Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Maybe it's not that bad?
Bookmark and Share
edinburger Online
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
Maybe it's not that bad?
OK, so far zero (0) wins for either MBB or WBB in 6 D1 games. Losing to Corpus really hurt. But maybe it's not that bad.

MBB: None of the four losses were blowouts, two of them were played without Levi, and maybe 5-6 points of the margins in each game were run up in the last minute of intentional fouls. Out of the new players Freeman and Johnson look good although I wish Johnson (and Jackson) would quit going for dunks. Should be able to get a few WAC wins at least.

WBB: Thought 12 new players, 6 of them freshmen would be a disaster. But they played decently against Texas with a lead into the 2nd quarter. Trelynn Tyler played for the first time, 29 points. Agustus, Jones, Templeton all look strong also. And it seems like everyone on the team can hit threes. Could actually be competitive in conference.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2019 03:34 PM by edinburger.)
11-20-2019 03:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
RE: Maybe it's not that bad?
The defense is keeping the other teams in the 60's and 70's but it's the usual story every year of no offense. The defense seems to be getting better every year but the offense stays the same. That basically tells us that its a talent issue. Hill seems to be a good coach but I don't know what he could do to attract better players. Look at GCU. Majerle sucks as a coach but the huge amount talent he brought in makes up for that.
11-21-2019 03:01 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(11-21-2019 03:01 AM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  The defense is keeping the other teams in the 60's and 70's but it's the usual story every year of no offense. The defense seems to be getting better every year but the offense stays the same. That basically tells us that its a talent issue. Hill seems to be a good coach but I don't know what he could do to attract better players. Look at GCU. Majerle sucks as a coach but the huge amount talent he brought in makes up for that.

You are right Dan really sucks as a coach with a 62% winning percentage. He might not be the best coach out there but he doesn't suck. lol
11-21-2019 12:20 PM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
(11-21-2019 12:20 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  
(11-21-2019 03:01 AM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  The defense is keeping the other teams in the 60's and 70's but it's the usual story every year of no offense. The defense seems to be getting better every year but the offense stays the same. That basically tells us that its a talent issue. Hill seems to be a good coach but I don't know what he could do to attract better players. Look at GCU. Majerle sucks as a coach but the huge amount talent he brought in makes up for that.

You are right Dan really sucks as a coach with a 62% winning percentage. He might not be the best coach out there but he doesn't suck. lol

Well I didn't want to turn this into a gcu topic but if it wasn't for Majerle's nba reputation that for some reason recruits love. He doesn't really bring anything else to the table.
11-22-2019 02:16 AM
edinburger Online
1st String

(11-22-2019 02:16 AM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  
(11-21-2019 12:20 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  

Well I didn't want to turn this into a gcu topic but if it wasn't for Majerle's nba reputation that for some reason recruits love. He doesn't really bring anything else to the table.

With that demeanor it's surprising he doesn't get more technicals. Guess he knows where to draw the line. Usually.
11-22-2019 02:07 PM
Advertisement

edinburger Online
1st String

MBB: Well maybe it is that bad. 14 point half-point lead against Corpus, at home, and still managed to lose the game. It's December and we still don't have a single win against a real team. Other than the DII games all the rest of the OOC schedule is way tougher than Corpus. If we're going to be honest most of the WAC schedule is also way tougher than Corpus. Real Time RPI isn't real accurate this time of year but they have us at #351 out of 354, behind Chicago State.

WBB: Big relief, finally a solid win against a real team. Too bad Agustus is only going to be here one year.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2019 10:13 AM by edinburger.)
12-01-2019 10:07 AM
WACfan86 Online
2nd String

It may not be at all but the coach does have a worried look on his face when asked about Javon Levi:

https://youtu.be/Twqj8I7gjVY
12-01-2019 08:18 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
How long is Javon Levi expected to be out? What is his injury?
12-01-2019 11:05 PM
edinburger Online
1st String

(12-01-2019 08:18 PM)WACfan86 Wrote:  It may not be at all but the coach does have a worried look on his face when asked about Javon Levi:

https://youtu.be/Twqj8I7gjVY

Thanks for finding that video. At least we know it's an injury now. Seeing him on the bench I was worried it was something else.
12-02-2019 09:01 AM
Advertisement

PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
If it's any consolation, the WAC appears to be WAAAAAY down this year, including NMSU.
12-02-2019 11:09 AM
edinburger Online
1st String

Excellent 2OT win over Sam Houston. Varner 33-13, Bratton finally playing like a starter now that he's not, and best of all Levi back with 13 assists.

Too bad I had to teach class and missed it.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 11:27 PM by edinburger.)
12-03-2019 11:17 PM
edinburger Online
1st String

Of course we should be able to beat any NAIA team, but UTRGV still needs to take Mid America Christian seriously to avoid a major embarassment. They were national champions a few years back, and are 11-1 this year.
12-05-2019 08:29 PM
WACfan86 Online
2nd String

(12-03-2019 11:17 PM)edinburger Wrote:  Excellent 2OT win over Sam Houston. Varner 33-13, Bratton finally playing like a starter now that he's not, and best of all Levi back with 13 assists.

One of the quotes from Lew Hill:

Man we foul too much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgTilJ2rOlU
12-05-2019 11:06 PM
Advertisement

edinburger Online
1st String

(12-05-2019 11:06 PM)WACfan86 Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 11:17 PM)edinburger Wrote:  Excellent 2OT win over Sam Houston. Varner 33-13, Bratton finally playing like a starter now that he's not, and best of all Levi back with 13 assists.

One of the quotes from Lew Hill:

Man we foul too much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgTilJ2rOlU

I like how he's decided to own the "dirtiness" thing.
12-06-2019 01:31 PM
edinburger Online
1st String

Vaqueros on an actual national network. First time for me watching them on my regular TV.

Hoping we can avoid a full up thrashing.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2019 07:54 PM by edinburger.)
12-13-2019 07:54 PM
edinburger Online
1st String

WBB: Top scorer Jordan Agustus "currently unable to participate in team activities", which sounds ominous. Top rebounder Megan Johnson went down screaming and holding ankle in the 2nd Corpus loss, will be back "after the holidays". That's 21 ppg and 13 rpg worth of players gone as they go to face USC.

MBB: Off to Texas Tech and Oklahoma. At least everyone is playing now, including Sean Rhea and Isaiah Garcia.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2019 02:56 PM by edinburger.)
12-17-2019 02:55 PM
WACfan86 Online
2nd String

(12-17-2019 02:55 PM)edinburger Wrote:  WBB: Top scorer Jordan Agustus "currently unable to participate in team activities", which sounds ominous. Top rebounder Megan Johnson went down screaming and holding ankle in the 2nd Corpus loss, will be back "after the holidays". That's 21 ppg and 13 rpg worth of players gone as they go to face USC.

MBB: Off to Texas Tech and Oklahoma. At least everyone is playing now, including Sean Rhea and Isaiah Garcia.

With Agustus it is "believed" to be academic 03-nutkick, Megan Johnson probably until conference play, plus the UMASS transfer is joining the team.

MBB: WOW that showing in Creighton and Omaha is something else. While I do believe that OU and TTU are going to be tougher.
12-18-2019 03:57 AM
edinburger Online
1st String

(12-01-2019 11:05 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  How long is Javon Levi expected to be out? What is his injury?

Sorry for not replying earlier. Lew Hill seems to have a policy/strategy of not going into detail on injuries while the player is out. Once Levi came back Hill said it was the calf, and said he had to limit his minutes. But then ended up keeping him in 30 minutes first time out.
12-18-2019 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.