Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Is this schedule realistic?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
UConn independent scheduling in the future
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
UConn independent scheduling in the future
I have compiled a list of P5 schools that we can realistically get a home and home series with in weeks 1-5 of every year starting in 2022.

ACC: Boston College, Wake Forest, NC State, Syracuse, Virginia, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech
B1G: Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue
Big 12: Kansas, Iowa State, WVU
Pac 12: Wash State, Oregon State, Arizona State, Arizona, Colorado
SEC: Missouri, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

Every year our first five games should be home and home series against five of these 24 schools.

We should also play one pay day game against an elite Power 5 school every year at the end of the year when they play their cupcake game. Here is a list of schools acceptable to whore out to:

ACC: Clemson, Florida State
Big 10: Ohio State, Michigan
Big 12: Oklahoma, Texas
Pac 12: USC
SEC: Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, LSU

We will also have to play UMass and and an FCS team every year and one of either BYU or Army every year.

That leaves three games a year to play with. I suggest a home and home with an AAC team, a MAC team, and a C-USA team.

Here is a realistic schedule for say 2023:

Week 1: Duke
Week 2: @Rutgers
Week 3: NC State
Week 4: @Syracuse
Week 5: @Temple
Week 6: Marshall
Week 7: @FAU
Week 8: Boston College
Week 9: @Army
Week 10: Lafayette
Week 11: @Georgia
Week 12: UMass
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2019 09:07 PM by shizzle787.)
09-15-2019 08:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
RE: UConn independent scheduling in the future
Pac 12 not realistic. They play 9 conference games and in many years need 2-3 home OOC games to get to 6 - 7 home games.

Also many have announced a full slate of games through 2024 already

Oregon State booked through 2024
Washington State booked through 2023 and needs home game for 2024
Colorado booked through 2028
Arizona need a home game 2024
Arizona State booked through 2026

With only 3 OOC games UConn will have great difficulty convincing the PAC teams to travel that far for a non P5 game as part of a 1-1 deal
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2019 10:32 PM by billings.)
09-15-2019 10:14 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
You are going to need to add a game with Liberty somewhere. Also, Tennessee is an acceptable bodybag game.
09-16-2019 06:19 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Going forward as an independent, UConn needs to schedule as many games as it can regionally with the ACC and the B-10 for H&H's the first 5 weeks of the season. Outside of Rutgers and possibly Maryland from the B-10 and WV from the B-12, UConn should rely heavily on the ACC for the first 5 games of the season. The back end of the season for the last 7 weeks should include a money game in the 11th cupcake weekend for the SEC and ACC surrounded by independents UMASS, Liberty, New Mexico ST, Army, and BYU and an FCS team. The remaining games to fill any holes in the schedule can be scheduled with MAC (Buffalo) and AAC teams (Temple, Navy, ECU, Cinn, and the Florida teams) to fill out the schedule in mid October as well taking their bye week then. 04-cheers
09-16-2019 09:50 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I think the OP is drastically overestimating the willingness of other programs to schedule UConn.
09-16-2019 09:28 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Has UConn scheduled any games for 2020?
09-16-2019 09:43 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
So, I'm going to ask a question... What is the "pay-off" for major schools from the ACC and other "Power" conferences to sign "home-and-home" series to play AT UConn? I mean that. The OP assumes that schools will voluntarily sign-on to series to play at UConn. What's in it for them?

I have no doubt, for instance, maybe a school like Clemson or Alabama will bring UConn into their stadium for a one-off. Maybe even schools like Syracuse will be willing to bring UConn into their place. But why would Syracuse want to give up a home game at the Carrier Dome to play in Hartford? Even if UConn bundles in a Men's or Women's BB game in return, I don't see what would compel Rutgers or BC or Syracuse to give a home game to play in Hartford.
09-16-2019 09:47 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
If I'm a Big Ten team, I'd be hesitant to sign a home-and-home with a team that might very well be FCS by the time the game rolls around.
09-16-2019 09:55 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(09-16-2019 09:28 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I think the OP is drastically overestimating the willingness of other programs to schedule UConn.

Most of the P5 teams the OP lists have recently played or scheduled home/home series vs. G5 teams.

Indiana, for example, starts a home/home with UConn this year, had a home/home with Florida International in recent years, and has a home/home with Cincinnati starting in a few years.

Illinois also starts a home/home series with UConn this season. And, UConn has Purdue, Duke, and NC State signed for future home/home series. See https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/uconn/

UConn's biggest scheduling hurdle will be the same as for any indy other than Notre Dame, i.e., finding enough games in October and November. So it's likely UConn will have more future Oct/Nov games vs. UMass, Liberty, NMSU, and BYU than the OP suggests.
09-16-2019 09:58 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
As a Cincinnati fan, I'd only sign a home-and-home with UConn if there's basketball games included in the contract.

If UConn is willing to use its basketball non-conference games to prop up football, then they'll be ok. Otherwise, those P5 teams are mostly wishes. If Cincinnati fans don't want a football home-and-home (even with our shared history with UConn), then why would Purdue, Kentucky, or Iowa State?
09-16-2019 09:58 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(09-16-2019 09:47 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  So, I'm going to ask a question... What is the "pay-off" for major schools from the ACC and other "Power" conferences to sign "home-and-home" series to play AT UConn? I mean that. The OP assumes that schools will voluntarily sign-on to series to play at UConn. What's in it for them?

I have no doubt, for instance, maybe a school like Clemson or Alabama will bring UConn into their stadium for a one-off. Maybe even schools like Syracuse will be willing to bring UConn into their place. But why would Syracuse want to give up a home game at the Carrier Dome to play in Hartford? Even if UConn bundles in a Men's or Women's BB game in return, I don't see what would compel Rutgers or BC or Syracuse to give a home game to play in Hartford.

UConn ought to be able to get some of those schools to come to Hartford. Appalachian State, which was FCS just six years ago, has been able to get Miami, Wake Forest, UNC, and South Carolina signed to play in Boone, so I don't see why UComn couldn't get an old Big East for like Syracuse to do the same.

UConn needs six home games a year, right?

1 will be FCS.
3-4 would be G5's, including Independents who also need help filling out late season schedules like UMass, Liberty, Army, and BYU.
1-2 would be P5's, whether they're one for one or two for one home and homes.

Getting 3-4 P5's in Hartford per year is unrealistic. Even BYU can't do that.
09-16-2019 10:05 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(09-16-2019 09:58 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  As a Cincinnati fan, I'd only sign a home-and-home with UConn if there's basketball games included in the contract.

If UConn is willing to use its basketball non-conference games to prop up football, then they'll be ok. Otherwise, those P5 teams are mostly wishes. If Cincinnati fans don't want a football home-and-home (even with our shared history with UConn), then why would Purdue, Kentucky, or Iowa State?

I said on the UC board in the days right after the UConn decision was revealed that I'd (personally) be "OK" with UC signing a "home-and-home" deal with UConn to help them (and us) with scheduling. The vast majority of UC fans didn't agree. And if the AAC can cover the date with another conference opponent, then I could care less if we played UConn again...much less give up a home game at Nippert.

For non-Power schools, that home game is crucial. The only way we can give a "home game" away is for $$$. So if UConn--which by all accounts is already cash-starved--can ante up for a "buy" game, then hey...good for them. But expecting a program to give up the gate from a home game just to play UConn? I doubt it happens often.
09-16-2019 10:06 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(09-16-2019 09:55 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  If I'm a Big Ten team, I'd be hesitant to sign a home-and-home with a team that might very well be FCS by the time the game rolls around.

I'd be very surprised if UConn goes FCS in the next ten years, but to protect themselves I am sure any Big Ten team (or any FBS team for that matter) would have in the contract that they'd only go to Hartford if UConn has no announced plans to go FCS. Otherwise, there would be no penalty to cancel the series.
09-16-2019 10:09 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-16-2019 10:06 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(09-16-2019 09:58 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  As a Cincinnati fan, I'd only sign a home-and-home with UConn if there's basketball games included in the contract.

I said on the UC board in the days right after the UConn decision was revealed that I'd (personally) be "OK" with UC signing a "home-and-home" deal with UConn to help them (and us) with scheduling. The vast majority of UC fans didn't agree. And if the AAC can cover the date with another conference opponent, then I could care less if we played UConn again...much less give up a home game at Nippert.

For non-Power schools, that home game is crucial. The only way we can give a "home game" away is for $$$. So if UConn--which by all accounts is already cash-starved--can ante up for a "buy" game, then hey...good for them. But expecting a program to give up the gate from a home game just to play UConn? I doubt it happens often.

It appears the model UC is shooting for is 2 P5s, a G5 and FCS (some years 2 G5’s). Obviously Miami is locked in as one of the G5’s through 2029. We have WMU, WKY and Boise on future schedules. Perhaps UC would do it, but I also get the hint from the athletic department they’d prefer to schedule a regional G5 opponent (the Boise game was originally scheduled several years ago).

Perhaps I am wrong but I just don’t see it based on the future projected schedule. People would lose their mind if UC only scheduled one P5 and had Miami, UConn and an FCS as the other OOC game.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2019 04:18 AM by CliftonAve.)
09-17-2019 04:15 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(09-16-2019 09:55 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  If I'm a Big Ten team, I'd be hesitant to sign a home-and-home with a team that might very well be FCS by the time the game rolls around.

Can’t they just put in language that voids the contract if that happens
09-17-2019 05:49 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-16-2019 09:28 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I think the OP is drastically overestimating the willingness of other programs to schedule UConn.

This, You will see a lot of 2 for 1s in your future.
09-17-2019 07:49 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Syracuse does not need games against UConn in hoops as enticement. They play a 20 game ACC schedule and Georgetown annually. Throw in 2-4 games in whatever early season tournament, 2-3 home games vs Upstate NY schools...well you see the issue.

Sad to say all I see is occasionally a game vs them at MSG or Brooklyn.

In football Cuse might be agreeable to something. A home and home is possible (lots of alumni in CT). Another option is a home game in Cuse and a neutral game in November at Yankee or Fenway.

UConn football fans are traditionally pretty nasty folks to visitors. They are more NFL like than collegial. So we'll see.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2019 09:39 AM by TexanMark.)
09-17-2019 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(09-17-2019 09:21 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Syracuse does not need games against UConn in hoops as enticement. They play a 20 game ACC schedule and Georgetown annually. Throw in 2-4 games in whatever early season tournament, 2-3 home games vs Upstate NY schools...well you see the issue.

Uconn's soon to have the same problem as well. Between the 20 game Big East schedule, one or two of the Gavitt Games and the BE/B12 Challenge, an early season tournament, and your regular helping of warm-up buy games and UConn won't have much in the way of OOC games to play with. The basketball matchups the AAC requested as part of the separation won't help either.

Unfortunately the rivalry's likely to drift away, as playing a November game once every four years just doesn't sustain things that were built on conference standings and BET games.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2019 09:29 AM by Bogg.)
09-17-2019 09:28 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Agreed Bogg...sad but true.

Love to play a double-header annually at MSG with four current/old BE teams.
09-17-2019 09:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(09-16-2019 09:47 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Maybe even schools like Syracuse will be willing to bring UConn into their place. But why would Syracuse want to give up a home game at the Carrier Dome to play in Hartford?

Syracuse is the one P5 I could see making an appearance at UConn more than once a decade. Syracuse fans are more basketball-oriented than most P5 fanbases, are more Big East-oriented. So having UConn play in the Carrier Dome is an upgrade over having Central Michigan or Old Dominion. I'm not sure there's anyone else in the P5 where that's true. That, and mutual interest in basketball scheduling, could be enough to get a 2-for-1, or maybe a 2-1-1 where one Yankee Stadium game counts as a UConn home game.

(09-17-2019 05:49 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  

Can’t they just put in language that voids the contract if that happens

Sure, but then they have to reschedule. It's a concern, and you'd rather schedule someone without that downgrade risk. Just schedule any other FBS program instead, and you don't have that headache.
09-17-2019 10:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.