Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CAA Men's Basketball Tournament
Bookmark and Share
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

I Root For: William & Mary
CAA Men's Basketball Tournament
Good to keep this conversation in a thread that can be revisited later, instead of lost in an otherwise forgettable game thread.

The new venue will certainly be safe to access via Metro. Im 100% certain that they will have a thorough security presence spanning the 7 minute walk from Congress Heights green line station to the arena (see link below).

Do you want to stay in the area? No.
Is it a pretty walk? No.
Will it be safe? Absolutely (during game days)
Will it be cool in 5 years? Maybe, but doubt it

Stay near any metro, transfer at either L'Enfant Plaza or Metro Center to Green Line. Single transfer. Not difficult. Alternative option is the huge park-n-ride at the end of the green line (right off the beltway).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Congress...e2!5m1!1e2
12-26-2019 10:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

RE: CAA Men's Basketball Tournament 2020 - Washington, DC
There is a cluster of 3 inexpensive hotels near the park-n-ride at the end of the Green line metro.
I bet you anything they will shuttle you to the metro itself. Probably a good option for families.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Hotel...e3!5m1!1e2
12-27-2019 08:42 AM
wml33t Online
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
CAA Men's Basketball Tournament 2020 - Washington, DC
We were set on an Airbnb because we have 2 parents, 2 grandparents, and two kids under 4. Hotels get tricky with wanting separate rooms for the kids, etc.

What this also means is Uber isn’t an option (no car seats). I guess some taxis might be?

I grew up in northern Virginia so I’m fairly familiar with the options there. Alexandria could work, but some days that could be a real pain of a drive.

My gut tells me we need to choose between Alexandria and just drive in or Maryland close to the green line metro. Which stop on the metro has the large park and ride?

I had wanted to Airbnb nearby and drive if we had to, but even that I’m starting to worry with that mix of people might not be the safest option. There isn’t anything affordable by Nats park, so you’re talking about something in Anacostia, likely north a bit from the arena.

Rambling a bit - but this really is a bit of a junk situation for the tourney, especially for families. This also doesn’t even count what a nightmare getting meals is going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-27-2019 09:00 AM
tribeinexile Online
1st String

Seems like the Athletic Department could be a little more proactive here.

Identify the team hotel so some of us can get reservations there.

Perhaps running shuttles to/from the hotel.

A DC location “should” give us a home court advantage but we need to work at it.

Strangely enough, for about a week after last year’s CAAT, I thought this was W&M Athletics biggest issue/priority.
12-27-2019 09:44 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
If I were from out of town, I would, without hesitation stay at the Wharf area on the DC waterfront and take the Green line from L'Enfant Plaza to Congress Heights. You are going to be about a half mile from the DC Mall/Smithsonian and the new Spy Museum is right there. My second choice would be to stay at National Harbor and drive to the arena. Third choice is Old Town Alexandria. Just a little bit farther as long as the draw bridge isn't open, closing 495. It's 15 minutes away and there won't be traffic on the weekend. Just buy parking ahead of time. There is no reason that I can think of to stay anywhere east of the arena.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2019 10:45 AM by Tribe32.)
12-27-2019 10:44 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(12-27-2019 09:00 AM)wml33t Wrote:  We were set on an Airbnb because we have 2 parents, 2 grandparents, and two kids under 4. Hotels get tricky with wanting separate rooms for the kids, etc.

What this also means is Uber isn’t an option (no car seats). I guess some taxis might be?

I grew up in northern Virginia so I’m fairly familiar with the options there. Alexandria could work, but some days that could be a real pain of a drive.

My gut tells me we need to choose between Alexandria and just drive in or Maryland close to the green line metro. Which stop on the metro has the large park and ride?

I had wanted to Airbnb nearby and drive if we had to, but even that I’m starting to worry with that mix of people might not be the safest option. There isn’t anything affordable by Nats park, so you’re talking about something in Anacostia, likely north a bit from the arena.

Rambling a bit - but this really is a bit of a junk situation for the tourney, especially for families. This also doesn’t even count what a nightmare getting meals is going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Park N Ride next to Branch Ave stop on Greenline
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Branch...91!5m1!1e2

You could easily AirBnB in suburban Maryland. 10 minutes drive from the Branch Ave stop. Andrews Airforce base is nearby. Plentiful safe places around there.

Food during the games is the question. Until the area is more developed, a smart move by the arena owners would be to bring in an army of food/taco trucks for the days. SoCal Frank would approve...maybe he can make it happen from up there.
12-27-2019 11:43 AM
Advertisement

Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
Several of us booked at the Westin Alexandria Old Town. Driving to the arena.
12-27-2019 03:06 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

CAA Men's Basketball Tournament 2020 - Washington, DC
(12-27-2019 03:06 PM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  Several of us booked at the Westin Alexandria Old Town. Driving to the arena.

This is a good option as our gang booked here also but we also have booked at the Hotel the team stayed at last weekend which is The Melrose in Georgetown. Once we know what is really going to be the team headquarters then we will finalize. Wish the powers to be would communicate info to the fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
12-27-2019 09:02 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Email just announced the W&M headquarters will be at the Melrose Georgetown.
12-31-2019 02:49 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Interesting. Not really Georgetown given east of Rock Creek. Metro to Metro Center station, transfer to Green line to Congress Heights. Simple.
12-31-2019 03:32 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(12-31-2019 02:49 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Email just announced the W&M headquarters will be at the Melrose Georgetown.

(12-31-2019 03:32 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Interesting. Not really Georgetown given east of Rock Creek. Metro to Metro Center station, transfer to Green line to Congress Heights. Simple.

Melrose looks like a nice hotel. Right off Foggy Bottom and GW hospital.

The more obvious reason...preordained by the carpet.

[Image: 44444363.jpg]
12-31-2019 03:47 PM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

Bad advice above. You transfer at L'Enfant (not Metro Center). So walk a few blocks to Foggy Bottom to L'Enfant to Congress Heights.
12-31-2019 05:10 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

Also close to DuPont, which has a pretty good collection of restaurants. You can do Dupont -> Gallery Place to get the Green line too
12-31-2019 05:14 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(12-31-2019 02:49 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Email just announced the W&M headquarters will be at the Melrose Georgetown.

I am guessing that even though this is the designated W&M headquarters, there are no special rates being offered to Tribe fans wanting to stay there. To bad that you cannot get a room there during the tournament dates at the same rates being offered in January. Wonder why the rates go up so dramatically in March?
01-07-2020 01:33 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(01-07-2020 01:33 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  

I am guessing that even though this is the designated W&M headquarters, there are no special rates being offered to Tribe fans wanting to stay there. To bad that you cannot get a room there during the tournament dates at the same rates being offered in January. Wonder why the rates go up so dramatically in March?

Spring break vs shoulder-season Cherry Blossoms
01-07-2020 01:54 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Demand much higher plus close to Cherry Blossom time. Also rates cheaper on 3/7 and 3/8 for weekend and high on Monday 3/9!
01-07-2020 01:55 PM
Advertisement

TribeFan1983 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wm & Mary
(01-07-2020 01:55 PM)wmmii Wrote:  

Demand much higher plus close to Cherry Blossom time. Also rates cheaper on 3/7 and 3/8 for weekend and high on Monday 3/9!

Rates are also lower in Dec/ Jan when Congress is not in session.
01-07-2020 02:00 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(01-07-2020 01:55 PM)wmmii Wrote:  

Do what I plan to do ....stay at my brother's house! (also a W&M grad, by the way) ....Oh, wait, there way be a wee bit too many ........
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2020 08:18 PM by Zorch.)
01-07-2020 08:17 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

If you can't get to Kaplan for the remainder of the regular season due to distance, you need to secure tickets/plans now to be in Washington and support this golden chance. Tribe green and gold needs to dominate the arena all weekend.
01-12-2020 04:22 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

01-15-2020 05:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.