Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Pre week 12 POWER RANKINGS
Tier 1 (Can win a division, and is a bowl lock):
6-4 WMU - Just look the part
6-4 CMU - two toughies remain
5-4 MIAMI - three losses to top 25 teams
5-4 UB - won three in a row
6-3 Toledo - this ranking could look wrong for non UT followers. Although UT is 5-0 in one score games, they're also squeeking by teams they've held large leads against.
4-5 Ohio - can win or lose on any given night, but I think other teams have lower basements

Tier 2 (can win the division and isn't a bowl lock):
4-5 BSU - slipping, with a tough road ahead

Tier 3 (bowl eligiblity hopes trending down, but not dead):
4-5 EMU - OOC season keeping them alive
3-6 KSU - still an improvement of a season
3-6 NIU - rebuild

Tier 4 (better than Akron):
3-6 BGSUcks

Tier 82 (Akron):
Akron
11-07-2019 03:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
RE: Pre week 12 POWER RANKINGS
I cant remember a season when the MAC was so "below average at best", from top to bottom. Its sad.
11-07-2019 09:49 AM
eich41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CMU
And yet watch, this will be the year the MAC has a winning record in bowl games.
11-07-2019 12:18 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

WMU
UB
CMU
MIAMI
UT
OU
BSU
EMU
NIU
KENT
BG
AKRON
11-07-2019 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Fthechips Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Mich
I think WMU is the clear favorite at this point... if they beat Ohio next week then certainly.
11-07-2019 03:03 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Last Week:
Toledo
Ball St
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Ohio
Miami
Buffalo
Eastern Michigan
Kent St
Northern Illinois
Bowling Green St
Akron

This Week:
Toledo
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Miami
Buffalo
Ohio
Ball St
Eastern Michigan
Kent St
Northern Illinois
Bowling Green St
Akron

---Rockets, Broncos, and Chippewas in control in the West.
---Redhawks w/ a win over the Bobcats slots them as the East leader. I put the Bulls over the Bobcats because I feel the Bulls have had the overall better season so far.
---Cardinals, Eagles, and Golden Flashes all very competitive, can beat anyone, but too many Losses
---Interestingly, Huskies aren't out of it if they win out. Need some help, tho.
---Falcons bad, but not as trash as the Zips

---I think this is a year for the East to win, with your top West teams not as good as prior West Champions.
---West still wide open. Anyone in it could still make a Bowl Game - and miss out too.

(11-07-2019 12:18 PM)eich41 Wrote:  And yet watch, this will be the year the MAC has a winning record in bowl games.
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019 06:17 PM by Bronco'14.)
11-07-2019 06:15 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(11-07-2019 09:49 AM)brovol Wrote:  I cant remember a season when the MAC was so "below average at best", from top to bottom. Its sad.

The top of the conference is probably as lousy as I've ever seen it, but imo the below average teams are maybe a little "better" than they usually are. As a quick example, just by the eye test and how they've played against different opponents I think Kent State is better than the typical 4th place East team. FWIW the Sagarin rankings put the MAC West above the C-USA East and Sun Belt West while the MAC East is above the C-USA West. Doesn't make us good, but it could be worse.
11-07-2019 06:42 PM
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(11-07-2019 06:42 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(11-07-2019 09:49 AM)brovol Wrote:  I cant remember a season when the MAC was so "below average at best", from top to bottom. Its sad.

The top of the conference is probably as lousy as I've ever seen it, but imo the below average teams are maybe a little "better" than they usually are. As a quick example, just by the eye test and how they've played against different opponents I think Kent State is better than the typical 4th place East team. FWIW the Sagarin rankings put the MAC West above the C-USA East and Sun Belt West while the MAC East is above the C-USA West. Doesn't make us good, but it could be worse.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Sure, there's no 11-1 NIU or 12-0 WMU, but there's a lot of parity. As a West example, there's usually a couple awful teams. This year, it seems like the whole division is competitive.

It's made for a fun season.
11-07-2019 06:52 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Fun (or not so fun) fact: Miami's matchup against BG next week will be the THIRD time we enter a game with a winning record since winning the MAC in 2010. We were 3-2 in 2012 and 1-0 in 2015 thanks to weak opponents, this is a lot different.
11-07-2019 11:39 PM
JHVMU19 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Miami (OH)
[/quote]

Hopefully for next year this will translate into big out of conference wins.
i.e. development of young players/coaches and hope that everyone can win
11-08-2019 08:30 AM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(11-08-2019 08:30 AM)JHVMU19 Wrote:  Hopefully for next year this will translate into big out of conference wins.

Really hoping Lester can bag a win against either Syracuse or Cincinnati as his first real feather-in-the-cap OOC win (preferably both, of course). Beating Notre Dame is highly unlikely, obviously, but would be glorious.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 08:44 AM by Motown Bronco.)
11-08-2019 08:41 AM
JHVMU19 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Miami (OH)
(11-08-2019 08:41 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
(11-08-2019 08:30 AM)JHVMU19 Wrote:  Hopefully for next year this will translate into big out of conference wins.

Really hoping Lester can bag a win against either Syracuse or Cincinnati as his first real feather-in-the-cap OOC win (preferably both, of course). Beating Notre Dame is highly unlikely, obviously, but would be glorious.

Syracuse and UC are winnable.

ND is not impossible - Ball State had them on their heels and lost 24-16 few years ago.

ND is NOT the same as LSU/OSU/PSU/Alabama/Clemson/Georgia/Oregon/Oklahoma/Michigan/Wisconsin.... (these are the near impossible games on the road)
11-08-2019 09:31 AM
george14 Offline
1st String

(11-07-2019 03:03 PM)Fthechips Wrote:  I think WMU is the clear favorite at this point... if they beat Ohio next week then certainly.

I would hardly consider WMU the clear favorite. They have 2 tough games coming up. Of course they could win both, but they are 0-4 on the road (playing Ohio) and NIU is not a pushover. They are better than what they showed against CMU.

There is no clear favorite. It was Toledo, then CMU, then BSU, now WMU? It's going to come down to the last week. I wouldn't count anyone out at this point. The winner of CMU/BSU is right back in it.
11-08-2019 10:45 AM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
We were down 45-0 at halftime against Ohio last season, at home. That might've been the most embarrassing game I've ever seen us play (and this includes P5 blowouts). I hope that's been stuck in our team's craw since then.
11-08-2019 12:17 PM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(11-08-2019 12:17 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  We were down 45-0 at halftime against Ohio last season, at home. That might've been the most embarrassing game I've ever seen us play (and this includes P5 blowouts). I hope that's been stuck in our team's craw since then.

good times! :-) if only we could replicate that this year!
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 01:05 PM by bobcat_backer.)
11-08-2019 01:04 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Go anyone playing Miami or Ohio.... We need Ohio to lose one and Miami to lose two (that's a big ask)
11-08-2019 01:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.