Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Predict EMU MBB MAC Final Standings (March 2020)
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
MyBB Predict EMU MBB MAC Final Standings (March 2020)
I'll pick EMU to finish 4th in the West. Most are picking us 6th.

Toure might have a big season.
Morgan might play Bond's role.
Montero might be our shooter.
Binelli might be our stretch 4.
Not sure about PG and if he will be a pass first PG.

Should be interesting to see what effect the new international distance on the trey makes. But again, both teams will be playing on the same court.

The key to the season, offensively, is whether or not, the forwards, and guards, can keep the other team from sagging on Toure.

Last year's team underachieved. There were vibs about attitudes, selfish play, etc. This team will be different. I guess 'scrappy' is the word which comes to mind. Will probably over-achieve.

Your pick:
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 07:14 AM by emu steve.)
11-08-2019 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Predict EMU MBB MAC Final Standings (March 2020)
(11-08-2019 07:05 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I'll pick EMU to finish 4th in the West. Most are picking us 6th.

Toure might have a big season.
Morgan might play Bond's role.
Montero might be our shooter.
Binelli might be our stretch 4.
Not sure about PG and if he will be a pass first PG.

Should be interesting to see what effect the new international distance on the trey makes. But again, both teams will be playing on the same court.

The key to the season, offensively, is whether or not, the forwards, and guards, can keep the other team from sagging on Toure.

Last year's team underachieved. There were vibs about attitudes, selfish play, etc. This team will be different. I guess 'scrappy' is the word which comes to mind. Will probably over-achieve.

Your pick:
Too many "mights" in there.
11-08-2019 07:55 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I think they’ll take that 6th place prediction to heart, and surprise some people. Nothing great, but nothing awful either, especially in a wide open MAC. I do think Murphy’s streak of hosting a tournament game will end, though.
11-08-2019 08:56 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Okay, guys, if I had to set probs I would pick:

1st: 5%
2nd: 10%
3rd: 15%
4th: 20%
5th: 25%
6th: 25%

Roughly 30% chance we finish in the top 3, but 70% in the bottom 3. I would consider a top 3 finish a good season. Finishing 4th 'pretty much as I would expect.' Fifth or sixth, disappointing.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 09:06 AM by emu steve.)
11-08-2019 09:05 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-08-2019 08:56 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  I think they’ll take that 6th place prediction to heart, and surprise some people. Nothing great, but nothing awful either, especially in a wide open MAC. I do think Murphy’s streak of hosting a tournament game will end, though.

Remember the answer to my question for many will be IDK, I Don't Know.

The Nationals were 19 - 31 at one point and won the World Series.

We had the most talent last season and played very badly some times and exited the tourney early.

Vegas made it to the Stanley Cup finals as an expansion team.

Sports, any sport, can be crazy. I'm pumped for this season because IDK how good we'll be... As others suggested, less talent, more effort, better attitude, etc.
11-08-2019 09:35 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Predict EMU MBB MAC Final Standings (March 2020)
I want to see how they play under Murphy before making any predictions.
11-08-2019 09:49 AM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Agree with Sam that Murphy's ability to secure talent can not be underestimated; however, it's his Xs and Os and inability to motivate that I feel have prevented EMU from reaching his goal on being a top MAC program. It's been said by other posters that Murphy system overachieves with minimal talent and underachieves with superior talent.

My prediction is to finish 0.500 in the MAC + / - 1 game. It's too bad that he's squandered so much talent. Typically the MAC champion has the best center as a piece of the team. Toure is the best center in the MAC but will be underutilized.

Go Eagles - I'll be excited about EMU basketball when the next coach comes into town.
11-08-2019 11:52 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-08-2019 11:52 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Agree with Sam that Murphy's ability to secure talent can not be underestimated; however, it's his Xs and Os and inability to motivate that I feel have prevented EMU from reaching his goal on being a top MAC program. It's been said by other posters that Murphy system overachieves with minimal talent and underachieves with superior talent.

My prediction is to finish 0.500 in the MAC + / - 1 game. It's too bad that he's squandered so much talent. Typically the MAC champion has the best center as a piece of the team. Toure is the best center in the MAC but will be underutilized.

Go Eagles - I'll be excited about EMU basketball when the next coach comes into town.

"Go Eagles - I'll be excited about EMU basketball when the next coach comes into town."

You may have a 'long' wait...

Don't buy a half gallon of ice cream, put it in the freezer and say, "I'll eat it and some cake when Murphy is gone..."
11-08-2019 11:56 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2019 11:52 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Agree with Sam that Murphy's ability to secure talent can not be underestimated; however, it's his Xs and Os and inability to motivate that I feel have prevented EMU from reaching his goal on being a top MAC program. It's been said by other posters that Murphy system overachieves with minimal talent and underachieves with superior talent.

Did you watch the game? A big focus of our offense was getting Toure (and King) the ball. If Boubacar stays healthy, and out of foul trouble, he should have a huge year. We finally have guards who play with their heads up and try to create for others.

Not saying we will be good...there’s still a long way to go before determining that. But this is a different team than we are used to, and I think we have the ability to surprise some people.
11-08-2019 12:02 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2019 12:02 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Did you watch the game? A big focus of our offense was getting Toure (and King) the ball. If Boubacar stays healthy, and out of foul trouble, he should have a huge year. We finally have guards who play with their heads up and try to create for others.

Not saying we will be good...there’s still a long way to go before determining that. But this is a different team than we are used to, and I think we have the ability to surprise some people.

Sam,

I didn't get a chance to see the game but enjoyed everyone's comments. I am encouraged that you saw improvement in returning players and that some incoming players have potential. Hopefully this team is interesting to watch at the end of the MAC season.

Go Eagles!
11-08-2019 12:17 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Don't know where to put this comment, but got to be happy with the schedule:

Jamaica, Irvine (CA - in beautiful Orange County), E. Lansing, Las Vegas, etc.

P.S. to Coach Murphy - take the team to Laguna Beach, a short drive. Get them a volley ball and let them play a game of 'shirts and skins.'

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/irvine...her/337095
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 12:25 PM by emu steve.)
11-08-2019 12:19 PM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2019 12:17 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(11-08-2019 12:02 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Sam,

I didn't get a chance to see the game but enjoyed everyone's comments. I am encouraged that you saw improvement in returning players and that some incoming players have potential. Hopefully this team is interesting to watch at the end of the MAC season.

Go Eagles!

I got ya. And I agree...we’ve all been encouraged with the team’s OOC performance, only to be let down in MAC play. I’m cautiously optimistic, and look forward to seeing how we do against D1 competition.
11-08-2019 12:22 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
I've to give credit to Murphy and his staff, I realize its only one game against A DII school, but Murphy can find talent...…..James from Long Beach, Ca is a great example, multiple junior colleges all across the country literally from New Jersey to Arizona to Florida, etc......It appears he has brought in real D1 talent across the whole team, not just a few players! Ty Groce is the leader of this team, and for once it appears a TEAM!!!!!! Lets see how the season goes moving forward against equal competition! Jerry Weaver, were you at the game? Your insight is fantastic, so is Eagle Sams! Everyone does a good job though!
11-08-2019 01:04 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Guys Sienna Hts. would have trouble beating Lincoln High. Our 7 foot center has his way around the basket against non-scholarship athletes that max out at 6'8" unless he needlessly shuffles his feet? Let me put on my shocked face! We learned very little from today's game, the competition was just too weak.

The bad:
We allowed a lot of clean open looks beyond the three point line as we have in the past.

We also accorded Sienna a bunch of offensive rebounds, another trait of past Murphy teams.

Additionally I saw no evidence of any motion or coherent strategy in our half court offense, another movie that we have all seen before.

The good: Murphy recruited some guys who appear to be athletes, foot speed and hops included.

It looks like we have some 3 point shooters.

We pressed 3/4 court, ideal for a team with no stars who can rotate bodies in and out and wear out the opponent.

GASP! We actually experimented with a different defense late in the first half. That defense was primitive and has not been played at EMU in years, it is called "man to man". We now have a 3/4 press, our regular 2-3 zone and this man to man thing. It might actually allow us to make some half time adjustments instead of being rolled like we were last year in the second twenty minutes.

Steiner made some comments on air today about the egos from last year (JT4, Minnie, Jackson) making the season difficult which brought back memories from Murphy disparagingly commenting on the 2016-17 Lee, Mangum, Toney, Thompson, Bond team. Murph seems to be better when he has less talent.

To summarize, Toure is not even close to Toledo's Knapke, if the offensive approach is to alley oop passes to him, we are doomed. As much as hate to say it, Keno at Central has a far better talent portfolio as well. I'm hoping that Rob does better with less as usual but I think this team maxes out at .500 plain and simple.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 08:49 PM by Jerry Weaver.)
11-08-2019 08:47 PM
mpleafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU, U of M
As far as around the MAC, Buffalo just lost by 5 at Home to Dartmouth who was tied for last in the Ivy PreSeason poll
11-08-2019 08:59 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
Jerry, I agree with a lot of what you said, but when is the last time we had 8 to 10 guys who can play, and understand their roles! We actually passed the ball for once, instead of Jackson shooting constantly of his back foot.......this team doesn't have egos it appears either. My biggest concern is how we rebound, and give up too many three point shots! Only time will tell......
11-08-2019 09:37 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
My concern is with the teams health with Gibson out and Binelli sp
Wonder who Peterson and Gibbs and the Canadian big guy didnt play along with Parris?
That alot of guys sitting in a blow out
11-09-2019 01:29 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-08-2019 08:47 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Guys Sienna Hts. would have trouble beating Lincoln High. Our 7 foot center has his way around the basket against non-scholarship athletes that max out at 6'8" unless he needlessly shuffles his feet? Let me put on my shocked face! We learned very little from today's game, the competition was just too weak.

The bad:
We allowed a lot of clean open looks beyond the three point line as we have in the past.

We also accorded Sienna a bunch of offensive rebounds, another trait of past Murphy teams.

Additionally I saw no evidence of any motion or coherent strategy in our half court offense, another movie that we have all seen before.

The good: Murphy recruited some guys who appear to be athletes, foot speed and hops included.

It looks like we have some 3 point shooters.

We pressed 3/4 court, ideal for a team with no stars who can rotate bodies in and out and wear out the opponent.

GASP! We actually experimented with a different defense late in the first half. That defense was primitive and has not been played at EMU in years, it is called "man to man". We now have a 3/4 press, our regular 2-3 zone and this man to man thing. It might actually allow us to make some half time adjustments instead of being rolled like we were last year in the second twenty minutes.

Steiner made some comments on air today about the egos from last year (JT4, Minnie, Jackson) making the season difficult which brought back memories from Murphy disparagingly commenting on the 2016-17 Lee, Mangum, Toney, Thompson, Bond team. Murph seems to be better when he has less talent.

To summarize, Toure is not even close to Toledo's Knapke, if the offensive approach is to alley oop passes to him, we are doomed. As much as hate to say it, Keno at Central has a far better talent portfolio as well. I'm hoping that Rob does better with less as usual but I think this team maxes out at .500 plain and simple.

My comments:

Last year we struggled with Siena Heights (EDIT: Think it was Rochester, led by 3 at the half to start the season) so misfiring teams can look bad vs. bad teams. We didn't misfire yesterday.

Yes, Murphy will change up his defenses to keep the opponent off stride. This is what folks have been clamoring for.

I was surprised the teams didn't have trouble with the international length three point line.

Don't like pointing fingers but wasn't JT4 sat by Murphy for 'conduct...'? That suggests that the problem was more than one warning or you sit a half... Last year's team struggled from game #1. Team never had it together. Amazing with players coming back for their senior years...
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2019 06:08 AM by emu steve.)
11-09-2019 06:01 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-08-2019 01:04 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  I've to give credit to Murphy and his staff, I realize its only one game against A DII school, but Murphy can find talent...…..James from Long Beach, Ca is a great example, multiple junior colleges all across the country literally from New Jersey to Arizona to Florida, etc......It appears he has brought in real D1 talent across the whole team, not just a few players! Ty Groce is the leader of this team, and for once it appears a TEAM!!!!!! Lets see how the season goes moving forward against equal competition! Jerry Weaver, were you at the game? Your insight is fantastic, so is Eagle Sams! Everyone does a good job though!

And a point we have not stressed, only ONE true freshman. Three frosh came from prep schools.

So we have a transfer, JUCOs, prep players, etc. with a lot of experience, just not at EMU.
11-09-2019 07:38 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

We didn’t exactly handle Siena Heights, either. Gave up 72 points, and only led by 15 at halftime (won by 18). Shot horrendously from 3, and the free throw line.

We aren’t as big, physically imposing, or athletic as we were last year. We also don’t have a defensive equalizer like Tim Bond or Elijah Minnie (I’m hoping Groce can still develop into that). But just from this first impression, we appear to be deeper and better fundamentally. All 4 of the guys that came off the bench in the 1st half looked like they could easily start. You could argue that the Chris’s were better than our starting guards. We haven’t had quality depth like that in a while.

Let’s hope they keep it rolling. Siena Heights beat our next opponent, Goshen, so we may see more of the same. But any experience is good experience for a bunch of new teammates at this stage of the year. We’ll learn a lot more in Jamaica.
11-09-2019 07:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.