Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Early Look at 2020 ACC Football Schedule
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation Early Look at 2020 ACC Football Schedule
Last night I compiled all of the ACC's non-conference games on the schedule for the 2020 season, then I started looking at who has open dates. Interesting that both Clemson and Louisville have all 4 OOC games scheduled and neither one has anything in the first two weeks - meaning that both teams are free to play each other. But that's not all... Georgia Tech is also free in week one, and besides Clemson I found that the Jackets' other Atlantic division opponent - Syracuse - is also free. NC State is also free and could play one of the Atlantic teams if desired - but someone will need to move an OOC game to make things even.

Week 2 is even more interesting because right now the only teams with openings are Clemson, Louisville and Florida State...

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2020/...s-1-3.html
01-06-2020 07:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Early Look at 2020 ACC Football Schedule
On the Louisville Rivals Premium board, we tried to figure this out a couple months ago.

Here's what I found about our schedule ... and the ACC teams we are set to play next year:

- Virginia Tech hosts Liberty on Sept 5 and Penn State on Sept 12. They're out.
- BC hosts Holy Cross on Sept 5. and Ohio on Sept 12. They're out.
- Clemson is open for the first two weeks .... so that's a possibility, either of those weeks. No bueno.
- Syracuse is open on Sept 5, but hosts Rutgers on Sept 12.
- Virginia opens with Georgia on Monday the 7th, then hosts VMI on the 12th. They're out.
- Florida State opens with West Virginia in Atlanta on Sept 5, then is open on the 12th
- NC State is open on the 5th, but hosts Mississippi State on Sept 12.
- Wake Forest opens with Old Dominion on the 5th, then hosts Appalachian State on Friday the 11th. So they're out.

So ... our (Louisville's) first week opponents could be ....

at Clemson
at Syracuse
NC State at home

Our (Louisville's) second week opponents could be ...

Florida State at home
at Clemson

I don't like this much at all .... 03-puke

But it is what it is.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020 12:36 PM by Pervis_Griffith.)
01-06-2020 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-06-2020 12:34 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  On the Louisville Rivals Premium board, we tried to figure this out a couple months ago.

Here's what I found about our schedule ... and the ACC teams we are set to play next year:

- Clemson is open for the first two weeks .... so that's a possibility, either of those weeks. No bueno.
- Virginia opens with Georgia on Monday the 7th, then hosts VMI on the 12th. They're out.
- Florida State opens with West Virginia in Atlanta on Sept 5, then is open on the 12th
- Wake Forest opens with Old Dominion on the 5th, then hosts Appalachian State on Friday the 11th. So they're out.

at Clemson
at Syracuse
NC State at home

Florida State at home
at Clemson

But it is what it is.

07-coffee3

Absolute worst case: Week 1 at Clemson, then FSU week 2.
Most likely (IMO): Week 1 - NC State, Week 2 - at Clemson
(I think Clemson may play GT in week 1, but if not then GT plays at Syracuse Week 1 in which case I could see FSU playing Samford in week 2, leaving Clemson with NC State in week 1 and Louisville in week 2... but then UL would want to move either Murray State or WKU to week 1.

Whatever happens, though, SOMEONE has to move a game or else have a bye in the first 2 weeks.
01-06-2020 03:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
I thought FSU was playing WVU in week 1, BSU in week 2
01-06-2020 04:06 PM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
(01-06-2020 04:06 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I thought FSU was playing WVU in week 1, BSU in week 2

Looks like Boise State is Week 3.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/florida-state
01-06-2020 04:17 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
If ESPN wants to manage some of its most valuable football assets (GT vs CU) then they should schedule that game late in the season. While the talent level will lurch dramatically higher next season, there will be some burn in time required. Playing GT in the back half of the season is much more dangerous than playing them in the front half. GT will still lose, but they'll give Clemson a better game in the back half.
01-06-2020 04:26 PM
Advertisement

Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
As it stands now, I would expect to see some early season games end up streaming on ACCNX, especially in Week 3, where there are ten conference controlled home games that week. As we saw once this past season, the ACCN can squeeze in four games on a Saturday if someone kicks off in the AM, and maybe there is a Thursday and/or Friday night game that week on ACCN also, but if there aren't enough spots on the other ABC/ESPN networks, then some of those games will be ACCNX only since the ACCN does not have a secondary/overflow channel.
01-06-2020 04:33 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(01-06-2020 12:34 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  On the Louisville Rivals Premium board, we tried to figure this out a couple months ago.

at Clemson
at Syracuse
NC State at home

Florida State at home
at Clemson

But it is what it is.

07-coffee3

Look on the bright side. If you beat FSU and Clemson in weeks 1 and 2, Louisville could be ranked by week 3.
01-06-2020 05:30 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
NC State will open either at Clemson or Syracuse

One league school might be able to play on August 29th or 30th against an FCS OOC school.

17.10.3.2 Exception -- Nationally Televised Contest -- Championship Subdivision. [FCS] In championship subdivision football, an institution may participate in a nationally televised (broadcast or cable; not Internet only) contest against a nonconference opponent during the weekend (Saturday-Sunday) before the Thursday preceding Labor Day. Participation in such a contest is limited to one institution per conference per year. An institution that participates in such a contest for two consecutive years may not participate in such a contest in the following year. (Adopted: 4/28/16 effective 8/1/16
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020 06:20 PM by Statefan.)
01-06-2020 05:53 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-06-2020 05:53 PM)Statefan Wrote:  NC State will open either at Clemson or Syracuse

One league school might be able to play on August 29th or 30th against an FCS OOC school.

17.10.3.2 Exception -- Nationally Televised Contest -- Championship Subdivision. [FCS] In championship subdivision football, an institution may participate in a nationally televised (broadcast or cable; not Internet only) contest against a nonconference opponent during the weekend (Saturday-Sunday) before the Thursday preceding Labor Day. Participation in such a contest is limited to one institution per conference per year. An institution that participates in such a contest for two consecutive years may not participate in such a contest in the following year. (Adopted: 4/28/16 effective 8/1/16

...And GT will open against the other one - this seems likely.
01-06-2020 06:29 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

Exclamation RE: Early Look at 2020 ACC Football Schedule
One early game has already been moved... according to the C-USA 2020 football schedule just released, Charlotte at Duke (previously scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 19th) will be played on Thursday, Sept. 17... can you say ACCN?

Still no change to the logjam that is weeks 1 and 2.
01-08-2020 08:09 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
After taking off the tinfoil hat that Kap wants to put on me I had the following thought:

Saturday August 29th Citadel at Clemson
Thursday September 3rd NC State at Syracuse
Friday September 4th Holy Cross at BC or Miami Ohio at Pitt
Saturday September 5th regular games and FSU/West Virginia
Sunday September 6th Clemson at GT
Monday September 7th UVa/UGa

Thinking of ways to maximize a FCS game, if Clemson can host an FCS early, it's a boost for them and opens their week before South Carolina. Then you get NC State and Syracuse out there before either has a loss. You use a Friday night slot to maximize an FCS/MAC game. You take up the Sunday before Labor Day since there is not an NFL contest. But what do I know?
01-08-2020 09:42 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-06-2020 05:53 PM)Statefan Wrote:  NC State will open either at Clemson or Syracuse

Won't be Syracuse vs NCSt in Week One. The Dome is out of commission until mid September due to the new roof installation. I heard Syracuse should be traveling to Clemson in Week One.

Either NCSt or Syracuse could get a dreaded Week One Bye
01-08-2020 09:58 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

A week one bye is absolutely unacceptable - for ANY team!
01-09-2020 12:03 AM

They really want to open a second consecutive year with a nationally telecast Clemson-GT game that serves primarily as a Clemson lovefest where half the ESPN people working the game don't know that GT is the opponent? Because... ?
01-09-2020 12:09 AM
Chris02m1 Offline
2nd String

syracuse moving there western michigan game from 9/26 would make a ton of sense as western michigan is playign colgate that day so should be able to move it
01-10-2020 06:43 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Clemson will likely be screwed over by being forced to play on Opening Thursday night on the network again. It’s how they **** us over for putting our foot down and refusing to host Thursday and Friday games in the past. Never mind the fact that it costs your football bell cow one of only seven chances to recruit in the best game day atmosphere in the conference. Never mind the inconvenience it puts upon the school having to cancel classes, and the fact that fans have to miss work and kids miss multiple days of school. Never mind the fact it would be a prime chance to get exposure for one of the other sad sack schools who likely will not sniff another televised prime time game all year. Never mind the fact there’s schools in the conference who for some reason relish Thursday night games. Let’s make the one school in the conference that absolutely hates them host for reasons. #goacc
01-10-2020 07:35 PM

(01-10-2020 07:35 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Clemson will likely be screwed over by being forced to play on Opening Thursday night on the network again. It’s how they **** us over for putting our foot down and refusing to host Thursday and Friday games in the past. Never mind the fact that it costs your football bell cow one of only seven chances to recruit in the best game day atmosphere in the conference. Never mind the inconvenience it puts upon the school having to cancel classes, and the fact that fans have to miss work and kids miss multiple days of school. Never mind the fact it would be a prime chance to get exposure for one of the other sad sack schools who likely will not sniff another televised prime time game all year. Never mind the fact there’s schools in the conference who for some reason relish Thursday night games. Let’s make the one school in the conference that absolutely hates them host for reasons. #goacc

Yes but we're all taking these Thursday hits. It's the cost of doing business with the mouse, at least while Swofford is negotiating and the conference is wholesale underperforming.

Also, who pissed in your corn flakes this morning? That was extra salty even for you.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2020 08:08 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
01-10-2020 08:08 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(01-10-2020 06:43 PM)Chris02m1 Wrote:  syracuse moving there western michigan game from 9/26 would make a ton of sense as western michigan is playign colgate that day so should be able to move it

Hopefully an option. I'd rather open at WMU over Labor Day weekend than at Clemson. I'm sure you agree too. WMU can play Colgate on 9/26 or 9/19
01-10-2020 08:55 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(01-10-2020 08:08 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Yes but we're all taking these Thursday hits. It's the cost of doing business with the mouse, at least while Swofford is negotiating and the conference is wholesale underperforming.

Also, who pissed in your corn flakes this morning? That was extra salty even for you.

It's coming from someone who just doesn't care anymore.

I will say there would be one good thing to come from playing on opening Thursday: There's the chance we can finally show these delusional Syracuse fans what a hot and loud stadium really looks like. Here's a hint: it doesn't resemble a glorified dairy barn.
01-10-2020 09:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.