Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Air Force to the AAC?
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Air Force to the AAC?
Surprised this hasn't been brought up, but would say you guys about adding Air Force to get the AAC back to 12? Coach Calhoun at AFA is apparently not happy with the MWC and the school has mentioned in the past it would be interested in playing in a conference with Navy.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tain-west/

10-14-2019 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
RE: Air Force to the AAC?
They're by far the best candidate for #12 that's been mentioned. I'd be ok with them.

Among the other candidates... the Eastern teams would be the weakest members of the AAC. Boise & BYU & SDSU would be on islands, and each has other question marks (BYU - playin on Sunday, Boise - bad basketball and a tiny airport, SDSU - is really, really far away).

The best solution for the AAC would be to add Boise, BYU, and SDSU as a package for all sports. But that probably isn't happening.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2019 05:01 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
10-14-2019 05:01 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I can't see it happening...

If anything, AFA would probably go football-independent (like Army) and move their other sports into the MVC or the Summit. If AFA moved their sports into the MVC, then the MVC probably also adds Murray State... (The MVC has a very odd obsession with private/public schools...)

10-14-2019 05:04 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

it’s a solid move, maybe Memphis could come to the east division

10-14-2019 05:08 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Please no more half members like WSU/Navy.

We lost an eastern member so add an eastern member or if a western member move Navy to where it belongs.

Potential and preferred eastern schools are Marshall, App State, Toledo, Buffalo, VCU.

10-14-2019 05:45 PM
cpawstoney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.C.
Quote:Perhaps this is just a case of a head coach letting out a little steam but it certainly qualifies as a situation worth monitoring in Colorado Springs.

Air Force turned the AAC down five years ago along with BYU and SDSU[/quote]

10-14-2019 06:55 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(10-14-2019 06:55 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  
Quote:Perhaps this is just a case of a head coach letting out a little steam but it certainly qualifies as a situation worth monitoring in Colorado Springs.

Air Force turned the AAC down five years ago along with BYU and SDSU

And he's complaining that the MW is too tough of a conference for the AFA. If the MW is too tough a schedule, then what are you going to do playing in an arguably tougher (or at least comparable) conference?

That's why I'm guessing that, if there was any move to be made, it would be towards independence. Independence allows Army to schedule a manageable schedule. Navy used to do that as well. Air Force was always an oddity in being a conference member. When Army joined CUSA, they had almost no sustained success (apart from beating UC). Navy isn't doing so well at the moment in Conference life either.

You can make a pretty strong argument that, especially because of the Service Academies special (unique) requirements in how they recruit and their post-graduate service requirements, that conferences aren't a good fit for them...especially in football.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2019 07:20 PM by BearcatJerry.)
10-14-2019 07:19 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Air Force would be better than many teams mentioned previously ad nauseum. Another service academy in the American to go with Navy makes some sense but then they become a UConn geographically for travel of extremes. Too bad you couldn't add them and Colorado St [just two hours apart] and drop Tulsa.

10-14-2019 08:29 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(10-14-2019 07:19 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 06:55 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  

Air Force turned the AAC down five years ago along with BYU and SDSU

And he's complaining that the MW is too tough of a conference for the AFA. If the MW is too tough a schedule, then what are you going to do playing in an arguably tougher (or at least comparable) conference?

That's why I'm guessing that, if there was any move to be made, it would be towards independence. Independence allows Army to schedule a manageable schedule. Navy used to do that as well. Air Force was always an oddity in being a conference member. When Army joined CUSA, they had almost no sustained success (apart from beating UC). Navy isn't doing so well at the moment in Conference life either.

You can make a pretty strong argument that, especially because of the Service Academies special (unique) requirements in how they recruit and their post-graduate service requirements, that conferences aren't a good fit for them...especially in football.

Navy is thriving in the American.

Navy has cracked the polls in only 4 years since 1980. 3 of those years have been since 2015 when Navy joined the American.

Sure, they were bad in 2018 (3-10). But they were much worse in 1991, 1992, 2000, and 2001, when they won 0 or 1 games.

10-14-2019 10:02 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-14-2019 08:29 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Air Force would be better than many teams mentioned previously ad nauseum. Another service academy in the American to go with Navy makes some sense but then they become a UConn geographically for travel of extremes. Too bad you couldn't add them and Colorado St [just two hours apart] and drop Tulsa.

Air Force (football-only) would be an upgrade over UConn if the AAC is forced to add a school. That would take away one of the MWC's best schools and improve our conference SOS. It also improves our chances for adding Army (football-only) in the future as well. I would like to eventually get all the service academies under the AAC banner if possible. All the service academies are good for Cincinnati in terms of TV ratings and attendance.

The only all-sport school worth adding right now is BYU and I don't think that is a realistic option based on their recent scheduling additions.

10-14-2019 10:12 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-14-2019 10:12 PM)UCbball21 Wrote:  
(10-14-2019 08:29 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Air Force would be better than many teams mentioned previously ad nauseum. Another service academy in the American to go with Navy makes some sense but then they become a UConn geographically for travel of extremes. Too bad you couldn't add them and Colorado St [just two hours apart] and drop Tulsa.

Air Force (football-only) would be an upgrade over UConn if the AAC is forced to add a school. That would take away one of the MWC's best schools and improve our conference SOS. It also improves our chances for adding Army (football-only) in the future as well. I would like to eventually get all the service academies under the AAC banner if possible. All the service academies are good for Cincinnati in terms of TV ratings and attendance.

The only all-sport school worth adding right now is BYU and I don't think that is a realistic option based on their recent scheduling additions.
BYU has 12 games scheduled for the next 4 years and 10 already for 2025. So they would be on the hook for a lot of cancellations. A member of another conference would quickly have openings.

10-14-2019 11:21 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

My guess is Air Force is a contingency plan if the waiver isn't granted for us to have a CCG with no divisional alignment. It would suggest to me that BYU is off the table and there is a belief that AFA has a stronger national brand than any other G5 and would complement Navy as a conference mate. As with Navy, I'm thinking this would be a football only arrangement.

While the service academies are clearly G5, they are unique entities in higher education; outstanding academics and nationwide interest that extends well beyond their own students and alumni. Air Force football would excite me more than UCONN football as well as a road trip to Colorado Springs over Hartford.

10-15-2019 07:07 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

NO.

10-15-2019 07:11 AM
coachpipe Offline
1st String

aside from what they do for the country, why would we want to play their **** athletics teams. AAC needs to NOT expand. If anything cut some bottom feeders

10-15-2019 07:13 AM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

I Root For: UC,Bengals,
Definitely no unless they agree to bomb NCAA and ESPN offices at times !

10-15-2019 08:49 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

If this was the conference adding Air Force helps UC.

East: Cincinnati, Temple, ECU, USF, UCF, Memphis
West: Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Navy, Air Force

Annual games against Memphis, UCF, USF and Temple. (and ECU) One Texas school, one small private school, and one academy every season.

10-15-2019 08:57 AM
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2019 08:57 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  If this was the conference adding Air Force helps UC.

East: Cincinnati, Temple, ECU, USF, UCF, Memphis
West: Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Navy, Air Force

Annual games against Memphis, UCF, USF and Temple. (and ECU) One Texas school, one small private school, and one academy every season.

That West division would be a pain in the ass; two triple-options teams and a spread-option team. I'm not saying it's a bad idea but if y'all think Dana Holgorsen doesn't have a lot of hair now...

10-15-2019 09:03 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

As an Air Force vet (never on flight status) I'm inclined to be in favor of it.

10-15-2019 10:04 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

As a former AF ROTC member I oppose it.

10-15-2019 10:09 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

(10-15-2019 10:09 AM)doss2 Wrote:  As a former AF ROTC member I oppose it.

Since you were an officer and I was an enlisted man your order will be carried out.

10-15-2019 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.