Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Defining the App State/Georgia Southern rivalry
Bookmark and Share
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Defining the App State/Georgia Southern rivalry
Was watching the Battle for the Belt tonight, and it really got me thinking about the App/Southern rivalry.

The online resources call it "Deeper than Hate," but I'm not sure its ever officially been adopted (and I'm not sure many people like it). We also don't play for any kind of trophy.

I just feel like this is unacceptable for teams that dislike each other as much as we do. Our rivalry is deep, and needs to be seen as such.
10-16-2019 10:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
RE: Defining the App State/Georgia Southern rivalry
Think it be cool if you would try to give every rivalry a name. I’ll start

App State vs. Georgia Southern ( Billy’s vs Necks ), Country Cup

Troy vs. USA ( Battle for the Belt )

GS vs GSU ( Battle for the Big Peach)

UL vs. ULM ( Battle for the Bayou )

UL vs. Ark St. ( North vs South ), 2nd place trophy- because seems like the team in the east will always have the better record, and will always host lol.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019 06:15 AM by Bigtom12.)
10-17-2019 06:14 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
When something comes so natural.. I'm not sure you need to define it. It just exists... and everyone knows it. It's evident in the message boards, social media, crowd attendance and crowd noise.

I've seen too many examples of forced or manufactured rivalries that come up with names/gimmicks/trophies in order to jump start a rivalry.

Also FYI... our thread will not open until each team's prior week game clock hits 0:00.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019 06:25 AM by TheEagleWay.)
10-17-2019 06:19 AM
DeanoAPP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian
When we played WCU year after year we had "The battle for the old mountain jug" which was an old whisky jug that at some point had real whisky in it, I know cause I actually smelled it one time. The only problem was that it didn't become much of a rivaly due to us winning the last 10 years in a row, it became a snore fest.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  jug.jpg (Size: 20.43 KB / Downloads: 18)
10-17-2019 06:43 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(10-17-2019 06:19 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  When something comes so natural.. I'm not sure you need to define it. It just exists... and everyone knows it. It's evident in the message boards, social media, crowd attendance and crowd noise.

I've seen too many examples of forced or manufactured rivalries that come up with names/gimmicks/trophies in order to jump start a rivalry.

Also FYI... our thread will not open until each team's prior week game clock hits 0:00.

And do cheesy things like take women’s sports, GPA, and community service into account for an ugly plastic trophy 07-coffee3
10-17-2019 07:28 AM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2019 06:19 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  When something comes so natural.. I'm not sure you need to define it. It just exists... and everyone knows it. It's evident in the message boards, social media, crowd attendance and crowd noise.

I see where you're coming from, but at the same time, everyone knows this rivalry isn't forced. Why not put some hardware on the line as well to make it even sweeter?
10-17-2019 08:13 AM
Advertisement

FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2019 06:43 AM)DeanoAPP Wrote:  When we played WCU year after year we had "The battle for the old mountain jug" which was an old whisky jug that at some point had real whisky in it, I know cause I actually smelled it one time. The only problem was that it didn't become much of a rivaly due to us winning the last 10 years in a row, it became a snore fest.

The old mountain jug should have never been a rivalry, cause I think WCU won maybe 9? times over the 70ish year history of the game. That one was forced
10-17-2019 08:14 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

(10-17-2019 08:13 AM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  

I see where you're coming from, but at the same time, everyone knows this rivalry isn't forced. Why not put some hardware on the line as well to make it even sweeter?

Ehhh... you just end up following what the manufactured rivalries are doing. It's not like there is some shared relic that can be traded between both schools, which would make sense in using.

You end up with a trophy that looks like it should be given out to winners of American Gladiators.
10-17-2019 08:19 AM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2019 08:19 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  
(10-17-2019 08:13 AM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  

Ehhh... you just end up following what the manufactured rivalries are doing. It's not like there is some shared relic that can be traded between both schools, which would make sense in using.

You end up with a trophy that looks like it should be given out to winners of American Gladiators.

*Thinks about shared relics*

AH

The "Goal Post Threw Bus Window" Trophy.

Or maybe...

The "Pile of Stomped Pizzas" Trophy?

(All in good fun, but I see where you're coming from with the manufactured rivalry stuff. We've got the real thing, and I wouldn't want that to change)
10-17-2019 08:26 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

Maybe someone can clear this up for me: When did Georgia Southern become App State's #1 rival?

When I was at App, of course Western was still regarded as a big rival, even though App dominated the rivalry since the mid-'80s. Furman, at that time, seemed every bit as much of an App State rival as Southern.

Was the elevation of Ga. Southern as App's far-and-away number 1 rival as recent as the move to the Sun Belt, or does it go back further?
10-17-2019 08:27 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(10-17-2019 08:27 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Maybe someone can clear this up for me: When did Georgia Southern become App State's #1 rival?

When I was at App, of course Western was still regarded as a big rival, even though App dominated the rivalry since the mid-'80s. Furman, at that time, seemed every bit as much of an App State rival as Southern.

Was the elevation of Ga. Southern as App's far-and-away number 1 rival as recent as the move to the Sun Belt, or does it go back further?

Late 90s into the early 2000s. The rivalry got ramped up when GaSo or App were top 5 ranked teams that kept losing to the other school. It built up very naturally out of competition and heart breaking losses.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019 08:30 AM by Yosef Himself.)
10-17-2019 08:29 AM
Advertisement

TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

Academic Logo disk from 2014... in fact I still have one in my office.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019 08:31 AM by TheEagleWay.)
10-17-2019 08:30 AM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2019 08:29 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(10-17-2019 08:27 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Maybe someone can clear this up for me: When did Georgia Southern become App State's #1 rival?

Late 90s into the early 2000s. The rivalry got ramped up when GaSo or App were top 5 ranked teams that kept losing to the other school. It built up very naturally out of competition and heart breaking losses.

We would win the game when they were really good (see 87, The Ice Bowl), they would win the game when we were really good (see 07)
10-17-2019 08:37 AM
ChiefGSU275 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS EAGLES!
This used to be the trophy we would compete for every year

[Image: 6a2a4703382ffc8f776fb35a960b4cdf.jpg]

[Image: pVPuLOI.jpg]
10-17-2019 08:38 AM
debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(10-17-2019 06:14 AM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  Think it be cool if you would try to give every rivalry a name. I’ll start

App State vs. Georgia Southern ( Billy’s vs Necks ), Country Cup

Troy vs. USA ( Battle for the Belt )

GS vs GSU ( Battle for the Big Peach)

UL vs. ULM ( Battle for the Bayou )

UL vs. Ark St. ( North vs South ), 2nd place trophy- because seems like the team in the east will always have the better record, and will always host lol.

Our rivalry is already called Battle on the Bayou: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_on_the_Bayou
10-17-2019 08:42 AM
ChiefGSU275 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS EAGLES!
When I started at GS in 1999 (yikes), Furman was considered the top rival, and App was the "other" rival, and one of the three or some combination therein was the SoCon champ every year. However, Furman's program sort of declined once Bobby Johnson left, although Lamb did have some good years, and when that happened App stepped up and began winning titles, which made those games with GS much more exciting. It seems almost every year for about a decade at least one of the teams were ranked top 5 during the matchups. I think App was always more in line with what GS was, and both schools felt they didnt really belong in the SoCon with all the small private schools. Once the decision to move to FBS happened with both schools, that just forever linked our rivalry.
10-17-2019 08:42 AM
Advertisement

FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2019 08:42 AM)ChiefGSU275 Wrote:  When I started at GS in 1999 (yikes), Furman was considered the top rival, and App was the "other" rival, and one of the three or some combination therein was the SoCon champ every year. However, Furman's program sort of declined once Bobby Johnson left, although Lamb did have some good years, and when that happened App stepped up and began winning titles, which made those games with GS much more exciting. It seems almost every year for about a decade at least one of the teams were ranked top 5 during the matchups. I think App was always more in line with what GS was, and both schools felt they didnt really belong in the SoCon with all the small private schools. Once the decision to move to FBS happened with both schools, that just forever linked our rivalry.

*WCU cries in a corner*

But for real, if they got their **** together, WCU could have a good FBS program
10-17-2019 08:44 AM
debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(10-17-2019 08:44 AM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  
(10-17-2019 08:42 AM)ChiefGSU275 Wrote:  When I started at GS in 1999 (yikes), Furman was considered the top rival, and App was the "other" rival, and one of the three or some combination therein was the SoCon champ every year. However, Furman's program sort of declined once Bobby Johnson left, although Lamb did have some good years, and when that happened App stepped up and began winning titles, which made those games with GS much more exciting. It seems almost every year for about a decade at least one of the teams were ranked top 5 during the matchups. I think App was always more in line with what GS was, and both schools felt they didnt really belong in the SoCon with all the small private schools. Once the decision to move to FBS happened with both schools, that just forever linked our rivalry.

*WCU cries in a corner*

But for real, if they got their **** together, WCU could have a good FBS program

Please don’t make this another realignment/move-up thread 04-chairshot
10-17-2019 08:47 AM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2019 08:47 AM)debragga Wrote:  
(10-17-2019 08:44 AM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  

*WCU cries in a corner*

Please don’t make this another realignment/move-up thread 04-chairshot

Naah, was just a comment regarding the SOCON being filled with private schools.
10-17-2019 08:49 AM
SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

This is a pretty good description of the rivalry with GS. When I was at App in the early/mid 70's it was ECU, WCU and later on Marshall, then GS. There have been some truly legendary games and huge upsets in the GS vs App series and I hope it continues for a long time. Last year was a prime example of it.05-mafia
10-17-2019 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.