Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Majerle on the hot seat?
Bookmark and Share
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
Is Majerle on the hot seat?
Just curious if GCU fans are still wholeheartedly devoted to Dan Majerle or are they’re some GCU fans that think he is on the hot seat?
08-27-2019 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

RE: Is Majerle on the hot seat?
(08-27-2019 02:04 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Just curious if GCU fans are still wholeheartedly devoted to Dan Majerle or are they’re some GCU fans that think he is on the hot seat?

I'm not sure Majerle is on the hot seat just yet. But I think Colangelo and the GCU Administration had big dreams of GCU entering the D1 ranks with a splash; a coming out party by winning the WAC tournament in its first year of eligibility. Now after loosing to NMSU two consecutive years in the WAC Championship, I think there is a more concerted effort (by cleaning house of most of Majerle's staff) to retool the basketball program with what's considered to be better basketball minds on his staff; with the hopes of jumping one last WAC hurdle... NMSU.

I think if Majerle doesn't get it done within the next two season, Colangelo and the GCU backers might start looking around for a better basketball coach... aka a proven winner at the high D1 college level.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019 08:34 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
08-27-2019 02:34 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
I don't think much has changed since this thread was started. As a GCU fan, I'm pretty much in the same place.
08-27-2019 03:19 PM
Advertisement

ThunderDan49 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Lopes
I wouldn't necessarily say that he is on the hot seat based on the fact that his contract is set to expire at the end of this season. At the very least, I think that he has got to be competitive til the last minute of the championship game and end up losing by like 5 in order to retain his job and get a new contract. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go mid season if he has more than 4 losses entering conference play. Colangelo and Mueller both looked very pissed off after the championship game this year.
08-27-2019 03:44 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(08-27-2019 03:19 PM)gleadley Wrote:  I don't think much has changed since this thread was started. As a GCU fan, I'm pretty much in the same place.

What changed is a month after that thread was started, NMSU went into Phoenix and swept the series with GCU. Then in March, NMSU completely annihilated GCU in the WAC Tournament Championship.

After barely loosing to NMSU on a half-court buzzer beater in Las Cruces, Majerle had to feel his GCU program was on the cusp of overtaking NMSU; only to realize he was not any closer than the years prior.

Colangelo is investing good money to try to make GCU the next Gonzaga. He wants a Mark Few type performance out of Thunder Tan Majerle very soon. That is why GCU paid a big salary to Menzies to assist. Menzies is supposed to push Majerle over the finish line or Majerle needs to consider stepping aside.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019 08:59 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
08-27-2019 08:51 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(08-27-2019 08:51 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(08-27-2019 03:19 PM)gleadley Wrote:  I don't think much has changed since this thread was started. As a GCU fan, I'm pretty much in the same place.

What changed is a month after that thread was started, NMSU went into Phoenix and swept the series with GCU. Then in March, NMSU completely annihilated GCU in the WAC Tournament Championship.

After barely loosing to NMSU on a half-court buzzer beater in Las Cruces, Majerle had to feel his GCU program was on the cusp of overtaking NMSU; only to realize he was not any closer than the years prior.

Colangelo is investing good money to try to make GCU the next Gonzaga. He wants a Mark Few type performance out of Thunder Tan Majerle very soon. That is why GCU paid a big salary to Menzies to assist. Menzies is supposed to push Majerle over the finish line or Majerle needs to consider stepping aside.

Or Menzes is a head coach in waiting
08-27-2019 11:35 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

I've never heard that Colangelo is investing any money into GCU, let alone GCU basketball. Would love to know your source.
08-28-2019 12:28 AM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(08-28-2019 12:28 AM)ProfScott Wrote:  

I've never heard that Colangelo is investing any money into GCU, let alone GCU basketball. Would love to know your source.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news...red-a.html

They refer to Colangelo as a benefactor; with the business School and a museum named after him on the GCU campus and a life sized statue of him in front of GCU arena. If he is not giving money to the University directly he is clearly "invested' in GCU through his services.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2019 02:41 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
08-28-2019 02:36 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(08-28-2019 02:36 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 12:28 AM)ProfScott Wrote:  

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news...red-a.html

They refer to Colangelo as a benefactor; with the business School and a museum named after him on the GCU campus and a life sized statue of him in front of GCU arena. If he is not giving money to the University directly he is clearly "invested' in GCU through his services.
Colangelo is definitely invested in GCU by offering his name recognition and his services to the university. He consistently is a guest instructor within the business college and he offers his expertise and knowledge in multiple areas. He has a strong Christian faith and so agrees wholeheartedly with the mission and vision of GCU. If anything, the University is probably paying Colangelo for his services rather than Colangelo investing in GCU financially. I could be wrong but I do not think I am. Colangelo is certainly not one of those booster types that donate lots of money to an institution and then come knocking on the door making demands.
08-30-2019 10:21 AM
Advertisement

dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

GCU guys that post on this site are awesome. No sarcasm impliesd at all. I wish your sane coherent ways would spread to the rest of your fanbase. Kudos Proff
08-30-2019 04:50 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

If had to rank the top 3 coaches in the WAC currently...

1. Chris Jans - A high major (power 5) coach in a mid major suit.
2. Rick Croy - Learned his craft very well from St. Mary's Randy Bennett.
3. Dan Majerle - Runs a good NBA-lite offense.

I think Rod Barnes, Jim Hayford, and Lew Hill are all pretty equal. Their respective talent in a given season dictates their pecking order.

Lance Irvin is coaching with one hand tied behind is back (small Chi St budget). So, we will never know how good a coach he could be.

The jury is out on Billy Donlon and Mark Madsen.
09-01-2019 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.