Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could/would the FL legislature do anything to get UCF and USF in a better conference?
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Could/would the FL legislature do anything to get UCF and USF in a better conference?
Just curious on everyone’s thoughts are. I’m not sure how much leverage they’d even have to help them.
09-20-2019 09:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
No

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
09-20-2019 09:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Could/would the FL legislature do anything to get UCF and USF in a better conference?
03-lmfao
09-20-2019 09:19 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Could/would the FL legislature do anything to get UCF and USF in a better conference?
Even if they wanted to, UF and FSU are 1 vote in a 14 team conference. I dont think you will see many situations anymore like the Gov of VA was able to pull off
09-20-2019 09:25 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(09-20-2019 09:25 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Even if they wanted to, UF and FSU are 1 vote in a 14 team conference. I dont think you will see many situations anymore like the Gov of VA was able to pull off
Even in that situation, there has to be a an invite!

So no...

09-20-2019 09:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
03-lmfao
09-20-2019 09:42 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
ACC could trade Miami Flo with USF and Big 12 can trade Baylor for UCF. Both Baylor and Miami been given their conferences black eyes with the illegal acts done by their players, coaches, boasters, ADs and the school leaders overall.
09-20-2019 10:02 PM
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(09-20-2019 09:25 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Even if they wanted to, UF and FSU are 1 vote in a 14 team conference.

FSU and Miami are 2 votes in a 15 team conference (ND is a full member even though football is excluded). And it takes 12 votes to add new members, so FSU/Miami only need 2 friends to block.

Quote:I dont think you will see many situations anymore like the Gov of VA was able to pull off

I don't think you'll see any. It was a fiasco that everyone learned from. No vote for expansion will happen again without the conference knowing the outcome in advance.
09-20-2019 10:16 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Maybe if they threaten to send Florida Man to Big 12 headquarters if they don't invite UCF/USF
09-20-2019 10:29 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(09-20-2019 10:02 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  ACC could trade Miami Flo with USF and Big 12 can trade Baylor for UCF. Both Baylor and Miami been given their conferences black eyes with the illegal acts done by their players, coaches, boasters, ADs and the school leaders overall.
This trifling...

I can't even... [Image: c649bb82094d7cc1a089fe7302f4ca47.gif][Image: e688d87120d9d46efdcee6bac5aa1877.gif][Image: 12db360391f313f7bdc9266806a1559d.gif][Image: 90b25ef2eae87db71c3ae56e454e3a29.gif]

09-20-2019 10:45 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Are you serious? No.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-20-2019 10:45 PM
Advertisement

Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
The Florida legislature would best help USF out the most by assisting with the cash to build an on-campus stadium, or facilitate getting the MOSI property on the SW corner of Fowler Ave/50th St., as it is 80 acres across from the campus with a pedistrian bridge already across Fowler connecting the property to campus.
09-20-2019 10:47 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
the most they could do is mandate that all state supported D1-A schools have to be in the same conference (and then threaten funding if they are not)

that is HIGHLY unrealistic to ever happen and there would definitely be challenges in court, but I don't think there is anything the courts could really do to stop it

of course the problem with that is you only get 6 teams and you have to then define what "better" is.....would Florida, Free Shoes, FAU, FIU, USF and UCF be better than what USF and UCF are in now.......possibly at first, but definitely not for long when all the recruiting for all those programs goes to hell

along with that they still need to find two more teams to meet the NCAA mandate of 8 and while they could easily get some CUSA members or possibly some AAC members to join up from there you have to ask yet again is that better than the current AAC....and even if it was thought to be at first long term it would be a disaster

there is nothing that is going to be done legislatively by the states or feds to force conference membership things just do not work like that......states do not control conferences with members spread throughout various states and there is nothing against the law about freedom of association and people that talk about "cartels" or "anti-trust" clearly have no idea what means or how that works
09-20-2019 11:16 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(09-20-2019 11:16 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  the most they could do is mandate that all state supported D1-A schools have to be in the same conference (and then threaten funding if they are not)

that is HIGHLY unrealistic to ever happen and there would definitely be challenges in court, but I don't think there is anything the courts could really do to stop it

of course the problem with that is you only get 6 teams and you have to then define what "better" is.....would Florida, Free Shoes, FAU, FIU, USF and UCF be better than what USF and UCF are in now.......possibly at first, but definitely not for long when all the recruiting for all those programs goes to hell

along with that they still need to find two more teams to meet the NCAA mandate of 8 and while they could easily get some CUSA members or possibly some AAC members to join up from there you have to ask yet again is that better than the current AAC....and even if it was thought to be at first long term it would be a disaster

there is nothing that is going to be done legislatively by the states or feds to force conference membership things just do not work like that......states do not control conferences with members spread throughout various states and there is nothing against the law about freedom of association and people that talk about "cartels" or "anti-trust" clearly have no idea what means or how that works
How.does.that.force.a.conference.to.invite.them.

??!!!!!!??????

09-20-2019 11:27 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(09-20-2019 11:27 PM)panama Wrote:  
(09-20-2019 11:16 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  the most they could do is mandate that all state supported D1-A schools have to be in the same conference (and then threaten funding if they are not)

??!!!!!!??????

well the question was not could the legislature force a conference to admit USF and UCF

this is the question that was ask "Could/would the FL legislature do anything to get UCF and USF in a better conference?"

and the answer is the only thing the Florida legislature could do is try and create a "better" conference by forcing all 6 D1-A public schools into Florida into the same (new) conference

then the debate is "is that conference better" and would they find two other schools from outside of Florida to join

and that is debatable especially on the first part

but the question did not ask about forcing a conference to admit USF and UCF
09-20-2019 11:35 PM
zoocrew Offline
Banned

I Root For: PITT, NAVY, MBB
You hit those Florida bath salts today huh
09-20-2019 11:43 PM
Advertisement

ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Could/would the FL legislature do anything to get UCF and USF better conference?
(09-20-2019 11:35 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  the most they could do is mandate that all state supported D1-A schools have to be in the same conference (and then threaten funding if they are not)

[Image: hjs72.jpg]
09-21-2019 01:05 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(09-20-2019 11:35 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

??!!!!!!??????

well the question was not could the legislature force a conference to admit USF and UCF

this is the question that was ask "Could/would the FL legislature do anything to get UCF and USF in a better conference?"

and the answer is the only thing the Florida legislature could do is try and create a "better" conference by forcing all 6 D1-A public schools into Florida into the same (new) conference

then the debate is "is that conference better" and would they find two other schools from outside of Florida to join

No, they couldn't do that either...

09-21-2019 05:30 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(09-21-2019 05:30 AM)panama Wrote:  
(09-20-2019 11:35 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

??!!!!!!??????

No, they couldn't do that either...

Would this conference allow for FAMU to make another run at FBS status and provide a home for the job-football D1 pubkics?
09-21-2019 05:37 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
It looks like the opinion of the board is a decidedly no.
09-21-2019 06:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.