10-12-2019 03:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
RE: AAC leaning towards Expansion???
it says we re leaning towards waiver and think it will be passed

but might be forced to expand if we dont get a waiver...title of thread a bit of stretch
10-12-2019 03:07 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(10-12-2019 03:07 PM)pesik Wrote:  it says we re leaning towards waiver and think it will be passed

but might be forced to expand if we dont get a waiver...title of thread a bit of stretch

No question the waiver will get passed but clearly dives into expansion as if going back to 12 is a preference but with the right candidate.
10-12-2019 03:14 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
AAC leaning towards Expansion???
Nothing that hasn’t been said over the last 6 months
10-12-2019 03:18 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
My guess is that you get a 2 year waiver. You are at 11 due to circumstances beyond your control. But the Big boys all had to expand or play a round robin. They aren't giving the AAC any permanent advantage. So eventually you will have to contract by 1 and go to a round robin or add 1 to get to 12. Buffalo would be a good geographic and athletic match. BYU is the home run pick, but I doubt you can convince them. Boise would be a kill shot to the Mountain West, but I doubt it makes financial sense for Boise.
10-12-2019 03:26 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(10-12-2019 03:26 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  My guess is that you get a 2 year waiver. You are at 11 due to circumstances beyond your control. But the Big boys all had to expand or play a round robin. They aren't giving the AAC any permanent advantage. So eventually you will have to contract by 1 and go to a round robin or add 1 to get to 12. Buffalo would be a good geographic and athletic match. BYU is the home run pick, but I doubt you can convince them. Boise would be a kill shot to the Mountain West, but I doubt it makes financial sense for Boise.

They’d make more in the aac.
10-12-2019 03:28 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(10-12-2019 03:26 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  My guess is that you get a 2 year waiver. You are at 11 due to circumstances beyond your control. But the Big boys all had to expand or play a round robin. They aren't giving the AAC any permanent advantage. So eventually you will have to contract by 1 and go to a round robin or add 1 to get to 12. Buffalo would be a good geographic and athletic match. BYU is the home run pick, but I doubt you can convince them. Boise would be a kill shot to the Mountain West, but I doubt it makes financial sense for Boise.

But was it beyond their control? UCONN suggested keeping its football there. And you can't say the AAC doesn't do partial memberships...
10-12-2019 03:30 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(10-12-2019 03:30 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

But was it beyond their control? UCONN suggested keeping its football there. And you can't say the AAC doesn't do partial memberships...

Hahaha... You must not watch football.
10-12-2019 03:40 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(10-12-2019 03:40 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  

Yes, we are all very aware that UCONN Football is the worst in D1 (FCS included), but don't give me some sob story that UCONN's non-football move put you in a bind, and you didn't have the chance to keep your current football format.

#WaiverDenied

#ArescoPlayingTheVictimCard
10-12-2019 03:49 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2019 03:49 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

Yes, we are all very aware that UCONN Football is the worst in D1 (FCS included), but don't give me some sob story that UCONN's non-football move put you in a bind, and you didn't have the chance to keep your current football format.

#WaiverDenied

We had to kick you guys out. We can't let schools move their good programs out and keep their crap programs. Had to do it
10-12-2019 04:33 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(10-12-2019 04:33 PM)Jugnaut Wrote:  

#WaiverDenied

We had to kick you guys out. We can't let schools move their good programs out and keep their crap programs. Had to do it

Exactly...we can't let universities leave their garbage while taking off with their only asset. If that precedent is set, Cincy or Memphis could bolt too. They won't want to destroy their football programs.
10-12-2019 04:57 PM
Advertisement

DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Aresco didn't exactly say "leaning"....but I think his logic is sound especially re the contract bowl game.
10-12-2019 06:15 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple

That is a legit point. In requesting a waiver, Aresco is basically asking the NCAA to overlook (and give their full assent to) the way the AAC has thus far rejected UConn for next season.

The NCAA is being put in a tough position on this. If they grant a waiver to the AAC, they are essentially rubber-stamping and giving full assent to the ejection of UConn. Question: Do they really want to give the green light to all conferences to eject a school for opting out for certain sports? There could be legal complications if UConn should threaten a lawsuit.

If they don't grant the waiver, the AAC itself - and potentially ESPN - could seek legal redress, insofar as waivers have been granted to conferences in the past. Question: Is the AAC's case unique, because the only reason the conference would drop to 11 in FB is that the AAC forced the drop by booting out UConn FB?

-----------

The most Solomonic decision that the NCAA could make would be to allow UConn FB to remain for at least another season or two, giving them time to make the transition to indy status, etc. Ideally, the AAC would add a 12th FB team within the next 2-3 years.

-----------

UConn probably could have helped their situation by making a more gradual transition to the BE, which would have given the AAC more time to find a 12th school for each sport.

So if the AAC does get a hard time for dismissing UConn FB, a counter-argument could be that the difficult situation the parties are dealing with was caused by UConn, not by the AAC.

I'd say both parties made mistakes. UConn was wrong to pull out so quickly, putting the AAC in a bind. The AAC was wrong to boot UConn FB without giving them time to make a transition. Also, the AAC shot itself in the foot by booting UConn so quickly, without having a solid candidate to take UConn's place.
10-12-2019 06:16 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
AAC leaning towards Expansion???
(10-12-2019 06:16 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  

That is a legit point. In requesting a waiver, Aresco is basically asking the NCAA to overlook (and give their full assent to) the way the AAC has thus far rejected UConn for next season.

The NCAA is being put in a tough position on this. If they grant a waiver to the AAC, they are essentially rubber-stamping and giving full assent to the ejection of UConn. Question: Do they really want to give the green light to all conferences to eject a school for opting out for certain sports? There could be legal complications if UConn should threaten a lawsuit.

If they don't grant the waiver, the AAC itself - and potentially ESPN - could seek legal redress, insofar as waivers have been granted to conferences in the past. Question: Is the AAC's case unique, because the only reason the conference would drop to 11 in FB is that the AAC forced the drop by booting out UConn FB?

-----------

The most Solomonic decision that the NCAA could make would be to allow UConn FB to remain for at least another season or two, giving them time to make the transition to indy status, etc. Ideally, the AAC would add a 12th FB team within the next 2-3 years.

-----------

UConn probably could have helped their situation by making a more gradual transition to the BE, which would have given the AAC more time to find a 12th school for each sport.

So if the AAC does get a hard time for dismissing UConn FB, a counter-argument could be that the difficult situation the parties are dealing with was caused by UConn, not by the AAC.

I'd say both parties made mistakes. UConn was wrong to pull out so quickly, putting the AAC in a bind. The AAC was wrong to boot UConn FB without giving them time to make a transition. Also, the AAC shot itself in the foot by booting UConn so quickly, without having a solid candidate to take UConn's place.

Wtf are you talking about?
10-12-2019 06:19 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
I halfway hope that they don’t approve it. I think staying at 11 is short sighted. We need to work down the list... BYU, Army, Boise, Air Force. We may find more takers than spots.

Still think going to 14 is a smart move.
10-12-2019 06:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple

A 2 year waiver would seem to make sense, since it would give the conference enough time to expand up to 12 teams again.

Very unlikely the AAC drops any schools. That would involve a contract violation and would piss too many people off.

Buffalo might make sense to ESPN, because of the huge NY State market, which would maintain a decent presence in the NE U.S.

However, the AAC might be better off to add a FB only team from in or near the AAC footprint and VCU for BB & Olympic sports. A presence in Colorado (AFA or Colo State) would add a lucrative market and expand interest in the AAC in the rocky mountain states.
10-12-2019 06:24 PM
Advertisement

sierrajip Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2019 06:16 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  

-----------

-----------

You really believe this. The waiver will pass and UConn will move on with their BB partners. I wish them well.
10-12-2019 06:30 PM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
BYU should join for football only. Put them in the East. They'd still only play 2 or 3 games in the eastern time zone, which they do already. They could still play their 4 Pac 10 games.
10-12-2019 06:43 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(10-12-2019 04:33 PM)Jugnaut Wrote:  

#WaiverDenied

UConn currently ranked 153 in RPI behind many FCS programs.
10-12-2019 06:47 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
The AAC didn't "boot" UConn. They joined another conference...lol. Just happens they have no home now for football. They were hopeful to put us in a bind where we had to keep their dead weight football.
10-12-2019 06:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.