Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any G5 Fan Grow Up Cheering For G5 Team?
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Any G5 Fan Grow Up Cheering For G5 Team?
You always here of the people who grew up cheering for a Power 5 team, and those who end up continuing to place TOP PRIORITY for the Power 5 team even after they go to a G5 school, but did anyone on here actually grow up cheering for a G5 team? Did you end up going to the G5 school? If you didn't, do you still cheer/follow them?
08-16-2019 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
RE: Any G5 Fan Grow Up Cheering For G5 Team?
Not G5, but grew up in Ithaca rooting for Cornell. Still root for them, but if FSU played them in anything, I would be rooting for the Noles.
08-16-2019 05:48 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
No. Grew up in Ohio (Springfield then Worthington), so always tOSU.

When we moved to the Bay Area in High School I really didn't root for any local school, still the Buckeyes. I only rooted for SJSU after my first year transferring there (when I felt, yeah this place is OK, I'll finish here)
08-16-2019 06:42 PM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(08-16-2019 04:48 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  You always here of the people who grew up cheering for a Power 5 team, and those who end up continuing to place TOP PRIORITY for the Power 5 team even after they go to a G5 school, but did anyone on here actually grow up cheering for a G5 team? Did you end up going to the G5 school? If you didn't, do you still cheer/follow them?

Yes, grew up a Cajuns fan, eventually became a 2 sport athlete for the Cajuns.
08-16-2019 07:12 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Yes. I wouldn’t have attended NIU otherwise.
08-16-2019 07:47 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
G5 has only been around for what 7 years, and BCS before that, so I’ve been rooting for Houston in these years, but I’ve been rooting for Houston sense I can remember, I guess houston was an independent in the early 70s, so that’s a long time to be a fan
I’ll root for Houston cougars regardless of their perception or class standing
Houston wasn’t always a g5 or a left behind
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019 09:38 PM by JHS55.)
08-16-2019 09:34 PM
Advertisement

HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
I’m from CT but graduated from Morehouse College in Atlanta. I started following college football when UConn went FBS. They were BCS back then though. Whatever the future holds it’s the only program I’ll ever root for.
08-16-2019 09:43 PM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I came of age with two college sports programs (Memphis and a SEC member I have not yet ID'd on this board for various reasons) and one pro sports franchise (Chicago Cubs). Those have always been my "Big Three Teams" for family and sentimental reasons. Back then, the early 1970s, there was no G5 or P5 so we didn't think much about the haves and have nots as we do today. Memphis played a good schedule in both football and basketball and was, by most folks, generally well respected. The SEC school I support is the only of the universities I follow for which I am fully passionate (academics, sports, cultural offerings, campus architecture, etc.).

Later in life, I attended a school that is now in C-USA (and for which I did some work in the athletics department) and, shortly thereafter, I developed a strong attachment (in the late 1980s) to a school now in the Big East (the men's hoops program for which I loosely covered for Athlon Sports years ago). My brother attended a Big Ten school and, later, the University of Cincinnati (which I also loosely covered for Athlon Sports years ago). His wife attended an Atlantic Coast Conference school and my sister attended two other ACC schools. I would later teach part-time at two OVC universities.

And then, later, a very close relative was accepted for admittance as an undergrad to one of the original Big East Catholics. But, due to a severe and life threatening health concern, my relative had to opt for a Plan B. As a show of support, I reached out to a key office of this university and offered to undertake a volunteer task that was 1. helpful to the university and 2. very symbolic and important to me based on my professional background. The university was wonderful to work with and I was humbled by the experience. My relatives, after I told them, were so appreciative I had done this and that this Big East-affiliated university had been so accommodating. I have since taken multiple online classes offered by this university.

Anyways, that's a lot of schools and athletics programs. But I enjoy the variety.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019 09:30 AM by bill dazzle.)
08-16-2019 10:42 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

Yes. Grew up rooting for Houston. My parents graduated there. Dad played in a national title-winning golf team there. We had season tickets to both basketball and football when I was growing up.

Personally, I went to Duke. But moved back to Houston in the 1990s, and became a UH season ticket holder myself.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019 12:30 AM by CougarRed.)
08-17-2019 12:30 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
I grew up rooting for Fresno St. but also liked Clemson because I thought they played in Death Valley(CA) wondering why and how the hell. Also liked Nebraska because my cousin always got their gear from his uncle that lived there, and Oklahoma from my grandma who was from there and wanted to counter the Nebraska stuff.

In fact I thought Fresno St. was a whole different level. I thought the PCAA was like below the NCAA, I didn't know it was just a conference. But still root for Fresno over everyone.
08-17-2019 03:24 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Absolutely. Grew up in Hawaii, started rooting for UH as a teenager in the 1970s, have been a Warrior fan ever since.

As a grad student in Boston in the early 1980s I would go to the Out Of Town News stand in Harvard Square every fall weekend to buy week-old flown-in Sunday editions of the two main Honolulu newspapers, just to read the UH football coverage.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019 10:43 AM by HawaiiMongoose.)
08-17-2019 10:42 AM
Advertisement

BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
I grew up a UCF fan, both my parents went there, and I go there now. Never had another team that I cheered for, although I somewhat cheer for FAU, as I considered going there. Hate all the other teams in Florida.
08-17-2019 10:56 AM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I didn't know or care about college football until I went to NIU.
08-18-2019 12:10 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
As a kid I was a Rice fan so I could root against both Texas and aTm.
08-18-2019 12:20 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
Lifelong Cincinnati Bearcat fan. My sister and I are grads, as were both of my parents. Frankly, I never heard of Ohio State until we beat them in '61 and '62 for the national bb championship. I think someone told me that OSU is one of those Johnny-come-lately land-grant upstarts located somewhere upstate.
08-18-2019 12:32 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

(08-18-2019 12:20 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  As a kid I was a Rice fan so I could root against both Texas and aTm.
So what your saying is you graduated from rice as a kid?, what were you 12?
08-18-2019 12:46 PM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(08-18-2019 12:46 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  
(08-18-2019 12:20 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  As a kid I was a Rice fan so I could root against both Texas and aTm.
So what your saying is you graduated from rice as a kid?, what were you 12?

I started in Jr High. All the obnoxious kids were Longhorns or Aggies.
08-18-2019 03:11 PM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
This thread really doesn't apply to me but I grew up a UH fan since my parents graduated from Houston. I got into A&M and was planning on moving to College Station but decided to attend Texas Tech at the 11th hour.

Best decision ever.
08-18-2019 06:23 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(08-18-2019 06:23 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  This thread really doesn't apply to me but I grew up a UH fan since my parents graduated from Houston. I got into A&M and was planning on moving to College Station but decided to attend Texas Tech at the 11th hour.

Best decision ever.

From one flagship to another.
08-18-2019 08:02 PM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(08-18-2019 08:02 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(08-18-2019 06:23 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  This thread really doesn't apply to me but I grew up a UH fan since my parents graduated from Houston. I got into A&M and was planning on moving to College Station but decided to attend Texas Tech at the 11th hour.

Best decision ever.

From one flagship to another.

Absolutely.04-cheers
08-18-2019 09:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.