Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Week/DAY: (MBB): Siena Heights
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
MyBB Game Week/DAY: (MBB): Siena Heights
This is it guys. Start of the season with our annual education day game Friday.

What I find most interesting is that the roster doesn't equate with typical Murphy teams. Most of his previous teams have been very long for his zone.

This team seems to be loaded with guards and without much length.

We'll see if the style of play changes as the roster has changed. Is this a team which will shoot better and on defense (?).

I have NO idea what we'll see Friday. There are those who say the new recruits will surprise.

Tune in Friday MORNING to find out.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 12:07 AM by emu steve.)
11-03-2019 12:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: Game Week (MBB): Siena Heights
It is intriguing for sure. While it is improbable that any of the newcomers are great, I am certain that we would not have done well with Ellison, Jones, Silver and McAdoo.
11-03-2019 08:20 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Game Week (MBB): Siena Heights
If Murphy is ever going to change hits strategic style, this is the year. Hard to imagine him changing much though. I just hope this team doesn't win 20-22 games and finish in the middle of the MAC. Either win the whole thing or win less than 20 so we can move on.
11-03-2019 08:58 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-03-2019 08:58 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  If Murphy is ever going to change hits strategic style, this is the year. Hard to imagine him changing much though. I just hope this team doesn't win 20-22 games and finish in the middle of the MAC. Either win the whole thing or win less than 20 so we can move on.

Is this the last year of his contract? Or is this simply SOCIAL MEDIA speculation?

Does anyone know FOR SURE?????

(FWIW: I have not searched on the Internet for his contract).
11-03-2019 09:28 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(11-03-2019 09:28 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-03-2019 08:58 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  If Murphy is ever going to change hits strategic style, this is the year. Hard to imagine him changing much though. I just hope this team doesn't win 20-22 games and finish in the middle of the MAC. Either win the whole thing or win less than 20 so we can move on.

Is this the last year of his contract? Or is this simply SOCIAL MEDIA speculation?

Well you better get busy then. LOL.
11-03-2019 10:04 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(11-03-2019 08:20 AM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  It is intriguing for sure. While it is improbable that any of the newcomers are great, I am certain that we would not have done well with Ellison, Jones, Silver and McAdoo.

I couldn't agree more Jerry, as I've said before Murphy is playing poker with his career this season, he didn't like the hand you referenced so he turned his cards in and asked for a new deal. To me that makes this season fascinating.
11-03-2019 10:20 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(11-03-2019 10:20 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(11-03-2019 08:20 AM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  It is intriguing for sure. While it is improbable that any of the newcomers are great, I am certain that we would not have done well with Ellison, Jones, Silver and McAdoo.

I couldn't agree more Jerry, as I've said before Murphy is playing poker with his career this season, he didn't like the hand you referenced so he turned his cards in and asked for a new deal. To me that makes this season fascinating.
Excellent analogy, 79. Murphy is definitely "all in" on this one.
11-03-2019 11:47 AM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
I've a gut feeling Murphy's going to coach his heart out this year! And, I'm feeling better then 15-17 like last season! I think we might have a team this year, instead of a few players like last year! On film Gibson, Morgan, Montero can play, and then throw in the wildcard Barnes, add Toure, and Groce, and we're deeper then last year! Plus, on film we've some shooters...…..As I said earlier in 30 years following EMU athletics, this team has my interest! TEN new players is still hard to fathom though!
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019 12:17 PM by EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's.)
11-03-2019 12:16 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I just want to make a cogent comment on social media. I'm parroting what I heard on our (D.C.) all news radio.

He was bemoaning all of the misinformation on social media.

What he said was that it their station (WTOP in case anyone is interested. Very highly rated and listened to station) the reporter gets a story then one or two editors review the story and then the on the air reporter reviews the story.

OTOH, on social media one can not only post conspiracy theories, half truths and things the poster thinks is correct but may be dead wrong. That's why folks need to be really careful on these boards.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019 01:15 PM by emu steve.)
11-03-2019 01:14 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports...111093766/

Steve this is the contract info that I have.
11-03-2019 02:15 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(11-03-2019 01:14 PM)emu steve Wrote:  I just want to make a cogent comment on social media. I'm parroting what I heard on our (D.C.) all news radio.

He was bemoaning all of the misinformation on social media.

What he said was that it their station (WTOP in case anyone is interested. Very highly rated and listened to station) the reporter gets a story then one or two editors review the story and then the on the air reporter reviews the story.

OTOH, on social media one can not only post conspiracy theories, half truths and things the poster thinks is correct but may be dead wrong. That's why folks need to be really careful on these boards.
Does this include you Mr. always over optimistic 07-coffee3
11-03-2019 02:57 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

You will not have to worry about that. Rest easy, you can move on. 03-lmfao
11-03-2019 03:30 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-03-2019 03:30 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
You will not have to worry about that. Rest easy, you can move on. 03-lmfao

Is that a prediction?
11-03-2019 04:11 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Just something I wanted to mention about our basketball schedule. While we may only have three this year but we once again appear to be the only MAC team that schedules Saturday conference home games at noon. I realize that many Power 5 programs play at noon but that it at the behest of their TV contract.

Apparently the other MAC schools consider a later start more fan friendly and I cannot agree more. For someone like EMU 79 to attend such a game from the Lansing area, it requires a departure time close to 10:00 AM in the morning, for many hardly a sleep-in Saturday.

Murphy apparently thinks this will give him an advantage vs. WMU, CMU and Akron, perhaps by limiting the opposing crowd but it has not worked that well in the past. Then again the other MAC coaches and their families live near campus, there is no need to clear the Saturday game from their personal schedule so early in the weekend.
11-03-2019 07:17 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(11-03-2019 09:28 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

This year is the end of Murphy’s contract unless EMU wins 20 to automatically extend it one year.

After the first season, Murphy renegotiated a new 5 year contract, bringing him to a 6th season under contract. In his third year he went 22-15 for an automatic extension to 7th season under contract. In his 4th year, he went 21-14 extending his contract to 8 seasons. In his 7th year he went 22-13 to extend his contract to 9 years. This is now his 9th season... no conspiracy theory.
11-03-2019 07:52 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

I am excited for this basketball season to start. Although Murphy always has a knack for keeping things at around 0.500, I think the extent of the player turnover this year leads me to believe this won’t hold true this time around.

But still, as some of you pointed out, Murphy seems to have focused more on 3-point shooting with this recruiting class than he has in the past. Consistentancy in this aspect of the game has been Murphy’s Achilles Heel. I am curious to what impact this will have if it holds true as an area of improvement.
11-03-2019 08:12 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

Trying to make senses of this roster: projected starters, depth chart, and walk-ons. Can anyone advise? What do I have wrong below?

PG 6-2 James/ 6-1 Parris/ 6-3 Spottsville
SG 6-5 Morgan/ 6-5 Montero/ 6-4 Barnes
SF 6-8 Groce/ 6-6 Gibson/ 6-6 Dillard
PF 6-10 Binelli/ 6-8 Pacheo
C 6-11 Toure/ 6-10 King
(Walk-ons: 6-0 Gibbs, 6-4 Peterson, 6-8 Ballard)
11-03-2019 10:10 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
(11-03-2019 10:10 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Trying to make senses of this roster: projected starters, depth chart, and walk-ons. Can anyone advise? What do I have wrong below?

PG 6-2 James/ 6-1 Parris/ 6-3 Spottsville
SG 6-5 Morgan/ 6-5 Montero/ 6-4 Barnes
SF 6-8 Groce/ 6-6 Gibson/ 6-6 Dillard
PF 6-10 Binelli/ 6-8 Pacheo
C 6-11 Toure/ 6-10 King
(Walk-ons: 6-0 Gibbs, 6-4 Peterson, 6-8 Ballard)

i wouldn't be surprised to see Groce come off the bench.
11-03-2019 11:18 PM
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

(11-03-2019 07:17 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Just something I wanted to mention about our basketball schedule. While we may only have three this year but we once again appear to be the only MAC team that schedules Saturday conference home games at noon. I realize that many Power 5 programs play at noon but that it at the behest of their TV contract.

Apparently the other MAC schools consider a later start more fan friendly and I cannot agree more. For someone like EMU 79 to attend such a game from the Lansing area, it requires a departure time close to 10:00 AM in the morning, for many hardly a sleep-in Saturday.

Murphy apparently thinks this will give him an advantage vs. WMU, CMU and Akron, perhaps by limiting the opposing crowd but it has not worked that well in the past. Then again the other MAC coaches and their families live near campus, there is no need to clear the Saturday game from their personal schedule so early in the weekend.

I actually like the noon games. Go out to breakfast, You see more families and kids at the game. Students do not show up as much but they are never really a factor since we moved to the Convo. Easier to get younger alums in my opinion to the games at noon then 3 or 5 or 7 on a saturday.
11-04-2019 07:55 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-04-2019 07:55 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  
(11-03-2019 07:17 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Just something I wanted to mention about our basketball schedule. While we may only have three this year but we once again appear to be the only MAC team that schedules Saturday conference home games at noon. I realize that many Power 5 programs play at noon but that it at the behest of their TV contract.

I actually like the noon games. Go out to breakfast, You see more families and kids at the game. Students do not show up as much but they are never really a factor since we moved to the Convo. Easier to get younger alums in my opinion to the games at noon then 3 or 5 or 7 on a saturday.

One advantage for noon games (but not us, the home team) is that visitors bus in on Friday, have practice, etc. play a noon game and bus home Saturday afternoon, without traveling all night.

What I suspect teams hate worse is playing a 7 p.m. (CST) game in DeKalb and busing home and arrives during the middle of night.
11-04-2019 08:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.