Jim Delany: SEC, ACC snub could spur playoff change
12-18-2019 01:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Jim Delany: SEC, ACC snub could spur playoff change
I think this signals that the Big Ten is a proponent of an expanded playoff that includes all of the P5 champs.

As I’ve indicated before, moving from the current set up to 5-1-2 with the next 4 out paired in NY6 bowls not serving as quarterfinal sites would be a relatively easy move and would only add 2 additional games, the semi-finals, to the package. It would also involve almost the exact same set of teams that are currently in the NY6 with the exception of 11 Utah getting in a consolation bowl over 23 Virginia.To me it’s a no brainer unless the powers at be are ready to consolidate to a P4 when the Big 12 GOR is up.
12-18-2019 01:53 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
Here is the money line----

Delany called it "painful and damaging" for a league to be left out of the playoff, echoing the recent comments from Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott. He reiterated that adjusting the current model will be difficult during the remaining six years of the cycle -- "It's no better than 50-50 that things would change," he said -- but thinks changes should continue to be discussed.

Anything even close to a 50% chance of change DURING the CURRENT 12 year deal is WAY HIGHER that I would have ever expected. I have always assumed that any move to 8 was likely a discussion for the 2025 CFP renewal.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019 01:55 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-18-2019 01:54 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Another money line. Especially coming from Ohio St.'s commissioner:

""...Somebody like an Iowa or a Kentucky or any other program that is a developmental program, taking players from three stars to compete with teams with five stars, if you used the eye test in that area, they would never be considered to be better," Delany said. "We thought it would be résumé-based, ties would go to conference champions, and strength of schedule. In that area, it doesn't reflect what I thought would occur, but it is occurring.

"I don't inject bad faith into it. I just don't think it's nearly as predictable on outcomes as I thought it might be, but it's human....""
12-18-2019 02:00 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Sounds like Big 10 is ready to go. Pac 12 and Big 12 are willing. They just need one more to make expansion happen.

Maybe Clemson's QB leaves and they have a 2 or 3 loss year. Then the ACC is on the outside looking in.

Hard to see the SEC left out soon. The bottom half is as weak as it has been in quite a while. And the top group is still very good. That means fewer upsets so no 2 loss champs.
12-18-2019 02:03 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
The SEC getting snubbed would probably change the playoff format. The ACC? They’re lucky Clemson has been an elite program in the CFP era. The ACC missing the CFP wouldn’t move the needle as much as the SEC would.
12-18-2019 02:04 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(12-18-2019 02:00 PM)bullet Wrote:  Another money line. Especially coming from Ohio St.'s commissioner:

""...Somebody like an Iowa or a Kentucky or any other program that is a developmental program, taking players from three stars to compete with teams with five stars, if you used the eye test in that area, they would never be considered to be better," Delany said. "We thought it would be résumé-based, ties would go to conference champions, and strength of schedule. In that area, it doesn't reflect what I thought would occur, but it is occurring.

"I don't inject bad faith into it. I just don't think it's nearly as predictable on outcomes as I thought it might be, but it's human....""

That's an excellent quote. You see it on this board when someone uses "NFL players" to decide which team is better. Perfect example of drawing a preconceived conclusion and then reaching for evidence to fit it.
12-18-2019 02:24 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
not sure how one would think it would be most deserving when it literally says best.
12-18-2019 02:40 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
No **** it's human. A committee selects the teams.

Just stunned by how stupid that comes off. Like, what did you really think would happen?
12-18-2019 02:43 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Delany cites Auburn being left out in 2004 as a big impetus for the CFP, but neglects to add that it took 8 years after that to get the CFP.

There is just 6 years left of the CFP.
12-18-2019 03:09 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(12-18-2019 03:09 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Delany cites Auburn being left out in 2004 as a big impetus for the CFP, but neglects to add that it took 8 years after that to get the CFP.

There is just 6 years left of the CFP.

I'd be fine with it if they took the next 4-5 years to plan what an expanded playoff would look like and negotiate with various bowls, and then announce it to start happening a year or 2 after that.
12-18-2019 03:12 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(12-18-2019 02:24 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(12-18-2019 02:00 PM)bullet Wrote:  Another money line. Especially coming from Ohio St.'s commissioner:

That's an excellent quote. You see it on this board when someone uses "NFL players" to decide which team is better. Perfect example of drawing a preconceived conclusion and then reaching for evidence to fit it.

Indeed - I have been hit with that "argument" multiple times
12-18-2019 03:27 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

For those who want to defend the bowl system, Georgia has 2 players not going to the Sugar Bowl and 4 or 5 others who haven't made up their mind. Like it or not, the bowls are just not important to most of the top players when they aren't a playoff bowl.
12-18-2019 04:09 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(12-18-2019 04:09 PM)bullet Wrote:  For those who want to defend the bowl system, Georgia has 2 players not going to the Sugar Bowl and 4 or 5 others who haven't made up their mind. Like it or not, the bowls are just not important to most of the top players when they aren't a playoff bowl.
I'll defend the bowl system.

Forget the top players, there are a ton of seniors that will be playing their final snaps in the bowl game. Doesn't matter if you, me or anybody else cares. It does matter to them and let's be happy for them. Besides, you'll be sitting home drinking beer and eating chicken wings. They will be working their a**es off to play in their final game.
12-18-2019 04:15 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
The 4 other P5s will wait and see if the Big 12 survives the expiration of its GoR intact, in which case they may well pursue an 8-team CFP for the next cycle. If it becomes a P4, however, with de facto autobids for P4 conference champs, then there is no need for expanding the CFP from the perspective of the powers-that-be. It would be preferable to simply expand the CCG to a 2-round affair than expand the CFP.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019 05:55 PM by Nerdlinger.)
12-18-2019 05:51 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(12-18-2019 02:24 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

I guess its a polite way of saying that its a program without a shot at the playoff.

This is something I've pointed out that second tier P5 programs begin to have a disadvantage as they can never get past the Clemson's, Alabama's and Ohio State's with all recruits clamoring to play for one of them.
12-18-2019 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(12-18-2019 04:15 PM)cubucks Wrote:  
(12-18-2019 04:09 PM)bullet Wrote:  For those who want to defend the bowl system, Georgia has 2 players not going to the Sugar Bowl and 4 or 5 others who haven't made up their mind. Like it or not, the bowls are just not important to most of the top players when they aren't a playoff bowl.

Forget the top players, there are a ton of seniors that will be playing their final snaps in the bowl game. Doesn't matter if you, me or anybody else cares. It does matter to them and let's be happy for them. Besides, you'll be sitting home drinking beer and eating chicken wings. They will be working their a**es off to play in their final game.

Sure, but that’s precisely the problem. Those that are leaving it all out there for good to those with a future in the sport. It’s bittersweet that it goes that way, but you can’t blame the players either way. I mean, what about teams who don’t bring their coach along for whatever reason? That spoils the game as well.
12-18-2019 07:27 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(12-18-2019 05:51 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  The 4 other P5s will wait and see if the Big 12 survives the expiration of its GoR intact, in which case they may well pursue an 8-team CFP for the next cycle. If it becomes a P4, however, with de facto autobids for P4 conference champs, then there is no need for expanding the CFP from the perspective of the powers-that-be. It would be preferable to simply expand the CCG to a 2-round affair than expand the CFP.

How many times does this have to be said? ESPN has ZERO interest in champs only. It simply will not happen no matter how nice and neat and orderly and it makes OCD types happy-we aren't having a 4X16 where everyone places 10 conferences games and we have a 4 team champs only playoff.

On top of that, the exclusion of G5 is very problematic.
12-18-2019 07:34 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(12-18-2019 07:27 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(12-18-2019 04:15 PM)cubucks Wrote:  

Sure, but that’s precisely the problem. Those that are leaving it all out there for good to those with a future in the sport. It’s bittersweet that it goes that way, but you can’t blame the players either way. I mean, what about teams who don’t bring their coach along for whatever reason? That spoils the game as well.

I don't blame the players. Although there is certainly the argument that they have a scholarship so unless they give it up....
12-18-2019 07:36 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(12-18-2019 07:34 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(12-18-2019 05:51 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  The 4 other P5s will wait and see if the Big 12 survives the expiration of its GoR intact, in which case they may well pursue an 8-team CFP for the next cycle. If it becomes a P4, however, with de facto autobids for P4 conference champs, then there is no need for expanding the CFP from the perspective of the powers-that-be. It would be preferable to simply expand the CCG to a 2-round affair than expand the CFP.

How many times does this have to be said? ESPN has ZERO interest in champs only. It simply will not happen no matter how nice and neat and orderly and it makes OCD types happy-we aren't having a 4X16 where everyone places 10 conferences games and we have a 4 team champs only playoff.

On top of that, the exclusion of G5 is very problematic.

I'm unsure how you know ESPN that has no interest in champs only. A P4 doesn't have to be 4x16, nor do there need to be 10 conference games (I don't even know where you're getting that from). And the G5 are excluded already for most practical purposes. I don't think that in a P4 scenario it'd be de jure autobids for the P4 champs. It would just take the form of contracts with the New Year's bowls. Perhaps there would be some provision that if a conference champ was unranked, another team would be chosen instead, which could theoretically be one from outside the power conference.
12-18-2019 07:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.