Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Athletes can profit from names and likeness
Bookmark and Share
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Athletes can profit from names and likeness
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...likenesses

Well boys it 's been fun...but this is the next major domino to fall... the P5 (with some select G5s that will be promoted) will form their own minor league of sorts and all non-profitable G5s like us will move down to FCS.

Helluva a run and will still enjoy NIU football but the horizon looks murkier than ever
10-29-2019 04:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

RE: Athletes can profit from names and likeness
Jordon Lynch could of made some big bucks off this. He made DD millions and not a dime for himself. I hope DD sends JL a Christmas gift every year.
10-29-2019 05:55 PM
HuskieManiac Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Northern ill
If anything this is better for g5 schools more than it hurts them, they’ll get recruits they never would of landed before.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 06:01 PM by HuskieManiac.)
10-29-2019 06:00 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

(10-29-2019 06:00 PM)HuskieManiac Wrote:  If anything this is better for g5 schools more than it hurts them, they’ll get recruits they never would of landed before.

I am hopeful so I'll bite... why would this be the case? Being able to market oneself at a large institution with a rabid fan base seems to make the P5 more attractive not less...
10-29-2019 06:46 PM
Big Redd Offline
Special Teams

This is about the gap within P5 between blue bloods and the rest. Not seeing a G5 impact, at least for now.
10-29-2019 06:53 PM
HuskieManiac Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-29-2019 06:46 PM)jjprender Wrote:  
(10-29-2019 06:00 PM)HuskieManiac Wrote:  If anything this is better for g5 schools more than it hurts them, they’ll get recruits they never would of landed before.

I am hopeful so I'll bite... why would this be the case? Being able to market oneself at a large institution with a rabid fan base seems to make the P5 more attractive not less...

Think big fish in a small pond kind of thing, recruits that would be just another guy in the line up could be a star at NIU and therefore might get sponsors they wouldn’t of acquired other wise.
10-29-2019 07:09 PM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
The P5 can only recruit so many players, and they already get first pick from all of the top rated high school kids. I don't see much changing, and hope the rules do a good job pinching off any opportunity for alumni to buy players with "advertising" money. Also hope this doesn't create a market for star players bailing on G5 programs for promised $$$ at the P5 level after a hot season?

Maybe we pick up a few extra good recruits looking to "start" at NIU as opposed to "compete to start" at Michigan State, thinking it puts them in a better position to become marquee?
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 07:13 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
10-29-2019 07:11 PM
NIU84 Offline
1st String

Have some fun with it! Bring up the roster and see what strikes you, I'm sure we can crowd source some better ones:

"Seattle Sutton Smith", fresh meals which leave you speedy from the outside in!
"When your portfolio bounces around too much, it's time to invest in bonds. Give Joe Bonds a call at ....."
"For all your fashion needs, see Mariano Valenti, the only name in college student fashion..."
"After a Huskies game, dry your tears at 'Spencer Tears' pub and grill..."
Marques Cox..I'm gonna pass on this one..
10-29-2019 08:00 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(10-29-2019 07:09 PM)HuskieManiac Wrote:  If anything this is better for g5 schools more than it hurts them, they’ll get recruits they never would of landed before.
Think big fish in a small pond kind of thing, recruits that would be just another guy in the line up could be a star at NIU and therefore might get sponsors they wouldn’t of acquired other wise.

Nice try but that won't happen.
No. 1, the P5s will set their own rules and if anything that will include expanding roster slots or red-shirt rules.
No. 2, what "sponsors" are going to opt to promote someone from a G5 program over spending their money on a P5? Seriously, how many companies are debating spending dollars on G5 schools instead of a P5 athlete?
No. 3, recruits right now don't choose to be big fish in a small pond. Recruits now are willing to sit the bench at a P5 rather than take the chance to be a star with a G5.
No. 4, IF, and that's a huge if, a G5 player is successful enough to draw sponsors that kid will start thinking "gee, I could make even more at a P5 program" not to mention P5 programs will use that same pitch to poach kids.
10-29-2019 08:01 PM
HuskieManiac Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-29-2019 08:01 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(10-29-2019 07:09 PM)HuskieManiac Wrote:  If anything this is better for g5 schools more than it hurts them, they’ll get recruits they never would of landed before.

Nice try but that won't happen.
No. 1, the P5s will set their own rules and if anything that will include expanding roster slots or red-shirt rules.
No. 2, what "sponsors" are going to opt to promote someone from a G5 program over spending their money on a P5? Seriously, how many companies are debating spending dollars on G5 schools instead of a P5 athlete?
No. 3, recruits right now don't choose to be big fish in a small pond. Recruits now are willing to sit the bench at a P5 rather than take the chance to be a star with a G5.
No. 4, IF, and that's a huge if, a G5 player is successful enough to draw sponsors that kid will start thinking "gee, I could make even more at a P5 program" not to mention P5 programs will use that same pitch to poach kids.

I’d have to disagree.
Because this allows college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness, it may help G5 programs; a good player on a P5 team may get more publicity at a G5 program hence the big fish in a smaller pond type of deal....the top G5 guys will get paid. A guy like Sutton or Lynch would have gotten paid. You may find high 3 star/low 4 star guys realize their best endorsement opportunity is absolutely crushing it with huge stats at a good G5 and not languishing on the bench at a good P5.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 09:49 PM by HuskieManiac.)
10-29-2019 09:46 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Lets hope the rules are clear across the board and fair. At the end of the day how many kids will actually cash in on this? Maybe 20-30 nationally, the rest regionally with local car dealership ads and the like?

What if a big-time alumni wants to pay "the whole Michigan football team" to be in his commercial, basically a way to issue a paycheck to everyone on the roster. Hope this kind of a thing is sniffed out.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 11:39 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
10-29-2019 11:38 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
I almost feel like this is of the thinking, "the whole system is corrupt so now everyone can be corrupt". I understand the decision, but I don't think this will end well
10-29-2019 11:41 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
This makes the basketball scandal legal. G5 will be trashed. Nike will have their schools paying their players,coaches. There will be many schools with T Boone Pickens alums sponsoring oil wells etc..etc... The transfer market? Will shape up like this..Sutton Smith you transfer here the used car dealer in town will put you in an ad and a Cadillac.

You think Baylor was a whorehouse you haven't seen nothing yet. Yes , I would expect the crazy Texas schools with $$$ to sponsor significantly.
10-30-2019 07:02 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
We thrashed and trashed this subject on a thread started 9-30, "California passes law that allows college athletes to get paid." Now the NCAA has jumped in/been forced to deal with it. Plenty of P5 boosters with cash everywhere; were always there, doing what they do.

Impacts depend on the details NCAA works out for mechanics, accounting, agent/agency representation and access to student-athletes), tax liability, etc. Will recruiting also now involve citing opportnities for endorsements? Does the athletic department now keep a portfolio of prospective endorsers, agents, etc.? And how to endorsers contact student-athletes ... independently, through the AS.Dept. ... what?

I made this point on the "old" thread ... there are plenty of boosters of big programs who have the cash who may just want to "buy" a player with a cash "endorsement" deal, just for bragging rights. Who gets to say "no" and draw the line somewhere? If not the NCAA, then who?

I agreed then... still do ... with posters who say this pushes the P5 further away from all others in college athletics. I think we're looking at the rules/regulations of whatever the NFL has for individual endorsement deals. Anyone know anything about that?
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2019 07:33 AM by pvk75.)
10-30-2019 07:27 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

This will have zero affect on NIU. We can't even get a good deal on naming rights for Convo. So Bowers is going to pull in 6 figures?
10-30-2019 08:02 AM
NIU_PSE Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Huskies
(10-29-2019 04:59 PM)jjprender Wrote:  https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...likenesses

Well boys it 's been fun...but this is the next major domino to fall... the P5 (with some select G5s that will be promoted) will form their own minor league of sorts and all non-profitable G5s like us will move down to FCS.

Helluva a run and will still enjoy NIU football but the horizon looks murkier than ever

Completely concur.
Some additional comments:
Ruining a "still" currently decent product. Why would anybody copy anything failing California does?
Classic example of "incrementalism". First "special athlete" admissions, then "athletic stipend" and now outright professional payment.
Have we gotten so far away from the student part of student-athlete that the free tuition, room, board and education are not enough value for extra curricular compensation?
On a another note, my best fishing buddy is a rabid, long time paying UNC athletic booster. You should have heard these psychos when UNC got eliminated from the NCAA tournament by hot 3-point shooting teams the last couple years. (They consider Auburn and the SEC, mid-majors in basketball). Under the radar during the off season, you'll remember the ACC successfully lobbied the NCAA to move the 3-point line back to the pro distance. UNC doesn't want any "lucky" mid-majors eliminating their 5 star 7 footers from the tournament anymore.

Final note, the conversion of college athletics to professional status will fail in the long run. They are jumping on the same professional train of the down trending NFL and NBA. Too bad.
10-30-2019 09:07 AM
Advertisement

DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
"Student-athlete" was always a lie to cover for exploiting athletes- it's been well documented at this point.

Given the NCAAs comments about wanting to do this "within the collegiate model" I wouldn't be so positive this is really about them evolving as them trying to win a PR cycle by pretending to reform. But as long as their precious need to have the athletes not considered employees in the law is covered, they're bound to actually evolve.

That coaches make millions, that there is a facilities arms race, while the best the athletes have gotten is a return to the old-old days when there were stipends is unconscionable. Letting people make a couple bucks off their own names is just this side of the least that can be done to balance the equation.
10-30-2019 09:14 AM
niu50yrdline Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU Huskies
So, does this mean we get EA Sports NCAA Football for PS4? Always loved that game.
10-30-2019 09:34 AM
niu79 Offline
All American

It will be definitely interesting. Other than the top names, can't see much of a legitimate market for 99.9% of college athletes. The demand just doesn't exist. However, as mentioned earlier in this thread, watch for the creative uses that arise for boosters to pay athletes under the guise of using their "names and likenesses".
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2019 09:55 AM by niu79.)
10-30-2019 09:53 AM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
This has much additional to play out. Politicians are now taking steps to classify scholarships as “income”, which would make any scholarship taxable. The feeling is that if an athlete uses their scholarship to leverage other income, then the scholarship itself should be taxable. Pandora’s box is now open.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2019 11:06 AM by HuskieDave.)
10-30-2019 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.