Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Five Keys to Beating Appalachian State - From the Bird's Nest
Bookmark and Share
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
If the Cajuns are going to win their first-ever outright Sun Belt title, these are (in my never humble opinion) the things that need to take place.

https://espn1420.com/five-keys-to-beatin...ds-nest-4/
12-05-2019 09:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
RE: Five Keys to Beating Appalachian State - From the Bird's Nest
Good article, I agree special teams will be critical, ULL won that phase last time out. App must change that Saturday.

App's keys to victory:

- pressure Lewis into quicker throws
- protect Zac, given time he can find Henni, Williams, Virgil
- force ULL to punt before they reach their 40 yard line, starting field position hurt App's offense last time out
- contain their RBs, I know we can't stop them, but no 25 yard runs
- win the middle 8 minutes, stay within 7 at the half, I still believe App is the deeper team
12-05-2019 09:43 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I'll sum it up in 1 sentence...play the game that got you to the CCG and don't outsmart yourself.
12-05-2019 10:52 AM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-05-2019 10:52 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I'll sum it up in 1 sentence...play the game that got you to the CCG and don't outsmart yourself.

If we would have done that in the first meeting the Cajuns would be hosting.
12-05-2019 11:00 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

(12-05-2019 11:00 AM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 10:52 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I'll sum it up in 1 sentence...play the game that got you to the CCG and don't outsmart yourself.

If we would have done that in the first meeting the Cajuns would be hoxsting.

Well, I don’t know about that, but EigenEagle is right, we have the fastest defense from side line side line in the SBC, nothing makes us happier than a team that thinks they can consistently beat us around the ends, also in the first game ULL thought they could roll out the qb on a run pass option, how did that work out. If Napier has any brains he will pound it between the tackles against an undersized DL, and then play action when we bring up the linebackers to support the run.
12-05-2019 11:39 AM
iStoopify Offline
Special Teams

Bold statement when your team lost by double digits. All it would have done is make you lose a higher scoring game.
12-05-2019 12:13 PM
Advertisement

Goronic Offline
1st String

Yeah...I don't know about that could'a, would'a, should'a thing. Heck maybe if App didn't drop so many passes we would have beat GS. That's over - we lost. End of story there.

However, unlike us being able to replay GS, you get a second shot at beating App State.

So there's that... :)
12-05-2019 12:20 PM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(12-05-2019 12:13 PM)iStoopify Wrote:  

Bold statement when your team lost by double digits. All it would have done is make you lose a higher scoring game.

You led by 3 up until the final TD drive that ended at 1:55 to go. You either did not watch the game, or you're a numbskull if you think that game was some sort of blowout. It could have very well gone in the Cajuns favor with some tweaks in the offensive play calling.
12-05-2019 12:36 PM
Yosef69 Offline
Water Engineer

(12-05-2019 12:36 PM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  

You led by 3 up until the final TD drive that ended at 1:55 to go. You either did not watch the game, or you're a numbskull if you think that game was some sort of blowout. It could have very well gone in the Cajuns favor with some tweaks in the offensive play calling.

It's just as asinine to act like if your play calling was different ours would not have changed. Drinkwitz coached that game to do just enough to win. Football games take on their own life and it's not as easy as saying "if we ran it up the gut, we would have won." Because if it was a shootout, I go advantage App every time because running teams are not idea for a shootout. But ok, you can think you were in that game. You weren't in that game from your first possession when D. Taylor ragdolled your QB.
12-05-2019 12:40 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

If both teams play their absolute best who wins?
12-05-2019 01:03 PM
Yosef69 Offline
Water Engineer

(12-05-2019 01:03 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  If both teams play their absolute best who wins?

App. Really shouldn't be up for debate. But if we come out slow like we have shown we like to, ULL.
12-05-2019 01:09 PM
Advertisement

eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
Control the line of scrimmage, on both sides of the ball. None of the cutesy play calling Napier had last time. Line up and punch them in the mouth. Also, a power run game with tempo can be absolutely horrifying to stop if you're chunking yards.

Minimize big plays. App still thrives on big plays.

No short fields. That means no turnovers and no giving up big special teams plays.

Contain both Evans and Thomas on the ground. Thomas doesn't run quite as much this year but he makes good pickups when he has to, like on that last TD drive the first time they played Louisiana.

Did it in four keys.
12-05-2019 01:28 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

(12-05-2019 01:09 PM)Yosef69 Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 01:03 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  If both teams play their absolute best who wins?

App. Really shouldn't be up for debate. But if we come out slow like we have shown we like to, ULL.
Couldn’t agree more, if we come out on the first 3 or 4 possessions, and basically just run the ball then odds are good we probably going to be behind at half. Honestly, I was pretty happy last week when we came out throwing the ball aggressively down field, I think that’s what we have to do against ULL, we come out throwing, AND Drink let’s Zac run, then I don’t think ULL, barring turnovers, will hold us under 30.
12-05-2019 01:30 PM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I think for UL to beat App, they need to throw lots of screen passes, nothing deep...also, run lots of sweeps and pitches, nothing up the middle - stay away from the middle. On defense, just mirror what Charlotte, Coastal, Georgia State and ULM did.
12-05-2019 02:27 PM
Yosef69 Offline
Water Engineer

(12-05-2019 02:27 PM)APPrising Wrote:  I think for UL to beat App, they need to throw lots of screen passes, nothing deep...also, run lots of sweeps and pitches, nothing up the middle - stay away from the middle. On defense, just mirror what Charlotte, Coastal, Georgia State and ULM did.

Billy, please take notes from this guy. This will ensure you the Ole Miss job.
12-05-2019 02:43 PM
GreatAppSt Offline
1st String

I Root For:

The winner.
12-05-2019 03:18 PM
Advertisement

balanced_view Offline
1st String

I dont think the 2 teams have any separation if both play their absolute best, game cant end in a tie. so 8 overtime 112 - 111 - somebody will will. 04-cheers
12-05-2019 04:47 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Highest ceiling by position:

I'd give App the nod at QB, WR, LB, secondary, return game

ULL: RB, OL, DL, kickers
12-05-2019 05:16 PM
swampbear Offline
1st String

Not that bold. The second quarter show the way to beat you guys and we completely got away from that.
12-05-2019 05:21 PM
AppAlum1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: App. State

I dont agree. App won the game with that 10 minute drive. Conservative play calling made it what it was. I dont think you will see that this time. And i think Louisiana will have a harder time with Apps D. I think Coach will call the game quite different from before. The question is whether Louisiana can keep up with Apps scoring. Maybe. But maybe not. Apps D has not slowed down any. I dont know what UL is going to do differently to win the game. Field position could not have been worse for App game 1. I was think that will improve. Louisianas running game is prolly their key to the game.
12-05-2019 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.