Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fed up with cable! Please advise....
Bookmark and Share
Purple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
I gotta' cut the cord. I know we have discussed this before, but I am beyond pi$$ed off with my viewing options.

I don't really need cable. I don't watch TV at all. My wife watches Dancing With The Stars. That's about it. Network TV can dry up and go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

I pay for Flo and ESPN+ in addition to my $180 a month basic cable/internet bill, and today I was still not able to watch JMU play Weber on ESPN2, even through Madizone. I can't begin to describe my frustration.

But, what to do? Firestick? I think that would satisfy my network TV needs, but what about internet?

I am finished with Spectrum. I want and need something better and cheaper. Please advise. Thanks a million.
12-22-2019 01:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
What the hell is Spectrum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-22-2019 02:15 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

RE: Fed up with cable! Please advise....
(12-22-2019 02:15 AM)JMU_Newbill Wrote:  What the hell is Spectrum?

Also known as Charter, a cable TV provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-22-2019 02:17 AM
JMUPride Offline
1st String

I like Playstation vue but it's shutting down in a few months, so I'm moving to YouTube tv... Seems like the best choice for sports + more channel options
12-22-2019 02:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
The game wasn’t on ESPN2. It was on ESPNU.

That would explain why you couldn’t watch it.
12-22-2019 07:30 AM
GOMRDS Offline
Water Engineer

I've been w/o cable for 3 years, and I don't really miss it. We have:
- a paper-thin antenna that picks up OTA (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX).
- Netflix
- Hulu. Last year around this time they ran a $1/mo special for 12 mos. Keep an eye out for that.
- For ESPN broadcasts many people borrow online login credentials from friends/family, then stream via the computer and beam onto a TV.

I think I pay $85/mo for all of the above, including internet.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2019 07:40 AM by GOMRDS.)
12-22-2019 07:39 AM
Advertisement

CvilleDukes Offline
Bench Warmer

Cool RE: Fed up with cable! Please advise....
I can’t help with the internet part as our only option is CenturyLink out in BFE (they might have the worst customer service of anyone), but we have a Roku and use Sling for our channels. I pay $30 for the TV package which gets all of the ESPN channels. If I need Fox sports or the NBC sports networks, it would be $50 per month. They don’t have MASN though if that’s a concern. Other concern would be if you want more than 1 ESPN feed at a time. If so, you’ll need to pay for a 2nd stream.
12-22-2019 07:44 AM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

We dropped Spectrum about six months ago and went to You Tube TV

It has been outstanding
12-22-2019 09:03 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(12-22-2019 01:48 AM)Purple Wrote:  I gotta' cut the cord. I know we have discussed this before, but I am beyond pi$$ed off with my viewing options.

I don't really need cable. I don't watch TV at all. My wife watches Dancing With The Stars. That's about it. Network TV can dry up and go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

I pay for Flo and ESPN+ in addition to my $180 a month basic cable/internet bill, and today I was still not able to watch JMU play Weber on ESPN2, even through Madizone. I can't begin to describe my frustration.

But, what to do? Firestick? I think that would satisfy my network TV needs, but what about internet?

I am finished with Spectrum. I want and need something better and cheaper. Please advise. Thanks a million.
You mean ESPNU? Paying that much a month and no ESPNU? With Verizon Fios I pay about $185 a month for top tier cable package (course includes ESPNU, high speed internet, DVR, and landline (because of alarm system)). Even my prior mid tier plan included ESPNU. I wonder if any basic plans do. Sounds like Spectrum sucks big time. Any other cable provider options for you?
12-22-2019 12:02 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-22-2019 07:30 AM)Potomac Wrote:  The game wasn’t on ESPN2. It was on ESPNU.

No, that wasn't it. I clicked on the game on the menu and was told it wasn't available in my area. I don't have ESPN2 or ESPNU. I do have ESPN+ that I pay $5 a month for and couldn't get it there, either.
12-22-2019 12:08 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-22-2019 09:03 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  We dropped Spectrum about six months ago and went to You Tube TV

It has been outstanding

Can the kids piggyback off the parents subscription (even if they are away at school)?
12-22-2019 12:18 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(12-22-2019 12:08 PM)Purple Wrote:  

No, that wasn't it. I clicked on the game on the menu and was told it wasn't available in my area. I don't have ESPN2 or ESPNU. I do have ESPN+ that I pay $5 a month for and couldn't get it there, either.

Any other cable options besides Sprectrum?
12-22-2019 12:21 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(12-22-2019 01:48 AM)Purple Wrote:  I gotta' cut the cord. I know we have discussed this before, but I am beyond pi$$ed off with my viewing options.

I would recommend getting an antenna for free over the air TV. This should meet your wife's immediate Dancing with the Stars need and requires minimal investment ($30 to $40 max)

The FCS championship game will be on your local ABC so that will cover that game and you already have Flo for the rest of JMU

After that it all depends on what you want.

You can piecemeal together plan that works best for you
12-22-2019 12:29 PM
mad_dog97 Offline
2nd String

Here's a great site that compares most (all?) of the cord cutting options, including what individual channels are on each.

https://cordcutting.com/compare/live-tv-...-channels/
12-22-2019 01:04 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
(12-22-2019 12:18 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 09:03 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  We dropped Spectrum about six months ago and went to You Tube TV

It has been outstanding

Can the kids piggyback off the parents subscription (even if they are away at school)?

I have a 2nd home and use the same account at both places without issue. The local channels are where your account is initially set up. For example I get Augusta GA local channels when in am in Virginia.
12-22-2019 01:27 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
currently on the YoutubeTV trial. 14 days free. I'm not even using that very much! Goes to show how much I might actually miss TV in general.
12-22-2019 04:19 PM
Advertisement

Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-22-2019 12:21 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 12:08 PM)Purple Wrote:  

Any other cable options besides Sprectrum?

Plenty. I will start checking them out. The YouTube TV option that has been mentioned here sounds like a good idea.

I just checked out my cable bill and $85 of it is internet. I should be able to get that for $50 elsewhere.

Has anyone tried Firestick or any of the other antennas?
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019 08:58 AM by Purple.)
12-22-2019 06:58 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-22-2019 04:19 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  currently on the YoutubeTV trial. 14 days free. I'm not even using that very much! Goes to show how much I might actually miss TV in general.

Yeah, I don't watch TV at all, but my wife does. We just have basic cable and she is happy with that.
12-22-2019 07:01 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

2 months ago, I subscribed to YouTube TV because...

1. Comcast sucks.
2. Comcast doesn't offer the ACC Network.
3. Comcast sucks.
and...
4. Comcast sucks.

I was able to juggle my Xfinity cable package(s) due to Comcast sucking to save about $30 a month that now goes towards the $50 a month YT TV subscription - of course, this is due to Comcast sucking. The only thing I keep sucking Comcast for is my wife wants to watch Investigation Discovery, Hallmark and all that stuff that isn't available via You Tube TV, who doesn't suck and offers the ACC Network along with lots of other sports channels. And, just in case you didn't know...Comcast sucks!

Note, very pleased with YouTube TV.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019 09:23 AM by Wear Purple.)
12-23-2019 09:22 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe this thread should be moved? Mods?
12-23-2019 01:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.