LSU over Ole Miss
A&M over usc
11-14-2019 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Week 12 SEC Games
As a long-time Vandy fan ... I've never wanted a season to end after nine games more so than I want to see this fiasco of a campaign put to bed.
11-14-2019 10:09 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(11-14-2019 10:09 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  As a long-time Vandy fan ... I've never wanted a season to end after nine games more so than I want to see this fiasco of a campaign put to bed.

Does Derek Mason survive?
11-14-2019 10:12 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(11-14-2019 10:12 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(11-14-2019 10:09 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  As a long-time Vandy fan ... I've never wanted a season to end after nine games more so than I want to see this fiasco of a campaign put to bed.

Not a Vandy fan but it seems like the options this year for replacements are fewer than previous years, which may mean another year.
11-16-2019 04:24 PM
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
Congratulations, Georgia, winning the east.

Are there any Georgia fans around? I can't remember seeing any here?
11-16-2019 08:06 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(11-16-2019 08:06 PM)cubucks Wrote:  Congratulations, Georgia, winning the east.

My wife is. Let my tell you, Dawg Nation is the most morose fan base you have ever encountered. They are depressing in victory. Despite a great win on the Plains against a top defense that held LSU to 23 points yet they are complaining that the defense didn’t play a complete game, the offense is too conservative and the coaching staff sucks.
11-16-2019 10:00 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(11-16-2019 10:00 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(11-16-2019 08:06 PM)cubucks Wrote:  Congratulations, Georgia, winning the east.

My wife is. Let my tell you, Dawg Nation is the most morose fan base you have ever encountered. They are depressing in victory. Despite a great win on the Plains against a top defense that held LSU to 23 points yet they are complaining that the defense didn’t play a complete game, the offense is too conservative and the coaching staff sucks.
Lol, didn't realize their fans had such a hard time enjoying victories.

I actually just remembered DawgNBama, he slipped my mind. He is usually a pretty good poster on the boards here from what I remember.

So winning the East 3 years in a row and they still find things to be miserable about. I've seen a few from other teams that match this description.
11-16-2019 10:29 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-16-2019 10:29 PM)cubucks Wrote:  
(11-16-2019 10:00 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

Lol, didn't realize their fans had such a hard time enjoying victories.

I actually just remembered DawgNBama, he slipped my mind. He is usually a pretty good poster on the boards here from what I remember.

So winning the East 3 years in a row and they still find things to be miserable about. I've seen a few from other teams that match this description.

Well, most of them are from Atlanta and that explains a lot. Folks from Atlanta get up griping, gripe more going to work, gripe about work, gripe about lunch, gripe going home, and then slap the spouse and kick the dog, so...……..
11-16-2019 11:20 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

One thing you can count on when it comes to Georgia fans...

They don't miss tee time.
11-17-2019 01:18 AM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline

Good question. I was talking to some college sports fans (including a Vandy man) this morning over coffee regarding Derek Mason's future. I think Derek and Malcolm Turner (the VU AD) will respectfully reach an agreement to allow a friendly parting of the ways.

Derek has done a very good job in some respects (in many respects, actually). He genuinely cares about his players, the university and, broadly, Nashville. I like that he's kind of quirky and into fashion and art. I originally thought when he was hired ... "WTF? This man is not qualified." But I was wrong. He has done a solid job.

Still, I think it's time for a change.

Does anybody know if the next James Franklin might want to join us on the West End?
11-17-2019 10:24 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2019 10:24 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Good question. I was talking to some college sports fans (including a Vandy man) this morning over coffee regarding Derek Mason's future. I think Derek and Malcolm Turner (the VU AD) will respectfully reach an agreement to allow a friendly parting of the ways.

Derek has done a very good job in some respects (in many respects, actually). He genuinely cares about his players, the university and, broadly, Nashville. I like that he's kind of quirky and into fashion and art. I originally thought when he was hired ... "WTF? This man is not qualified." But I was wrong. He has done a solid job.

Does anybody know if the next James Franklin might want to join us on the West End?

Do you trust Turner’s ability to find the next Franklin. Personally I don’t think search firms are qualified for that kind research.
11-17-2019 03:01 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-17-2019 03:01 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(11-17-2019 10:24 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Do you trust Turner’s ability to find the next Franklin. Personally I don’t think search firms are qualified for that kind research.

Personally, I think Derek Mason is fine and that Vanderbilt won't find anyone any better, and certainly won't find anyone as committed to Vanderbilt.

The problem at Vanderbilt is not coaching. The problem at Vanderbilt is commitment to athletics and firing Derek Mason is not going to solve that problem.
11-17-2019 04:37 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2019 04:37 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Personally, I think Derek Mason is fine and that Vanderbilt won't find anyone any better, and certainly won't find anyone as committed to Vanderbilt.

The problem at Vanderbilt is not coaching. The problem at Vanderbilt is commitment to athletics and firing Derek Mason is not going to solve that problem.

agreed.
11-17-2019 06:08 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(11-17-2019 06:08 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(11-17-2019 04:37 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Personally, I think Derek Mason is fine and that Vanderbilt won't find anyone any better, and certainly won't find anyone as committed to Vanderbilt.

agreed.

I would be more specific and say the problem at Vanderbilt is commitment to football specifically.

As to the vandiver49 question: Turner is facing a very difficult challenge with both Mason and football (more broadly). He might have the ability to "find the next James Franklin" but simply fail in the attempt due to circumstances.

I would prefer VU keep Mason due to his loyalty to the program, the university and the city. He genuinely seems to want to be at VU and in Nashville.
11-17-2019 08:32 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-17-2019 08:32 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

agreed.

I would be more specific and say the problem at Vanderbilt is commitment to football specifically.

As to the vandiver49 question: Turner is facing a very difficult challenge with both Mason and football (more broadly). He might have the ability to "find the next James Franklin" but simply fail in the attempt due to circumstances.

I would prefer VU keep Mason due to his loyalty to the program, the university and the city. He genuinely seems to want to be at VU and in Nashville.
Does VU play basketball competitively? How's that softball team doing? In fact outside of baseball what does Vandy commit too other than Women's bowling?

In other words Bill I think questioning their commitment to athletics in general is a very fair question!
11-17-2019 09:06 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(11-17-2019 09:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

agreed.

Does VU play basketball competitively? How's that softball team doing? In fact outside of baseball what does Vandy commit too other than Women's bowling?

In other words Bill I think questioning their commitment to athletics in general is a very fair question!

I think Stackhouse is going to be a good hire with time. He was considered a rising star in the pro ranks.
11-18-2019 11:01 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I would agree that firing Mason right now is a bad move. I don't see anyone better taking the job. He's done a pretty good job overall although obviously they're pretty bad this year.

The question is a matter of infrastructure and commitment. Vanderbilt needs to sort all that out and make sure they have a foundation. If they don't have that in place then it doesn't much matter who the coach is. At best, you'll grab a guy like Franklin and he's gone as soon as a better opportunity comes along.

I think back to the days of Bobby Johnson. I always thought he was a pretty good coach and he had a good track record at Furman. Nonetheless, there wasn't much he could do with Vanderbilt because his ceiling was artificially limited.

Currently, sustained success at Vanderbilt is not possible.
11-18-2019 01:48 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(11-17-2019 09:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

agreed.

Admittedly, I'm a homer BUT I think the hiring of Malcolm Turner shows a commitment to athletics. The commitment to women's tennis has been very strong. Though the hirings of Bryce Drew and, potentially, Stephanie White might show lack of commitment, VU has typically had very sold women's and men's hoop coaches.

We also built a very large and nice recreation and wellness center that the VU athletes use.

So though the questioning of commitment to athletics might be a fair question, JRsec, I feel the answer that there is some commitment is legit. Now, and let's be blunt, VU is never going to commit to athletics like the other SEC schools. But we are a different animal. Small, private, and lots of students of color and international students (about 40 percent), some of whom simply don't have the fan passion (due to cultural dynamics) found at the other SEC schools.

We're doing well in baseball, women's tennis (men's is solid), women's bowling and, we hope again, men's and women's hoops. There is reason to be cautiously hopeful.
11-18-2019 10:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.