Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Softball 2020
Bookmark and Share
UTNORTH Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Softball 2020
With football, MBB, and WBB taking so many metaphorical called third strikes lately, it reminded me that we have a defending MAC champion softball team that will begin play February 7. Thirteen players, including MAC tournament MVP pitcher Erin Hunt, return. The number 2 pitcher is also back. Lost 5 seniors and two very good players in Kylie Norwood and Amy Ill. Tough out of conference schedule features Tennessee, Stanford, Notre Dame, Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan and others. Coach Abraham seems to be the real deal. Are we going to become a softball school?
01-04-2020 04:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Softball 2020
Make it happen. But some heaters in on their field for fans to enjoy games

Still not convinced that the Carter Hall site is where the softball field should be. I think a replacement dorm is better use for that site with baseball and softball south of Fetterman relocating the computer center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-04-2020 05:31 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Softball 2020
(01-04-2020 05:31 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Make it happen. But some heaters in on their field for fans to enjoy games

Still not convinced that the Carter Hall site is where the softball field should be. I think a replacement dorm is better use for that site with baseball and softball south of Fetterman relocating the computer center.

Not sure about a replacement dorm since we can't fill the ones we have. The computer center property is way too small for even one field, let alone two.
01-04-2020 07:03 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Softball 2020
(01-04-2020 07:03 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(01-04-2020 05:31 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Make it happen. But some heaters in on their field for fans to enjoy games

Not sure about a replacement dorm since we can't fill the ones we have. The computer center property is way too small for even one field, let alone two.

I have printed out aerial photos of the existing fields at Scott Park and laid them on this property and it works. Baseball closest to fetterman on a NE to SE axis Home to 2B. Softball south of that. Hopefully this attachment is readable

A university that does not have money to burn should not be ripping up roadways built in the last 15 years or so to build a baseball and softball facility for a non revenue sport. The university in their master plan stated they have square footage to burn that whatever is in this computer center could be relocated. Most everyone has a laptop so computer labs are hardly necessary. Server moves are costly as well but it is worth study

If we don’t need the dorm space then just make it green space that could used on game days

. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e12200338e4...06_001.pdf

01-05-2020 12:45 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

It work well, looks good to me as a amateur planner
01-06-2020 09:48 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-05-2020 12:45 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  

I have printed out aerial photos of the existing fields at Scott Park and laid them on this property and it works. Baseball closest to fetterman on a NE to SE axis Home to 2B. Softball south of that. Hopefully this attachment is readable

A university that does not have money to burn should not be ripping up roadways built in the last 15 years or so to build a baseball and softball facility for a non revenue sport. The university in their master plan stated they have square footage to burn that whatever is in this computer center could be relocated. Most everyone has a laptop so computer labs are hardly necessary. Server moves are costly as well but it is worth study

If we don’t need the dorm space then just make it green space that could used on game days

Well, you proved me wrong on that! The only thing I would say is that you would lose quite a bit of parking and some would complain about losing some woods also. One of the ideas in the original plan was having the fields back-to-back to share walls and concessions/restrooms to save money. Also think that moving all of the servers etc. in the computer center could be a big deal.
01-06-2020 11:10 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

Closer proximity to Fetterman for real indoor work would be valuable.

Time the computer center move with a hardware upgrade and that negates a lot of the costs.

UT does not have a parking problem but a walking problem. Could always add a level to the lot behind Savage that would make the bridge across Douglas more palatable
01-06-2020 01:29 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-06-2020 11:10 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(01-05-2020 12:45 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  

Well, you proved me wrong on that! The only thing I would say is that you would lose quite a bit of parking

"quite a bit is an understatement." Often used by alums to use the SRC, maybe not a great idea. And a butterfly might be more efficient because you could then use the space between shared sideline (right-field-left field lines) for stands and concessions without someone having to walk clear to the outfield to get a dog. I might even turn them both into campus so traffic isn't being bombed.

Vanderbilt has an amazingly efficient set-up on their facilities. I can see the goal to recreate that but it might not be practical because of what is already there.
01-06-2020 02:05 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

If you look at other schools facilities, the stacking is pretty common. Here is how I would handle concessions. I would create a food truck that could be used at the soccer, softball and baseball facility and even on football game days.

Facing the softball field to the west is a bad ballpark configuration that I have discussed on here before.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/lost-in-the-su...ientation/
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/stadium...nting.html
01-07-2020 09:09 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(01-07-2020 09:09 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  If you look at other schools facilities, the stacking is pretty common. Here is how I would handle concessions. I would create a food truck that could be used at the soccer, softball and baseball facility and even on football game days.

Facing the softball field to the west is a bad ballpark configuration that I have discussed on here before.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/lost-in-the-su...ientation/
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/stadium...nting.html

I like the idea of food/souvenirs truck. Could also
show up downtown for Friday lunch, special events, etc.
01-07-2020 09:32 AM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Rockets kicked off the season going 2-0 on the 1st day of the HEB Classic in San Antonio, beating Creighton and Texas Southern.
https://utrockets.com/news/2020/2/7/soft...assic.aspx

DII All-American transfer Dana Denner had 6 RBIs in the 2 games.

Two more games today against Creighton again, and Incarnate Word. Single game against North Dakota tomorrow.
02-08-2020 10:15 AM
Advertisement

UTNORTH Offline
Water Engineer

(02-08-2020 10:15 AM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Rockets kicked off the season going 2-0 on the 1st day of the HEB Classic in San Antonio, beating Creighton and Texas Southern.

Two more games today against Creighton again, and Incarnate Word. Single game against North Dakota tomorrow.

Rockets finish their first weekend with a 3-2 record. On Saturday they lost the rematch with Creighton 24-1, then Hunt beat host Incarnate Word 5-1. On Sunday they lost to North Dakota 6-2. Not a bad start. Hunt can beat anyone, but the rest of the pitching is suspect. The coach complained about the defense, especially in the outfield. If they can get a reliable second pitcher, and shore up the defense they will do well.
02-09-2020 07:45 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(02-09-2020 07:45 PM)UTNORTH Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 10:15 AM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Rockets kicked off the season going 2-0 on the 1st day of the HEB Classic in San Antonio, beating Creighton and Texas Southern.

Rockets finish their first weekend with a 3-2 record. On Saturday they lost the rematch with Creighton 24-1, then Hunt beat host Incarnate Word 5-1. On Sunday they lost to North Dakota 6-2. Not a bad start. Hunt can beat anyone, but the rest of the pitching is suspect. The coach complained about the defense, especially in the outfield. If they can get a reliable second pitcher, and shore up the defense they will do well.

How can you call our pitching suspect when we lose 24-1 in a sport where 3-1 is a blowout? That’s not suspicious, that’s ample evidence to convict (watching Law and Order re-runs).
02-09-2020 08:58 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-09-2020 08:58 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

How can you call our pitching suspect when we lose 24-1 in a sport where 3-1 is a blowout? That’s not suspicious, that’s ample evidence to convict (watching Law and Order re-runs).

In softball you only need two pitchers, maybe one. Remember Tammy Johnston?
02-09-2020 09:08 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(02-09-2020 09:08 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

I remember Tami. Working on my Masters, most of my classes were at night. If Tami was on the mound for a home game, I was there. She threw smoke. Strike out after strike out. Shutout after shutout. An amazing athlete.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2020 06:51 AM by Boca Rocket.)
02-10-2020 06:50 AM
UTerry Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

That College World Series team two pitchers...…. Wasn't it Michelle Bolster???? or am I saying the wrong gal?
They were two of the best pitchers in the Midwest.... and on the same team...
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2020 01:58 PM by UTerry.)
02-10-2020 01:58 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-10-2020 01:58 PM)UTerry Wrote:  

That College World Series team two pitchers...…. Wasn't it Michelle Bolster???? or am I saying the wrong gal?

Patty Barrett was the star pitcher on the World Series team. Johnston wasn't on that team. BTW, Johnston had a a career 0.57 ERA.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2020 08:20 PM by DetroitRocket.)
02-10-2020 02:49 PM
UTerry Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-10-2020 02:49 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(02-10-2020 01:58 PM)UTerry Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 07:45 PM)UTNORTH Wrote:  Rockets finish their first weekend with a 3-2 record. On Saturday they lost the rematch with Creighton 24-1, then Hunt beat host Incarnate Word 5-1. On Sunday they lost to North Dakota 6-2. Not a bad start. Hunt can beat anyone, but the rest of the pitching is suspect. The coach complained about the defense, especially in the outfield. If they can get a reliable second pitcher, and shore up the defense they will do well.

Parry Barrett was the star pitcher on the World Series team. Johnston wasn't on that team. BTW, Johnston had a a career 0.57 ERA.

Barrett is correct but the CWS had two Gun Slingers if I recall correctly.
02-10-2020 07:36 PM
UTNORTH Offline
Water Engineer

Rockets raise their record to 7-4 with a 10-2 win over UNC Wilmington today. Erin Hunt is 6-0 on the year, but the rest of the pitchers are 1-4. They play again later today and tomorrow. Samantha Golden is having a great weekend with 2 home runs and lots of RBI. If they find a reliable #2 pitcher they can be really good.
02-29-2020 01:45 PM
UTNORTH Offline
Water Engineer

Rockets score 9 in the sixth inning to beat Robert Morris 13-1. They are 8-4, and tomorrow play Marist. Not a very stellar field in this weekend's tournament, but next weekend UT jumps into the deep end with games against Stanford (15-3 and receiving votes in the polls) and #20 Tennessee.
02-29-2020 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.