Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2019-20 basketball season -
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
2019-20 basketball season -
Well might as well get this season jumpstarted. It's my understanding we beat SBU in a scrimmage on Saturday without CJ, Gio, and Danny.

Played 48 min. and won by 11. I looked up the Bonnies and they are picked 6th out of 14 A-10 teams.

Sounds like a good result to me. Need to get all the fellas as healthy as possible as the season is a grind.
10-20-2019 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cschierh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
RE: 2019-20 basketball season -
(10-20-2019 08:45 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Well might as well get this season jumpstarted. It's my understanding we beat SBU in a scrimmage on Saturday without CJ, Gio, and Danny.

Played 48 min. and won by 11. I looked up the Bonnies and they are picked 6th out of 14 A-10 teams.

Sounds like a good result to me. Need to get all the fellas as healthy as possible as the season is a grind.

Sendy said at press day that CJ and Gio hadn’t practiced a minute because of injuries. CJ has broken foot. Didn’t say about Gio. Danny has been in and out of practice.

Troy Simons has looked very good in practice. Booman is running point.

Here’s Stater story on press day.

http://www.kentwired.com/sports/article_...0ada8.html
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019 09:25 PM by cschierh.)
10-20-2019 09:19 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Never want to deal with injuries but this year we've got 15 guys eligible none of which appear to be traditional walk-ons. So that should help a little.

The new guy's I'm most excited to see are Simons, Beck, Castillo, and Hernandez. I'm also really excited to see how Williams adjusts to the point (I love his game) and to see how much Roberts has improved from year 1.
10-20-2019 10:22 PM
OLNWFLSH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KSU
Story in PD about Kalin B
PD article
10-21-2019 06:51 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Nice story, hopefully he’s a great success story as a student and also eventually as an athlete. I’m guessing there will be a big need for patience as he develops.
10-21-2019 03:41 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I know preseason rankings mean nothing but to give us something to talk about. Here is cbs sports take on the season.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...very-team/

Tol - 93
CMU - 112
Ball - 119
BG - 124
Kent - 143
Buff - 154
Akron - 155
NIU - 166
Miami - 176
WMU - 217
EMU - 230
Ohio - 282
10-22-2019 02:05 PM
Advertisement

delflash Offline
2nd String

Here is the take on Kent State:

143. Kent State: Prototypical balanced, if undersized, MAC team that will peel off a few wins it shouldn't and could be a tourney spoiler.
10-22-2019 03:57 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(10-22-2019 03:57 PM)delflash Wrote:  Here is the take on Kent State:

143. Kent State: Prototypical balanced, if undersized, MAC team that will peel off a few wins it shouldn't and could be a tourney spoiler.

'UNDERSIZED' ...Really???

This might be the biggest overall roster -for size - since 2003.

That team had 7-0 John Edwards, 6-9 Nate Gerwig, 6-7 Cliff Brown, 6-7 Brandon Roach, 6-7 Anthony Wilkins, not to mention 6-5 Antonio Gates ... overall 12 of 13 players on that roster were 6-2 or taller. ... Truly a big Team.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019 07:40 PM by cleveland.)
10-22-2019 06:21 PM
GoKsuFlashes! Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: kent state
very much looking forward to the upcoming season! :)

I love this roster.

why are we playing hiram?? what purpose does it serve?? same goes for game vs concord. why???? should be playing duquesne, pitt, marshall, etc.. instead

not too conscerened about the injuries as our roster is deep (loaded.)

go flashes!!04-rock04-rock

mike m
'86
10-23-2019 11:27 AM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(10-23-2019 11:27 AM)GoKsuFlashes! Wrote:  very much looking forward to the upcoming season! :)

I love this roster.

why are we playing hiram?? what purpose does it serve?? same goes for game vs concord. why???? should be playing duquesne, pitt, marshall, etc.. instead

mike m
'86
10-23-2019 01:09 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(10-23-2019 11:27 AM)GoKsuFlashes! Wrote:  very much looking forward to the upcoming season! :)

I love this roster.

mike m
'86

Story I get is it’s very difficult to get home games in MAC center.
Hiram and Concord an embarrassment and waste.
However, other MAC schools have similar games vs DIII opponents.
Comes down to men’s Basketball being sport of emphasis per our esteemed AD but no desire to pay guarantees to get legitimate teams to come to our place, Dump that it is.
Season ticket holders paying for these games is a rip off to say the least.
10-23-2019 01:14 PM
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(10-23-2019 01:14 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  

I love this roster.

mike m
'86

Story I get is it’s very difficult to get home games in MAC center.
Hiram and Concord an embarrassment and waste.
However, other MAC schools have similar games vs DIII opponents.
Comes down to men’s Basketball being sport of emphasis per our esteemed AD but no desire to pay guarantees to get legitimate teams to come to our place, Dump that it is.
Season ticket holders paying for these games is a rip off to say the least.

AGREE ... ON THE FACE OF IT ... Hiram and Concord are terrible games to have on the schedule .... HOWEVER

KSU does play St. Bonaventure and Duquesne is closed scrimmages which often include the equivalent of three 20-minute periods with officials where coaches on both sides can work on specific aspects of their game (agreed upon before hand) like all man-to-man defense one period, all zone one period and so forth.

In the long run this may be more important than a W/L on the ledger to either one of them.

Put another way ... if the trade off leads to a W vs. Oregon State or Nebraska or West Virginia I guess I can treat it like broccoli ... I'll eat it because it 'might' be good for me, ... but I still don't like it.
10-24-2019 06:48 AM
KSUforever Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State Univ
Has anyone got any info on the injury front? It sounds like Rob has had to deal with a lot of injuries over the last few weeks.
10-24-2019 07:11 AM
goldenflash99 Offline
Special Teams

In 20+ years following the program I can't recall us having many home games against major conference teams. Of course recently there was Oregon State, and years ago we hosted WVU in the NIT but I believe that was because there was a scheduling conflict at their arena. I miss the Bracket Buster era when we'd often get home games against a solid teams like Creighton, Southern Illinois, Hawaii etc.
10-24-2019 09:27 AM
GoFlashes8 Offline
Bench Warmer

Whittington, Booman, Simon, & Roberts need to make a big jump and have great seasons. Sounds like Pippen has had to have a few follow up procedures on the knee so it has been slow on the rehab front.

Is it possible to redshirt CJ Williamson with the broken foot?
Has Peterson improved his outside shot or will he be coming off of the bench?
Bainbridge & Bennett redshirting this year with Bainbridge adding weight and Bennett needing to lose it?
Nuga redshirting because of transfer rules.
Is Castillo a wing player or more of a post?
What about Beck, wing or post?

Nalls & King are walkons, right?
16 players listed on the roster, with 13 scholarships, so who is the other walk on or paying their own way this year?
10-24-2019 09:41 AM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(10-24-2019 09:27 AM)goldenflash99 Wrote:  In 20+ years following the program I can't recall us having many home games against major conference teams. Of course recently there was Oregon State, and years ago we hosted WVU in the NIT but I believe that was because there was a scheduling conflict at their arena. I miss the Bracket Buster era when we'd often get home games against a solid teams like Creighton, Southern Illinois, Hawaii etc.

Miss Bracket Buster also. What I’m saying is playing Teams like Valpo, Loyola, Wi Green Bay or Milwaukee or Missouri St is WAY better than Hiram considered very low DIII vs John Carroll or Mt Union who are higher DIII. Heck play Ashland a top DII school or Indiana U of PA or Slippery Rock. Hiram local but no threat. And that’s the problem , they would never recover from a loss to Ashland or JCU .

Agree Power 5 not coming to MAC center, but neither are other DI schools with any credentials.
10-24-2019 11:00 AM
Advertisement

Muskrat Offline
1st String

GoFlashes8, Good question Nalls was referred to as a "preferred walk-on". King is a walk-on. I don't recall anyone else being referred to as a walk-on. So, somebody else in not on scholarship, at least not an NCAA grant-in-aid scholarship.
10-24-2019 12:37 PM
GoFlashes8 Offline
Bench Warmer

Updates on KSU Men bball and KSU Women bball from Allen Moff - https://www.record-courier.com/sports/20...ball-teams
10-26-2019 06:30 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
What is going on with these injuries?
10-26-2019 06:41 PM
Albert Flasher Offline
2nd String

The situation with Danny Pippen is concerning. After going through two knee surgeries, I find it difficult to believe that he will be able to stand-up to the rigor & stress of a full season. I hope he takes the necessary time to allow his surgeries to heal & not rush it, even if it means missing more time.

#GoFlashes
10-26-2019 08:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.