Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SIAC To Sponsor D1 Men's Volleyball Starting 2021
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
SIAC To Sponsor D1 Men's Volleyball Starting 2021
SIAC D1 Men's Volleyball

Since D2 do not sponsor championship for men's volleyball, they will be grandfather into D1.

Benedict
Central State Ohio
Fort Valley State
Kentucky State
Morehouse
Paine
All 6 will start in 2021 as their first season.

Lander is adding the sport, but it would be TBD when they will start.

NCAA also added women's wrestling and Acrobatics and Tumbling as emerging women sports that could become a championship sports in a few years. All three levels could sponsor the women's wrestling. More and more schoold are adding it as fast.
10-16-2019 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: SIAC To Sponsor D1 Men's Volleyball Starting 2021
I think App State would be quick to add the women's wrestling if they could find a conference
10-16-2019 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
Very interesting addition for the SIAC. Not a whole lot of men's HS volleyball teams in the southern states. That being said, lots of fun to watch high quality volleyball.
10-16-2019 12:06 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(10-16-2019 12:06 PM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  Very interesting addition for the SIAC. Not a whole lot of men's HS volleyball teams in the southern states. That being said, lots of fun to watch high quality volleyball.

There are five Conferences that compete currently in Men's Volleyball at the D1 Level:

Big West - all Big West schools
Carolinas - all DII schools from the Carolinas DII conference
EIVA - mostly DI schools from a variety of conferences, 1 DII School
MIVA - mix of DI and DII schools
MPSF - mostly DI schools from western conferences, 1 DII school

Plus a number of mostly DII independents

There are a lot of the Men's teams in the southern Atlantic states

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NC...ll_schools
10-16-2019 12:26 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(10-16-2019 11:36 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  SIAC D1 Men's Volleyball

Since D2 do not sponsor championship for men's volleyball, they will be grandfather into D1.

Benedict
Central State Ohio
Fort Valley State
Kentucky State
Morehouse
Paine
All 6 will start in 2021 as their first season.

Lander is adding the sport, but it would be TBD when they will start.

NCAA also added women's wrestling and Acrobatics and Tumbling as emerging women sports that could become a championship sports in a few years. All three levels could sponsor the women's wrestling. More and more schoold are adding it as fast.

They're not "grandfathered in", NCAA volleyball doesn't have enough teams for D1 and D2 tournaments so they're combined. Until a few years ago, the D3 schools were included, but now they have their own tournament.
10-16-2019 01:06 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(10-16-2019 12:06 PM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  Very interesting addition for the SIAC. Not a whole lot of men's HS volleyball teams in the southern states. That being said, lots of fun to watch high quality volleyball.

I looked at the rosters of SC teams from the link dbackjon posted and out of the four programs listed there were only three players from South Carolina combined. Of course Coker College was listed as having a team but it wasn't on their athletics website.

There's only 19 male high school volleyball programs in the entire state of SC, with one of those being an athletics cooperative for home-schoolers. There's 220 members of the SC High School League and 80 members of the SC Independent School Association. 19 out of 300 doesn't offer a deep recruiting pool locally.
10-17-2019 11:49 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
(10-17-2019 11:49 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  I looked at the rosters of SC teams from the link dbackjon posted and out of the four programs listed there were only three players from South Carolina combined. Of course Coker College was listed as having a team but it wasn't on their athletics website.

There's only 19 male high school volleyball programs in the entire state of SC, with one of those being an athletics cooperative for home-schoolers. There's 220 members of the SC High School League and 80 members of the SC Independent School Association. 19 out of 300 doesn't offer a deep recruiting pool locally.

This was more my point. Not a lot of HS men's volleyball teams in southern states.
10-17-2019 01:00 PM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(10-17-2019 11:49 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

I looked at the rosters of SC teams from the link dbackjon posted and out of the four programs listed there were only three players from South Carolina combined. Of course Coker College was listed as having a team but it wasn't on their athletics website.

Coker University ended men's volleyball after the 2019 season. It looks like they had difficulties keeping a full roster. https://www.offtheblockblog.com/2019/05/...l-program/

Lander was scheduled to begin in the 2020 season but has delayed the start to a time that "will not be in the near future." https://www.offtheblockblog.com/2019/06/...m-in-2020/

In the announcements from SIAC schools starting men's volleyball they were focusing on expanding the student recruitment area to international locations where the sport is more popular.
10-17-2019 01:19 PM
Kaplony Offline

(10-17-2019 01:19 PM)AZcats Wrote:  

Coker University ended men's volleyball after the 2019 season. It looks like they had difficulties keeping a full roster. https://www.offtheblockblog.com/2019/05/...l-program/

Lander was scheduled to begin in the 2020 season but has delayed the start to a time that "will not be in the near future." https://www.offtheblockblog.com/2019/06/...m-in-2020/

In the announcements from SIAC schools starting men's volleyball they were focusing on expanding the student recruitment area to international locations where the sport is more popular.

Makes sense. There's an inordinate amount of Puerto Ricans on the men's volleyball rosters at Erskine, Limestone, and North Greenville.
10-17-2019 02:40 PM
Advertisement

sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Those schools need all the help they can get recruiting students. There is a player from South Carolina, Kaleb Jenness, on Ball State’s men’s volleyball team, from Wando in Mt. Pleasant, one of the volleyball hotbeds in the state.

He was the first men’s volleyball player to play D1 from South Carolina.
10-17-2019 02:53 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(10-17-2019 02:40 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Makes sense. There's an inordinate amount of Puerto Ricans on the men's volleyball rosters at Erskine, Limestone, and North Greenville.

Along with three Puerto Rican Universities that compete in the sport
10-17-2019 02:53 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass

I know they're not a state and all...but Puerto Rico isn't international.
10-17-2019 03:31 PM
Kaplony Offline

(10-17-2019 03:31 PM)e-parade Wrote:  

Athletically they compete as a separate organization from Team USA in international sports like the World Baseball Classic, Pan American Games, CONCACAF, etc.
10-17-2019 10:15 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
This was first announced on Sep 3 with five of the schools making their formal press conferences during that week. Fort Valley State finally had their press conference today (Oct 17).

From the official SIAC release:
Quote:"We are extremely pleased to receive this generous investment from the First Point Volleyball Foundation and USA Volleyball," said SIAC Commissioner Gregory Moore. "I am convinced that the impact of this gift will not only be felt on the campuses of those participating SIAC member colleges and universities, but this gift could also serve as a catalyst for increasing African American participation in men's volleyball throughout the United States. Moreover, as the one of the most popular sports internationally - particularly in Sub Saharan Africa, the Caribbean and Latin America, HBCU sponsorship of men's volleyball will also create international recruitment opportunities for SIAC member institutions. Finally, much credit must be accorded to the Presidents and Athletic Directors of all of the participating SIAC member institutions for collectively working together to embrace this historic opportunity."

First Point Volleyball Foundation and USA Volleyball have both made diversity a strategic priority initiative and Jamie Davis, USA Volleyball's CEO,believes the impact of HBCUs offering Men's Volleyball will be profound. "USA Volleyball is proud to be supporting this SIAC initiative to bring men's varsity volleyball programs to six HBCU schools. As the National Governing Body for volleyball, we strive to increase the diversity and inclusion in our sport. I applaud the leadership and vision being shown by Commissioner Moore and all six of the schools' presidents and athletic directors which will surely increase the participation of African American men playing volleyball and lead to new athletic and academic opportunities for young boys. This program will serve as a new Path to the Podium for these men to potentially join our national teams and represent Team USA across the globe,"Davis said.

John Speraw said, "We talk at USA Volleyball about the Path to the Podium. It is not outlandish to think that a young man playing in the SIAC conference in 2021 could be an Olympian in 2028 or 2032. Our work at First Point Volleyball Foundation is providing more opportunities for young people and it is also building our pipeline for more success at the international level for Team USA for decades to come."
10-17-2019 10:39 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

(10-17-2019 10:15 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(10-17-2019 11:49 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  I looked at the rosters of SC teams from the link dbackjon posted and out of the four programs listed there were only three players from South Carolina combined. Of course Coker College was listed as having a team but it wasn't on their athletics website.

Athletically they compete as a separate organization from Team USA in international sports like the World Baseball Classic, Pan American Games, CONCACAF, etc.

Sure, there are a few places around the world where that happens. But the point still stands. They're all citizens of this country and could participate as Team USA in the Olympics. They could move to the mainland and instantly be afforded the right to vote. They can run for president - something an international person could never do.
10-18-2019 09:25 AM
Kaplony Offline

(10-18-2019 09:25 AM)e-parade Wrote:  
(10-17-2019 10:15 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(10-17-2019 01:19 PM)AZcats Wrote:  Coker University ended men's volleyball after the 2019 season. It looks like they had difficulties keeping a full roster. https://www.offtheblockblog.com/2019/05/...l-program/

Sure, there are a few places around the world where that happens. But the point still stands. They're all citizens of this country and could participate as Team USA in the Olympics. They could move to the mainland and instantly be afforded the right to vote. They can run for president - something an international person could never do.

OK dude....you win!

[Image: u7sEQ9G.jpg]
10-18-2019 10:13 AM
e-parade Offline
All American

Well I mean it would be an important distinction in that "recruiting other countries" would mean other parts of the world and not to expect a bunch of people from Puerto Rico to be the main goal.
10-18-2019 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.