Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

St. Bonaventure to the Big East?
Bookmark and Share
NovaNJ Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Villanova
St. Bonaventure to the Big East?
Not a real serious thread, just killing time while waiting for college basketball to start.

Pro:
-Small, private Catholic University.
-Northeastern location. (Upstate NY, c. 175 mi. west of Syracuse)
-Recent success. (A-10 co-champ in '16. Won 25 games and made the tournament last year, knocking off UCLA)
-No football issues to deal with.

Con:
-When I typed small, I meant SMALL. Would be the smallest school in the conference. (undergrad enrollment of c.2500)
-It would be a step up, so how much does their A-10 success translate into BE success?
09-18-2019 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: St. Bonaventure to the Big East?
favorite idea of one of the guys over at HLOH....

The biggest Pro to it would be the ability to go 12 teams/18 games. That can help get 7-8 teams with .500 or better records, BUT at the same time, allow top 2-3 teams to still finish with 13-14 wins.
09-18-2019 01:31 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
The AAC should add them. Total upgrade from UCONN.
09-18-2019 05:09 PM
scoscox Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Xavier
as a long time member of the A-10... hell no
09-18-2019 06:12 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611093e8a5776998c50b2...=giphy.gif]

Even if the Big East sought out a member that would fill a "sacrificial lamb" role, wouldn't the league likely consider a school that would bring a new media market, or bring strong academics, or a passionate fan base, or new facilities? St. Bonaventure has a small enrollment, with a small endowment, in a small town, with a small arena, and a very regional academic program (that would be ranked last with the membership).

Hypothetically, Boston University would bring the academics and media market, Siena would bring the facilities, Davidson would bring the basketball program, etc.

There is nothing that St. Bonaventure brings to the table that Saint Louis, Dayton or VCU would be able to bring to the Big East. 07-coffee3
09-18-2019 07:00 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
My father has always liked the Bonnies. Being from the South and seeing the segregation of teams from universities in the region in the 1950s, he appreciated how integrated the SBU men's basketball program was during that decade.

As to SBU to the Big East ... there would be some positives, but too many negatives. As GW11 notes, Saint Louis, Dayton and VCU would be much better choices. As would UMass and Rhode Island, for that matter.
09-18-2019 07:13 PM
Advertisement

trephin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
is that you jpschmack? LOL

as a hypothetical 12th school, i'd take SBU over every other school GW11 and Dazzle mention except maybe SLU and Davidson. Dayton, VCU, UMass and URI are unlikely candidates with the exisiting/future 10/11 membership. Butler's Horizon>A10>BE notwithstanding, jumping from PL or MAAC is just too unlikely. jpschmack has tried to persuade that SBU's media market is more than Olean; that it is several million and that SBU as the lone fish in the pond would be better than a smaller fish in a bigger pond (Davidson, SLU).
09-18-2019 07:47 PM
TheBasketBallOpinion Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgetown
Absolutely not
09-19-2019 08:22 AM
NovaNJ Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Villanova
(09-18-2019 07:47 PM)trephin Wrote:  is that you jpschmack? LOL

as a hypothetical 12th school, i'd take SBU over every other school GW11 and Dazzle mention except maybe SLU and Davidson. Dayton, VCU, UMass and URI are unlikely candidates with the exisiting/future 10/11 membership. Butler's Horizon>A10>BE notwithstanding, jumping from PL or MAAC is just too unlikely. jpschmack has tried to persuade that SBU's media market is more than Olean; that it is several million and that SBU as the lone fish in the pond would be better than a smaller fish in a bigger pond (Davidson, SLU).

No, I'm a long-time lurker who decided to step out of the shadows when the attempt to kick-start this board began. When my best friend and I reached college age, I went to Villanova, and he went to St. Bonaventure. thus providing my only, tenuous link to that school.

Like I said, not a serious consideration.
09-19-2019 10:08 PM
scoscox Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Xavier
Does your friend by chance post on forums under the name jpschmack?
09-20-2019 08:09 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(09-20-2019 08:09 AM)scoscox Wrote:  Does your friend by chance post on forums under the name jpschmack?

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
09-20-2019 08:14 AM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(09-20-2019 08:14 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(09-20-2019 08:09 AM)scoscox Wrote:  Does your friend by chance post on forums under the name jpschmack?

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Now all we need to do is get Sactowndog on here and it will be a real party.

He's probably outside the Big East offices still protesting the invitation sent to Creighton.
09-20-2019 09:03 AM
MU in MKE Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Marquette
I feel like I really need to go back and read old threads!
09-20-2019 10:00 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
Having a school to bridge the gap between the two geographic groups would be nice - it's the physical void that was previously filled by Cuse, Pitt, and WV. It'd even be nice that the Bonnies are starting up lacrosse. Just not enough success recently, and I can't see taking any A10 team right now when contract negotiations are only a couple years away.
09-20-2019 11:59 AM
trephin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
serious question Bogg, what is the attraction of a bridge school? just to fill in the visual on a map? for travel partners? I never understand the concept as it relates to the BE in light of modern transportation etc.

SBU doesn't really bridge midwest/east though.
09-20-2019 05:14 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

West Virginia would make an excellent bridge.
09-20-2019 07:02 PM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline

The ideal "bridge" university in terms of location — and that would actually be a good cultural fit (unlike West Virginia) — is Duquesne. But that's a nonstarter.
09-21-2019 10:03 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(09-21-2019 10:03 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  The ideal "bridge" university in terms of location — and that would actually be a good cultural fit (unlike West Virginia) — is Duquesne. But that's a nonstarter.

Cultural fit... LOL.
09-22-2019 04:26 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(09-20-2019 05:14 PM)trephin Wrote:  serious question Bogg, what is the attraction of a bridge school? just to fill in the visual on a map? for travel partners? I never understand the concept as it relates to the BE in light of modern transportation etc.

SBU doesn't really bridge midwest/east though.

Geography matters. You want potential new additions to expand the reach of your conference (for recruiting purposes as much as anything) but also be close enough to existing members to get some synergy in terms of rivalries. I think it absolutely helps, say, Xavier that Butler is one state over and a reasonable drive. If you're just haphazardly all over the map you run into some of the problems the AAC's had with geography.

That being said, the Big East can get along just fine with the kind of two-pod system they're currently operating under, where the East Coast and Midwest groups each have enough geographic coherence that it more or less works for everyone. I don't think the Bonnies are the right team to act as a bridge between the two pods (if somehow the Big 12 blows up in a way that WV winds up a football-only in the PAC, then sure, but otherwise an east-west bridge school may not exist at all). Not a big enough following, not enough success to offset it, and not in a great recruiting location.

It's why I'd stick with the two-pod setup and, if you had to add school #12 out of the A10, go with Saint Louis. The arena's already in place, the support in the A10 is such that they should have an acceptable crowd for the Big East, and Saint Louis the city is a good recruiting area. Coupled with the fact that it's reasonably drivable from most of the Midwest schools, and that's probably got to be school number 12, in this scenario.
09-22-2019 06:16 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(09-22-2019 04:26 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(09-21-2019 10:03 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  The ideal "bridge" university in terms of location — and that would actually be a good cultural fit (unlike West Virginia) — is Duquesne. But that's a nonstarter.

Cultural fit... LOL.

Not sure why you are chuckling, HU.

Duquesne is 1. a private Catholic university that puts as much emphasis (if not more so) on teaching as it does research; 2. is located in an "old school city" in the North (i.e. NOT a city like, for examples, Las Vegas, Orlando or Phoenix); 3. does not play big-time football; 4. has an enrollment of about 10,500 (so, and like other BE schools, not too "big" and not too "small"); and 5. has an endowment of about $370 million (most BE schools have endowments in the $200M to $800M range).

The similarities are noteworthy.

I don't understand what there is not to understand in terms of "cultural fit." I fully understand that Duquesne men's basketball is not remotely like the programs in the Big East. But I'm looking at the big picture.
09-22-2019 07:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.