Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Remaining Undefeated, 1-Loss, and Winless Teams after Week 12
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Remaining Undefeated, 1-Loss, and Winless Teams after Week 12
First, thanks for all the great comments on these threads over the past several week.

Teams with 1st loss Week 12:
Minnesota
Baylor

Teams with 2nd loss Week 12:
Navy
Louisiana Tech

Teams with 1st win Week 12:
New Mexico State
Rice

Maximum number of Undefeated Teams at the End of the Regular Season:
3: Clemson, LSU, Ohio State
-Minnesota's loss didn't change anything here, but Baylor losing eliminated the Big 12 last chance at an unbeaten.

Teams with 1st loss:
Week 0 and 1: 35.38% (46 of 130)
Week 2: 38.01% (32 of 84)
Week 3: 32.69% (17 of 52)
Week 4: 34.29% (12 of 35)
Week 5: 21.74% (5 of 23)
Week 6: 11.11% (2 of 18)
Week 7: 25% (4 of 16)
Week 8: 16.67% (2 of 12)
Week 9: 10% (1 of 10)
Week 10: 22.22% (2 of 9)
Week 11: 28.57% (2 of 7)
Week 12: 40% (2 of 5)

Week 12 Thoughts:
-Lots of stories, but lets start with the list that hadn't changed in a some time. We figured we were likely to lose one of our 3 remaining winless teams this week thanks to New Mexico State playing an FCS team. That did happen, but we actually ended up losing 2 teams from the list as Rice found a way to win 31-27 over Middle Tennessee. That leaves just Akron on the winless list and just 2 weeks left for them to find a win to get off.

-Minnesota and Baylor, after surprising everyone so far, both finally lost in big games this week, leaving us with just 3 unbeatens. We've lost at least one unbeaten every week so far (which is a bit odd this late in the season, especially given the extra week and more byes). Looking at Minnesota, they have the easier time recovering for the CFP bowls. Winning out would mean a win over Wisconsin and either Ohio State or Penn State team whom had just beat Ohio State. They most likely still control their destiny.

-Baylor definitely controls their Big 12 destiny and is likely going to play Oklahoma again in the Big 12 Championship. For the CFP bowls though, they probably need a bit of help. Even if we assume the SEC only gets one in (more on that below) if the Big Ten and ACC get one, it would come down to a 1-loss Big 12 champ vs. 1-loss PAC-12 champ if they both make it that far. For the moment at least both Utah and Oregon are higher than Oklahoma and Baylor. Oklahoma might pass one of them with the next rankings, but all 4 teams need to look impressive winning the next few weeks to help their cause in case that decision arises.

-While the Tua injury was the big headline, the biggest deal from a CFP perspective was probably actually Georgia beating Auburn. That was a game they were only slightly favored in and greatly increases odds we get a 1-loss Georgia vs. undefeated LSU. If LSU wins that still hypothetical game, they are in of course. If they lose to Georgia though, Georgia will be in and it is highly like LSU is in too (making the above Big 12/PAC-12 point moot). Even with the Tua injury, Alabama should not be considered completely out either. I personally think a 1-loss Big 12/PAC-12 champ would beat them out this year either way, but it is still very possible that Alabama blows through the rest of the schedule including vs. Auburn and they make themselves very hard to leave out.

-Group of 5 Cotton Bowl Bid: Louisiana Tech lost giving them their 2nd loss. This eliminates the small chance they had (it was hard figuring a path anyway, but might have been conceivable with 1-loss). That leaves this down to the American champ, the Mountain West champ, and Appalachian State.

For our other major competitors, Navy lost to Notre Dame giving them their 2nd loss, Boise State dominated New Mexico, Memphis won on the road at Houston, and Cincinnati just keeps finding ways to win. They beat South Florida on the road in a game they were statistically behind in.

Looking forward, Boise State probably needs a 2-loss American champ and everyone else probably needs a 3 loss champ (although a strong 2 loss American champ might beat Boise and Appalachian State might be competitive vs. the right 2 loss champs). That means they need a little help over next 2 weeks. The top American teams are going to play each other somewhat over that time so that does help. Realistically, the only teams with a chance at this point (even small ones) are probably: Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, Navy, Boise State, San Diego State, Air Force, and Appalachian State.

Week 13 Thoughts:

Our winless team plays on Wednesday where winless Akron goes to 6-4 Miami (OH). Miami for its part has already wrapped its place in the MAC Championship Game and will be a big favorite.

Our undefeated teams play in the following: 1-loss Penn State @ undefeated Ohio State and Arkansas @ undefeated LSU. Clemson is off.

Our other 1-loss teams play in the following: Western Carolina @ 1-loss Alabama, 1-loss Minnesota @ Northwestern, Texas State @ 1-loss Appalachian State, Texas A&M @ 1-loss Georgia, Texas @ 1-loss Baylor, 1-loss SMU @ Navy, 1-loss Memphis @ South Florida, Temple @ 1-loss Cincinnati, 1-loss Oregon @ Arizona State, TCU @ 1-loss Oklahoma, 1-loss Utah @ Arizona, and 1-loss Boise State @ Utah State

1-loss Penn State @ undefeated Ohio State: Assuming Penn State does not lose to Rutgers the following week, the winner here is guaranteed to go to the Big Ten Championship. If you are a Big 12/PAC-12 fan, bit of a conundrum here as best way to keep Big Ten out involves Ohio State losing, but a 1-loss Ohio State would be at least in conversation even not as Big Ten champs (I'd lean out unless very close and Penn State dominates rest of way).

Texas A&M @ 1-loss Georgia: Georgia has the SEC title game locked up, but if they lose this would not be guaranteed anything by winning the SEC.

1-loss SMU @ Navy: Winner of this game is effectively 2nd place in American western division and looking for a slip up from Memphis to claim top spot. Both are still in Cotton Bowl spots if Memphis loses and both lose that with a loss.

1-loss Memphis @ South Florida: South Florida almost had Cincinnati last week and have played better than their record shows. Memphis cannot afford any loss right now given they are in a 3 way tie in their division.

Texas @ 1-loss Baylor: If Baylor can recover from the disappointment last week, this week is still huge. Beat Texas and they are in the Big 12 championship and will get their likely rematch vs. Oklahoma. Texas is not completely out of it, but they need the Bears to collapse down the stretch and both lose this week and next (@Kansas).

Temple @ 1-loss Cincinnati: Win this week and the Bearcats lock up their place in the American Championship Game. Lose and they almost certainly will have to beat Memphis the following week. Very big week.

1-loss Boise State @ Utah State: Win this and Boise State and locks up spot in Mountain West Championship Game. Lose it and we have a 3 way tie between these two and Air Force (assuming Air Force wins this week @New Mexico) atop the standings going into the final week.

Remaining Undefeated Teams: ACC: 1, Big 12: 0, Big Ten: 1, SEC: 1, total: 3
Clemson
Ohio State
Louisiana State

1-loss Teams: ACC: 0, American: 3, Big 12: 2, Big Ten: 2, Conference USA: 0, Mountain West: 1, PAC-12: 2, SEC: 2, Sun Belt: 1, total: 13
Cincinnati
Oregon
Utah
Georgia
Memphis
Boise State
Oklahoma
Appalachian State
Southern Methodist
Alabama
Penn State
Minnesota
Baylor

Remaining Winless Teams: Conference USA: 0, MAC: 1, independents: 0, total: 1
Akron
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019 07:46 PM by ohio1317.)
11-18-2019 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Remaining Undefeated, 1-Loss, and Winless Teams after Week 12
Another strong effort from Ohio1317. Reading this each MonAM before I head to the salt pit puts me in a more positive frame of mind than would otherwise be the case.

I always enjoy.
11-18-2019 09:22 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Miami has clinched the MAC East. They are at 5-1 with 3 teams with 3 losses. They have beaten each of those 3 teams. So at worst they win the east by tiebreaker.
11-18-2019 10:28 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Ohio Stadium to simultaneously host Gameday and BIG NOON Saturday. This is the turning point where BIG NOON Saturday overtakes Gameday.
https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/11/es...state.html
11-18-2019 10:31 AM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Didn't look close enough Miami's wins apparently. Noted although takes a bit from game (no clinching celebration). Thank you.

First time Big Noon and Gameday same place I think (although couldn't swear to it)
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019 07:47 PM by ohio1317.)
11-18-2019 07:44 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-18-2019 10:31 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Ohio Stadium to simultaneously host Gameday and BIG NOON Saturday. This is the turning point where BIG NOON Saturday overtakes Gameday.

BIG NOON Saturday is, unfortunately, boring. It's the same as their NFL coverage - five talking heads in suits arrayed around a table with Surface tablets in front of them, and because each guy is getting paid, we have to tediously listen to each give his take on whatever is being talked about.

Gameday is just a lot more fun, there is a lot more going on with it.
11-18-2019 08:51 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(11-18-2019 08:51 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-18-2019 10:31 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Ohio Stadium to simultaneously host Gameday and BIG NOON Saturday. This is the turning point where BIG NOON Saturday overtakes Gameday.

BIG NOON Saturday is, unfortunately, boring. It's the same as their NFL coverage - five talking heads in suits arrayed around a table with Surface tablets in front of them, and because each guy is getting paid, we have to tediously listen to each give his take on whatever is being talked about.

IWokeUpLikeThis, started a whole thread about "Big Noon Kickoff" a few months ago. Why don't you both take your crap about it over to that thread?

This is probably the best thread that is posted weekly on here during football season. Plus, I'm sure the time it takes to accumulate and present this data for our enjoyment is quite tiresome. Show the OP a little respect!
11-18-2019 09:18 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St

Careful mentioning Big Noon Saturday. Last time, the mini-moderator lashed out calling everyone “fools” and “clowns”. Big Noon Saturday is a touchy subject.

But I agree, Gameday is a rite of passage and an incredible event. It’s fun. Perfect for us clowns.
11-18-2019 10:06 PM
SactoHornetAlum Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Sac State
Silly me I thought this thread would also include FCS, D-2 and D-3. Sadly I was mistaken because it’s only FBS that matters 05-nono
11-18-2019 10:11 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

(11-18-2019 10:06 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

Careful mentioning Big Noon Saturday. Last time, the mini-moderator lashed out calling everyone “fools” and “clowns”. Big Noon Saturday is a touchy subject.

But I agree, Gameday is a rite of passage and an incredible event. It’s fun. Perfect for us clowns.
You're right, I overstepped and I apologize.
11-19-2019 01:30 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(11-18-2019 09:18 PM)cubucks Wrote:  

IWokeUpLikeThis, started a whole thread about "Big Noon Kickoff" a few months ago. Why don't you both take your crap about it over to that thread?

This is probably the best thread that is posted weekly on here during football season. Plus, I'm sure the time it takes to accumulate and present this data for our enjoyment is quite tiresome. Show the OP a little respect!

You were the poster who brought Fox's minor league show up in the topic to begin with, so where do you get off trying to tell someone else to "take your crap over to that thread"?
11-19-2019 03:09 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

(11-19-2019 03:09 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

You were the poster who brought Fox's minor league show up in the topic to begin with, so where do you get off trying to tell someone else to "take your crap over to that thread"?
Where did I bring it up?
11-19-2019 03:32 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(11-19-2019 03:32 PM)cubucks Wrote:  

Where did I bring it up?

Sorry, I read the quote lines in quo's post wrong. It's easy to get all you Rust Belt posters confused.
11-19-2019 03:38 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

(11-19-2019 03:38 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(11-19-2019 03:32 PM)cubucks Wrote:  
(11-18-2019 08:51 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  BIG NOON Saturday is, unfortunately, boring. It's the same as their NFL coverage - five talking heads in suits arrayed around a table with Surface tablets in front of them, and because each guy is getting paid, we have to tediously listen to each give his take on whatever is being talked about.

Where did I bring it up?

Sorry, I read the quote lines in quo's post wrong. It's easy to get all you Rust Belt posters confused.
Great to see you still got your jab in there, though.

Rust belt and proud!
11-19-2019 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.