Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Commish Gill Speaks
Bookmark and Share
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Commish Gill Speaks
Gill finally spoke to the Athletic...

"we're going to go out, we're going to play the games that we have," Gill said before the latest ranking were released. "We're not going to do a bunch of talking. We're not going to disparage other conferences and other opponents. We're not going to try and argue we've got the best 3-8 team in the nation. We're going to to just go out and play football and see where it falls.

After the rankings were released Tuesday night, Gill wrote in a text message: "I am disappointed that Appalachian State is not ranked higher. They are 11-1, 6-0 on the road, the only Group of 5 team to beat two Autonomy 5 teams on the road, and I believe that their body of work deserves more respect."

Why not bring all those things up before the poll is released, it didn't disparage anyone only pointing out App's successes? This is unfortunate.
12-04-2019 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

RE: Commish Gill Speaks
I've been saying for a few weeks that I hope Commish Gill didn't go out begging (pleading) App's case. There's been plenty of those that disagree with me, for which I say isn't the job of jockeying for App to the nation belong to AD Doug Gillin? Haven't heard a word from DG on Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta radio or TV. Now this isn't a knock on DG. I wouldn't want him really out there trying to "pimp" App either. What Commish Gill said is exactly what I said a week or two ago. Win your games / Win respect.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 10:43 AM by Yosef Himself.)
12-04-2019 10:42 AM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
I'd say that's a fairly worded statement. He doesn't want to cry foul play on App's behalf only to have them lose on Saturday and ruin the conference's chances down the road.

You jockey for overall respect and let our OOC and Bowl Game records do the talking.
12-04-2019 10:46 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-04-2019 10:36 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Gill finally spoke to the Athletic...

"we're going to go out, we're going to play the games that we have," Gill said before the latest ranking were released. "We're not going to do a bunch of talking. We're not going to disparage other conferences and other opponents. We're not going to try and argue we've got the best 3-8 team in the nation. We're going to to just go out and play football and see where it falls.

After the rankings were released Tuesday night, Gill wrote in a text message: "I am disappointed that Appalachian State is not ranked higher. They are 11-1, 6-0 on the road, the only Group of 5 team to beat two Autonomy 5 teams on the road, and I believe that their body of work deserves more respect."

Why not bring all those things up before the poll is released, it didn't disparage anyone only pointing out App's successes? This is unfortunate.

Im guessing he is still learning what needs to be done as a commissioner of a G5. its just a shame the conference suffers while he's in class learning. expecting him to be better the next time our teams are in this position.
12-04-2019 10:47 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-04-2019 10:46 AM)Hail The Blue Wrote:  I'd say that's a fairly worded statement. He doesn't want to cry foul play on App's behalf only to have them lose on Saturday and ruin the conference's chances down the road.

You jockey for overall respect and let our OOC and Bowl Game records do the talking.

i agree he dont need all out cry foul, but he needs to do a lot of cheerleading and promoting. The idea is to be loud and out there so people can see you and not get lost in the shuffle.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 10:50 AM by balanced_view.)
12-04-2019 10:49 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Exactly, you don't have to put others down to talk about the great things the SBC has done this year.

How about the SBC is having one of it's best years ever, 4 P5 wins, above .500 OOC, first time ranking in the CFB poll with another team receiving votes, the conference championship game is between two teams that are 11-0 on the road this year. So many great things you can say, other than "i'm not going to discuss which 3-8 team is better". That comment alone is negative and poorly placed.

Sad.
12-04-2019 10:54 AM
Advertisement

Apps6920 Offline
2nd String

Passive,boob ,lightweight ...he should have been promoting Louisiana and App since October. Very unimpressed with Keith Gill thus far.
12-04-2019 10:58 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(12-04-2019 10:58 AM)Apps6920 Wrote:  Passive,boob ,lightweight ...he should have been promoting Louisiana and App since October. Very unimpressed with Keith Gill thus far.

Yeah, the guy texted them instead of doing a phone interview?

I think a lot of commissioners get blamed unfairly for dumb decisions their presidents make (see the CUSA commish) but this is definitely something that falls under the commish's purview that he ought to do better with.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 11:07 AM by EigenEagle.)
12-04-2019 11:06 AM
ah59396 Offline
1st String

(12-04-2019 10:58 AM)Apps6920 Wrote:  Passive,boob ,lightweight ...he should have been promoting Louisiana and App since October. Very unimpressed with Keith Gill thus far.

What in God’s name is the “3-8 team” thing in reference to? Who is arguing that? What 3-8 team?

Also he wrote in a text? Is that a joke?

I agree, very unimpressed with this statement.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 11:08 AM by ah59396.)
12-04-2019 11:08 AM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
Gill needs to take a page out of Aresco's book.
12-04-2019 11:52 AM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Ahh, until he sends you the conference championship trophy in a busted up FedX box you folks shouldn't complain. LOL!!!
12-04-2019 11:53 AM
Advertisement

GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(12-04-2019 11:08 AM)ah59396 Wrote:  

What in God’s name is the “3-8 team” thing in reference to? Who is arguing that? What 3-8 team?

Bottom line: Beat the South Georgia Milli Vanillies and we wouldn’t be having this conversation. No one to blame but ourselves. Perfect is what’s needed for us. We weren’t perfect.
12-04-2019 12:32 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(12-04-2019 12:32 PM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

Bottom line: Beat the South Georgia Milli Vanillies and we wouldn’t be having this conversation. No one to blame but ourselves. Perfect is what’s needed for us. We weren’t perfect.

If App had to be perfect to have a shot over a potential 2 loss AAC team, he should be out stumping with facts about the conferences rise as a whole. It isn't difficult to offer a premise and provide some factual data points to back up your argument.

Of course going undefeated is ideal but has any Sun Belt team done this? No. Is any Sun Belt team likely to do this? No. Why? Because most of us have to schedule games with P5 contenders who pay well for us to sign a one and done deal. The AAC and MWC don't have this issue due to TV cash and geography, respectively.

Cincinnati deserves some kudos for having Ohio State on their schedule but the rest of their conference has an unimpressive OOC slate for P5 opponents almost every year.
12-04-2019 12:40 PM
TXSTRiverBobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas State
Sounds like Gill and our AD Larry Teis would be best friends.
12-04-2019 12:40 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2019 10:42 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  I've been saying for a few weeks that I hope Commish Gill didn't go out begging (pleading) App's case. There's been plenty of those that disagree with me, for which I say isn't the job of jockeying for App to the nation belong to AD Doug Gillin? Haven't heard a word from DG on Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta radio or TV. Now this isn't a knock on DG. I wouldn't want him really out there trying to "pimp" App either. What Commish Gill said is exactly what I said a week or two ago. Win your games / Win respect.

I get your point here but there is no pleading that needs to be done. App's play on the field has spoken for itself hence the ranking in the CFP. However, for the general public who isn't watching ESPN+ and assumes that because App isn't on ESPN or ABC week in and week out that they must not measure up, you must get out and make some noise.

Winning will take care of itself long term. But for this years squad, the future is now. It isn't next year. It isn't 5 years from now. It is in this moment that something must be said for them. They won't get to go back in time in 2025 to 2019 when some new alignment changes occur. They will be stuck with what could've been done, if anything.

If you say something and it falls on deaf ears and blind eyes, so be it. But don't be silent and assume that anyone is going to give the Sun Belt respect because App won some games. Benson did a good job getting the conference to the point it is at. Being consistently rated higher than C-USA and the MAC when the Sun Belt was behind them for the better part of 2001 to 2014. Yet, that perception of the Sun Belt being a glorified FCS league persists, why? Because winning games matters, but it isn't the only factor in elevating the perception of the conference.

A 2 win, non-bowl eligible team from the Sun Belt beat Kansas who should've beat Texas. Our 2nd place team in the West played 2-loss SMU to a 7 point loss, and could've won. App won two P5 games. Georgia State beat a bowl bound Tennessee and finished 3rd in the East Division of the Sun Belt. Absent numbers and context, this is an impressive feat.

But do people attribute this to the Sun Belt? No. They look at the teams individually. When it comes to the AAC they are viewed as a collective which helps them. Collectively, people point at USA and Texas State when discussing the Sun Belt whereas the conversation for many other conferences are the schools at the top. It's the job of the person who ultimately represents the member schools to the NCAA and public to stump. Who's to say if there is another team in the next 5 seasons that has an opportunity to even be in the conversation in the Sun Belt?

If App loses a close game to Wisconsin, or wins, and still goes 12-1 next year will they still be behind a 2-loss AAC team? If so, you have a perception issue.

Note: App has a decent chance of playing Wisconsin to one score. Every game against P5 opponents who haven't gone on to the CFP since 2015 - absent Miami - has been decided by one score or less.
12-04-2019 12:52 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2019 12:40 PM)TXSTRiverBobcat Wrote:  Sounds like Gill and our AD Larry Teis would be best friends.

Maybe they are...and Gill called asking Teis what he would say....
12-04-2019 12:52 PM
Advertisement

GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(12-04-2019 12:40 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

If App had to be perfect to have a shot over a potential 2 loss AAC team, he should be out stumping with facts about the conferences rise as a whole. It isn't difficult to offer a premise and provide some factual data points to back up your argument.

Of course going undefeated is ideal but has any Sun Belt team done this? No. Is any Sun Belt team likely to do this? No. Why? Because most of us have to schedule games with P5 contenders who pay well for us to sign a one and done deal. The AAC and MWC don't have this issue due to TV cash and geography, respectively.

Cincinnati deserves some kudos for having Ohio State on their schedule but the rest of their conference has an unimpressive OOC slate for P5 opponents almost every year.

I don’t need the commissioner fighting App’s battles. I’d rather not leave it up to that. As they used to say in the Marines: Embrace the Suck. We have one more chance to change some minds. Memphis and Cincinnati did not lose to a team they should have beaten. Move on.
12-04-2019 12:54 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2019 12:54 PM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

I don’t need the commissioner fighting App’s battles. I’d rather not leave it up to that. As they used to say in the Marines: Embrace the Suck. We have one more chance to change some minds. Memphis and Cincinnati did not lose to a team they should have beaten. Move on.

I think you're missing the point. While the Marine mantra will work in many instances, specifically in moments of duress, long-term, or otherwise, that's not how things work here. Sure, beating Georgia Southern gets you to where you want to go but there is nothing you can do about it now. You're behind Memphis, who did lose to a team they should've beat, and Cincy who probably should've lost to ECU and could've lost to Tulsa and Temple.

You can embrace the suck after your stump is done if nothing comes of it.

It's also the commissioner's job to fight battles on behalf of the schools that essentially employ them. They are there to represent the collective group. App getting to the Cotton Bowl would benefit every school in the conference, not just App. Therefor, if there is something that can be said, it needs to be said. Not in an Aresco tantrum kind of way but a thoughtful argument with a factual premise and logical conclusion supported by statistics.

This isn't as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Win with humility, lose with the same. However if there was ever a time to battle for a member school, now would be it. The AAC has been doing it since inception when they lost the NY6 autobid and it has worked well for them. The 2019 squad won't have a moment in time like they are in right now. "Seize the opportunity of a lifetime within the lifetime of the opportunity".
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 01:04 PM by ericsaid.)
12-04-2019 01:02 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Why isn't AD Doug screaming from the roof tops if that's all that was needed?

Not one appfan that I've brought that up to will even answer
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 01:06 PM by Yosef Himself.)
12-04-2019 01:06 PM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(12-04-2019 01:02 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(12-04-2019 12:54 PM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  
(12-04-2019 11:08 AM)ah59396 Wrote:  What in God’s name is the “3-8 team” thing in reference to? Who is arguing that? What 3-8 team?

I think you're missing the point. While the Marine mantra will work in many instances, specifically in moments of duress, long-term, or otherwise, that's not how things work here. Sure, beating Georgia Southern gets you to where you want to go but there is nothing you can do about it now. You're behind Memphis, who did lose to a team they should've beat, and Cincy who probably should've lost to ECU and could've lost to Tulsa and Temple.

You can embrace the suck after your stump is done if nothing comes of it.

It's also the commissioner's job to fight battles on behalf of the schools that essentially employ them. They are there to represent the collective group. App getting to the Cotton Bowl would benefit every school in the conference, not just App. Therefor, if there is something that can be said, it needs to be said. Not in an Aresco tantrum kind of way but a thoughtful argument with a factual premise and logical conclusion supported by statistics.

This isn't as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

Yeah it is. It’s really simple. Don’t lose to 7-5 sunbelt teams if you want to go to an access bowl. Embrace the Suck.
12-04-2019 01:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.