Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bad news for GCU non profit status
Bookmark and Share
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Bad news for GCU non profit status
Looks like they haven't quite gotten the stench washed off yet....

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019...conversion

Department of Education was one final hurdle and they declared GCU to still be a for profit. No doubt this will drag on for a while.
11-07-2019 05:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Bad news for GCU non profit status
Does GCU have to change their advertising now?

They tout their non-profit status everywhere.
11-07-2019 11:48 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
Supreme Leader Mueller got his hand caught in the cookie jar. They found a little loop hole to be able to call themselves a non profit when in reality they are not. The US Dept of Education caught on and went ahead and corrected it.
11-07-2019 01:15 PM
Country_Wisdom_359 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lopes, Govs, Raiders
They’ll make the necessary correction on paper just like they did based on the initial rejection in 2016. Purdue’s acquisition of Kaplan under the Purdue Global label set the precedent.

I see this as just one more step in the process. It’s going to happen. People love to hate on GCU and the ad hoc for profit status. The fact of the matter is that the school used nearly every bit of the investor funds during the initial offering for infrastructure improvements. These resulted in tangible gains for students through increased programs and academic resources.
11-07-2019 03:41 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GCU
(11-07-2019 03:41 PM)Country_Wisdom_359 Wrote:  They’ll make the necessary correction on paper just like they did based on the initial rejection in 2016. Purdue’s acquisition of Kaplan under the Purdue Global label set the precedent.

I see this as just one more step in the process. It’s going to happen. People love to hate on GCU and the ad hoc for profit status. The fact of the matter is that the school used nearly every bit of the investor funds during the initial offering for infrastructure improvements. These resulted in tangible gains for students through increased programs and academic resources.
Nicely said Wisdom. Time will tell.
11-07-2019 03:52 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I know Supreme Leader Mueller has indoctrinated you guys that what what Purdue did is the same thing as what GCU did and that is so not true. I’m too tired to explain it to you but it’s so not the same thing.
11-07-2019 04:45 PM
Advertisement

gleadley Offline
1st String

(11-07-2019 04:45 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  I know Supreme Leader Mueller has indoctrinated you guys that what what Purdue did is the same thing as what GCU did and that is so not true. I’m too tired to explain it to you but it’s so not the same thing.

Why would anyone looking for an unbiased, fact-based explanation of a complex matter be interested in anything you have to say? The day you demonstrate an interest or the capacity to have a productive, objective conversation about a highly nuanced subject is the same day Coach Majerle contritely admits his failures and shortcomings as a coach without so much as hinting at an individual or collection of players. I'm honestly not holding my breath for either.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019 06:37 PM by gleadley.)
11-07-2019 06:35 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

Looks like you finally get it about Majerle. I’ll let you explain how Purdue University, a long time public institution that has existed as a non profit since 1869 is remotely the same as Grand Canyon University, a for profit, mainly online university that doesn’t even recognize the academic ranking systems every legit university in the United States recognizes. GCU has played a shell game with the rules making sure their corporate members are still lining their pockets and escaping paying taxes they should be paying. Unfortunately for LOPE shareholders US department of Education has caught on. However, I’m not denying that many people with a degree from a for profit or a strictly online university have not gone on to be successful.
11-07-2019 07:12 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

It's says in the article that the for profit arm which is still publicly traded, also run by Mueller, takes 60% of their revenue, and will for 15 years. I was shocked by that amount.

I'm waiting for the late night lawyer ads for a class action suit about those deceived by the non-profit part of their advertising.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019 09:00 PM by Todor.)
11-07-2019 08:57 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(11-07-2019 04:45 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  I know Supreme Leader Mueller has indoctrinated you guys that what what Purdue did is the same thing as what GCU did and that is so not true. I’m too tired to explain it to you but it’s so not the same thing.
If you're too tired to explain it to us indoctrinated imbeciles then why even post? Makes no sense. Unless you have an alternative reason. I wonder what that could be?
11-07-2019 09:20 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(11-07-2019 08:57 PM)Todor Wrote:  It's says in the article that the for profit arm which is still publicly traded, also run by Mueller, takes 60% of their revenue, and will for 15 years. I was shocked by that amount.

I'm waiting for the late night lawyer ads for a class action suit about those deceived by the non-profit part of their advertising.

The simplest explanation of GCU's Nonprofit status: Grand Canyon Educational Service, publicly-traded, runs everything at GCU.
11-08-2019 11:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(11-07-2019 08:57 PM)Todor Wrote:  It's says in the article that the for profit arm which is still publicly traded, also run by Mueller, takes 60% of their revenue, and will for 15 years. I was shocked by that amount.

Let me try and explain this in simple terms:
(1) Your uncle owns a company that is worth about 2 billion dollars.
(2) Your uncle agrees to sell this company to you. However, you cannot pay 2 billion dollars because you are just starting out in business.
(3) Your uncle has great faith in you so he still sells you the company with the agreement that you will pay him back over a 15 year period. Your uncle is also taking a huge risk that you will be successful over those 15 years.
(4) You now own a thriving business with name recognition, multiple multi-million dollar buildings, other assets, and a steady flow of income. Congratulations!
(5) However, you are in debt to your nice uncle for $2 billion dollars. You and your uncle work out a financial plan that gives your uncle 60% of income earned for the first 15 years in order for him to get his money back.
(6) Since you are young and new to the business, your uncle also agrees to take on some of the day to day responsibilities of the company during these 15 years. This service is also factored into the 60%.
Both uncle and nephew live happily ever after. The end.
11-08-2019 12:15 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2019 12:15 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  

Let me try and explain this in simple terms:
(1) Your uncle owns a company that is worth about 2 billion dollars.
(2) Your uncle agrees to sell this company to you. However, you cannot pay 2 billion dollars because you are just starting out in business.
(3) Your uncle has great faith in you so he still sells you the company with the agreement that you will pay him back over a 15 year period. Your uncle is also taking a huge risk that you will be successful over those 15 years.
(4) You now own a thriving business with name recognition, multiple multi-million dollar buildings, other assets, and a steady flow of income. Congratulations!
(5) However, you are in debt to your nice uncle for $2 billion dollars. You and your uncle work out a financial plan that gives your uncle 60% of income earned for the first 15 years in order for him to get his money back.
(6) Since you are young and new to the business, your uncle also agrees to take on some of the day to day responsibilities of the company during these 15 years. This service is also factored into the 60%.
Both uncle and nephew live happily ever after. The end.

Oh, we all got it from the get go... GCU may actually be non profit in 15 years. I take it the potential nonprofit GCU represents the young, new to business child that is such a huge risk. And uncle Guido is the loan shark socking it to you for billions in a scheme to "get his name off the books " while still pulling the strings from behind the scenes. Glad you cleared that up. We all thought as much. Nephew GCU is already 70--how old is this uncle of yours???
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 08:38 PM by Todor.)
11-08-2019 08:36 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

(11-07-2019 11:48 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  Does GCU have to change their advertising now?

They tout their non-profit status everywhere.

GCU has, in fact, dropped the non-profit claim from their current TV advertising, as some were wondering about.
01-25-2020 09:41 AM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

Honestly if it’s a school that helps the conference, and they do, I don’t give a rats ass whether they’re for profit, nonprofit, pro-prophet or Lorena Bobbit.
01-25-2020 02:45 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(01-25-2020 02:45 PM)YesCubanB Wrote:  Honestly if it’s a school that helps the conference, and they do, I don’t give a rats ass whether they’re for profit, nonprofit, pro-prophet or Lorena Bobbit.

I agree. It’s ridiculous that GCU and others, get slammed for being “for profit”, when every other college is technically “for profit” as well. No college is in it to lose money and barely scrape by.
01-25-2020 05:18 PM
Advertisement

dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

Where you’ve been Cuban!!! Missed you. Tons have been written why For Profit education has some serious flaws. That being said, I know many that have degrees from a For Profit University and are very successful in their careers. I bet all the GCU guys that post here are all very successful. No sarcasm at all btw. However, there is a reason for profit schools have a bad stigma.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 02:14 PM by dancingNMSUaggie.)
01-26-2020 02:06 PM
Country_Wisdom_359 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lopes, Govs, Raiders
(01-26-2020 02:06 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Where you’ve been Cuban!!! Missed you. Tons have been written why For Profit education has some serious flaws. That being said, I know many that have degrees from a For Profit University and are very successful in their careers. I bet all the GCU guys that post here are all very successful. No sarcasm at all btw. However, there is a reason for profit schools have a bad stigma.

For sure, Dancing. I’m an alum and I’ve used my post grad degree to get some awesome teaching opportunities. There are some very talented people with whom I’ve attended classes. There are also people enrolled who really aren’t prepared for college and are basically wasting their money. One of the guys in our doctoral residency was a cashier at Walmart hoping to get a promotion. To the faculty’s credit they basically politely weeded him out. No sense going through two more years of classes only to spend tens of thousands and not cross the finish line.

Here’s the thing. That’s not just for profit. I teach at two state schools and a non-profit private school and I have just as many students who are in over their heads. This is actually worse at the masters level. The admissions criteria are shameful and anyone who has a check that won’t bounce gets accepted. Are there horrible non profit programs that are predatory especially on minorities and impoverished prospective students? Sure. I can name plenty. But plenty of non profits smile and take your money while putting you in non credit developmental courses. I guess a lot of it is who profits.

Have you been to campus in Phoenix? They’ve invested a ton and have great facilities. The student experience is great and those kids leave with a solid education. Not plugging the purple koolaid. Point is that even if Brian mueller gets a big cut, the student is still getting as good an experience as they might at a non profit state or private school.

Anyway I hope they get it squared away. It’s a problematic designation from a reputation standpoint but even academics are starting to accept folks with online or for profit degrees; it’s about the people who hold them.
01-26-2020 07:42 PM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

(01-26-2020 02:06 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Where you’ve been Cuban!!! Missed you. Tons have been written why For Profit education has some serious flaws. That being said, I know many that have degrees from a For Profit University and are very successful in their careers. I bet all the GCU guys that post here are all very successful. No sarcasm at all btw. However, there is a reason for profit schools have a bad stigma.

Hey Dancin, I’ve been MIA a while due to a “personal journey” lol let’s just put it that way. Happy to be back and able to have time again to enjoy the Aggies and get back to normal life.
01-26-2020 07:46 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

(01-26-2020 07:42 PM)Country_Wisdom_359 Wrote:  

For sure, Dancing. I’m an alum and I’ve used my post grad degree to get some awesome teaching opportunities. There are some very talented people with whom I’ve attended classes. There are also people enrolled who really aren’t prepared for college and are basically wasting their money. One of the guys in our doctoral residency was a cashier at Walmart hoping to get a promotion. To the faculty’s credit they basically politely weeded him out. No sense going through two more years of classes only to spend tens of thousands and not cross the finish line.

Here’s the thing. That’s not just for profit. I teach at two state schools and a non-profit private school and I have just as many students who are in over their heads. This is actually worse at the masters level. The admissions criteria are shameful and anyone who has a check that won’t bounce gets accepted. Are there horrible non profit programs that are predatory especially on minorities and impoverished prospective students? Sure. I can name plenty. But plenty of non profits smile and take your money while putting you in non credit developmental courses. I guess a lot of it is who profits.

Have you been to campus in Phoenix? They’ve invested a ton and have great facilities. The student experience is great and those kids leave with a solid education. Not plugging the purple koolaid. Point is that even if Brian mueller gets a big cut, the student is still getting as good an experience as they might at a non profit state or private school.

Anyway I hope they get it squared away. It’s a problematic designation from a reputation standpoint but even academics are starting to accept folks with online or for profit degrees; it’s about the people who hold them.

You nailed it. "Its about the people who hold them."
01-28-2020 06:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.