Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any other school had 2 big games on same day?
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Today (Saturday) at 3:30 ET, Cincinnati plays at Memphis in football for the AAC championship. The winner likely has a spot in the Cotton Bowl.

At 5 pm (1.5 hours later, so likely as halftime is ending in the football game), UC plays Xavier in basketball on our campus. This is the Crosstown Shootout, one of the greatest rivalries in college basketball.

How big is the Crosstown Shootout? As a kid growing up in a Cincinnati Catholic school, I remember that this was the one day a year we were allowed to wear something other than our uniform to school. As popular as football is, UC is still a basketball school at heart.

So this isn't just two teams playing on the same day. It's the two biggest regular season games of the year for each sport. And the games will overlap each other!

Have any other schools faced a remotely similar situation before?
12-07-2019 12:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(12-07-2019 12:38 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Today (Saturday) at 3:30 ET, Cincinnati plays at Memphis in football for the AAC championship. The winner likely has a spot in the Cotton Bowl.

At 5 pm (1.5 hours later, so likely as halftime is ending in the football game), UC plays Xavier in basketball on our campus. This is the Crosstown Shootout, one of the greatest rivalries in college basketball.

How big is the Crosstown Shootout? As a kid growing up in a Cincinnati Catholic school, I remember that this was the one day a year we were allowed to wear something other than our uniform to school. As popular as football is, UC is still a basketball school at heart.

So this isn't just two teams playing on the same day. It's the two biggest regular season games of the year for each sport. And the games will overlap each other!

Tomorrow Baylor mens basketball hosts Arizona in a top 20 matchup at the same time as they start the Big 12 title game that will probably have a playoff berth on the line
12-07-2019 01:04 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(12-07-2019 12:38 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Today (Saturday) at 3:30 ET, Cincinnati plays at Memphis in football for the AAC championship. The winner likely has a spot in the Cotton Bowl.

Arkansas State played #25 Troy in football and Georgetown in hoops on the same day winning both on the road.

Cincinnati in 2002 played #5 Oregon in hoops and North Texas in the NOLA bowl. Bearcats split the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-07-2019 04:14 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Any other school had 2 big games on same day?
In 2013 Louisville played Miami in the Russell Athletic Bowl at 6:45. This was incidentally the bowl game UofL’s last game in The Big East / American. Louisville got the invitation to the RAB after beating Cincinnati in overtime 31-24. That was the game Teddy Bridgewater single handily willed Louisville to the win.

That same day Louisville played Kentucky in basketball at 4pm in Lexington. The bowl game set-up tents in the parking lot with massive televisions so Louisville fans could tailgate and watch the basketball game. It was actually a good time.

Louisville beat Miami that day but lost to Kentucky in basketball.
12-07-2019 06:09 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
To you folks outside of Cincinnati who are not aware of the significance and intensity of the UC/Xavier rivalry, I attach an excellent summation from Grantland from a few years ago. The hate is real

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/unher...avid-west/
12-07-2019 08:13 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-07-2019 08:13 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  To you folks outside of Cincinnati who are not aware of the significance and intensity of the UC/Xavier rivalry, I attach an excellent summation from Grantland from a few years ago. The hate is real

Hey, let's get Cincy back in the Big East.

07-coffee3
12-07-2019 08:26 AM
Advertisement

True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati

I thought basketball season started Mid-January, not in the middle of football season.
12-07-2019 09:54 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(12-07-2019 09:54 AM)True Bearcat Wrote:  

I thought basketball season started Mid-January, not in the middle of football season.

You and sort of think alike. I grew up not paying attention to college hoops basically at all until December, until college football had moved to bowl season, and not really paying attention until after the first of the year, once college football was over. And that's still how I feel. I know that there have been a billion college hoops games the past month, but I have basically ignored them.

Do not like the earlier and earlier starts to either basketball season, college or NBA, but obviously I'm not the one deciding such things, LOL.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019 09:59 AM by quo vadis.)
12-07-2019 09:58 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
HUGE day for Bearcat fans. I hope for win against XU but don't foresee it.
12-07-2019 10:34 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Alright, so if God told you right now that Cincy has to win one and lose one but it's your choice, which one would you pick to win?
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019 10:50 AM by quo vadis.)
12-07-2019 10:50 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(12-07-2019 10:50 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Alright, so if God told you right now that Cincy has to win one and lose one but it's your choice, which one would you pick to win?

Beat Memphis. Conference basketball has yet to start.
12-07-2019 10:58 AM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(12-07-2019 09:58 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

You and sort of think alike. I grew up not paying attention to college hoops basically at all until December, until college football had moved to bowl season, and not really paying attention until after the first of the year, once college football was over. And that's still how I feel. I know that there have been a billion college hoops games the past month, but I have basically ignored them.

Do not like the earlier and earlier starts to either basketball season, college or NBA, but obviously I'm not the one deciding such things, LOL.

Last night I googled the NBA standings and saw Golden State was 4-19. Thought it was a glitch and double checked another site.
12-07-2019 11:03 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(12-07-2019 11:03 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(12-07-2019 09:58 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Last night I googled the NBA standings and saw Golden State was 4-19. Thought it was a glitch and double checked another site.

When you lose Curry and Thompson to injury and Durant to free agency (after an injury) you tend to lose.
12-07-2019 11:22 AM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-07-2019 10:50 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Win the AAC Football Championship hands down.
12-07-2019 11:25 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
In the MidWest, I assume it happens regularly for the Big 10 teams that have football/hockey/basketball.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2019 09:33 AM by Bronco'14.)
12-08-2019 09:32 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I see the X-Men defeated the Bearcats yesterday ... tough day.
12-08-2019 09:43 AM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Since joining the Big East, X is 5-2 against Cincinnati. I don't think anyone could've predicted that in 2012.
12-08-2019 10:20 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(12-08-2019 10:20 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Since joining the Big East, X is 5-2 against Cincinnati. I don't think anyone could've predicted that in 2012.

They did the same while playing in the A-10.
12-08-2019 10:36 AM
owl at the moon Online
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
You asked for ‘even remotely similar’ so I’ll share Rice’s big day from last month.

As sparse as our success has been in Football and Men’s BB, nobody could remember the last time both teams won on the same day.

But last month they did, both on the road, and both against that finished high in conference the previous year.
0-9 football broke their losing streak at defending East Division champs Middle Tennessee, barely avoiding blowing a 17-point lead. And basketball completed a huge 22-point comeback at UCSB (was T-2nd regular season in Big West).

So not earth shaking obviously... and not at all expected... but quite a day.
12-08-2019 08:52 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(12-08-2019 08:52 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  You asked for ‘even remotely similar’ so I’ll share Rice’s big day from last month.

As sparse as our success has been in Football and Men’s BB, nobody could remember the last time both teams won on the same day.

But last month they did, both on the road, and both against that finished high in conference the previous year.
0-9 football broke their losing streak at defending East Division champs Middle Tennessee, barely avoiding blowing a 17-point lead. And basketball completed a huge 22-point comeback at UCSB (was T-2nd regular season in Big West).

So not earth shaking obviously... and not at all expected... but quite a day.

I'm still mad about that. Thanks for the reminder
12-09-2019 12:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.