Bookmark and Share
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
MBB Game 3 - - @ Wofford
11/12/19
7pm tip
ESPN + broadcast

Wofford (1-0) coming off a 23 point win vs Erskine. Faces High Point (0-1) on 11/9. A dance team last year, admittedly that has lost a lot, should be a good test and toughness builder for the approaching P5 gauntlet.

Let's go 3-0!
#roadwarriors
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2019 08:10 AM by mrjoolius.)
11-09-2019 08:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

MBB Game 3 - - @ Wofford
For those interested in scouting this matchup, Wofford plays High Point tonight @7 on ESPN3. Nice to see them play a common opponent.
11-09-2019 08:05 AM
TribeFan1983 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wm & Mary
RE: MBB Game 3 - - @ Wofford
Looking at their game #1 stats, Wofford goes with a small, 4-guard lineup. Besides a 6'9" 225 lb. forward, they have very little size. They are really gonna struggle containing Nate and VV inside.
11-09-2019 08:59 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

MBB Game 3 - - @ Wofford
Funny looking at the ESPN matchup predictor-- 0-1 High Point is at 11.6% to win at Wofford and 2-0 W&M (with a win vs HP) is at 8.5% to win at Wofford. Not sure which metrics they use, but it seems to fly in the face of reasoning.
11-09-2019 09:18 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-09-2019 08:59 AM)TribeFan1983 Wrote:  Looking at their game #1 stats, Wofford goes with a small, 4-guard lineup. Besides a 6'9" 225 lb. forward, they have very little size. They are really gonna struggle containing Nate and VV inside.

Goodwin, their big, had 14pts/5 boards vs Erskine. He averaged 4.5 pts last season. They are powered by Nathan Hoover, a 6'4 do everything type of guard.

IMO, we are a huge matchup problem for them. They don't have the bodies to counter our bigs, and their top guards aren't the quick shifty guards that give our big guards issues. Can't give them open looks, but I'm not as concerned with them blowing past our guards to the hoop.

Game plan should be very similar to American. Make life tough for Hoover and feed the 2 headed monster.
11-09-2019 09:30 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(11-09-2019 08:05 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  For those interested in scouting this matchup, Wofford plays High Point tonight @7 on ESPN3. Nice to see them play a common opponent.

Looking at game tapes, Wofford really got a nice 2-for-1 deal by having a game tape featuring both W&M and High Point.
11-09-2019 09:37 AM
Advertisement

Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Nate and Chevez Goodwin in their head to head match ups freshman year:
@ Charleston
Nate - 18 mins, 8 pts, 3 rebs
Goodwin - 7 mins, 0 pts, 1 reb
@ W&M
Nate - 19 mins, 15 pts, 6 rebs
Goodwin - 1 min, 0 pts, 0 rebs

With Wofford's 7 footer out with an injury, this should be another case of just needing to stick to our gameplan. Andy should have career highs, and Bryce is an ideal size and quickness matchup to disrupt their PG. Our depth/rotation will be a factor again with opponent fatigue down the stretch. They have NO depth.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2019 10:09 AM by Tribeheart.)
11-09-2019 10:01 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

MBB Game 3 - - @ Wofford
I really really like this game for us. Another great opportunity to refine our game plan by playing through the post. We'll also have to play disciplined, lock down defense. I look forward to it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
11-09-2019 10:58 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Wofford had 19 assists and only 4 turnovers against High Point. Recipe for winning basketball. We'll need to be much more disruptive than that on Tuesday night.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2019 10:40 AM by Tribeheart.)
11-10-2019 10:40 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
Normally, I would make the drive to Spartenburg for this one, but UNCC hosst Davidson at the same time and that is part of my Niner season ticket package. Hard to pass up a game that I already paid for and a 20 mile round trip versus a 200 mile roundtrip on a work day.

I hope the Tribe can win one without me.

Go Tribe!
11-11-2019 09:13 AM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(11-11-2019 09:13 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  Normally, I would make the drive to Spartenburg for this one, but UNCC hosst Davidson at the same time and that is part of my Niner season ticket package. Hard to pass up a game that I already paid for and a 20 mile round trip versus a 200 mile roundtrip on a work day.

I hope the Tribe can win one without me.

Go Tribe!

Unless Charlotte can tighten up the D, I don’t imagine our young team will give the Wildcats much of a game. They’re continually chipping away at the all-time series lead Charlotte built back when we were good every year. Hopefully you can bring the Niners some luck.

I think Wofford is going to be a great test for us. Obviously with such a stellar season last year, they aren’t going to sneak up on anyone. I’ll be interested to see how our use of Knight and Double-V continues to evolve.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 09:58 AM by TribeNiner.)
11-11-2019 09:54 AM
Advertisement

TribeFan1983 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wm & Mary
Vegas has the Tribe an 11-point underdog vs. Wofford. I don't see that at all. With its 4-guard lineup, Wofford has only one big to match up with the Twin Towers. If we pound the ball inside, we'll wear them down by mid-2nd half, just like at AU. We can win this one.
11-12-2019 06:08 AM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
MBB Game 3 - - @ Wofford
This should be a good game. Their guards will probably play aggressive on-ball defense to make it hard for us to feed our big guys, but if we can pound it in there, I expect an American-like showing from Nate and AVV. Need continued growth from our perimeter guys. If we get 2 of our guards in double figures, and we have <12 turnovers, I think we win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-12-2019 08:52 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

We've got to guard the 3 point arc for 40 minutes, and Barnes needs to have a defensive impact on Murphy. Murphy had zero turnovers in 26 minutes against High Point. Let's break their 17 game home win streak. Go Tribe!
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 09:21 AM by Tribeheart.)
11-12-2019 09:16 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(11-12-2019 06:08 AM)TribeFan1983 Wrote:  Vegas has the Tribe an 11-point underdog vs. Wofford. I don't see that at all. With its 4-guard lineup, Wofford has only one big to match up with the Twin Towers. If we pound the ball inside, we'll wear them down by mid-2nd half, just like at AU. We can win this one.

You weren't kidding. Through two games (only one D1) only one true big man has seen the floor. And it's Chevez Goodwin, a name we all may remember as he was Jarrell Brantley's back-up for a year at CoC. The back up big is 6'6". No one else has played a minute. Unless they change their play style or we get into foul trouble, Nate and AVV should have a field day.

On the other hand they have a bunch of guards who can seemingly score at will. I wonder if Luke knows their leading scorer (Storm Murphy) as they are both Juniors from Wisconsin. Familiarity with his game could certainly help us defensively.
11-12-2019 09:26 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Slow the game down, pound it inside, and shoot 30 free throws. I don't think the line is indicative of reality. At least I hope I'm correct.
11-12-2019 10:41 AM
Advertisement

WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(11-12-2019 10:41 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Slow the game down, pound it inside, and shoot 30 free throws. I don't think the line is indicative of reality. At least I hope I'm correct.

My gut tells me that this one game will do more to point out what we have to be really good at to be competitive in the CAA than any other non conference game that we will play this season. I have no doubt that even with a new coach and a bit of a changed roster from their Big Dance team, Wofford will come out playing like a team that will look at the Tribe as a team that it ought to beat. I can only imagine what playing solid on national TV during the Big Dance does for a team's confidence and swagger.

We will play many CAA teams this year who will be guard oriented and who will want to pick up the pace of the game and try to speed us up, and why not? Who really wants to deal with the Nate/Andy combo in a half court set on either end of the court? Beat the press and score in transition when it is handed to you on a silver platter, but control the tempo and wear the opponent out with our two bigs whenever we can.

I do worry about guarding a perimeter oriented offense of smaller players when Andy has to come out the defend one of these guys, but Dane raved about how he did it in the American game. I worry far moe about our ability to guard the perimeter than I do about our ability to beat a press. Perhaps I am just naïve.
11-12-2019 12:25 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-12-2019 12:25 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  I do worry about guarding a perimeter oriented offense of smaller players when Andy has to come out the defend one of these guys, but Dane raved about how he did it in the American game. I worry far moe about our ability to guard the perimeter than I do about our ability to beat a press. Perhaps I am just naïve.
It's not like Andy isn't accustomed to guarding on the perimeter. For all intents, he was a guard at Wisconsin. He moves his feet well and leaves enough space that his length can cover a lot of ground. It goes both ways too. I'm sure it's no picnic for a 6'7 SF to drive on or shoot over a 7' wingspan.
Our other guards may get beaten with quickness from time to time. That is where the improved team defense can step in and clean up some of the messes.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 12:36 PM by mrjoolius.)
11-12-2019 12:34 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(11-12-2019 12:25 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 10:41 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Slow the game down, pound it inside, and shoot 30 free throws. I don't think the line is indicative of reality. At least I hope I'm correct.

My gut tells me that this one game will do more to point out what we have to be really good at to be competitive in the CAA than any other non conference game that we will play this season. I have no doubt that even with a new coach and a bit of a changed roster from their Big Dance team, Wofford will come out playing like a team that will look at the Tribe as a team that it ought to beat. I can only imagine what playing solid on national TV during the Big Dance does for a team's confidence and swagger.

We will play many CAA teams this year who will be guard oriented and who will want to pick up the pace of the game and try to speed us up, and why not? Who really wants to deal with the Nate/Andy combo in a half court set on either end of the court? Beat the press and score in transition when it is handed to you on a silver platter, but control the tempo and wear the opponent out with our two bigs whenever we can.

I do worry about guarding a perimeter oriented offense of smaller players when Andy has to come out the defend one of these guys, but Dane raved about how he did it in the American game. I worry far moe about our ability to guard the perimeter than I do about our ability to beat a press. Perhaps I am just naïve.

Wofford didn't play at a fast pace with Mike young as coach and doubt they will with a former assistant at the helm. Look for real solid D, good passing and ball movement and them finding the open man. I always thought Wofford was the second best coached team in the SoCon behind Davidson.
11-12-2019 12:36 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(11-12-2019 12:25 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  

Agreed, AV will present a mismatch on offense, but is a potential liability guarding a permitter player on defense. One key of the game will be ensuring that we get the better of this mismatch by pounding the ball inside and snagging offensive rebounds like we did against AU. Contrasts in personnel and styles like this is why I love the college game so much more than the NBA.
11-12-2019 12:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.