RE: North Carolina A&T
[Image: giphy.gif]
08-17-2019 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrojansOneandAll Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy
Wouldn't be the first time an HBCU talked about moving up with nothing to show for it.
08-17-2019 08:58 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Wouldn't be my first HBCU program to move to FBS. I do know they have a nice stadium that seats about 21,000. Texas Southern, Grambling, Jackson State, I believe would be better choices, but what do I know? Good luck to them.
08-17-2019 09:39 AM
HighlandsApp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: AppState
The university is classified as a high activity research university by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.[18][19][20] The university ranks third in sponsored funding among University of North Carolina system institutions,[21] As of 2018, the university conducts over $64 Million in academic and scientific research annually, and operates 20 research centers and institutes on campus.[22] The university's designation as a land grant institution reflects its broad range of research with ongoing projects funded by agencies such as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Defense, National Institutes of Health, and the National Science Foundation.[22]
08-17-2019 09:51 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(08-17-2019 09:39 AM)JoeJag Wrote:  Wouldn't be my first HBCU program to move to FBS. I do know they have a nice stadium that seats about 21,000. Texas Southern, Grambling, Jackson State, I believe would be better choices, but what do I know? Good luck to them.

Definitenly not TSU. They are absolutely terrible! If I had to pick one it'd be Prairie View. Their stadium looks great!
08-17-2019 09:53 AM
Advertisement

EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
Yes please! Far better choice than any of the EKU, Missouri State crowd. They have the academics to boost us, and by playing our caliber yearly, their football will increase to a new level also...it was better than the previously mentioned schools above already. They also have decent basketball so it’s a win win
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019 11:46 AM by EagleNationRising.)
08-17-2019 10:11 AM
debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(08-17-2019 09:39 AM)JoeJag Wrote:  Wouldn't be my first HBCU program to move to FBS. I do know they have a nice stadium that seats about 21,000. Texas Southern, Grambling, Jackson State, I believe would be better choices, but what do I know? Good luck to them.

Maybe if Grambling didn’t have an FBS school 35 miles away and another one less than 5 miles away
08-17-2019 10:18 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Best of luck to them but they will have to go independent and they don’t have the donations to support something like that.

FAMU tried it for a year and it didn’t work
08-17-2019 10:34 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(08-17-2019 10:11 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  Yes please! Far better choice than any of the ELU, Missouri State crowd. They have the academics to boost us, and by playing our caliber yearly, their football will increase to a new level also...it was better than the previously mentioned schools above already. They also have decent basketball so it’s a win win

Not sure if serious.
08-17-2019 10:51 AM
1st String

(08-17-2019 10:51 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(08-17-2019 10:11 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  Yes please! Far better choice than any of the EKU, Missouri State crowd. They have the academics to boost us, and by playing our caliber yearly, their football will increase to a new level also...it was better than the previously mentioned schools above already. They also have decent basketball so it’s a win win

Not sure if serious.

Uh...yeah. They’ve done a good job in recruiting and scheduling the last few years. Regularly running thru the Meac (not a big feat) and beating every G5 they’ve played (except for Tulsa) since 2016. Last year they beat a decent Jacksonville State team (that then beat EKU 56-7). I’ll walk back my basketball comments from earlier a little, but I will add that they have made it to the second round this decade.
08-17-2019 11:56 AM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-17-2019 10:18 AM)debragga Wrote:  

Maybe if Grambling didn’t have an FBS school 35 miles away and another one less than 5 miles away

Thats true, but look how close TXST and UTSA are together, both G-5 programs.
08-17-2019 05:38 PM
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
I live 10 minutes from their stadium so the selfish person in me would like to see this as I am sure App football would make a stop in Greensboro every now and then, and having D1 FBS football in Greensboro would likely bring in some outside dollars to the local economy. However I would put more money on seeing UNC-Greensboro and NC A&T merge into one university before FBS football happens for the Aggies. Actually I think UNCG getting FCS football would happen before A&T moving to FBS.
08-17-2019 08:24 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA

01-wingedeagle
08-17-2019 11:58 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Online

I Root For: TROY
Oh good grief.... seriously...

The more teams that keep coming up to FBS, the more likely we're going to see another divisional split. It'll be FCS, FBS, and the P5.

Someone needs to go put a lock on the gate.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 01:19 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
08-18-2019 01:18 PM
1st String

(08-18-2019 01:18 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Oh good grief.... seriously...

The more teams that keep coming up to FBS, the more likely we're going to see another divisional split. It'll be FCS, FBS, and the P5.

I agree with this, but a lot of that issue is because a number of schools are in FBS currently that really have no business in it. Just like there are still a few schools in FCS that choose to stay there out of apathy or whatever when they have the resources to move up. The Ivy’s and some of the HBCUs are included in that.

Again, I agree that it is pretty saturated as is...my argument is that if it does get more saturated, if JMU isn’t available, I’d take NC A&T, Southern, or Grambling over an EKU or a Missouri State.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 01:43 PM by EagleNationRising.)
08-18-2019 01:41 PM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-17-2019 11:58 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  

01-wingedeagle

Thanks for the smilie. Something one would expect from a fan whose school doesn't even have a football program. But y'all do have a nice high school football stadium equipped with a track.05-stirthepot
08-18-2019 01:42 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-18-2019 01:41 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  

I agree with this, but a lot of that issue is because a number of schools are in FBS currently that really have no business in it. Just like there are still a few schools in FCS that choose to stay there out of apathy or whatever when they have the resources to move up. The Ivy’s and some of the HBCUs are included in that.

Again, I agree that it is pretty saturated as is...my argument is that if it does get more saturated, if JMU isn’t available, I’d take NC A&T, Southern, or Grambling over an EKU or a Missouri State.

The split is real and it’s coming. And as much as I want to see us compete at the highest level, let’s face it, only a dozen teams are really competing for the national championship. UCF was undefeated for 2 straight years and couldn’t get an opportunity to play for it. I want to see my team, any of our teams, win a NC, and in the current setup, it will never happen. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out over the next 10 years.
08-18-2019 03:19 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2019 03:19 PM)Usajags Wrote:  
(08-18-2019 01:41 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  

The split is real and it’s coming. And as much as I want to see us compete at the highest level, let’s face it, only a dozen teams are really competing for the national championship. UCF was undefeated for 2 straight years and couldn’t get an opportunity to play for it. I want to see my team, any of our teams, win a NC, and in the current setup, it will never happen. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out over the next 10 years.

The talks of a "split" go back at least 2 decades. In the wave of teams that moved up to IA in the 90s every administration that could make a move but didn't want to used the "the split is coming" excuse. I'll believe it when I see it.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 03:40 PM by EigenEagle.)
08-18-2019 03:39 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-17-2019 11:56 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  Uh...yeah. They’ve done a good job in recruiting and scheduling the last few years. Regularly running thru the Meac (not a big feat) and beating every G5 they’ve played (except for Tulsa) since 2016. Last year they beat a decent Jacksonville State team (that then beat EKU 56-7). I’ll walk back my basketball comments from earlier a little, but I will add that they have made it to the second round this decade.

I'm just curious how you think their academics will "boost" us. Not trying to be a smart-***, just want to understand. Georgia State is an R1 school for example. Does anyone other than some State fans really think that gives any measurable benefit to the league? How would A&T being an R2 (the same classification as GS and at lest several SBC schools) boost us?

Also, we're talking about a conference that no longer participates in the FCS playoffs because they've been so bad at it. Squeaking by awful UNCC and ECU teams to me doesn't really demonstrate competitiveness.
08-18-2019 03:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.