Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTEP Will Fire OC & DC Once They Find Jobs
Bookmark and Share
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
Exclamation UTEP Will Fire OC & DC Once They Find Jobs
Dimel is such a nice and caring guy. There’s rumors swirling around El Paso that Dimel is looking for a new OC and DC but will not announce the departure of Canales and Cox until they find jobs first. We have a gentleman coaching our team.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 07:42 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
12-02-2019 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ShrackUAB Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
RE: UTEP Will Fire OC & DC Once They Find Jobs
(12-02-2019 03:41 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  Dimel is such a nice and caring guy. There’s rumors swirling around El Paso that Dimel is looking for a new OC and DC but will not announce the departure of Canales and Cox until they find jobs first. We have a gentleman coaching our team.

Irrelevant, but I feel really bad for UTEP.

You guys have always been my 2nd favorite overall CUSA program and times have just been rough on your fanbase for a long time with football and MBB being down. Hoping this is the year for UTEP MBB to return to give you guys some hope
12-02-2019 03:44 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(12-02-2019 03:41 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  Dimel is such a nice and caring guy. There’s rumors swirling around El Paso that Dimel is looking for a new OC and DC but will not announce the departure of Canales and Cox until they find jobs first. We have a gentleman coaching our team.

What are the odds UTEP fires Dimel next season / what are the fanbase's expectations for next season? Realized earlier today that UTEP and Rice are now the only CUSA teams not to make a bowl in the last five years.
12-02-2019 05:24 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
I think the odds that Dimel is gone next year are very high. As bad as we were this year I think we will be worse next year. We don’t have a qb. Dimel squandered away the opportunity to evaluate our qbs of the future during the four games the ncaa allows. Instead opting to make sure our senior qb has life lasting memories as his time as an FBS qb. Our schedule is much tougher. At this time there’s no impact recruits we’re waiting for to arrive on campus. If we don’t beat NMSU in week 0 I can’t find any other wins. Many of us want to press the reset button now, but our AD seems committed to Dimel and his six year plan. Hopefully another 0-1 win season closes the book in this chapter.
12-02-2019 07:07 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Dimel is a good guy, but it won't work out. For the life of me, I can't figure out how he was so successful at Wyoming. He's a coordinator, not a head coach.

Bring in someone who will install the triple option. Win some games and go to some bowls. Maybe that will help recruiting.
12-03-2019 01:21 AM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-03-2019 01:21 AM)Ourland Wrote:  Bring in someone who will install the triple option.

[Image: kejA7Bn.jpg]
12-03-2019 05:45 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2019 05:45 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 01:21 AM)Ourland Wrote:  Bring in someone who will install the triple option.

It wins everywhere else.
12-03-2019 05:50 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(12-03-2019 05:50 AM)Ourland Wrote:  

It wins everywhere else.
Agreed. No CUSA team runs the TO and it probably would cause fits. It would get more than 2 wins that's for damn sure
12-03-2019 07:42 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
We've learned that Dimel is loyal to players and coaches and stubborn about his FB philosophy. I am speculating on this but feel fairly confident that it is accurate and that is that the newish AD is getting nervous that he made a mistake with Dimel and has had his end of season talk with him, the result being that Dimel was likely told that next year's team is much better or you (Dimel) are done.

I think Dimel, like a lot of other coaches that think a 5 or 6 or 7 year plan means you can win 1 game a year for several seasons before expectations are raised, is learning that he was wrong about that. He is now grasping at straws by changing coordinators.
12-03-2019 10:44 AM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(12-03-2019 10:44 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  We've learned that Dimel is loyal to players and coaches and stubborn about his FB philosophy. I am speculating on this but feel fairly confident that it is accurate and that is that the newish AD is getting nervous that he made a mistake with Dimel and has had his end of season talk with him, the result being that Dimel was likely told that next year's team is much better or you (Dimel) are done.

I think Dimel, like a lot of other coaches that think a 5 or 6 or 7 year plan means you can win 1 game a year for several seasons before expectations are raised, is learning that he was wrong about that. He is now grasping at straws by changing coordinators.

I have no idea what length of "plan' the Rice AD has with Bloomgren. But most of us fans are on a 2-4 year plan. I am on a 3 year plan with him. So far, he is behind schedule.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 11:03 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
12-03-2019 11:02 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

How do you hire someone who gives you a "six-year" path to success? You don't. That's when you reply by saying "this interview is over."
12-03-2019 11:38 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

There's a reason Rutgers hired Shno for 8 years. Takes a long time for a complete rebuild.
12-03-2019 11:45 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-03-2019 07:42 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

It wins everywhere else.
Agreed. No CUSA team runs the TO and it probably would cause fits. It would get more than 2 wins that's for damn sure

Short term fix. UTEP don't need to go that route.
12-03-2019 12:04 PM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2019 12:04 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 07:42 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

It wins everywhere else.

Short term fix. UTEP don't need to go that route.

Ehhh, trying to recruit kids that can pull off a scary TO is easier than most think. Get the right coach and you could have a decade of better than average at UTEP. There's a reason teams in hard situations run a TO variation like GS, Army, Navy, AF, CCU, GT.
12-03-2019 12:08 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2019 11:45 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  There's a reason Rutgers hired Shno for 8 years. Takes a long time for a complete rebuild.

A good staff will do it in 4-5 years, and without juco and "portal" players. Schiano is a proven commodity in the college game, and Rutgers was desperate to get him back. In that environment, he can demand a long contract and good pay. He'll have Rutgers competitive again within two years, and back in a bowl relatively quickly.

On the other hand, Dimel is damaged goods from his stint at UH. He came to UTEP cheaply. You don't give anyone who has failed so badly before as a head coach six years to turn your program around. UTEP won't have a program in six years if they allow this to continue. They've got to find some money to pay a good coach, or nothing will change. Bad situation...
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 12:17 PM by Ourland.)
12-03-2019 12:14 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

(12-03-2019 12:14 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 11:45 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  There's a reason Rutgers hired Shno for 8 years. Takes a long time for a complete rebuild.

A good staff will do it in 4-5 years, and without juco and "portal" players. Schiano is a proven commodity in the college game, and Rutgers was desperate to get him back. In that environment, he can demand a long contract and good pay. He'll have Rutgers competitive again within two years, and back in a bowl relatively quickly.

On the other hand, Dimel is damaged goods from his stint at UH. He came to UTEP cheaply. You don't give anyone who has failed so badly before as a head coach six years to turn your program around. UTEP won't have a program in six years if they allow this to continue. They've got to find some money to pay a good coach, or nothing will change. Bad situation...

Not sure if Rice fans are the right messengers on spending money in athletics and making good coaching hires.
12-03-2019 12:20 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2019 12:20 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 12:14 PM)Ourland Wrote:  

Not sure if Rice fans are the right messengers on spending money in athletics and making good coaching hires.

LOL! To the contrary, I think the fact that I'm a Rice fan uniquely qualifies me as the messenger on this. I've seen first-hand what not spending money on athletics can do to a program, and I've seen how a coach who installs the triple option can equal the playing field for a program with little talent.

And since we brought in Goldsmith in 1988, Rice really hasn't done badly at all with it's football coaching hires. The problem has always been mostly about a lack of caring and spending on the administration's part, as well as the stringent academic requirements. Goldsmith, Hatfield, Graham, and Bailiff were all moderately successful given the attitude toward athletics at Rice.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 01:54 PM by Ourland.)
12-03-2019 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.