Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Needs to Happen...
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
What Needs to Happen...
... to get to a bowl game?

Besides not socking out schedule with 3 money games.
11-29-2019 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KentKrazy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State
RE: What Needs to Happen...
The MAC has 5 bowl ties. There are 8 teams with bowl eligibility.
Miami and Central are guaranteed a bowl as division winners. That leaves Western, Eastern, Toledo, Buffalo, Ohio and Kent for the three remaining bowls. Buffalo and Western should take two due to their 7 wins.
So we need the last bowl to pick us over Toledo, Eastern and Ohio. My guess is we stay home this winter.
11-29-2019 03:44 PM
Skinny Pete Offline
Water Engineer

(11-29-2019 03:44 PM)KentKrazy Wrote:  The MAC has 5 bowl ties. There are 8 teams with bowl eligibility.
Miami and Central are guaranteed a bowl as division winners. That leaves Western, Eastern, Toledo, Buffalo, Ohio and Kent for the three remaining bowls. Buffalo and Western should take two due to their 7 wins.
So we need the last bowl to pick us over Toledo, Eastern and Ohio. My guess is we stay home this winter.
Blame the AD. Wisconsin,Arizona State and Auburn. No other MAC school had to run a gauntlet like that. Ridiculous. Great job by the coaches and players.
11-29-2019 03:49 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

Toledo is on a 3 game losing streak so I don't know if a bowl would want to pick them up. I doubt many Toledo fans would want to make a trip to see a potential 4th straight loss.
That would leave Ohio and EMU. With Kent beating EMU just now and being on a 3 game win streak I would Kent above them.
I don't know if I like my chances against Ohio. They have a better attendance record and beat us head to head.
11-29-2019 03:52 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
If they factor in how hot a team is we've got an edge. If they factor in SOS, we've got an edge. I also wonder if they'll consider our history and realize a who gives an **** bowl game would mean more to us than a lot of other schools.

I quickly skimmed the standings and counted bowl games today and by my very unofficial count 78 teams make bowl games and there were 75 bowl eligible teams before today's games. So there may not be very many 6-6 schools left home.
11-29-2019 04:00 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(11-29-2019 03:52 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  Toledo is on a 3 game losing streak so I don't know if a bowl would want to pick them up. I doubt many Toledo fans would want to make a trip to see a potential 4th straight loss.
That would leave Ohio and EMU. With Kent beating EMU just now and being on a 3 game win streak I would Kent above them.
I don't know if I like my chances against Ohio. They have a better attendance record and beat us head to head.

Not a stretch to see 6 teams go bowling. If so KSU likely gets the last nod ... if it's five, OU for sure.
11-29-2019 04:01 PM
Advertisement

Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(11-29-2019 03:49 PM)Skinny Pete Wrote:  
(11-29-2019 03:44 PM)KentKrazy Wrote:  The MAC has 5 bowl ties. There are 8 teams with bowl eligibility.
Blame the AD. Wisconsin,Arizona State and Auburn. No other MAC school had to run a gauntlet like that. Ridiculous. Great job by the coaches and players.

Could be mistaken , but my understanding is the bowl games require large financial commitments from invited teams. Not like big time bowls. 500-600 K was number I heard. I doubt JN can come up with that from his donor friends. Admin is facing 13 million budget shortage so highly doubtful we go anywhere. Great job by Coach Lewis and his staff and players. They deserve it. 16 points separated us from 8-0 in MAC and 9-3
11-29-2019 04:13 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(11-29-2019 04:13 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  

Could be mistaken , but my understanding is the bowl games require large financial commitments from invited teams. Not like big time bowls. 500-600 K was number I heard. I doubt JN can come up with that from his donor friends. Admin is facing 13 million budget shortage so highly doubtful we go anywhere. Great job by Coach Lewis and his staff and players. They deserve it. 16 points separated us from 8-0 in MAC and 9-3

MAC steps up with the bulk of the $$$ ... but not all. And really have to ask if 5,000 Kent 'fans' are going to pay for travel and tickets to Texas or California for a three-hour ESPN info-mercial.

The team 'earned' its 6-6 record the hard way. And let's salute them for that. But being old fashioned, don't really think they earned a 'trophy.' 6-6 is still not a winning season -- even though, again, KSU's .500 recrod is arguably better than some 7-5 teams on the board from around the country, not just the MAC.

On another note ... If Kent's growing reputation going forward is to be a winning team, even with its 3-game non-con gauntlet, I see that as a positive, much like the old Miami FB/BB teams that annually played over their head in non-con then stood tall in the MAC.

Just one opinion.
11-29-2019 04:27 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

Are there any bowls that grab left overs from conferences?
11-29-2019 04:52 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
I believe we get in on being the feel good story.
11-29-2019 05:00 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
I believe we’re an extreme long shot to go bowling which sucks. These kids and the staff deserved better but the aforementioned ADs decision to take 3 nice vacation trips and cash in at the expense of the program cost them tremendously. A bowl invite here could really help here, but I just don’t see it happening.
11-29-2019 05:09 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
And the press release they just put out either means they know something we don’t yet or they are getting way ahead of themselves.

“The Kent State football team (6-6, 5-3 MAC) are going bowling for the first time since 2012 with a 34-26 victory over Eastern Michigan (6-6, 3-5 MAC) and three straight wins to close the season.

The Golden Flashes are looking toward their fourth bowl game in program history and are eligible for just the fourth time in the last 30 years. The last time the Flashes went bowling was in 2012 when Dri Archer and company led Kent State to the GoDaddy.com Bowl.”

“The Golden Flashes now await their bowl selection. Within the next week, Kent State will know where and when they are playing in a bowl game. Follow @KentStFootball on Twitter and tune in to kentstatesports.com for additional updates.”

There’s no “ifs” in there, just where and when.
11-29-2019 05:16 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

OU is having budget problems, too.
11-29-2019 05:17 PM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
(11-29-2019 04:00 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  If they factor in how hot a team is we've got an edge. If they factor in SOS, we've got an edge. I also wonder if they'll consider our history and realize a who gives an **** bowl game would mean more to us than a lot of other schools.

I quickly skimmed the standings and counted bowl games today and by my very unofficial count 78 teams make bowl games and there were 75 bowl eligible teams before today's games. So there may not be very many 6-6 schools left home.

What I heard on ESPN today is there is 3 spots left in bowls and 11 teams have a chance to be bowl eligible. It will depend on what happens this weekend. Our win over Kennesaw State is what will hurt Kent when being compared to other teams. 03-banghead
11-29-2019 05:23 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

We have a few benefits for storylines. We have the youngest coach in FBS, high powered offense, a defense that gives up a bunch of points, seven year bowl draught, and big name alive like Saban, Edelman and so on.
11-29-2019 05:30 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

(11-29-2019 05:30 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  We have a few benefits for storylines. We have the youngest coach in FBS, high powered offense, a defense that gives up a bunch of points, seven year bowl draught, and big name alive like Saban, Edelman and so on.

+1000
11-29-2019 05:37 PM
Advertisement

AlphaFlash Offline
All American

(11-29-2019 05:17 PM)cschierh Wrote:  OU is having budget problems, too.

That's not good. What's going on?
11-29-2019 05:56 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

Saw an updated projection of Kent in the Camelia Bowl
11-29-2019 06:00 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Maybe that will help separate us from the other 6-6 teams.
11-29-2019 06:41 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog

You're assuming there is no deficits in other conferences... I would guess you're right up to UB and WMU

Ohio/Toledo will get the last MAC tie in that is a guarantee.

The other teams (loser of Ohio/Toledo), EMU, and Kent will likely have one more bowl game out there to vie over.

If it's one game I'd guess EMU and Kent stay home. If it's two games I think you get in over EMU
11-29-2019 07:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.