Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB Season Ticket Renewal Numbers
Bookmark and Share
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Usually, when a school's season ticket numbers go up, there is an announcement from the school to mark the "achievement", and to generate excitement.

No such announcement has been forthcoming from W&M. Presumably, season tickets for 2019-2020, the most eagerly anticipated regular season for MBB, did not go up.

That means one of two things.

First, the season ticket number stayed the same. No such announcement. I doubt that the number stayed the same.

So we're left with the likely scenario: there's been a drop-off. If the drop-off is not announced publicly by the school, further erosion of broad-based support will occur. One has to be honest with the ticket-buying public.

Of course, announcing football tickets sold, rather than fannies in the seats, does not inspire confidence in the numbers, either.

After all, we are one Tribe.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019 02:49 PM by nj alum.)
10-15-2019 02:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: MBB Season Ticket Renewal Numbers
I'm not gonna deny that tickets are likely down, though I have no evidence, but I feel like the rest of this post is kinda dogging on the current AD a little unfairly.

Have you ever seen a school announce that they've sold fewer tickets than last year? Actually, I don't recall seeing any public posts from WM about basketball season ticket sales numbers ever, up or down.

Also, just about every school (including us, in the pre Huge days) count tickets sold, not butts in seats. Look at schools with sellout streaks, or who announce 100k+ in attendance, and you'l still see empty seats in the bleachers. I recall hearing that we used to also always count the student section as full.
10-15-2019 06:51 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

Actually, not trying to dog the AD.

First, football attendance has been pitiful. Something is going on.

Second, a little transparency is in order. All of us are behind Dane, but if you’re going to ask us to donate, you have to tell us the extent of the Shaver “hit”. Get out in front of it.

Do it before everyone sees a semi-empty Hall / Kaplan in November.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019 07:26 PM by nj alum.)
10-15-2019 07:24 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

(10-15-2019 07:24 PM)nj alum Wrote:  Actually, not trying to dog the AD.

Second, a little transparency is in order. All of us are behind Dane, but if you’re going to ask us to donate, you have to tell us the extent of the Shaver “hit”. Get out in front of it.

Football attendance is basically the same as last year. This Saturday’s game will be nearly full. The last two games will depend on how the team is doing. We get it. Many on here want to hang anything they can on the AD having pissed everybody off. There’s no reason to reach and just throw stuff around like spaghetti noodles.
10-15-2019 08:40 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

(10-15-2019 08:40 PM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  

Football attendance is basically the same as last year. This Saturday’s game will be nearly full. The last two games will depend on how the team is doing. We get it. Many on here want to hang anything they can on the AD having pissed everybody off. There’s no reason to reach and just throw stuff around like spaghetti noodles.

You don’t get it.

Have you seen the Gold Lot this year?

This is not normal. Ignore it if you want, but something isn’t right .... and hoops hasn’t even started.
10-15-2019 09:48 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

(10-15-2019 09:48 PM)nj alum Wrote:  

You don’t get it.

This is not normal. Ignore it if you want, but something isn’t right .... and hoops hasn’t even started.

I haven't been to a game this year because I just graduated and it's hard to make it back for a weekend, but I thought the Laycock situation was handled well. I have no doubts he was pushed to retire by the AD, but based on the results of the past few seasons I don't think that was a bad thing. He was given a final season/farewell tour, rather than being pushed to retire immediately.
10-15-2019 09:58 PM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
The football attendance numbers are sold tickets, and students who scanned in, not butts in seats. The home side is filled with empty seats, athletes, and parents. The 50 yard line section is half full. Gonna be a lot of purple in the stands on Saturday.
10-16-2019 06:03 AM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

You don’t get it.

I actually do get it. I’ve never said there aren’t things to blame Huge for. I’m simply saying people are overreaching with the blame. Football attendance has seen little to no change because of her. Heck, we couldn’t even get over 10,000 at Jimmye’s last game. And truthfully, if people are not supporting the players and coaches because they don’t like the AD then it is on the fan. Not on her. There are plenty of ways to voice dislike for how an administrator performs their duties. Wallets are often a powerful way. But sacrificing 600 student-athlete experiences (in this case 100 football players) is a self centered way to do it.
10-16-2019 06:52 AM
wmmii Online
1st String

(10-16-2019 06:52 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  

You don’t get it.

I actually do get it. I’ve never said there aren’t things to blame Huge for. I’m simply saying people are overreaching with the blame. Football attendance has seen little to no change because of her. Heck, we couldn’t even get over 10,000 at Jimmye’s last game. And truthfully, if people are not supporting the players and coaches because they don’t like the AD then it is on the fan. Not on her. There are plenty of ways to voice dislike for how an administrator performs their duties. Wallets are often a powerful way. But sacrificing 600 student-athlete experiences (in this case 100 football players) is a self centered way to do it.

+1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
10-16-2019 07:35 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

(10-16-2019 06:52 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  I actually do get it. I’ve never said there aren’t things to blame Huge for. I’m simply saying people are overreaching with the blame. Football attendance has seen little to no change because of her. Heck, we couldn’t even get over 10,000 at Jimmye’s last game. And truthfully, if people are not supporting the players and coaches because they don’t like the AD then it is on the fan. Not on her. There are plenty of ways to voice dislike for how an administrator performs their duties. Wallets are often a powerful way. But sacrificing 600 student-athlete experiences (in this case 100 football players) is a self centered way to do it.

Excuse me?

Under this logic, the House of Representatives is not supporting the President on the finances of the building of the Wall on the Southern Border, and you want to tell them it's on them, "they don't like him", and they're self-centered, and not on what they perceive the President is, or is not, doing? Be my guest; let us know how you make out! :-)

The Gold Lot is 25-33% empty. You can buy a parking pass now for the rest of the season. Is this a portend of what is about to happen at Kaplan/ the Hall in the upcoming season?

So, what is going on? Anti-AD sentiment? Costs too high? Football as a spectator sport is dying? Tribe football as a product? Unhappiness that JL was forced out? Not buying in to the new Coach?

As for sacrificing the student-athlete experiences, State funding is at 11%. Tuition (ie scholarship costs) is through the roof. Keeping the fan base fat (am I allowed to write that anymore?) and happy is Priority #1.

The fan base is not happy. Why not? Can it be fixed? IS THERE AN ONGOING ATTEMPT TO FIX IT?

Finally, remember ... it's a donation, not a right of the College to pick my pocket by tugging at my loyalty to the school.
10-16-2019 08:03 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Strategic plan:
• Increase total spectator attendance across all sports by 5% each year.
10-16-2019 08:50 AM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

Not trying to get into the nuts and bolts of why attendance and ticket sales are down this season. Valid points are made both ways. There is likely truth to some faithful alums not coming out this year in protest or anger.

It is also my experience that attendance is driven by game day product and wins and losses. I don't think the game day experience beyond what is on the court/field has ever been truly addressed. If you want your games to be fully attended, create an entertaining, place-to-be atmosphere. A game day fan experience plan is almost as important as the game plan put on the playing field. Secondly, nothing beats putting butts in seats as being a winner. In my association with W&M, winning teams never had to he concerned with attendance. I think that is still the case. Fans may protest away this season and next. If basketball/football are entertaining and winning, IMO, disgruntled fans will come back. That, or their void will be filled with new fans excited to get on board.
10-16-2019 10:18 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(10-16-2019 06:52 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  .... Football attendance has seen little to no change because of her.

And that's a bad thing. If you are going to replace a football icon after 39 years then you need to be sure that the replacement grabs the fan's interest immediately and keeps it throughout the season. I'm a season ticket holder and so London still has my interest -- but one thing is definitely true and it is:

(10-16-2019 10:18 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  .... nothing beats putting butts in seats as being a winner.
10-16-2019 10:37 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
(10-16-2019 07:35 AM)wmmii Wrote:  
(10-16-2019 06:52 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  

You don’t get it.

+1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are completely missing the point as is tribe3544.

To get a parking pass in the gold lot, and to sit at the 50 yard line, you have to be a certain place on the list. The position on the list is based on a combination of years of giving and amount given. So, your longest term givers who give the most are opting out. Further, nobody lower on the list is buying passes and season tickets in the expensive section. I'm sure some of it is a reality of the seat license, but it is also due to Laycock being let go, and Shaver being let go. Why don't we have two end zones any more? Beer garden and bouncy house, or we can't sell tickets for general admission fans? There is a big hole to dig out of.

Wake up.
10-16-2019 11:31 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(10-16-2019 11:31 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  You are completely missing the point as is tribe3544.

To get a parking pass in the gold lot, and to sit at the 50 yard line, you have to be a certain place on the list. The position on the list is based on a combination of years of giving and amount given. So, your longest term givers who give the most are opting out. Further, nobody lower on the list is buying passes and season tickets in the expensive section. I'm sure some of it is a reality of the seat license, but it is also due to Laycock being let go, and Shaver being let go. Why don't we have two end zones any more? Beer garden and bouncy house, or we can't sell tickets for general admission fans? There is a big hole to dig out of.

Wake up.

I definitely wouldn't have understood this if it wasn't spelled out here so thank you 32 for that.

I have no inside knowledge but have to assume the PSLs had a bigger impact than Jimmye leaving. But the seat licenses were Huge's baby too. Just anecdotally, my wife and I bought season tickets every year before that went into effect (obviously at a much lower price point than the Gold Lot level) but when we were told that it would be thousands of dollars just for seats and a spot we cancelled the tickets. So the knock on effects go all the way through the price levels.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
10-16-2019 01:59 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(10-16-2019 01:59 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(10-16-2019 11:31 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  You are completely missing the point as is tribe3544.

Wake up.

I definitely wouldn't have understood this if it wasn't spelled out here so thank you 32 for that.

I have no inside knowledge but have to assume the PSLs had a bigger impact than Jimmye leaving. But the seat licenses were Huge's baby too. Just anecdotally, my wife and I bought season tickets every year before that went into effect (obviously at a much lower price point than the Gold Lot level) but when we were told that it would be thousands of dollars just for seats and a spot we cancelled the tickets. So the knock on effects go all the way through the price levels.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

This is the first year in a long time that I did get season tickets. What is bizarre is that I have been buying tickets this year that are much better seats than I had?? Also, in the section where I have been sitting, though the system showed the seats as sold/not available, basically an entire row empty each game, short of two folks in the row for the 'Nova game. Would expect to see more this weekend, and least
for part of the game.

Expect to see purple everywhere.
10-16-2019 04:42 PM
Advertisement

TribeNomad Offline
1st String

edit above, first year that I did not get season tickets.
10-16-2019 04:47 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

(10-16-2019 08:03 AM)nj alum Wrote:  
(10-16-2019 06:52 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  I actually do get it. I’ve never said there aren’t things to blame Huge for. I’m simply saying people are overreaching with the blame. Football attendance has seen little to no change because of her. Heck, we couldn’t even get over 10,000 at Jimmye’s last game. And truthfully, if people are not supporting the players and coaches because they don’t like the AD then it is on the fan. Not on her. There are plenty of ways to voice dislike for how an administrator performs their duties. Wallets are often a powerful way. But sacrificing 600 student-athlete experiences (in this case 100 football players) is a self centered way to do it.

Excuse me?

Under this logic, the House of Representatives is not supporting the President on the finances of the building of the Wall on the Southern Border, and you want to tell them it's on them, "they don't like him", and they're self-centered, and not on what they perceive the President is, or is not, doing? Be my guest; let us know how you make out! :-)

The Gold Lot is 25-33% empty. You can buy a parking pass now for the rest of the season. Is this a portend of what is about to happen at Kaplan/ the Hall in the upcoming season?

So, what is going on? Anti-AD sentiment? Costs too high? Football as a spectator sport is dying? Tribe football as a product? Unhappiness that JL was forced out? Not buying in to the new Coach?

As for sacrificing the student-athlete experiences, State funding is at 11%. Tuition (ie scholarship costs) is through the roof. Keeping the fan base fat (am I allowed to write that anymore?) and happy is Priority #1.

The fan base is not happy. Why not? Can it be fixed? IS THERE AN ONGOING ATTEMPT TO FIX IT?

Finally, remember ... it's a donation, not a right of the College to pick my pocket by tugging at my loyalty to the school.

Dramatic much? Look, if people choose not to pay for licenses or whatever it takes to get into the gold lot that is certainly their decision. I don’t. But I would go to the games. I would support the kids. I would cheer from an angle and not from the 50 yard line. That’s my point. To not show up because Huge pissed you (collectively) off is a decision that affects more than her standing at the school. Geez.
10-16-2019 04:59 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

(10-16-2019 04:47 PM)TribeNomad Wrote:  edit above, first year that I did not get season tickets.

When I did not renew, I received a number of inquiries, at the end an e-mail from Bobby. I advised I will still continue to go to the games, but am treading water at this time.
10-16-2019 05:03 PM
tribeinexile Online
1st String

I also got a follow-up when I did not renew my football season tickets.

My decision was largely based on my understanding that the seat license did not count as a contribution to Athletics. A not insignificant factor was unhappiness with the MBB coaching decision. (I'm not defending the logic of the latter point, just stating facts.)

I purchased my MBB season tickets. I'm too invested in that to give up on it no matter how much my gut was wrenched last March. I probably would have driven 5 times from Charleston this year to see all the home CAA games. Now I may go 1 or 2 times.

If we descend into Swenson-Boyages territory I may give up on MBB season tickets but I certainly hope not. I enjoy Tribe football especially during lovely fall night games when we win. My commitment to MBB is more intense and I will need to be driven away.
10-16-2019 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.