Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC Football To Leave CBS
Bookmark and Share
ICThawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU
SEC Football To Leave CBS
Looks like CBS opted out of renewing the SEC football contract when "bidding" exceeded $300M. Now looks like ESPN/ABC will be the replacement.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-B...2/SEC.aspx
12-20-2019 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: SEC Football To Leave CBS
(12-20-2019 08:37 PM)ICThawk Wrote:  Looks like CBS opted out of renewing the SEC football contract when "bidding" exceeded $300M. Now looks like ESPN/ABC will be the replacement.

Some points of interest after having read the SBJ report and the CBS announcement:

1. The CBS offer was ~$300,000,000 more than the $275,000,000 figure I had previously heard.

2. The ABC offer was reported at more than 6 times the current contract of $55 million. That would put it somewhere over $330 million. FOX is yet to bid so it could go higher.

3. At $330 million each SEC school would realize an increase in the TV media revenue in excess of $18.3 million. That means (even after the conference share is deducted) that the payout using 2018's reported revenue would rise from 43.7 million to 62 million per school and that does not account for this year's total which is yet to be reported, or the escalators in the ESPN portion of the contract or the CBS portion of the contract.

4. CBS reported their highest offer in their press release and noted that it is possible that the winning bidder will buyout the remaining portion of the CBS contract which means the SEC could realize this windfall much sooner than 2024.

5. It is not wholly unreasonable to expect that by 2024 the SEC could actually be earning closer to 68 million per school.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019 01:09 AM by JRsec.)
12-21-2019 01:08 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
One strength of leaving CBS, and there are many, would be that we probably won't have 4 hour games anymore. That extra hour cuts into the audience for the other SEC games regardless of what network they're on.

It kind of amazes me the way CBS played this whole thing. They wouldn't budge when the SEC expanded in 2012. They ran our games long every daggum stinking week just to suck every last potential ad dollar they could out of the games. They gave us annoying announcers every week. They occasionally questioned the credibility of the league.

I won't miss them.

However, I would rather go with FOX as long as certain conditions are met. I don't want there to be too much power concentrated with Disney.
12-21-2019 04:33 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-21-2019 04:33 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  One strength of leaving CBS, and there are many, would be that we probably won't have 4 hour games anymore. That extra hour cuts into the audience for the other SEC games regardless of what network they're on.

It kind of amazes me the way CBS played this whole thing. They wouldn't budge when the SEC expanded in 2012. They ran our games long every daggum stinking week just to suck every last potential ad dollar they could out of the games. They gave us annoying announcers every week. They occasionally questioned the credibility of the league.

I won't miss them.

However, I would rather go with FOX as long as certain conditions are met. I don't want there to be too much power concentrated with Disney.

I agree on all points but you left out the most important part about CBS. They can kiss our hairy ass on the way out! There, that completes the discussion!
12-21-2019 05:23 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
CBS was "out" for me when the venerable Verne Lundquist retired.
12-21-2019 05:36 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
(12-21-2019 01:08 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 08:37 PM)ICThawk Wrote:  Looks like CBS opted out of renewing the SEC football contract when "bidding" exceeded $300M. Now looks like ESPN/ABC will be the replacement.

Some points of interest after having read the SBJ report and the CBS announcement:

1. The CBS offer was ~$300,000,000 more than the $275,000,000 figure I had previously heard.

2. The ABC offer was reported at more than 6 times the current contract of $55 million. That would put it somewhere over $330 million. FOX is yet to bid so it could go higher.

3. At $330 million each SEC school would realize an increase in the TV media revenue in excess of $18.3 million. That means (even after the conference share is deducted) that the payout using 2018's reported revenue would rise from 43.7 million to 62 million per school and that does not account for this year's total which is yet to be reported, or the escalators in the ESPN portion of the contract or the CBS portion of the contract.

4. CBS reported their highest offer in their press release and noted that it is possible that the winning bidder will buyout the remaining portion of the CBS contract which means the SEC could realize this windfall much sooner than 2024.

5. It is not wholly unreasonable to expect that by 2024 the SEC could actually be earning closer to 68 million per school.

Let's revisit the tweet Dennis Dodd made back in August:

It's a good question where that type of money could come from but perhaps there's a real possibility that it could come close to that number, since they're going to try to not get left behind by the SEC. Now with this news it seems that the speculation from August is about to bear out.

We could come up with all types of speculation on how it could not come true but the trend seems to go along to your theory of how it'll be the SEC, then Big Ten and then the other power groups. Like I mentioned in the main board, the overwhelming majority of the members of the Big Ten and SEC will make sure that their privileged positions relative to the rest of FBS be maintained.
12-21-2019 06:18 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
At this point, I don't think Missouri entertains a B1G offer. The money is essentially the same and they've now had several classes that haven't known life outside the SEC.

I think Kansas becomes a legitimate SEC expansion candidate. The money will be good enough for Kansas to accept its role as a SEC football punching bag, their biggest rival (Missouri) is in the conference and not going anywhere, and they join a conference with another basketball blueblood in Kentucky.
12-21-2019 10:10 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(12-21-2019 10:10 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  At this point, I don't think Missouri entertains a B1G offer. The money is essentially the same and they've now had several classes that haven't known life outside the SEC.

I think Kansas becomes a legitimate SEC expansion candidate. The money will be good enough for Kansas to accept its role as a SEC football punching bag, their biggest rival (Missouri) is in the conference and not going anywhere, and they join a conference with another basketball blueblood in Kentucky.

Probably the opposite. If SEC as is is worth that much, then adding Kansas doesn't increase the value. Almost has to be Texas or OK or even only Texas AND OK. However, it could cause another look at say a PAC and Big 12 merger or ACC and Big 12 to keep up.
12-21-2019 10:21 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(12-21-2019 10:21 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(12-21-2019 10:10 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  At this point, I don't think Missouri entertains a B1G offer. The money is essentially the same and they've now had several classes that haven't known life outside the SEC.

Probably the opposite. If SEC as is is worth that much, then adding Kansas doesn't increase the value. Almost has to be Texas or OK or even only Texas AND OK. However, it could cause another look at say a PAC and Big 12 merger or ACC and Big 12 to keep up.

Sometimes "value" is more than simply money. The value Kansas would add in men's basketball would be huge on various levels. I would be OK with the SEC adding Kansas.
12-22-2019 11:05 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(12-22-2019 11:05 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Sometimes "value" is more than simply money. The value Kansas would add in men's basketball would be huge on various levels. I would be OK with the SEC adding Kansas.

I would be fine with Kansas joining as a team to round out the numbers with, but you would have to add a football content multiplier to maximize that Teir one contract revenue. An Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, or possibly Florida State might do that.
12-22-2019 11:30 AM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(12-22-2019 11:30 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 11:05 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

I would be fine with Kansas joining as a team to round out the numbers with, but you would have to add a football content multiplier to maximize that Teir one contract revenue. An Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, or possibly Florida State might do that.

I completely agree that Kansas in the SEC would be a fantastic get. I live in Missouri and would love to see the Missouri vs. Kansas rivalry reupped, along with the Kansas vs. KY basketball matchups.

At 16, I'd love Kansas and OK as I am not sure if Texas' attitude is a good fit, and I don't want to slight A&M after they joined us. But that being said, Texas in the SEC is worth the most money.
12-23-2019 11:35 AM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
This officially ends the talk of little brother Tagalongs like Okie lite and tech

With the bar now at 100 million value to add, not even OU or UT can justify their inclusion

Kansas is now the only viable “+1” in the B12 if they come with say OU as a pair
12-23-2019 04:26 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-23-2019 04:26 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  This officially ends the talk of little brother Tagalongs like Okie lite and tech

With the bar now at 100 million value to add, not even OU or UT can justify their inclusion

Kansas is now the only viable “+1” in the B12 if they come with say OU as a pair

The Travis twee said that the new contract would be over 350 million. That tells me that we got what we were after and that the final total will probably be around 356 million because if CBS doesn't agree to sell the remaining four years of our contract that covers what we would lose by having to stay with them. If they sell out early the best thing that could happen is for our contracted amount to just start early or even at a gradated rate for the next four years.

But as to your remark 10th, I do think that's an accurate assumption. I don't think Tech or Oklahoma State can be priced in at those levels and I made such a comment on an OU board when discussing this.

I pretty much believe that this limits remaining possible targets to pretty much Oklahoma and Texas. Notre Dame could make the grade but we don't want them and they don't want us.

It opens up an interesting question as to who a #2 might be should we land Oklahoma or Texas but not both. I do think Kansas would be viable as a #2 for either. I also think (although it seems momentarily out of reach) that North Carolina, Florida State, or Virginia Tech could be a viable #2. I say momentarily because ESPN could help with internal moves between two conferences they completely own rights to.

Texas wants to take friends with them. The partial deal may still be applicable to Texas provided that ESPN could (a) accommodate their buddies and (b) pay them off by keeping the LHN so that UT's revenue could approximate that of an SEC school. That would keep ESPN from having to elevate the revenue of the ACC to make room for Texas.

If this is the case there is a lot that I wouldn't rule out.

The simplest thing to do would be for the SEC to take Oklahoma and Kansas and call it a day.

Texas could take a partial with the ACC, and Xlance seems to think the price of that would be the ACC taking Baylor too. That would give the ACC would leave the ACC with 15 full members and two partials. To elevate their pay a bit I wouldn't be surprised if T.C.U. or Tech would be their 16th full member.

But, back in 2011 the plan was for N.C. State and Virginia Tech to move to the SEC and Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Notre Dame to join the ACC in full elevating their status to be 2nd only to the SEC.

It would not floor me if we wind up expanding with a pair like N.C. State and Virginia Tech and some kind of deal like that for the ACC were to take place. That would elevate them to a level of pay competitive with the Big 10 and SEC.

I do know something needs to be done because otherwise come 2024 the SEC and Big 10 will dwarf the ACC in revenue and Clemson and Florida State will be in conniptions trying to figure a way out come 2035. I strongly suspect the rub to a package of Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Notre Dame going all in would be UT's inability to bring along a Texas entourage.

What would happen if UT goes all in with the ACC in exchange for taking Baylor, T.C.U. and Tech with them? That's when I think you might see a Clemson and Florida State wanting to leave to head to the SEC and Oklahoma and Kansas being the offering to the Big 10 to appease them for ESPN's 49% of their rights in the upcoming deal.

So 10th, how would you feel if the latter happened?

What if the new SEC looked like this:
Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt
Clemson, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky
Alabama, Florida State, Mississippi, Mississippi State,
Arkansas, L.S.U., Missouri, Texas A&M

And the ACC became:
Boston College, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse
Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech, Louisville, N.C. State, Wake Forest
Baylor, Texas, T.C.U., Texas Tech

And the Big 10 became:
Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue
Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma

I think from a fit and happiness standpoint that gives Texas and Notre Dame the easy path they both crave.

It gives the SEC two remaining SEC caliber programs.

It gives the Big 10 a solid geographical grouping.

And it leaves the PAC alone and enhances the AAC with OSU, ISU, KSU, and WVU.
12-23-2019 05:10 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(12-23-2019 05:10 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 04:26 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  This officially ends the talk of little brother Tagalongs like Okie lite and tech

The Travis twee said that the new contract would be over 350 million. That tells me that we got what we were after and that the final total will probably be around 356 million because if CBS doesn't agree to sell the remaining four years of our contract that covers what we would lose by having to stay with them. If they sell out early the best thing that could happen is for our contracted amount to just start early or even at a gradated rate for the next four years.

But as to your remark 10th, I do think that's an accurate assumption. I don't think Tech or Oklahoma State can be priced in at those levels and I made such a comment on an OU board when discussing this.

I pretty much believe that this limits remaining possible targets to pretty much Oklahoma and Texas. Notre Dame could make the grade but we don't want them and they don't want us.

It opens up an interesting question as to who a #2 might be should we land Oklahoma or Texas but not both. I do think Kansas would be viable as a #2 for either. I also think (although it seems momentarily out of reach) that North Carolina, Florida State, or Virginia Tech could be a viable #2. I say momentarily because ESPN could help with internal moves between two conferences they completely own rights to.

Texas wants to take friends with them. The partial deal may still be applicable to Texas provided that ESPN could (a) accommodate their buddies and (b) pay them off by keeping the LHN so that UT's revenue could approximate that of an SEC school. That would keep ESPN from having to elevate the revenue of the ACC to make room for Texas.

The simplest thing to do would be for the SEC to take Oklahoma and Kansas and call it a day.

Texas could take a partial with the ACC, and Xlance seems to think the price of that would be the ACC taking Baylor too. That would give the ACC would leave the ACC with 15 full members and two partials. To elevate their pay a bit I wouldn't be surprised if T.C.U. or Tech would be their 16th full member.

But, back in 2011 the plan was for N.C. State and Virginia Tech to move to the SEC and Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Notre Dame to join the ACC in full elevating their status to be 2nd only to the SEC.

It would not floor me if we wind up expanding with a pair like N.C. State and Virginia Tech and some kind of deal like that for the ACC were to take place. That would elevate them to a level of pay competitive with the Big 10 and SEC.

I do know something needs to be done because otherwise come 2024 the SEC and Big 10 will dwarf the ACC in revenue and Clemson and Florida State will be in conniptions trying to figure a way out come 2035. I strongly suspect the rub to a package of Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Notre Dame going all in would be UT's inability to bring along a Texas entourage.

What would happen if UT goes all in with the ACC in exchange for taking Baylor, T.C.U. and Tech with them? That's when I think you might see a Clemson and Florida State wanting to leave to head to the SEC and Oklahoma and Kansas being the offering to the Big 10 to appease them for ESPN's 49% of their rights in the upcoming deal.

And the ACC became:

And the Big 10 became:

I think from a fit and happiness standpoint that gives Texas and Notre Dame the easy path they both crave.

Agree with pretty much everything there and I do like your proposed arrangement makes a lot of sense and keeps pretty much everyone happy
12-23-2019 05:54 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-23-2019 05:54 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  

And the ACC became:

And the Big 10 became:

Agree with pretty much everything there and I do like your proposed arrangement makes a lot of sense and keeps pretty much everyone happy

Except I left Miami out. Miami can take Texas Tech's place and then if the PAC wants into a new time zone they can go with ISU, KSU, OSU and TTU or not. Or Wake can step down and let Miami fill in there. Or ND whines and keeps their partial and Miami can plug in there.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019 06:09 PM by JRsec.)
12-23-2019 06:07 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

It'd probably be the latter. Domers are gonna Domer and there still won't be a champs-only format because they won't have to commit fully when so many programs are willing to schedule them (old habits die hard, ya know).

Without Florida State and Clemson, power shifts back to the Duke/UNC/Virginia core and they'd want Wake Forest to continue being a member in good standing. Anyway, I'd reshape the ACC this way:

Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor
Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami, NC State
UNC, Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest
Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College

It would interesting to watch the dynamics of the Texas 4 interacting with Tobacco Road.
12-23-2019 11:57 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-23-2019 11:57 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  It'd probably be the latter. Domers are gonna Domer and there still won't be a champs-only format because they won't have to commit fully when so many programs are willing to schedule them (old habits die hard, ya know).

Without Florida State and Clemson, power shifts back to the Duke/UNC/Virginia core and they'd want Wake Forest to continue being a member in good standing. Anyway, I'd reshape the ACC this way:

It would interesting to watch the dynamics of the Texas 4 interacting with Tobacco Road.

Where I come from we have several hackneyed phrases to cover that situation: Karma, Irony, Poetic Justice, Just Desserts, or a Pissing Contest.

Take your pick it would be worth being a beat writer just to cover the drama.

How would you like that outcome?
12-24-2019 12:31 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA

And the ACC became:

And the Big 10 became:

I could get used to that. And I would love to be a fly on the wall during the ACC meetings. Priceless!!!
12-24-2019 10:51 AM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

(12-24-2019 12:31 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 11:57 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  It'd probably be the latter. Domers are gonna Domer and there still won't be a champs-only format because they won't have to commit fully when so many programs are willing to schedule them (old habits die hard, ya know).

Where I come from we have several hackneyed phrases to cover that situation: Karma, Irony, Poetic Justice, Just Desserts, or a Pissing Contest.

Take your pick it would be worth being a beat writer just to cover the drama.

How would you like that outcome?

Another reason why Notre Dame will not commit fully to that conference. 07-coffee3
12-24-2019 01:17 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

Why in the world would Missouri entertain a B1G offer now? They make the newbies take it on the nose for years regarding payouts. Also, we play in the best conference in the country, so there's that.04-cheers
12-24-2019 08:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.