Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monday Musings Stampeded by Buffaloes
Bookmark and Share
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
Monday Musings Stampeded by Buffaloes
Home game, national TV, free tickets to many recruits and we were stampeded. It was clear we need better recruits up front on both sides of the ball.
After year 2 Creighton fired the DC (forgot who it was) and hired our current DC. Shows he can see and make changes and maybe he kicks the tires on Grubb oh wait nope he is the OC at Fresno. Saw him a few times at Maiz back in the day.
Basketball begins soon and I don't know why this is a football country and push basketball to thanksgiving week please and thank you... Hockey is worse just push that to Christmas... Remember when people wanted a hockey team in Bowen??? YEEESH that would be expensive..
Hopefully Football gets out and finds some buffaloes or else it will be a long few years going forward. Is Creighton becoming Murphizied???

Finally I think Mcelwain at CMU can keep his barn and just plan on an hour commute to work next season in East Lansing.

That is all from the pub.
11-04-2019 07:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Monday Musings Stampeded by Buffaloes
Here is the good news for those at EMU and the immediate area:

https://www.wemu.org/post/emu-hosts-ribb...lth-center

https://today.emich.edu/story/story/11138
11-04-2019 08:03 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear fanfrompowellspub,
I wouldn't be too sure of McElwain landing at Michigan State. It's just me, but I think he has many skeletons in his closet that pose (to me) big questions. The supplement question with two quarterbacks, the death threats that were never proven, the players at the University of Colorado that were dismissed because of drug and steroid use. He may be a good coach, but what is going on in the background?
11-04-2019 10:24 AM
mpleafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU, U of M
Figured this is the best place to put it, but Mid-Major Madness just dropped their "Mid major Coaching database" by filling out FOI Requests

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/...or-2019-20

The relevant part is that Murphy is making 315,000 until 6/30/2021

And here is the PDF with all the info

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUW...ZT1VV/view

Some notes: His contract IS automatically renewed if he win 20 games and/or reaches postseason play, A 30,000 bonus each July 1st, and then a lot of incentives based on MAC play, number of games won, APR, postseason play, attendance, GPA.

All in all, it is an interesting read.
11-04-2019 10:37 AM
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

(11-04-2019 10:24 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear fanfrompowellspub,
I wouldn't be too sure of McElwain landing at Michigan State. It's just me, but I think he has many skeletons in his closet that pose (to me) big questions. The supplement question with two quarterbacks, the death threats that were never proven, the players at the University of Colorado that were dismissed because of drug and steroid use. He may be a good coach, but what is going on in the background?

There are skeletons for sure.. But what experienced D1 coach doesn't have them.
It is MSU they are use to sweeping things under the rug. I think if Dantonio does retire MSU will go all in on Campbell who could have his pick of a few jobs including FSU... When they miss they can point north on US-127
11-04-2019 10:39 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:

McElwain was never at University of Colorado.
11-04-2019 10:43 AM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Boca Rocket,
Yes, I stand corrected, it should have read Colorado State. Never the less, the situation doesn't change.

Dear fanfrompowellspub,
I would have to disagree with your statement that all coaches have "skeletons". Anyway, if your statement is true, what else does McElwain have hidden there?
11-04-2019 10:57 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu

He will fit right in at MSU they like bones that rattle
11-04-2019 11:02 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(11-04-2019 10:57 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Boca Rocket,
Yes, I stand corrected, it should have read Colorado State. Never the less, the situation doesn't change.

Dear fanfrompowellspub,
I would have to disagree with your statement that all coaches have "skeletons". Anyway, if your statement is true, what else does McElwain have hidden there?

It's always what you don't know.
11-04-2019 11:03 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Kalen DeBoar to MSU
11-04-2019 11:32 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-04-2019 11:02 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

He will fit right in at MSU they like bones that rattle

My friend Ken thinks Power 5 schools should be concerned with the morality and discipline of their coach and I admire him for that. Those programs, however, are for the most part guided by the wishes of their donor groups. Those donors will hide behind "morality issues" and assassinate the character of a Greg Schiano at Tennessee if they don't think he can achieve the result they truly care about, WINNING! The top line first page coaching choice for all major vacancies today had a bunch of player arrests (hitman Aaron Hernandez as well) in Florida and served a suspension at Ohio State. If Urban Meyer decides he wants to coach next year, he indeed will.
11-04-2019 06:50 PM
Advertisement

Ypsitownie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Eastern Michiga
CC has young kids and is a family man, so I could see him passing up a big move cross country. MSU is a worry in that way, but after this season I don't see too many suitors anyway.

I have my doubts about CC, but if he can bat .500 for 10 years you keep him. Fans are quick to forget the 30 years of futility. Worst case, a decade of quality, but not championship level football will wash away that embarrassment and leave a foundation for a future big hire. I think it is easy to forget just how awful it was.
11-04-2019 09:43 PM
mpleafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU, U of M
Offtopic but Malik Ellison had 7 pts on 3-15 shooting with 6(!) rebounds in 33 minutes in the Friday Exhibition vs Michigan. Seems like he will play a ton for them. Good for him. He looked good in his time here last year
11-04-2019 11:44 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
(11-04-2019 10:37 AM)mpleafan Wrote:  Figured this is the best place to put it, but Mid-Major Madness just dropped their "Mid major Coaching database" by filling out FOI Requests

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/...or-2019-20

The relevant part is that Murphy is making 315,000 until 6/30/2021

And here is the PDF with all the info

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUW...ZT1VV/view

Some notes: His contract IS automatically renewed if he win 20 games and/or reaches postseason play, A 30,000 bonus each July 1st, and then a lot of incentives based on MAC play, number of games won, APR, postseason play, attendance, GPA.

All in all, it is an interesting read.

2021??????? this is deflating.
11-05-2019 02:17 AM
EagleSam Online
Heisman

Yep. It makes sense why he completely rebuilt it with JUCO’s. He has a 2-year window to turn it around. Hopefully, if things go really sour this season, we just eat the final year of his deal like we did with Ramsey. I wouldn’t get my hopes up, though.
11-05-2019 08:51 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

The worst part is the auto-extension with 20 wins staying in the contract. Terrible clause, and they didn't even add context to it (20 Division 1 wins, for example). The first time it was Derrick Gragg's mistake, but apparently they didn't learn from it. Now Murphy gets two shots at 20 wins for his extension.
11-05-2019 08:54 AM
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I also wonder if there are some EMU basketball boosters/donors who deeply support Murphy but don't post here. Former players? Guys like Grant Long? Or maybe even just other big dollar donors.

There was certainly no groundswell of support for an extension among posters here. But I worry there's guys we don't know about who write big checks and like Murphy. Maybe they pulled their weight around for him?
11-05-2019 09:06 AM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan

Good thing MSU doesn't care about skeletons.
11-05-2019 11:13 AM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(11-04-2019 07:49 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Home game, national TV, free tickets to many recruits and we were stampeded. It was clear we need better recruits up front on both sides of the ball.
After year 2 Creighton fired the DC (forgot who it was) and hired our current DC. Shows he can see and make changes and maybe he kicks the tires on Grubb oh wait nope he is the OC at Fresno. Saw him a few times at Maiz back in the day.
Basketball begins soon and I don't know why this is a football country and push basketball to thanksgiving week please and thank you... Hockey is worse just push that to Christmas... Remember when people wanted a hockey team in Bowen??? YEEESH that would be expensive..
Hopefully Football gets out and finds some buffaloes or else it will be a long few years going forward. Is Creighton becoming Murphizied???

Finally I think Mcelwain at CMU can keep his barn and just plan on an hour commute to work next season in East Lansing.

That is all from the pub.

I just want to say that I was the first person to make this comparison earlier this season; it will become more and more prescient over the next year or so.
11-05-2019 11:15 AM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

EMU has big money basketball donors? ha.
11-05-2019 11:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.