Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why are AAC Refs so bad?
Helicopter Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC
Why are AAC Refs so bad?
Am I salty about losing to Tulane? -- you betcha. Let me state for the record UC lost because of poor rebounding, second half turnovers and an impressive ft shooting performance by, frankly, a good ft shooting team. Hats off.

But my god, this is the 5th AAC game this year that I have been aghast at how poor our collection of officials are. This crew couldn't understand what a goaltend was (both ways), often times missed pretty basic out of bounds calls and missed nearly every block/charge in favor of a charge call. They even delayed the game by 60 seconds to call a delay of game penalty on the bench during live ball play.

Is our league worse than other leagues? I watch a handful of big ten, big 12, sec and acc games throughout the week and I never see some of the sloppy 8th grade level sh*t I see from the AAC crews. Is this confirmation bias?

For sake of argument, let's ignore TV Teddy and focus on some of the more regular crews. I think the most egregious and widespread issue is the block/charge. Charge should generally be 30% of the calls to 70% blocks. Sliding under a player in the air is not basketball -- it's dangerous and should never be rewarded.
01-06-2020 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Why are AAC Refs so bad?
There are no conference refs in basketball.

Ed Hightower sucks for lots of conferences.
01-06-2020 07:53 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
Bearcats fans complaining about refs after a loss. Must be a day ending in “y”.
01-06-2020 07:58 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
College ref's are not real good period. It is what it is...
01-06-2020 08:33 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
While refs are no longer affiliated by conference, I've been told that the "best" crews draw the biggest games with prime time television audiences. Clearly, not all officiating crews are created equal. The best crews are known. Look for them to be regularly assigned to the elite basketball conferences to officiate Duke v. UNC or KY vs. Louisville; not UC vs. Tulane.

Another dubious benefit of being P6.
01-06-2020 08:39 AM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
So glad Karl Hess retired, that guy was the worst. Even though refs are not affiliated with conferences, I betcha some are actually taking bribes or sent money for calling a “good” game. The other stuff I can put up with. Good thing 1 game does not make or break the season.
01-06-2020 09:10 AM
Helicopter Offline
2nd String

(01-06-2020 08:39 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  While refs are no longer affiliated by conference, I've been told that the "best" crews draw the biggest games with prime time television audiences. Clearly, not all officiating crews are created equal. The best crews are known. Look for them to be regularly assigned to the elite basketball conferences to officiate Duke v. UNC or KY vs. Louisville; not UC vs. Tulane.

Another dubious benefit of being P6.

Do you know if they are graded internally?
01-06-2020 09:58 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

Most Saturday games at Tulane or ECU are going to be assigned **** refs. That is the reality of this conference.
01-06-2020 10:42 AM
Helicopter Offline
2nd String

Even in a 30+ point win the Refs are atrocious.

https://twitter.com/UCBarstool/status/12...63776?s=20
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2020 04:23 PM by Helicopter.)
01-09-2020 01:13 PM
Advertisement

dubcat14 Offline
1st String

(01-09-2020 01:13 PM)Helicopter Wrote:  Even in a 30+ point win the Refs are atrocious.

https://twitter.com/ucbarstool/status/12...63776?s=21

Your link doesn't work (at least for me) but if that was the video of Jarron's "charge", it was one of the worst calls I've seen this year. Yes the refs are terrible but I take a little solace knowing it normally goes both ways..

The thing that gets me is how absolutely everything is a charge now.. blocks aren't an option. You used to have to be very strategic if you wanted to slide in under a guy driving to the basket.. now it doesn't matter - just get in the way.
01-09-2020 01:47 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(01-09-2020 01:47 PM)dubcat14 Wrote:  
(01-09-2020 01:13 PM)Helicopter Wrote:  Even in a 30+ point win the Refs are atrocious.

Your link doesn't work (at least for me) but if that was the video of Jarron's "charge", it was one of the worst calls I've seen this year. Yes the refs are terrible but I take a little solace knowing it normally goes both ways..

The thing that gets me is how absolutely everything is a charge now.. blocks aren't an option. You used to have to be very strategic if you wanted to slide in under a guy driving to the basket.. now it doesn't matter - just get in the way.

Refs are so stunningly bad at the charge block call. NBA does a really good job officiating charge/blocks so it can be done. Tulsa defender started moving while Jarron was taking off, was still sliding under Jarron as the collision happened (and hadn't even really gotten directly in front of him). It's not unique to that call. Refs seem to love calling the charge and use it far too often.
01-09-2020 02:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

(01-09-2020 02:19 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Refs are so stunningly bad at the charge block call. NBA does a really good job officiating charge/blocks so it can be done. Tulsa defender started moving while Jarron was taking off, was still sliding under Jarron as the collision happened (and hadn't even really gotten directly in front of him). It's not unique to that call. Refs seem to love calling the charge and use it far too often.

I think they just like the enthusiasm of the arm motion.. same with umps calling a 3rd strike in baseball.
01-09-2020 02:43 PM
Helicopter Offline
2nd String

I'll fix the link (it is the "charge"). I've said for a while now the charge foul is an epidemic in cbball. Falling down is not basketball. Period.
01-09-2020 03:41 PM
Advertisement

RGVCoog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UH, Iowa
(01-06-2020 07:14 AM)Helicopter Wrote:  Am I salty about losing to Tulane? -- you betcha. Let me state for the record UC lost because of poor rebounding, second half turnovers and an impressive ft shooting performance by, frankly, a good ft shooting team. Hats off.

But my god, this is the 5th AAC game this year that I have been aghast at how poor our collection of officials are. This crew couldn't understand what a goaltend was (both ways), often times missed pretty basic out of bounds calls and missed nearly every block/charge in favor of a charge call. They even delayed the game by 60 seconds to call a delay of game penalty on the bench during live ball play.

Is our league worse than other leagues? I watch a handful of big ten, big 12, sec and acc games throughout the week and I never see some of the sloppy 8th grade level sh*t I see from the AAC crews. Is this confirmation bias?

For sake of argument, let's ignore TV Teddy and focus on some of the more regular crews. I think the most egregious and widespread issue is the block/charge. Charge should generally be 30% of the calls to 70% blocks. Sliding under a player in the air is not basketball -- it's dangerous and should never be rewarded.
F
Being bad just feels so good.
01-09-2020 04:09 PM
Helicopter Offline
2nd String

Hop on in, UConn fans, the water's warm!

As much as I friendly hate UConn the charge call in last nights game was *chef's kiss*
And that happens nightly 3-4 times. I only hope it happens to every team in the league.
01-13-2020 11:52 AM
ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
(01-13-2020 11:52 AM)Helicopter Wrote:  Hop on in, UConn fans, the water's warm!

As much as I friendly hate UConn the charge call in last nights game was *chef's kiss*
And that happens nightly 3-4 times. I only hope it happens to every team in the league.

LMAO.

UGone fans have ZERO reason to be complaining about any officiating in that game.
01-13-2020 12:10 PM
Helicopter Offline
2nd String

(01-13-2020 12:10 PM)ShockerFever Wrote:  
(01-13-2020 11:52 AM)Helicopter Wrote:  Hop on in, UConn fans, the water's warm!

LMAO.

UGone fans have ZERO reason to be complaining about any officiating in that game.

I missed the game, unfortunately. 42 trips to the line is nuts!
But that sliding under a player to draw a charge is definitely garbage.
01-13-2020 03:29 PM
Advertisement

Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

TV Teddy Valentine doesn't even really try to hide that he's making the game all about him.

He's looking to provoke anyone at any time to make sure he gets on camera and his name mentioned by the announcers.
01-13-2020 03:39 PM
Helicopter Offline
2nd String

Good thing AAC showcased their best refs on ESPN prime time. Even Jay Bilas called them out all game.
(obligatory not the reason we lost qualifier)
01-17-2020 11:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.