Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does a MAC divisional winner get an automatic Bowl bid?
Bookmark and Share
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Does a MAC divisional winner get an automatic Bowl bid?
This was in a discussion on Miami Hawktalk. In 2007 Miami finished 6-6 but won the MACEast. We lost to CMU in the MACC and finished 6-7 and stayed home. Did the MAC change that rule?

It is certainly possible this year that the MAC East champ could be 6-6 and lose to the MAC West champ and finish 6-7.

I am not really asking for anyone's opinion on what should happen, just what is the current MAC rule.
10-17-2019 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
RE: Does a MAC divisional winner get an automatic Bowl bid?
good question i do not have an answer
10-17-2019 12:10 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-17-2019 11:55 AM)DICK Wrote:  This was in a discussion on Miami Hawktalk. In 2007 Miami finished 6-6 but won the MACEast. We lost to CMU in the MACC and finished 6-7 and stayed home. Did the MAC change that rule?

It is certainly possible this year that the MAC East champ could be 6-6 and lose to the MAC West champ and finish 6-7.

I am not really asking for anyone's opinion on what should happen, just what is the current MAC rule.

Unless the rule has changed the answer is 'Yes".

In the olden days when the MAC had few bowl bids, a team, as indicated, could win their division, and stay home.

The MAC then opted to give an automatic bid to both MACC participants.
10-17-2019 12:27 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
If the MAC East Champ does not go bowling, then no teams from the East should go ahead of them...
BG Went bowling in 2014 after going 0-4 in crossover games. The Champ will go regardless if there is a rule.
10-17-2019 01:01 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
I don't think they automatically go. But there is a priority to take a 6-7 team over a 5-7 team. Or a 6-6 team with a win over FCS that did not meet scholarship requirements.
10-17-2019 02:30 PM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(10-17-2019 11:55 AM)DICK Wrote:  This was in a discussion on Miami Hawktalk. In 2007 Miami finished 6-6 but won the MACEast. We lost to CMU in the MACC and finished 6-7 and stayed home. Did the MAC change that rule?

This may not have been a MAC rule. I wonder if it was an NCAA rule. Normally, .500 is the minimum to go bowling unless every other .500 and better team has gotten an invitation and openings are still available, a scenario that I don't think had yet happened in 2007.

I'm mildly surprised that the NCAA did not make an exception here. I remember that, in 1992, Nevada won the Big West with a 7-5 record, but without a sufficient number of wins against FBS schools. Given the Big West championship, the NCAA made an exception and allowed the Wolf Pack to play in the first Las Vegas Bowl (won by Bowling Green).

If this happened again, I wonder if the NCAA would consider an exception. In this watered down bowl era, a division championship seems to mean something.

Are you certain Miami actually wanted a bowl invitation?
10-17-2019 02:32 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-17-2019 02:32 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  

This may not have been a MAC rule. I wonder if it was an NCAA rule. Normally, .500 is the minimum to go bowling unless every other .500 and better team has gotten an invitation and openings are still available, a scenario that I don't think had yet happened in 2007.

I'm mildly surprised that the NCAA did not make an exception here. I remember that, in 1992, Nevada won the Big West with a 7-5 record, but without a sufficient number of wins against FBS schools. Given the Big West championship, the NCAA made an exception and allowed the Wolf Pack to play in the first Las Vegas Bowl (won by Bowling Green).

If this happened again, I wonder if the NCAA would consider an exception. In this watered down bowl era, a division championship seems to mean something.

Are you certain Miami actually wanted a bowl invitation?

Yes, we would have gone.
10-17-2019 03:37 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Just a guess, but I would think the East Champion goes. There's enough MAC Bowls.

The question should actually be, 'would a 6-7 East Champion get the nod if everyone in the West hits 7 wins'.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019 04:15 PM by Bronco'14.)
10-17-2019 04:15 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-17-2019 12:27 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

I am not really asking for anyone's opinion on what should happen, just what is the curnt MAC rule.

Unless the rule has changed the answer is 'Yes".

In the olden days when the MAC had few bowl bids, a team, as indicated, could win their division, and stay home.

The MAC then opted to give an automatic bid to both MACC participants.

This is kind of what I think. I seem to remember that at one time, maybe around 10 or so years ago, there was a rule that division champs were guaranteed one of the MAC bowls. Wether that is still in effect, or NCAA rules have replaced it , I do not know
10-17-2019 07:33 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I believe the division champs were guaranteed a bowl game after the 2005 MAC Championship game with NIU vs. Akron. NIU, the West division winner, did not get a bowl game and Toledo did despite not winning the West division.
10-17-2019 10:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Does a MAC divisional winner get an automatic Bowl bid?

YES. Way back in the day NO -- but now, YES. The only exception I could see would be being under .500 by losing the MACC game, unlike P5 teams which lobby and they'll always get in (which I can easily see how we won't). But yes, if you win your division -- you're in. At 7-6, you'll supercede an 8-4 non-MACC player.
10-18-2019 02:57 AM
BullBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo
If a team is 6-7 they are not going bowling.. The MAC is garbage in football this year...
10-18-2019 02:01 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(10-18-2019 02:01 PM)BullBoy Wrote:  If a team is 6-7 they are not going bowling.. The MAC is garbage in football this year...

If Ohio wins the East at 6-6 then loses to BSU in the title game.

Ohio goes over Miami also at 6-6.
Toledo, BSU, WMU, EMU all eligible in the West ..

That's 5 bowl teams and the 6-7 team would go because they won the East over another East team at 6-6.
10-18-2019 04:59 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:If a team is 6-7 they are not going bowling.. The MAC is garbage in football this year...

The more garbage the G5 conference is, the more liklihood a 6-7 MACC loser would get in. They'd be competing with a slew of 6-6 MAC teams to get into a bowl.
10-19-2019 02:54 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
The NCAA does now (after it happened to UCLA) give preference to a 6-7 team who lost their CCG if there are not enough eligible teams.
10-20-2019 10:01 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
If I remember right miami turned down the chance in 2007
10-22-2019 02:14 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Collectively, we tend to get thumped in bowl season during "good" years. I'm afraid to see what will happen to our bowl reps this season. 04-bolt
10-22-2019 08:28 AM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-22-2019 02:14 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  If I remember right miami turned down the chance in 2007

No.
10-22-2019 10:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.