Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scholarship Freeze Policy
Bookmark and Share
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
Sad Scholarship Freeze Policy
Apparently the Athletic Dept implemented a new policy last spring which prevents awarding a scholarship to a walk-on and/or increasing a partial scholarship later in an athlete's career. If this is true, then our AD has essentially cut the heart out of W&M tradition. Petition was started to protest and call for a student town hall with the AD.

https://www.change.org/p/college-of-will...dit_var=v0
09-10-2019 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

If this is true it’s an incredibly short sighted move. I would be very curious to hear what the logic behind this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-10-2019 08:51 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

RE: Scholarship Freeze Policy
If the policy is that scholarship monies are frozen only for a current academic year, then it is understandable, as the Dept, like any business, has to budget and manage. Not really clear in the petition wording.
09-10-2019 09:03 AM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

Certainly someone on here is close enough to AD Huge to ask if this was a freeze last fiscal year made necessary for budgetary reasons or a completely moronic decision that will negatively affect all scholarship sports (especially football).
09-10-2019 09:11 AM
Tribal Offline

Gotta pay for the Shaver buyout somehow.

We have STARTERS on the football team not on scholarship.

Also, care to guess if scholarship athletes who took classes over the summer had tuition covered? Wanna guess when they were told, "Yeah, about tuition..."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
09-10-2019 10:41 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

When do we start to see the "For The Bold" effect? Im guessing that money raised has not been implemented until the drive is complete?
09-10-2019 10:47 AM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
This is an absolute disaster. It will impact football in a big way. We will see preferred walk on players go elsewhere going forward. Just another example of not understanding what W&M is all about from the AD. Huge mistake.
09-10-2019 10:53 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

This is stupid
09-10-2019 11:08 AM
Tribal Offline

(09-10-2019 10:53 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  This is an absolute disaster. It will impact football in a big way. We will see preferred walk on players go elsewhere going forward. Just another example of not understanding what W&M is all about from the AD. Huge mistake.
Huge question - what about all the HEYFARL contributions? Wow, someone better get in front of this.

09-10-2019 11:32 AM
Tribe21 Online
Bench Warmer

(09-10-2019 10:41 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Gotta pay for the Shaver buyout somehow.

We have STARTERS on the football team not on scholarship.

Also, care to guess if scholarship athletes who took classes over the summer had tuition covered? Wanna guess when they were told, "Yeah, about tuition..."

After they were back on campus?

Sent from my SM-G950U using CSNbbs mobile app
09-10-2019 12:47 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
This athletic department has had more drama around it over the last two years than I recall in my 30+ around WM. Just when I think all has subsided, something else seems to pop up.
09-10-2019 12:55 PM
Advertisement

LeadBolt Offline
All American

The devil is in the details and we don’t know them. Might have been a good short term budget decision or a longer term disaster. No way to know until we know the scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019 12:56 PM by LeadBolt.)
09-10-2019 12:55 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Even if it's something that is simply budgetary and won't have a meaningful impact to players, it is a problem the the department didn't make that clear to everyone. Well run departments understand optics as well as impacts and can get out in front of things like this.
09-10-2019 01:53 PM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

Definitely needs to be asked at the next Town Hall. Anyone have any info on when that might be? I know Huge said that there would be more of them.

I'd like to hear all sides of the situation before coming to a conclusion.
09-10-2019 09:00 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

As a few have noted on here, details and specifics could be very different. The only information seems to be from the change.org petition, so there really needs to be something public from the school about this. If it's the new policy, I'm incredibly curious what the rationale for it is. If this is a misunderstanding, it needs to be clarified ASAP.
09-10-2019 09:11 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(09-10-2019 09:11 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  Certainly someone on here is close enough to AD Huge to ask if this was a freeze last fiscal year made necessary for budgetary reasons or a completely moronic decision that will negatively affect all scholarship sports (especially football).

(09-10-2019 10:53 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  This is an absolute disaster. It will impact football in a big way. We will see preferred walk on players go elsewhere going forward. Just another example of not understanding what W&M is all about from the AD. Huge mistake.

This policy is criminally stupid. It is not only bad for football, as noted by many, but it is also very bad for the Olympic sports on much smaller budgets.

My daughter ran track in high school. She was admitted to W&M on early decision. During the summer before she matriculated we all met with Dan Stimson. The Tribe was happy to have her run track -- but they did not offer a scholarship at that time, for two major reasons. 1) She made it clear that she was coming to W&M regardless, so the coaches did not need to offer a stipend to entice her to come, and 2) the track team had limited scholarships; in fact, most years, each scholarship was split between two, or even three, athletes.

My daughter worked hard, trained hard, studied hard, ran hard, and helped the Tribe win the CAA outdoor track Championship during her freshman year. She was rewarded with a small partial scholarship for her sophomore year. Not big -- but appreciated and every little bit helps. She continued to excel and received a larger stipend her junior year (about 50% bigger). Her senior year she earned a scholarship double what she got the junior year. She was injured during the indoor track season that year and so she still had one season of eligibility for indoor track remaining. The school asked if she wanted to return while she did post-grad work earning her MEd -- but by then she wanted to concentrate on her studies and so a great 4-year career came to an end.

She loved every minute of it (except for the injury) but, even so, it is very likely that she would not have run for all four years without the scholarship money. If the current rule was in place then, she would never have received a cent. If she had stopped competing because of lack of assistance, then the track team would have lost a valuable (and valued) competitor.

I know that there are THOUSANDS of other students with very similar stories. Imagine if all of those students had been deprived of scholarship financial aid. This decision is just so stupid and shortsighted that, if it weren't for the fact that it is occurring on Huge's watch, I would actually have trouble believing it was true. This needs to get reversed pronto. I will wait a few days to see what develops before I voice my displeasure to Rowe. Sooner or later you'd think that she would get tired of receiving so many complaints about Huge. I'm sure that the negative letters outnumber the positive ones by about ten to one.

Lastly, like Tribal, my first thought was that this was a mechanism to get funds to pay for Shaver's buyout. So, if true, then the negative ramifications of that blunder will continue to be felt BY MANY in the Tribe community for years to come.
09-10-2019 11:58 PM
Advertisement

bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

From which source in the athletic department does this come from? Do we have definite verification this is now the policy.

Incredibly stupid if it, indeed, is in effect but, at this point, is it true?
09-11-2019 05:34 AM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

All you have to do is look at the list of players over the years that have been awarded scholarships and the impact they made on this program, it’s pretty significant. For the future of the football program I hope this is not true.

The only reason my son decided on WM, was because of the walk-on program. He was a major contributor his RS freshman year and again his sophomore year. The spring following his RS freshman year he received a half, after his sophomore season he was put on full.

Unlike other programs, a quality overlooked player can confidently choose WM knowing there’s a documented history of rewarding walk-on players. Just look at the HEYFARL list. That’s a heck of a recruiting tool.

I can’t imagine this is a permanent policy moving forward.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2019 07:18 AM by tribefbfan.)
09-11-2019 07:11 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(09-10-2019 11:58 PM)Zorch Wrote:  Lastly, like Tribal, my first thought was that this was a mechanism to get funds to pay for Shaver's buyout. So, if true, then the negative ramifications of that blunder will continue to be felt BY MANY in the Tribe community for years to come.

Believe me, the Shaver payout is NOT an issue for the Athletic Dept. That has already been covered.
One major donor (and, as I understand it, a smaller one - about 95% + 5%) have already committed to covering the buyout over a three year window (so, if Tony decides to take a job somewhere else, the donors are off the hook for whatever payout remains).

So, while I feel that this policy change is definitely short-sighted, it has nothing at all to do with Tony's buyout.
09-11-2019 08:37 AM
Tribedad18 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: W & M
(09-11-2019 07:11 AM)tribefbfan Wrote:  All you have to do is look at the list of players over the years that have been awarded scholarships and the impact they made on this program, it’s pretty significant. For the future of the football program I hope this is not true.

The only reason my son decided on WM, was because of the walk-on program. He was a major contributor his RS freshman year and again his sophomore year. The spring following his RS freshman year he received a half, after his sophomore season he was put on full.

Unlike other programs, a quality overlooked player can confidently choose WM knowing there’s a documented history of rewarding walk-on players. Just look at the HEYFARL list. That’s a heck of a recruiting tool.

I can’t imagine this is a permanent policy moving forward.

+2
09-11-2019 09:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.