Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UConn's 2020 schedule almost complete
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
UConn's 2020 schedule almost complete
UConn’s 2020 football schedule is just about finalized. It will feature five Power Five opponents, seven home games, a trip to Ole Miss in late October and a game against Army at Rentschler Field to close out the season in late November.

The 2020 season looks like this: home against UMass, at Illinois, at Virginia, home against Indiana, home against Maine, at Ole Miss, home against Liberty, at San Jose State, home against Army.

That’s nine of 12. Those games are under contract. UConn was awaiting the finalization of agreements with three other programs, one of which is a Power Five team from the ACC.

UConn Football 2020 Games Under Contract

Sept. 3: UMass

Sept. 12: at Illinois

Sept. 26: Indiana

Oct 24: at Ole Miss

Oct. 31: Liberty

Nov. 14: at San Jose State

Nov. 28: Army

Dates TBA: Maine, at Virginia

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uco...story.html
10-24-2019 06:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: UConn's 2020 schedule almost complete
FB Schedules has Maine playing UConn on 9/19.

Ole Miss had Middle Tennessee on 10/24. I assume MTSU will now play UConn.
Liberty had a bye on 10/31. They already had 12 games scheduled. I assume they're dropping Virginia to play UConn.
San Jose State and Army were playing 11/14. Army had a bye week 11/28.
10-24-2019 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Looking like a decent schedule after a mad scramble. If more schools could make a direct deal with ESPN for ESPN+ and to the ESPN Bowl pool, or localish bowl, I think you'd see more Indy teams in the next few years.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2019 07:34 AM by Yosef Himself.)
10-24-2019 07:32 AM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
So presumably they broke into:

San Jose St vs Army
Liberty vs UVA
Ole Miss vs MTSU

to effectively pick up 6 more games. I’m surprised to not see NMSU on here taking advantage of the Hawaii exemption to play a 13th game. Perhaps the details are still being hammered out.

Any guesses as to who the other ACC school is?
10-24-2019 07:48 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
If they can get good TV and 5-6 P5's a year they may make Independence work.
10-24-2019 07:59 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
(10-24-2019 07:48 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  So presumably they broke into:

San Jose St vs Army
Liberty vs UVA
Ole Miss vs MTSU

to effectively pick up 6 more games. I’m surprised to not see NMSU on here taking advantage of the Hawaii exemption to play a 13th game. Perhaps the details are still being hammered out.

Any guesses as to who the other ACC school is?

Virginia Tech still has an opening next year with only three OOC games scheduled (Liberty, Penn State, & MTSU).
10-24-2019 08:02 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I would expect Army to become a annual opponent
10-24-2019 08:19 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
I was going to start breaking down what scheduled games UConn had to crack open, and what that means for my priors about what different schools valued.

But I thought about how loud wrong I was about UConn's 2020 schedule, so I'll try to shut up.
10-24-2019 08:22 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Dave Benedict deserves serious consideration for AD of the Year. The fact he was able to get UConn not just a full Independent schedule for 2020 in a matter of about 3.5 months, actually a quality, fan-interested schedule is truly remarkable. For Edsall, or whomever is UConn's Head Coach, will not have Independence as a hindrance in recruiting, that's for sure.

Well done, UConn.
10-24-2019 08:22 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(10-24-2019 08:22 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  I was going to start breaking down what scheduled games UConn had to crack open, and what that means for my priors about what different schools valued.

But I thought about how loud wrong I was about UConn's 2020 schedule, so I'll try to shut up.

All is forgiven, looking forward to playing you guys in basketball.
10-24-2019 08:24 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(10-24-2019 06:49 AM)TerryD Wrote:  UConn’s 2020 football schedule is just about finalized. It will feature five Power Five opponents, seven home games, a trip to Ole Miss in late October and a game against Army at Rentschler Field to close out the season in late November.

Let's face it - that's a more appealing schedule right there, with three games left to fill, than their typical AAC schedule was.
10-24-2019 08:28 AM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Tidbits from the article:

“That was an extremely confidential process and there were very few people involved,” athletic director David Benedict said. “That's just the way it had to be.” Basically, Benedict chose not to let affected parties know because A) there was a risk the Big East deal would fall apart, as a prior one had a few years ago; and B) he couldn’t let word leak.

So, UConn had prior talks with the Big East years ago (while in the AAC). This would align with reports from several college basketball commentators (including those on ESPN) that echoed and reported that belief.

"The AAC’s new TV contract, one of the reasons it was so intent on leaving the conference, would have pushed many UConn games onto ESPN-Plus."

Once again, the deciding factor that UConn chose to bolt: the AAC TV deal.

"UConn’s guarantee games in the future will come mostly against top teams from the SEC and Big Ten. It will be balanced with home-and-home series with mid-level Power 5 teams and regionalized with expected annual games against Boston College, UMass, Syracuse and Army. BYU is expected to be a regular opponent."

This type of annual schedule will be as good, if not better in some years, than what UConn had in the Big East. This will immensely help with a TV contract and recruiting.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2019 08:39 AM by GoldenWarrior11.)
10-24-2019 08:38 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-24-2019 07:17 AM)zibby Wrote:  FB Schedules has Maine playing UConn on 9/19.

Liberty had a bye on 10/31. They already had 12 games scheduled. I assume they're dropping Virginia to play UConn.

Hard to see why Liberty would drop UVA or MTSU would drop Ole Miss.

Have to have the game in another year and UConn paying a bunch.
10-24-2019 08:40 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(10-24-2019 07:48 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  So presumably they broke into:

San Jose St vs Army
Liberty vs UVA
Ole Miss vs MTSU

to effectively pick up 6 more games.

Yeah ... as I observed a few weeks ago, just two would pretty much get them to FBS compliance. Three is rounding the corner and heading for home.

Two of those are games involving an independent that has a direct incentive to see UConn stay in business as an FBS independent.

The third is the one that might be recycling buy game money from another buy game ... promising MTSU the same contract money for a away trip they have a much better chance of winning while offering Ole Miss a lower cost buy game, by taking the Ole Miss money and topping it up to hand to MTSU.

Quote: I’m surprised to not see NMSU on here taking advantage of the Hawaii exemption to play a 13th game. Perhaps the details are still being hammered out.

There would have been quite a lot of balls in the air that they were juggling, not surprising if they set a few to one side to see if they would work after the main outlines of the schedule was hammered out.

Quote: Any guesses as to who the other ACC school is?

No clue. Might new conference mate Nova "take one for the team" and accept a side payment and a future game at UConn in return for waiving the penalty for Wake breaking their contract? I dunno ... and don't really know anyone who might know.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2019 09:11 AM by BruceMcF.)
10-24-2019 08:51 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-24-2019 08:40 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-24-2019 07:17 AM)zibby Wrote:  FB Schedules has Maine playing UConn on 9/19.

In interpreting the article, it looks like UConn is essentially playing MTSU’s guarantee game at Ole Miss, but MTSU is still getting the payout.
10-24-2019 08:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Online
Legend

(10-24-2019 08:51 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

In interpreting the article, it looks like UConn is essentially playing MTSU’s guarantee game at Ole Miss, but MTSU is still getting the payout.

I read it that way too. Whoever is running the UConn scheduling effort is doing a good job, that is creative thinking there.
10-24-2019 08:53 AM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline

DISCLAIMER: I was JUST superduper wrong about UConn being able to put together a 2020 FBS schedule. But you asked.

Liberty has a strong interest in keeping UConn viable as an FBS independent. Strength in numbers.

UVA is not sorry to see Liberty go, IMO. UConn is a perfectly adequate replacement, without Falwell cooties. Maybe an upgrade, because Liberty goes bowling if they get 2 wins out of Rutgers, UMass and NMSU, who are a combined 2-19. UConn can be relied upon for an easy win in 2020.

Middle Tennessee is keeping the check for the Ole Miss game. In addition, MTSU has a spot open now, UConn is likely looking for a 6th home game. So the Blue Raiders cash another check.

Why is Ole Miss helping UConn, that's a different question.

Army making moves to help UConn is a big plus for UConn, long-term. I thought "national schedule" and Army's ability to schedule P5s limited UConn's value to Army. But if Army is an annual opponent, Army and UMass alternate as home games.
10-24-2019 09:01 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(10-24-2019 09:01 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  UVA is not sorry to see Liberty go, IMO. UConn is a perfectly adequate replacement, without Falwell cooties. Maybe an upgrade, because Liberty goes bowling if they get 2 wins out of Rutgers, UMass and NMSU, who are a combined 2-19. UConn can be relied upon for an easy win in 2020.

About those two points, I would add that for Virginia, UConn is also better because losing to them would be slightly less embarrassing than losing to Liberty. Nothing worse for a P5 flagship than to lose to an in-state school from a lesser tier.

As for Ole Miss, it is no skin off their teeth who they pay the $1 million (or whatever it is) to, and for all the badgering they get around here, UConn is a bigger brand name than MTSU.
10-24-2019 09:10 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-24-2019 09:01 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

DISCLAIMER: I was JUST superduper wrong about UConn being able to put together a 2020 FBS schedule. But you asked.

Liberty has a strong interest in keeping UConn viable as an FBS independent. Strength in numbers.

UVA is not sorry to see Liberty go, IMO. UConn is a perfectly adequate replacement, without Falwell cooties. Maybe an upgrade, because Liberty goes bowling if they get 2 wins out of Rutgers, UMass and NMSU, who are a combined 2-19. UConn can be relied upon for an easy win in 2020.

Middle Tennessee is keeping the check for the Ole Miss game. In addition, MTSU has a spot open now, UConn is likely looking for a 6th home game. So the Blue Raiders cash another check.

Army making moves to help UConn is a big plus for UConn, long-term. I thought "national schedule" and Army's ability to schedule P5s limited UConn's value to Army. But if Army is an annual opponent, Army and UMass alternate as home games.

It will be interesting to see if UConn can actually get annual series with BC and Syracuse as indicated in the article because that would be huge for the Huskies. I believe that the UConn fan base would be thrilled with Syracuse and BC as annual games while sprinkling in a few more P5 games on top of that - that's essentially the best case scenario for UConn independence. It looks like Syracuse's non-conference schedule starting in 2022 has enough openings to do that with shifting any games around. BC's non-conference schedule is tighter in some years, so it would probably take a little more horse trading. The ACC schools have a bit more flexibility in non-conference scheduling compared to the Big Ten since they have only 8 conference games, so that can work to UConn's benefit in getting more long-term scheduling arrangements with ACC opponents.
10-24-2019 09:12 AM
johnbragg Offline

(10-24-2019 09:10 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-24-2019 09:01 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  UVA is not sorry to see Liberty go, IMO. UConn is a perfectly adequate replacement, without Falwell cooties. Maybe an upgrade, because Liberty goes bowling if they get 2 wins out of Rutgers, UMass and NMSU, who are a combined 2-19. UConn can be relied upon for an easy win in 2020.

About those two points, I would add that for Virginia, UConn is also better because losing to them would be slightly less embarrassing than losing to Liberty. Nothing worse for a P5 flagship than to lose to an in-state school from a lesser tier.

As for Ole Miss, it is no skin off their teeth who they pay the $1 million (or whatever it is) to, and for all the badgering they get around here, UConn is a bigger brand name than MTSU.

That assumes UConn is playing for free. Which, now that I think about it, is a viable assumption. Middle Tennessee's administration is happy--they're probably collecting 2 checks instead of one.

Being wrong means I have to reevaluate "facts" and assumptions. Does a body-bag game vs UConn really help Ole Miss at the gate vs any other FBS body-bag game? Is playing UConn sorta-kinda like playing Duke or Kansas--awful football, but some halo effect from basketball? (Duke has been good lately, but analogies are hard.)
10-24-2019 09:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.