. Other than him, they are very erratic. Obviously, if we come out as serious and focused as in the BG game, we'll be in good shape.
01-06-2020 09:43 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
0-1 MAC teams always concern me. Really glad this one’s at home. I think that is probably the difference.

I’ll take Kent but CLOSE.
01-06-2020 10:55 PM
FlashPan Offline
2nd String

The Toledo big guy has had a hard time finding the basket as of late. And that Notre Dame game... two teams playing very badly. If we play like the BG game, we will be in good shape.
01-07-2020 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Muskrat Offline
1st String

Nice home win and great balanced scoring.
01-07-2020 08:52 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
Toledo has enough juniors to worry us in a year. That guy from Garfield is really good. I feel like we beat a better team than we thought they were.
01-07-2020 09:37 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Man Whittington gave up some size to Knapke but it felt like every time he caught it clean on the block he was going to score. Really nice game by him. Double double and if the scoreboard was right he had at least 4 assists.

Williams had his typical all around good game but one thing he did tonight that was huge was knock down two straight threes when Toledo was giving them to him. With our whole lineup averaging in double figures and Williams ability to penetrate teams are going to really play off him unless he can force them to respect his three point shooting and tonight should certainly help. The second three came after he threw an entry pass to Whittington and his man left him to double.

With Simons, Roberts, and Pippen's ability to shoot the three, Pippen and Whittington's ability to score inside, and Williams and Roberts ability to slash that 5 man lineup is very difficult to guard and you basically have to give them something. In most cases that something is not guarding Williams beyond the three point arc. If he starts knocking down a couple threes a game with a solid percentage that lineup is an absolute nightmare.
01-07-2020 09:52 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

Toledo was the preseason pick to win the West. They haven't lived up to that, but we knew they had talent.
01-07-2020 10:07 PM
Advertisement

Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(01-07-2020 09:52 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  Man Whittington gave up some size to Knapke but it felt like every time he caught it clean on the block he was going to score. Really nice game by him. Double double and if the scoreboard was right he had at least 4 assists.

Williams had his typical all around good game but one thing he did tonight that was huge was knock down two straight threes when Toledo was giving them to him. With our whole lineup averaging in double figures and Williams ability to penetrate teams are going to really play off him unless he can force them to respect his three point shooting and tonight should certainly help. The second three came after he threw an entry pass to Whittington and his man left him to double.

With Simons, Roberts, and Pippen's ability to shoot the three, Pippen and Whittington's ability to score inside, and Williams and Roberts ability to slash that 5 man lineup is very difficult to guard and you basically have to give them something. In most cases that something is not guarding Williams beyond the three point arc. If he starts knocking down a couple threes a game with a solid percentage that lineup is an absolute nightmare.

Tonight is another example why Basketball is the ultimate team game. Our 5 and two subs could not be stopped . Great win Let’s not forget our sneaky good free throw shooting 9-10. 15 assists vs 33 made baskets.
01-07-2020 10:14 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(01-07-2020 10:14 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  
(01-07-2020 09:52 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  Man Whittington gave up some size to Knapke but it felt like every time he caught it clean on the block he was going to score. Really nice game by him. Double double and if the scoreboard was right he had at least 4 assists.

Tonight is another example why Basketball is the ultimate team game. Our 5 and two subs could not be stopped . Great win Let’s not forget our sneaky good free throw shooting 9-10. 15 assists vs 33 made baskets.

Excellent points by all .... the only thing we haven't seen since the first game or two of the season is Pippen's defensive presence (rebounding/blocked shots). That is not a criticism, but an observation considering he has otherwise played flawlessly on a pair of questionable knees going into the season.

While it doesn't look like that part of his game will show itself much, I believe most would be more than satisfied with what is being given.

A balanced offense/team defense is fantastic to have.

BTW ... Pippen is certainly doing his share of rebounding, just not the double-figure rebounding we've seen in the past with the blocked shots. Again, observation, not criticism.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2020 04:31 AM by cleveland.)
01-08-2020 04:29 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
If Toledo gets that #5-#7 seed in the Tournament they could be the sleeper team like OU in 2010.
01-08-2020 06:53 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Is anybody else having trouble getting on the internet during the game. I can’t follow stats unless I turn the internet off and get on Verizon network.
You can get on the Kent guest network but it keeps saying it’s not connected to the internet.
01-08-2020 08:19 AM
Advertisement

Muskrat Offline
1st String

It's great to start the MAC season 2-0. Looking at the schedule a few weeks ago 1-1 and even 0-2 seemed quite possible. Still, I think the MAC this year will be crazy, with no game between any two teams being a reasonably sure victory. At least KSU spotted itself to a 2-0 advantage, and an early two-game lead over both Buffalo and Miami.
01-08-2020 11:55 AM
FlashPan Offline
2nd String

The Toledo team was one that I haven't seen in the past few games. They are a first class talented team and we should be proud that Kent brought it's A game. Great win!!!
01-08-2020 12:09 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
(01-08-2020 08:19 AM)burden Wrote:  Is anybody else having trouble getting on the internet during the game. I can’t follow stats unless I turn the internet off and get on Verizon network.
You can get on the Kent guest network but it keeps saying it’s not connected to the internet.

burden, I am having the same issue. I love to log into the game on ESPN for the up to date box score. Last year, we had it. Do not know why it was dropped.
01-08-2020 02:11 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
(01-06-2020 09:09 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  If Pippen gets it together, I see us scoring in the 80's and winning by double figures. Guard the home court.

Sorry to miss by a few points. The 80 points worked out ok. I try to be more precise next time. Toledo was better than I thought.
01-08-2020 02:13 PM
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-08-2020 02:11 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  
(01-08-2020 08:19 AM)burden Wrote:  Is anybody else having trouble getting on the internet during the game. I can’t follow stats unless I turn the internet off and get on Verizon network.

burden, I am having the same issue. I love to log into the game on ESPN for the up to date box score. Last year, we had it. Do not know why it was dropped.

Actually the network is there and I can connect. I talked to someone at the last women’s game and he said they tell the opposing team to use that network and he has never gotten a complaint. He then tried it and he could not get it to work either. It works in the field house and the student union but only very sporadically at the MACC after working well for many years. It worked for a limited time yesterday and then the same issue reoccurred.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2020 04:25 PM by burden.)
01-08-2020 04:24 PM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
(01-08-2020 02:13 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  
(01-06-2020 09:09 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  If Pippen gets it together, I see us scoring in the 80's and winning by double figures. Guard the home court.

Sorry to miss by a few points. The 80 points worked out ok. I try to be more precise next time. Toledo was better than I thought.

Toledo is a good team, with talent. they probably just played their 2 toughest road games to start the MAC campaign. They will be one of the teams battling for a bye in tourney.
01-08-2020 04:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.