11/21 Richmond
11-21-2019 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
2020 Football Schedule
Midseason off week is perfect.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2019 12:12 PM by Tribal.)
11-21-2019 12:11 PM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

RE: 2020 Football Schedule
JMU loses a lot of 4th year/5th year starters, so, imagine Villanova may be the preseason favorite, who we are lucky to avoid. We are Delaware's homecoming.
11-21-2019 12:31 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

2020 Football Schedule
Nice to have Delaware back on the schedule

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
11-21-2019 12:36 PM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

Have to say I miss having Villanova, New Hampshire and Delaware every year. Just can't warm up to Albany, Stony Brook and Rhode Island.
11-21-2019 12:39 PM
2017WithPep Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William & Mary and JMU
Solid schedule with a great bye week. Albany is a manageable homecoming opponent, and I like that we have some very winnable early season home games. I think those early home wins are the best way to win over the student body.
11-21-2019 01:43 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
No Maine and Nova.

No Towson. That’s a first!

Albany and SB in the same year ... another first... and both at home.

The home games are Colgate, Elon, Albany, Stony Brook, and Richmond. From a marketing standpoint, no one is coming to those games to watch those opponents (aside from Richmond).

And that is the problem faced by football and hoops ... name recognition of the home opponents and whether folks want to come and watch those opponents.

It’s a problem; I don’t have an answer.
11-21-2019 01:59 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

(11-21-2019 01:59 PM)nj alum Wrote:  No Maine and Nova.

The home games are Colgate, Elon, Albany, Stony Brook, and Richmond. From a marketing standpoint, no one is coming to those games to watch those opponents (aside from Richmond).

And that is the problem faced by football and hoops ... name recognition of the home opponents and whether folks want to come and watch those opponents.

People will come to the first home game. Maybe even the conference opener. Albany crowd will stink. But, if we are 5-2 when Stonybrook comes to town, which is very doable, we will have a good crowd. Then again when we finish with Richmond. Pretty good schedule make up to overcome a less than appealing slate.
11-21-2019 03:02 PM
jsk928 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William and Mar
Only 11 games next year? Kind of like the 12 game schedule
11-21-2019 04:16 PM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
(11-21-2019 04:16 PM)jsk928 Wrote:  Only 11 games next year? Kind of like the 12 game schedule

In FCS, a 11 game schedule is normal. 12 games only happen on a special occasion (an extra Saturday before labor day I believe.) Next time it happens will be in 2024 and 2025 I believe.
11-21-2019 04:37 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(11-21-2019 03:02 PM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  People will come to the first home game. Maybe even the conference opener. Albany crowd will stink. But, if we are 5-2 when Stonybrook comes to town, which is very doable, we will have a good crowd. Then again when we finish with Richmond. Pretty good schedule make up to overcome a less than appealing slate.

No reason why the Albany crowd should stink. That is homecoming.
11-21-2019 04:46 PM
Advertisement

Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

(11-21-2019 04:46 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(11-21-2019 03:02 PM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  People will come to the first home game. Maybe even the conference opener. Albany crowd will stink. But, if we are 5-2 when Stonybrook comes to town, which is very doable, we will have a good crowd. Then again when we finish with Richmond. Pretty good schedule make up to overcome a less than appealing slate.

No reason why the Albany crowd should stink. That is homecoming.

Oops. Very correct. So good chance we can have 5 good crowds next year...assuming we are winning pre-Stonybrook.
11-21-2019 08:24 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

(11-21-2019 01:59 PM)nj alum Wrote:  No Maine and Nova.

I'm not seeing the home schedule particularly problematic. It's actually quite the norm.

You will have three dependably attended games:
Colgate, home opener and a night game
Elon, family weekend and another night game
UAlbany, homecoming.

That leaves Stony Brook - which will be the weakest - and the finale with Richmond, which will bring in a decent showing.
11-21-2019 08:25 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

If the team is good and wins the attendance will take care of itself.
11-22-2019 06:30 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I don't think that the attendance drop this year was because of the team and how they played. I was very entertained by every game except the last one. Even JMU was okay because it was homecoming, Tomlin was there, etc. We need to get the fans back who left due to Huge and Laycock leaving. Time for our vaunted marketing and PR folks to hit the pavement locally and stop putting signs on buses in DC. Maybe a personal call to every season ticket holder who dropped their seats. Gotta get them back or get new butts in seats. We're done with the days where opponents travel well other than JMU, Delaware, and Norfolk State.
11-22-2019 07:53 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

I generally like the lay-out of the schedule. I miss 'nova, but otherwise solid.
11-22-2019 08:51 AM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Y’all missed the point I tried to make.

The average Tidewater football fan may buy a ticket to see Richmond play football at Cary/Zable.

The average Tidewater football fan is not buying a ticket to see Colgate, Albany, and Stony Brook play football at Cary/Zable (probably applies to Elon too).

Attractiveness of home schedule is an issue.

The average Tidewater football fan buying a ticket for W&M’s first home game after they crush Stanford, or buying a ticket for an undefeated Tribe team competing at Homecoming, or buying a ticket to watch the Go Go offense steamroll Stony Brook ... those are separate issues.

But since our recruiting has been so terrible the last four years, and since London has so much ground to make up (tic), and since the AD has alienated a portion of the fan base, the attractiveness of the opponent becomes a factor in ticket sales ... and whether students show up.

Is that better?

The 2020 home schedule is not attractive. I’m going to renew season tickets to watch all those northern schools who aren’t even a part of the other CAA conference that we’re in?

This is an entertainment business. The identity of the act being brought to town does matter. That’s all I’m saying.
11-22-2019 09:29 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

2020 Football Schedule
I agree with you NJ. But I complain about this every year and I'm sure other posters are tired of me making the same post. At a minimum we should be playing JMU, Richmond, Delaware, and Villanova every year. And two of those should be home games.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
11-22-2019 09:43 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

(11-22-2019 09:29 AM)nj alum Wrote:  ....Attractiveness of home schedule is an issue. ......

The 2020 home schedule is not attractive. ........

I agree with NJ Alum and Zablenoise on many of their points -- but the two lines above can NOT be rectified as long as we are in the CAA. Four of the five home games consist of CAA brethren and if it just so happens that some/many of those teams are from the north and without historical rivalries with the Tribe then that is the situation that we have to live with.

I actually like playing New Hampshire. Stony Brook has been a good team the last few years (better than us) and Albany look like they are on the upswing. Nova and Delaware (and JMU and Richmond) should be "automatics". Which leaves Rhode Island, Maine, Elon, and Towson as the teams that I could take or leave (but, even so, I wouldn't necessarily kick them out of the league; who would we replace them with? Furman and Wofford are the only ones to spring to mind immediately).

Anyway, conference affiliation is a topic for another thread. As long as we are in the CAA then these are the teams that will be coming to Zable.
11-22-2019 10:11 AM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
I'd like it to go back to two-6 team divisions where you play the other 5 in your division every year and 3 of the other 6 on a rotational basis. Slight challenge with Elon being in the conference bumps Villanova to the "other division" but really no other way around it that I see. I'm sure they'd (understandably) fight against it. Doubt it ever happens but would like it.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2019 10:30 AM by Tribe1693.)
11-22-2019 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.