Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cig is top choice for ODU. One big issue....
Bookmark and Share
Purple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
Cig tops the wish list to replace Wilder at ODU. Correctly, this article sees one big issue: "He's already making low-level FBS money and doesn't need an Old Dominion right now."

Besides that, ODU would be a serious downgrade. The program is a dumpster fire, and I believe Cig loves the position he is in and will be happy for a few more years at least, and would love to be the man to take is to the promised land of FBS. Then again, I said the same thing about Houston when he signed the 10-year contract joke. Link....

ODU HC Christmas wish list
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 10:33 AM by Purple.)
12-03-2019 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmudukes Offline
2nd String

I Root For: jmu
RE: Cig is top choice for ODU. One big issue....
(12-03-2019 10:27 AM)Purple Wrote:  Cig tops the wish list to replace Wilder at ODU. Correctly, this article sees one big issue: "He's already making low-level FBS money and doesn't need an Old Dominion right now."

Besides that, ODU would be a serious downgrade. The program is a dumpster fire, and I believe Cig loves the position he is in and will be happy for a few more years at least, and would love to be the man to take is to the promised land of FBS.

and our Coach has already posted that he is not interested
12-03-2019 10:29 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
This thread is exactly why they need to correct the article over at Hero Sports. We're going to be rehashing this drivel for the next month on 10 different threads started by morons from all over the internet. Heck, this morning oDuh fans were chasing this idea now.

At this point, I hope they hire Stinespring and get it over with.

Its time to focus on the playoffs and winning another Natty.
12-03-2019 10:37 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

Face it, everyone has a price, even Cig. I think it would take more than Crab U. can offer to get him, but this isn't a topic we should refuse to discuss.

I think waaaaaaaaay more of Cig than I did of Houston, but multi-millions of dollars a year can change a man's mind.

Would Cig jump for $15 million over 5 years? Yep, I'm pretty sure any of us would. Will ODU offer him that? I can't see it, but I'm told they have backers with very deep pockets.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 10:55 AM by Purple.)
12-03-2019 10:54 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I think HCCC wants to avoid any unnecessary distractions and good for him for addressing it relatively quick.

Next issue!
12-03-2019 11:03 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Cig slammed the door, so the discussion is pointless. He turned down FBS schools while at Elon too, and is not a "jump at the first chance" type of guy.

If their money is that deep, they will land the top choices they have almost openly been courting: Shane Beamer or Willie Taggart.

Its no accident those names were whispered to certain reputable reporters, and outgoing coach Wilder referenced it himself.
12-03-2019 11:05 AM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(12-03-2019 10:29 AM)jmudukes Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 10:27 AM)Purple Wrote:  Cig tops the wish list to replace Wilder at ODU. Correctly, this article sees one big issue: "He's already making low-level FBS money and doesn't need an Old Dominion right now."

Besides that, ODU would be a serious downgrade. The program is a dumpster fire, and I believe Cig loves the position he is in and will be happy for a few more years at least, and would love to be the man to take is to the promised land of FBS.

If I had a nickel. 03-lmfao
12-03-2019 11:06 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(12-03-2019 11:06 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

You'd have, what, ten cents?
12-03-2019 11:14 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

His response wasn't even an official statement. Had it been something like "I am committed to JMU and this team. Blah Blah coach speak" I would take it with a grain of salt. When responding to a fan about letting it being JMU HC speculation season with a "No, it's not", that's a bit different.
Also, I mentioned this before but it's very relevant here. Look at the facts:
-Cignetti wanted this job. In fact he has wanted this job for YEARS. He applied to be the coach here in the Withers era when he wasn't even at Elon yet. So you can't blame it as a guy wanting out at Elon at all costs. He didn't get the job the first time. The job comes back up years later and he applies again! And after all of that he would leave for a 1 win team? Give me a break.
-Cignetti values winning. He's said it time and time again. He wants to be somewhere that has a winning culture, is invested in winning, and wants to be somewhere he can win and win a lot. He has said he would love to pass his father in wins.
-He has spoken about the differences between FCS/FBS programs. He does have more time and values that time that he has. Why give that up for a 1 win program where he would have to build it up from the ashes?
None of it makes sense. If he leaves, it won't be to a team like ECU or Charlotte and absolutely not ODU. It will be to a school where a guy probably retired and the school has been very successful. A place where he can win a lot of games and not have to rebuild. If a school fits that criteria then I think we'd have a risk of losing him.
Until then, we have a guy that chose JMU and wants to be at JMU. If he leaves, it's his loss, for we have pretty much everything he wants and cherishes.
12-03-2019 11:22 AM
IBleedYellow Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NDSU
That and Coach Cig basically just told ODU to F off publicly :)

https://twitter.com/JMUCurtCignetti/stat...1649172486

Badass.
12-03-2019 11:49 AM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
WTF is hero sports?
12-03-2019 11:52 AM
Advertisement

Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2019 11:22 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  

His response wasn't even an official statement. Had it been something like "I am committed to JMU and this team. Blah Blah coach speak" I would take it with a grain of salt. When responding to a fan about letting it being JMU HC speculation season with a "No, it's not", that's a bit different.
-Cignetti wanted this job. In fact he has wanted this job for YEARS. He applied to be the coach here in the Withers era when he wasn't even at Elon yet. So you can't blame it as a guy wanting out at Elon at all costs. He didn't get the job the first time. The job comes back up years later and he applies again! And after all of that he would leave for a 1 win team? Give me a break.
-Cignetti values winning. He's said it time and time again. He wants to be somewhere that has a winning culture, is invested in winning, and wants to be somewhere he can win and win a lot. He has said he would love to pass his father in wins.
-He has spoken about the differences between FCS/FBS programs. He does have more time and values that time that he has. Why give that up for a 1 win program where he would have to build it up from the ashes?
None of it makes sense. If he leaves, it won't be to a team like ECU or Charlotte and absolutely not ODU. It will be to a school where a guy probably retired and the school has been very successful. A place where he can win a lot of games and not have to rebuild. If a school fits that criteria then I think we'd have a risk of losing him.
Until then, we have a guy that chose JMU and wants to be at JMU. If he leaves, it's his loss, for we have pretty much everything he wants and cherishes.

All of these things you say about Cig we also said about Houston a year ago. The guy signed a 10-year contract. I would call that far more committed than an off-the-cuff response to a fan.

I don't think Cig is going anywhere, but many of us said the same thing about Houston.
12-03-2019 11:59 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Stupidest thread ever
12-03-2019 12:01 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2019 11:49 AM)IBleedYellow Wrote:  That and Coach Cig basically just told ODU to F off publicly :)

Badass.

Yep, it’s a shame our own fans can’t accept this and move on, because of recent history with a coach who basically lied thru his teeth while job hunting.
12-03-2019 12:02 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2019 11:49 AM)IBleedYellow Wrote:  That and Coach Cig basically just told ODU to F off publicly :)

Badass.

I love it! I would love for Cig to be the guy who takes us to FBS. At this point I favor the indy route since it looks like we aren't going to find a spot in any conference for the foreseeable future. As an independent, we will be in a better position to join a quality conference when an opening occurs and I absolutely love the freedom it gives us in scheduling. I understand the financial considerations, but watching Liberty cash in big-time playing P5s makes it look better and better. Not only making money playing P5s but increasing our profile a ton.
12-03-2019 12:12 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2019 12:01 PM)Potomac Wrote:  Stupidest thread ever

Stupidest post ever!
12-03-2019 12:13 PM
Advertisement

AllForDukes Online
Special Teams

There is nothing to see here. Move on.
12-03-2019 12:30 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2019 12:30 PM)AllForDukes Wrote:  There is nothing to see here. Move on.

Don't you just love how some people here believe that they personally get to call the shots on what gets posted?

If there is nothing to see here, then what the hell are you doing here and why are you responding to information that is unworthy of your precious attention?

I'll be sure to check with you and Potomac before I post anything else, just to be sure it is OK.
12-03-2019 12:56 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Good to see the salty Bulldog back. There's was a stretch of time when posts were infrequent and rather vanilla!
12-03-2019 01:08 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2019 11:59 AM)Purple Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 11:22 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  

All of these things you say about Cig we also said about Houston a year ago. The guy signed a 10-year contract. I would call that far more committed than an off-the-cuff response to a fan.

I don't think Cig is going anywhere, but many of us said the same thing about Houston.

Houston never applied for the JMU job before he got it. Not the case with Cignetti. When he was at IUPUI he applied for the job (when we hired Withers) and didn't have a strong enough resume to get it. It took his success at Elon to boost his resume.
Cignetti has been in the big show when he was at Alabama. Houston has never been there. Cignetti doesn't come across as a guy that really wants to be FBS at any cost. He wants Ws and legacy seems to be very important to him. Plus he has talked about the time commitment it took at Bama and he appreciates that FCS is a bit less.
Let's not forget that Cignetti is older than Houston. Time isn't on CC's side in the same way as Houston. Cignetti wants as many wins as possible.
I could be 100% wrong about Cignetti, but I really don't think I am. I know he could bolt next year or the next, but I think as long as JMU has a commitment to football, invests in football to Cignetti's liking and continues to win and win championships, Cignetti will be our coach.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 01:23 PM by JMad03.)
12-03-2019 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.