Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why doesn’t MWC play their CCG in Las Vegas?
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Exclamation Why doesn’t MWC play their CCG in Las Vegas?
The WAC 16 played their CCG in Las Vegas and it was a hit. (On ABC)
They play their BB Tourney in Las Vegas and its a hit in attendance (on CBS)
Next year they lose the Vegas Bowl after over 20 years.
So...Play the MWC CCG in Las Vegas in the new stadium (on Fox)
Would be a money maker I bet as MWC fans always show up to Vegas.
12-17-2019 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Why doesn’t MWC play their CCG in Las Vegas?
(12-17-2019 09:10 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  The WAC 16 played their CCG in Las Vegas and it was a hit. (On ABC)

Not enough interest for a neutral site game.
12-17-2019 09:17 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(12-17-2019 09:17 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-17-2019 09:10 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  The WAC 16 played their CCG in Las Vegas and it was a hit. (On ABC)

I think the Pac should take theirs out of Santa Clara and go to Vegas once the new stadium is open. They already play their BBall tourny there and would be good making their conferences post season a vegas destination.
12-17-2019 09:21 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Well..now that we don’t have a bowl in Vegas, it can make more sense. As of now to play a CCG in Vegas only for fans to turn around in 2 weeks to watch the Vegas Bowl.

Think we first have to find out when the LA Bowl will be played. If it’s played on or near NYD it could work.
The #2 team goes to the AZ bowl on NYE next bowl cycle so that is plenty of time to make arrangements for fans.

But now we would have to kick out the PAC 12 playing their CCG there.
12-17-2019 09:22 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Makes sense to me if they can sell enough tickets
12-17-2019 09:24 PM
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
I remember the 1997 game - New Mexico vs. Colorado State. There was virtually NOBODY there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4wg9GuH8mA

I like Mountain West football and I follow it pretty closely. But the league is what it is: half the schools aren't going to bring many fans to Vegas for a MWC Championship game. Play it at a home-site.

I know the MWC hoops tournament is in Vegas and it does well - but that is a bit of a different dynamic. Early March is more of a travel-period than the first weekend after Thanksgiving. You can plan it more than 7-21 days out. Plus it's a smaller venue.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2019 10:03 PM by Nittany_Bearcat.)
12-17-2019 09:59 PM
Advertisement

MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(12-17-2019 09:21 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

I think the Pac should take theirs out of Santa Clara and go to Vegas once the new stadium is open. They already play their BBall tourny there and would be good making their conferences post season a vegas destination.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc.../39801229/
12-17-2019 10:06 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
Neutral sites are hard enough for the larger fan bases of the Pac 12. Hopefully, Vegas will be a more successful site for them than Santa Clara. The MWC's smaller fan bases have a harder time traveling long distances on short notice in large numbers. We forget how far places are from each other in the west. Not every trip is a short drive.

The home site works best for the MWC.
12-17-2019 11:28 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(12-17-2019 10:06 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  
(12-17-2019 09:21 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc.../39801229/

Bout time they did something smart
12-18-2019 06:09 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(12-17-2019 09:59 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  I remember the 1997 game - New Mexico vs. Colorado State. There was virtually NOBODY there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4wg9GuH8mA

I like Mountain West football and I follow it pretty closely. But the league is what it is: half the schools aren't going to bring many fans to Vegas for a MWC Championship game. Play it at a home-site.

I know the MWC hoops tournament is in Vegas and it does well - but that is a bit of a different dynamic. Early March is more of a travel-period than the first weekend after Thanksgiving. You can plan it more than 7-21 days out. Plus it's a smaller venue.

Seems like with those two teams from the front range, would be a bit hard to travel that far west for a CCG. The setup is different now as there would be a western team.
But thinking it’s still best to play at the home site. Especially, if the division champs are known till the last game.

That being said, I would love to see the MW CCG played at a neutral site.
12-18-2019 08:37 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
12-18-2019 10:22 AM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
If the PAC continues to hold their CCG on Friday night, there's no reason (other than the ones already given) why the MWC couldn't play theirs in Vegas on Saturday. Who knows? Maybe some fans would want to take in both games on a weekend trip to Vegas. Both conferences could use the extra fannies in the seats.
12-18-2019 10:47 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
MAC is the only G5 conference who pulls off a neutral site conference championship game and is usually pretty well attended at Ford Field in Detroit. Worse attendance was North Illinois vs Buffalo which are the two furthest teams and fan bases away and still drew 16,000
12-18-2019 10:51 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-18-2019 10:51 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  MAC is the only G5 conference who pulls off a neutral site conference championship game and is usually pretty well attended at Ford Field in Detroit. Worse attendance was North Illinois vs Buffalo which are the two furthest teams and fan bases away and still drew 16,000

The MAC can do it, albeit barely, because the conference is, to its credit, very tight knit culturally and geographically. That is true of no other G5 conference, all of which are polyglots culturally and geographically, even the MW in a geographic sense.

And since even P5 like the ACC and PAC have struggled in the past or present with neutral site games, it makes little sense for the MW to try it. Heck the AAC isn't even trying it.
12-18-2019 11:33 AM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Las Vegas makes great sense - a lot easier and cheaper to fly to for the northern schools (and Colorado)

Levi's is only really driveable for the California schools (even LA is a stretch)
LV is driveable for the CA schools (a bit long for Nor Cal) but easy for the Arizona Schools and Utah.

The Oregon and Washington Schools have to fly regardless.
12-18-2019 12:27 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
For the MWC, Vegas is within easy driving distance of:

UNLV
Nevada
San Diego
Fresno
Utah State
8 ish
New Mexico
San Jose

Doable (11 hours)
Boise

Flying
Hawaii
Colorado State
Wyoming
Air Force
12-18-2019 12:31 PM
Advertisement

ColumbusCard Offline
2nd String

I Root For: U of L
(12-18-2019 10:51 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  MAC is the only G5 conference who pulls off a neutral site conference championship game and is usually pretty well attended at Ford Field in Detroit. Worse attendance was North Illinois vs Buffalo which are the two furthest teams and fan bases away and still drew 16,000

That is false. Attendance has been under 16,000 6 different times. As a matter of fact, only 3 games not involving a team from Michigan have been close to 20,000 people. Kent State and NIU (both were ranked), Bowling Green vs NIU, and the first one at a neutral site in 2004 between Miami and Toledo
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019 04:55 PM by ColumbusCard.)
12-18-2019 04:53 PM
BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Vegas should be the MWC CCG.
12-18-2019 11:44 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-18-2019 04:53 PM)ColumbusCard Wrote:  

That is false. Attendance has been under 16,000 6 different times. As a matter of fact, only 3 games not involving a team from Michigan have been close to 20,000 people. Kent State and NIU (both were ranked), Bowling Green vs NIU, and the first one at a neutral site in 2004 between Miami and Toledo

And without checking Google Maps, my impression is that Bowling Green and Toledo are both closer to Detroit than WMU or CMU. The Directional Michigans and/or the Battle of I-75 schools are the ticket to good turnouts in Detroit ...
... or else, on the data, two ranked MAC schools playing 03-cloud9, which tends to be a bit less common.
12-18-2019 11:57 PM
ColumbusCard Offline
2nd String

I Root For: U of L
(12-18-2019 11:57 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(12-18-2019 04:53 PM)ColumbusCard Wrote:  

And without checking Google Maps, my impression is that Bowling Green and Toledo are both closer to Detroit than WMU or CMU. The Directional Michigans and/or the Battle of I-75 schools are the ticket to good turnouts in Detroit ...
... or else, on the data, two ranked MAC schools playing 03-cloud9, which tends to be a bit less common.

Toledo is 60 miles from Detroit with Bowling Green being 22 miles south of Toledo. WMU is 139 miles away and CMU is 156ish.

Eastern Michigan is 36 miles away but I doubt they ever make that game lol

Granted that does mean basically half the conference is only about 2.5hrs by car or less away
12-19-2019 12:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.