Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jon Gilbert tenure @ USM
Bookmark and Share
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Jon Gilbert tenure @ USM
I kept hearing you guys saying he didn't do much or whatever during his tenure at USM, can you guys elaborate on what you mean because he seems to be everywhere talking about everything involving ECU so far.
08-16-2019 10:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: Jon Gilbert tenure @ USM
those are the fans that believe our pittance of a budget doesn't matter....

I wish him nothing but the best....let's see what he can do with a budget (that is the lowest in the AAC, but ~x2 of southern miss')

I'm of the opinion it won't matter one way or the other once the P5 tv contracts expire in the next couple of years....hell, Saban's already got the kindlin' toasty....

I'd raid whatever funds possible and build for the future...looks like you guys are doing that now...

https://247sports.com/college/east-carol...125983159/

#realignment

#act6
08-17-2019 06:14 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Gilbert had the same budget that all our other AD’s had . He was our worst in my lifetime by a wide margin. Thank you very much for taking him off our hands....
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019 09:52 AM by nastybunch.)
08-17-2019 07:34 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

It was literally that. He didn’t do anything. He talked a lot, but accomplished nothing. People asked him what his vision for USM was, but he’d never tell anyone. He’d just say “I wanna hear your vision”. Problem is, I’m not making decisions that impact our future, he was.

I’ll change one thing on what I said. He did fix our speakers at football games so that they actually can be heard across the stadium now without anyone’s ears bleeding. That’s the biggest accomplishment he had.
08-17-2019 08:14 AM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

(08-16-2019 10:13 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I kept hearing you guys saying he didn't do much or whatever during his tenure at USM, can you guys elaborate on what you mean because he seems to be everywhere talking about everything involving ECU so far.

Yeah, I think that was the problem. He did a lot of talking, but didn't actually do anything. He is the definition of an empty suit.
08-17-2019 08:34 AM
Colonel Angus Offline
Bench Warmer

One if his biggest flaws was that he just didn’t get or understand the culture at S. Miss. He was unable to relate and on occasions just socially awkward. His crowing glory at USM was likely his ability to secure a nice contract with Adidas. He has shown that he can be successful at a place that has resources, but not at an institution that needs out of the box thinking and discovery and development of new revenue streams.
08-17-2019 11:33 AM
Advertisement

Reggie Favre Offline
All American

The guy was pathetic in almost every pathetic way imaginable. Good luck with that loser. Oh, keep your coeds away from him when he takes them on camping trips.
08-17-2019 03:21 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
I am hearing nearly the exact opposite of what is transpiring here in Greenville so far.

Are you guys saying he did little because he had little?

Just saying that what you guys are saying about his tenure there just isn't matching up with what I am seeing in Greenville so far.
08-17-2019 08:32 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

With all due respect, our concern is not what he is supposedly doing for you guys, but is what he did while he was here, which was drawing a salary only....
08-17-2019 08:57 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(08-17-2019 08:32 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I am hearing nearly the exact opposite of what is transpiring here in Greenville so far.

Just saying that what you guys are saying about his tenure there just isn't matching up with what I am seeing in Greenville so far.

Then why come here and ask the question? If he’s y’alls real deal you don’t need our approval. Good for y’all if he’s working out.
08-17-2019 08:59 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(08-17-2019 08:32 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I am hearing nearly the exact opposite of what is transpiring here in Greenville so far.

So what? You asked our opinion and we are telling you our thoughts.

(08-17-2019 08:32 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Are you guys saying he did little because he had little?
Did you even read the posts between yours?

(08-17-2019 08:32 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Just saying that what you guys are saying about his tenure there just isn't matching up with what I am seeing in Greenville so far.

We do not give a crap. You asked our thoughts on that tird and we are giving it. If you are so certain about how great he is, then why are you starting a thread asking us about him and then questioning us when we give you our opinion? Are you an idiot? Explains the current sate of ECU.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019 09:16 PM by Reggie Favre.)
08-17-2019 09:14 PM
Advertisement

TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Honestly, the only thing I can think of that he did was pressure wash the stadium and replace a few loud speakers on the scoreboard. People championed him for this and I just laughed because ya know...that's expected, normal upkeep.
08-18-2019 08:57 AM
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(08-18-2019 08:57 AM)TTT Wrote:  Honestly, the only thing I can think of that he did was pressure wash the stadium and replace a few loud speakers on the scoreboard. People championed him for this and I just laughed because ya know...that's expected, normal upkeep.
How long was he at USM?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-18-2019 09:13 AM
DustMyBroom Offline
2nd String

He was the exact definition of a poor cultural fit at Southern Miss. To wit:

We needed someone who was going to find new revenue streams to help grow the athletic department. He got tens of thousands of extra dollars out of adidas and figured out how to maximize ticket revenue out of falling attendance (this last bit is coming up again).

We needed someone who would inaugurate a new round of capital improvements. He changed the last guy’s projects to make them more cost efficient and got us a new volleyball building (85% paid for by state and federal title Ix funds) that we didn’t ask for at the cost of shelving the basketball arena improvements we actually did ask for.

We asked for home non conference games the fans would want to see to make up for the loss of rivals. We got a football scheduling philosophy heavy on road buy games and nearby sun belt teams while playing practically no one at home our fans were familiar with except non-FBS opponents. The same is essentially true for our other sports as well.

We asked for someone to re-energize our fan base and make us want to attend games again. All you really need to know here is that attendance declined in his tenure in every single sport except baseball. His excuse was to point to rising ticket revenue. I’m not sure what ECU wants out of an AD, but Southern Miss fans found a guy bragging about squeezing the diehard fans for more money to be an insult and a plague on the department.

He did make a whole lot of promises when he first got here. He delivered on very few of them. He didn’t even finish all the projects started by the guy before him. Our attendance is down, our finances are down, and our hopes are down. We had to get rid of him.

I’m perfectly aware that people on the AAC and ECU forums are going to dismiss this as a guy being forced to work with almost no resources at “broke” Southern Miss. So are the rest of our posters, which is why you are getting defensive replies. Such thinking complete ignores the fact that this guy wasn’t taking advantage of the resources available to him in the first place. To wit (again):

1. The university president convinced the state legislature and IHL to double the cap on the amount of money academics could use to subsidize athletics. The measure passed the faculty senate 94-4% in the same meeting where another wage freeze for academics and support staff was also approved. The budget did not rise.

2. We set records for the amount of cash Alabama and Auburn paid us for buy games. The budget did not rise.

3. We have one of the highest alumni and student giving rates in the country. The alumni rate reached 60% of all graduates in fiscal year 2012. The budget hasn’t risen.

4. We are getting more money than ever before from our apparel deal. The budget didn’t rise.

5. Ticket revenues rose. The budget did not.

6. We have a ridiculously small debt load for a d1 athletic department, with only two payments left on the 2006 improvements project, and a department that hasn’t had to borrow very much money for any other reason since at least 1991. The budget hasn’t risen much.

So this is what you have as far as Southern Miss fans are concerned: a guy who is pretty much tone deaf when it comes to what the fans want him to actually do (he sure talks a good game though) who doesn’t know how to maximize the revenue streams available to him or have the wherewithal to properly inaugurate capital improvements.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 09:41 AM by DustMyBroom.)
08-18-2019 09:37 AM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(08-18-2019 09:37 AM)DustMyBroom Wrote:  He was the exact definition of a poor cultural fit at Southern Miss. To wit:

We needed someone who was going to find new revenue streams to help grow the athletic department. He got tens of thousands of extra dollars out of adidas and figured out how to maximize ticket revenue out of falling attendance (this last bit is coming up again).

We needed someone who would inaugurate a new round of capital improvements. He changed the last guy’s projects to make them more cost efficient and got us a new volleyball building (85% paid for by state and federal title Ix funds) that we didn’t ask for at the cost of shelving the basketball arena improvements we actually did ask for.

We asked for home non conference games the fans would want to see to make up for the loss of rivals. We got a football scheduling philosophy heavy on road buy games and nearby sun belt teams while playing practically no one at home our fans were familiar with except non-FBS opponents. The same is essentially true for our other sports as well.

We asked for someone to re-energize our fan base and make us want to attend games again. All you really need to know here is that attendance declined in his tenure in every single sport except baseball. His excuse was to point to rising ticket revenue. I’m not sure what ECU wants out of an AD, but Southern Miss fans found a guy bragging about squeezing the diehard fans for more money to be an insult and a plague on the department.

He did make a whole lot of promises when he first got here. He delivered on very few of them. He didn’t even finish all the projects started by the guy before him. Our attendance is down, our finances are down, and our hopes are down. We had to get rid of him.

I’m perfectly aware that people on the AAC and ECU forums are going to dismiss this as a guy being forced to work with almost no resources at “broke” Southern Miss. So are the rest of our posters, which is why you are getting defensive replies. Such thinking complete ignores the fact that this guy wasn’t taking advantage of the resources available to him in the first place. To wit (again):

1. The university president convinced the state legislature and IHL to double the cap on the amount of money academics could use to subsidize athletics. The measure passed the faculty senate 94-4% in the same meeting where another wage freeze for academics and support staff was also approved. The budget did not rise.

2. We set records for the amount of cash Alabama and Auburn paid us for buy games. The budget did not rise.

3. We have one of the highest alumni and student giving rates in the country. The alumni rate reached 60% of all graduates in fiscal year 2012. The budget hasn’t risen.

4. We are getting more money than ever before from our apparel deal. The budget didn’t rise.

5. Ticket revenues rose. The budget did not.

6. We have a ridiculously small debt load for a d1 athletic department, with only two payments left on the 2006 improvements project, and a department that hasn’t had to borrow very much money for any other reason since at least 1991. The budget hasn’t risen much.

So this is what you have as far as Southern Miss fans are concerned: a guy who is pretty much tone deaf when it comes to what the fans want him to actually do (he sure talks a good game though) who doesn’t know how to maximize the revenue streams available to him or have the wherewithal to properly inaugurate capital improvements.

But, I am hearing nearly the exact opposite of what is transpiring in Greenville so far.

Are you saying he did little because he had little?

Just saying that what you are saying about his tenure there just isn't matching up with what I am seeing in Greenville so far.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 10:59 AM by Reggie Favre.)
08-18-2019 10:58 AM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Based on Southern Miss' experience, I guess it is good that he did not land at a school that has money problems. Oh, wait.

http://www.reflector.com/News/2019/05/06...enges.html
08-18-2019 03:29 PM
Advertisement

eagle83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I don't think Gilbert was at USM long enough to make a good determination on how good of an AD he was. I think most didn't like Gilbert because he doesn't fit the typical Southern Miss mold. Southern Miss fans typically have a chip on their shoulder and want to prove they can compete with the SEC teams all around us. When Gilbert cried at his press conference, it was obvious he wasn't going to fit with the Southern Miss attitude. He may be a good AD he was just out of place in Hattiesburg.
08-18-2019 06:49 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

He's a toolbox of corporate-speak, PC platitudes. He would have finished us off given 3 more years.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using CSNbbs mobile app
08-18-2019 07:50 PM
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(08-18-2019 03:29 PM)Nugget49er Wrote:  Based on Southern Miss' experience, I guess it is good that he did not land at a school that has money problems. Oh, wait.

http://www.reflector.com/News/2019/05/06...enges.html
Only for a short time my friend. You 49's sure are in ECU's wallet allot. If you are that concerned how about make a donation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 08:57 PM by pcm0103.)
08-18-2019 07:54 PM
Eagle in the gym Offline
All American

(08-18-2019 06:49 PM)eagle83 Wrote:  When Gilbert cried at his press conference, it was obvious he wasn't going to fit with the Southern Miss attitude...He was just out of place in Hattiesburg.

For real. Was not a good face for a “tough guy university.” Hope he does well anywhere else, but was our Ellis Johnson for athletic director.
08-18-2019 08:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.