Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis's #1 Hoops Recruit ruled Ineligible
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Memphis's #1 Hoops Recruit ruled Ineligible
James Wiseman was ruled ineligible today by the NCAA. The 5-star center was the top recruit last year.

Penny Hardaway helped him move to Memphis, violating NCAA rules.

Memphis has a long history of this. Any time Memphis get 5-star guys you have to be suspicious.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 06:16 PM by quo vadis.)
11-08-2019 06:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Memphis's #1 Hoops Recruit ruled Ineligible
IE Memphis gets scrutiny other programs don't *cough North Carolina/Duke/Kansas*
11-08-2019 06:20 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(11-08-2019 06:14 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  James Wiseman was ruled ineligible today by the NCAA. The 5-star center was the top recruit last year.

Memphis has a long history of this. Any time Memphis get 5-star guys you have to be suspicious.

That would seem to be "Recruiting 101 for basketball coaches." Hardaway should have been getting advice from the AD at Memphis that this was not going to fly with the NCAA, if it turns out to be true.
11-08-2019 06:22 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

Eligible to play, thanks to court order
11-08-2019 06:23 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-08-2019 06:22 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(11-08-2019 06:14 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  James Wiseman was ruled ineligible today by the NCAA. The 5-star center was the top recruit last year.

That would seem to be "Recruiting 101 for basketball coaches." Hardaway should have been getting advice from the AD at Memphis that this was not going to fly with the NCAA, if it turns out to be true.

Penny wasn't coach then.
11-08-2019 06:24 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
Penny Hardaway = Memphis booster. He wouldn't be eligible at Memphis even if Penny wasn't the coach, technically speaking.
He would be eligible elsewhere.

Now, that doesn't mean the NCAA won't come to an arrangement allowing him to play. Selective enforcement is their specialty.
11-08-2019 07:04 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(11-08-2019 07:04 PM)BatonRougeEscapee Wrote:  Penny Hardaway = Memphis booster. He wouldn't be eligible at Memphis even if Penny wasn't the coach, technically speaking.

Now, that doesn't mean the NCAA won't come to an arrangement allowing him to play. Selective enforcement is their specialty.

Which is why going to court over NCAA punishments will be standard procedure from now on. Their habitual selective enforcement is slowly undermining any real ability to enforce the rules. There is literally a ton of evidence indicating that schools did far more than help people move (the latest basketball shoe pay for play scandal is well known) and the NCAA hasnt lifted a finger to penalize hardly any of those programs. If the NCAA is going to make a regular practice of blatantly and knowingly picking and choosing schools they will and wont enforce penalties against---good luck defending that practice in court when a penalty is challenged.

I dont claim to know the details on this Memphis thing---but helping a kid move seems pretty small time vs paying kids $100K to play at a particular school.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 07:43 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-08-2019 07:38 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(11-08-2019 07:04 PM)BatonRougeEscapee Wrote:  Penny Hardaway = Memphis booster. He wouldn't be eligible at Memphis even if Penny wasn't the coach, technically speaking.

He was cleared as eligible to play by the NCAA in May.
11-08-2019 08:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

It may not be the only big news of the night on that front. Ohio State has a starter out for football this week because of impermissible benefits he received last Summer.
11-08-2019 09:00 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
[Image: blue-chips-basketball-movie-lead.jpg]

"Boys, the rules don't make much sense. But I believe in the rules. Some of us broke them. I broke them. I can't do this. I can't win like this."

Sounds like Butch McRae didn't follow the wisdom of Pete Bell, eh?
11-08-2019 10:13 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-08-2019 06:23 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Eligible to play, thanks to court order

Looks like this is a ruling by a pro-Memphis county judge, lol. So it will not have any force for road games.
11-08-2019 10:26 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
11-08-2019 10:36 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
Penny was a High School coach and gave 10k to Wiseman's mother (after his sophmore year) to move him from Nashville to Memphis to play HS ball for him at East High in Memphis. He has known Wiseman's family for many years.

Penny also donated 1 million to Memphis way back in 2008, Before he was even a JR high or AAU coach. The NCAA knew all of this over the summer before Wiseman committed to Memphis and cleared him to play for Penny and Memphis knowing all of this.

Now out of nowhere the NCAA calls his eligibility into question.

This does not seem right by the NCAA. They are totally screwing this kid over and punish Penny for things he did before he was ever a HS coach or a coach at Memphis.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2019 03:17 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
11-09-2019 02:46 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(11-08-2019 10:36 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Good for Penny. I'd rather see a coach keep his commitment to his players and say **** you to the NCAA.
11-09-2019 03:45 AM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(11-09-2019 03:45 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(11-08-2019 10:36 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Good for Penny. I'd rather see a coach keep his commitment to his players and say **** you to the NCAA.

Bold move. Hope they don’t get banned from the Tournament.
11-09-2019 05:09 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-09-2019 02:46 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Penny was a High School coach and gave 10k to Wiseman's mother (after his sophmore year) to move him from Nashville to Memphis to play HS ball for him at East High in Memphis. He has known Wiseman's family for many years.

Penny also donated 1 million to Memphis way back in 2008, Before he was even a JR high or AAU coach. The NCAA knew all of this over the summer before Wiseman committed to Memphis and cleared him to play for Penny and Memphis knowing all of this.

This does not seem right by the NCAA. They are totally screwing this kid over and punish Penny for things he did before he was ever a HS coach or a coach at Memphis.

Penny was obviously a Memphis booster.

The NCAA says that when they cleared Wiseman to play in May there was no evidence that Penny had paid moving expenses for him, that evidence emerged recently and prompted the decision.
11-09-2019 05:25 AM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

The NCAA better tread lightly here. Elite prospects are already staring to skip college all together. Now they want to rule the #1 overall recruit and projected #1 draft pick ineligible over some small time BS like this that went down when Penny was not even a college coach?

Not a very smart move. All they are going to do is push the top HS players away from the NCAA tourney.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2019 05:34 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
11-09-2019 05:27 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(11-09-2019 05:25 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-09-2019 02:46 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Penny was a High School coach and gave 10k to Wiseman's mother (after his sophmore year) to move him from Nashville to Memphis to play HS ball for him at East High in Memphis. He has known Wiseman's family for many years.

Penny was obviously a Memphis booster.

The NCAA says that when they cleared Wiseman to play in May there was no evidence that Penny had paid moving expenses for him, that evidence emerged recently and prompted the decision.

That excuse doesn't pass the smell text because Penny did not give aid to funnel him to the U of M, he was moving him to play HS ball for him at East High. Penny had no idea at the time he would end up being the coach at Memphis. Nor did he have any idea when he donated to the university 11 years ago.

So no, this is NOT a "garden variety" booster thing. Its a totally unique situation and a technicality that hurts no one but the player and the NCAA.

Furthermore its well documented that the NCAA DID know about the aid to move the Wisemans when Penny was at East high. Its been confirmed by multiple sources now.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2019 05:40 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
11-09-2019 05:29 AM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF

Serious? Like all of CBB is not involved one way or another with this AAU Nike scandal. Lets bring on the H**kers.
11-09-2019 06:20 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-09-2019 06:20 AM)sierrajip Wrote:  

Serious? Like all of CBB is not involved one way or another with this AAU Nike scandal. Lets bring on the H**kers.

Yes, we know many teams are involved, but Memphis legacy of violations go back decades. In fact, just about any time Memphis puts together a great team, you can set your watch by the violations being uncovered sooner or later.
11-09-2019 07:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.