Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2019 Schedule Breakdowns: North Texas
Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Exclamation 2019 Schedule Breakdowns: North Texas
Last season I did a series of threads related to how I believed each teams schedule would play out, and ultimately predict the end of the year standings. Feel free to debate my opinions. I always welcome good sound logic. I decided to just update this one thread and change the title to reflect the current team be evaluated. I just seems easier.

For the record, I am predicting the eastern division to be stronger in 2019. I believe the eastern schools will finish with a 42-42 regular season record, while I believe the western schools will finish 39-45. But, I think the west will have 4 teams finish bowl eligible, while I think the east finishes with just 3. If that sounds confusing, it will make more sense once all of my schedule breakdowns have been posted.

My C-USA Ranking Prediction
1. North Texas 11-1 (8-0)
2. FIU 11-1 (8-0)
3. Marshall 9-3 (7-1)
4. FAU 8-4 (6-2)
5. Southern Miss 7-5 (6-2)
6. LA Tech 7-5 (4-4)
7. UAB 7-5 (4-4)
8. WKU 5-7 (4-4)
9. Charlotte 5-7 (3-5)
10. Middle Tennessee 3-9 (2-6)
11. Rice 2-10 (2-6)
12. UTEP 3-9 (1-7)
13. UTSA 2-10 (1-7)
14. ODU 1-11 (0-8)

Today I start with the team I believe will be the worst in C-USA this season... ODU.

Last season, I predicted ODU to finish 6-6, but they actually finished 4-8, with impressive wins over Virginia Tech and North Texas. I still don't understand how ODU lost to Liberty, ECU, or Rice.

2019- In my opinion, Bobby Wilder should have been let go after last season. Overall, I think his 2018 team under preformed, and now he will be faced with the challenge of leading a much less experienced team. I think Wilder has the toughest job in C-USA this season. He will have to coach what is left of a 4 win team with the fewest number returning starter (8) in C-USA. Two P5 road trips early in the season will probably place them behind the eight ball. Plus, aside from ODU and MT, I see every team in C-USA East getting better this year. I don't have a lot of confidence in ODU posting a winning record, and have them ranked last in C-USA East, and C-USA overall.

My prediction for ODU 1-11 (0-8)
W- Norfolk State
L- @Virginia Tech
L @ Virginia
L- ECU
L WKU
L @Marshall
L- @UAB
L- FAU
L- @FIU
L- UTSA
L- @Middle Tenn
L- Charlotte

Enjoy debating, and I'll post my pick for #13 on Sunday.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019 10:47 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
08-09-2019 10:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
RE: Schedule Breakdown: ODU
(08-09-2019 10:31 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I still don't understand how ODU lost to Liberty, ECU, or Rice.
Because teams don’t perform at the same level in every game.

Quote:In my opinion, Bobby Wilder should have been let go after last season.
Agreed.

My prediction for ODU
W- Norfolk State
L- @Virginia Tech
L @ Virginia
L- ECU
W - WKU
L @Marshall
L- @UAB
L- FAU
L- @FIU
W - UTSA
L- @Middle Tenn
W - Charlotte

Total 4-8. The 3 wins in conference, all of them would be L’s if played on the road. Schedule did ODU a favor this year.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 07:10 AM by Cardiff.)
08-10-2019 07:02 AM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
They have a chance versus ECU, WKU, UTSA, Charlotte, MTSU, and UAB. They'll hopefully win their opener. Do they have a QB? Williams has experience, but they signed JC QBs to push or beat him out.
08-10-2019 08:29 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Not sure about losing to ECU, the pirates are awful and I don’t think Houston will turn it around in one yr, but on the other hand VT will be highly motivated since ODU beat them the last time they played, ODU is going to get the very best from the Hokies.
08-10-2019 08:57 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-10-2019 08:29 AM)USM@FTL Wrote:  They have a chance versus ECU, WKU, UTSA, Charlotte, MTSU, and UAB.

[Image: giphy.gif]
08-10-2019 10:22 AM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(08-09-2019 10:31 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I still don't understand how ODU lost to Liberty, ECU, or Rice.

ECU slipped through our hands on the road. Bad call on a INT handed them the win.

Liberty + Rice I saw a team give up. Liberty the team literally quit... at that point I thought Bobby was going to not be our coach at the end of the season and he had lost the team.

Then the team had that huge VT game and I was like wtf is going on and who is this team we expected in the opener against Liberty?!

The Rice game looked like a team throwing in the towel and I saw again a team just say F it. Which to me was a shame to see. That is probably not what the players (or most of them) felt or did but that's what it looked like.

We brought in a LOT of new faces and we have some positions the best looking on paper we've ever had. If BW can get out of the way a little bit and let the new (I'm impressed with the coaching hires) coaches do their jobs and adapt to the new team we could surprise a few teams but still would be a season win if we back to 4 wins.
08-10-2019 10:53 AM
Advertisement

ODUODUODU Online
1st String

Ouch...
08-10-2019 12:24 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
I understand picking us 1-11, but I think just by pure luck we could win a couple more. I'll be looking for improvement during the year and in true homer fashion think we'll surprise a few teams on the back side of the schedule. 6-6 is my dreamers prediction. Most improved team.
08-10-2019 01:42 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-10-2019 01:42 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  I understand picking us 1-11, but I think just by pure luck we could win a couple more. I'll be looking for improvement during the year and in true homer fashion think we'll surprise a few teams on the back side of the schedule. 6-6 is my dreamers prediction. Most improved team.

I agree. Somewhere along the way ODU will probably pull out a win no one saw coming (like last season's VT game). Plus, I struggled quite a while before picking UTSA to win at Norfolk. That game and maybe the ECU game could go ODU's way. As for most improved, I give the nod to WKU.
08-10-2019 02:06 PM
ODUi Offline
1st String

(08-10-2019 01:42 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  I understand picking us 1-11, but I think just by pure luck we could win a couple more. I'll be looking for improvement during the year and in true homer fashion think we'll surprise a few teams on the back side of the schedule. 6-6 is my dreamers prediction. Most improved team.

I believe for this to happen we really need to hold serve at home. The schedule is kind to us in that regard (NSU, ECU, WKU, FAU, UTSA, CHA). Go 5-1 at home and win one we shouldn’t on the road. That’s my dream anyways 03-cloud9
08-10-2019 02:55 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I see two wins may be three if we get lucky but anything after that is a gravy. I belong to the group that believes Bobby has severely under-performed at FBS and i do not blame him. You can't hand over the reigns of an FBS team to an FCS coach and expect consistent success with lack of facilities etc. If he gets us to 6 wins magically he will stay if not he should be gone period.
08-10-2019 04:00 PM
Advertisement

owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Schedule Breakdown: ODU
Thank you for not picking us last!
08-10-2019 06:29 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(08-09-2019 10:31 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Last season I did a series of threads related to how I believed each teams schedule would play out, and ultimately predict the end of the year standings. Feel free to debate my opinions. I always welcome good sound logic. Today I start with the team I believe will be the worst in C-USA this season... ODU.

Last season, I predicted ODU to finish 6-6, but they actually finished 4-8, with impressive wins over Virginia Tech and North Texas. I still don't understand how ODU lost to Liberty, ECU, or Rice.

2019- In my opinion, Bobby Wilder should have been let go after last season. Overall, I think his 2018 team under preformed, and now he will be faced with the challenge of leading a much less experienced team. I think Wilder has the toughest job in C-USA this season. He will have to coach what is left of a 4 win team with the fewest number returning starter (8) in C-USA. Two P5 road trips early in the season will probably place them behind the eight ball. Plus, aside from ODU and MT, I see every team in C-USA East getting better this year. I don't have a lot of confidence in ODU posting a winning record, and have them ranked last in C-USA East, and C-USA overall.

My prediction for ODU
W- Norfolk State
L- @Virginia Tech
L @ Virginia
L- ECU
L WKU
L @Marshall
L- @UAB
L- FAU
L- @FIU
L- UTSA
L- @Middle Tenn
L- Charlotte

Just curious - what was your prediction of NT vs ODU last year? I enjoyed hearing your faithful who made the trip to Norfolk engage in your chant of “North......Texas” to our stadium (one would say it and the other would respond). Over and over again I can still hear the chant. And then we got to mock it as we walked backed after the game. So what was your prediction of that game?
08-10-2019 09:45 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-10-2019 09:45 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(08-09-2019 10:31 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Last season I did a series of threads related to how I believed each teams schedule would play out, and ultimately predict the end of the year standings. Feel free to debate my opinions. I always welcome good sound logic. Today I start with the team I believe will be the worst in C-USA this season... ODU.

My prediction for ODU
W- Norfolk State
L- @Virginia Tech
L @ Virginia
L- ECU
L WKU
L @Marshall
L- @UAB
L- FAU
L- @FIU
L- UTSA
L- @Middle Tenn
L- Charlotte

Just curious - what was your prediction of NT vs ODU last year? I enjoyed hearing your faithful who made the trip to Norfolk engage in your chant of “North......Texas” to our stadium (one would say it and the other would respond). Over and over again I can still hear the chant. And then we got to mock it as we walked backed after the game. So what was your prediction of that game?

Like the vast majority of the fans on this board, I predicted North Texas to win. You could go back and find the original thread. It is still there. Our loss at ODU was the low point of last season. Sadly, UNT will have to wait quite a while to get some payback.
08-10-2019 10:04 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(08-10-2019 10:04 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 09:45 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

My prediction for ODU
W- Norfolk State
L- @Virginia Tech
L @ Virginia
L- ECU
L WKU
L @Marshall
L- @UAB
L- FAU
L- @FIU
L- UTSA
L- @Middle Tenn
L- Charlotte

Like the vast majority of the fans on this board, I predicted North Texas to win. You could go back and find the original thread. It is still there. Our loss at ODU was the low point of last season. Sadly, UNT will have to wait quite a while to get some payback.

I bet it was a low point - but matches your prediction credibility of ODU. North.....Texas. No.....Credibility. We’ll be ready again the next time we play - so don’t count your chickens. Payback ain’t going to happen.
08-10-2019 10:23 PM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

Y'all need to calm down. We lost a ton of seniors from a team that could barely win 4 games with multiple NFL players on it. We're not going to be good next year, it's just what shade of bad that's in debate.

For me, I've noticed that ODU always wins one game it shouldn't and loses one it shouldn't. For us to go 1-11 would be uh.... discouraging.
08-10-2019 10:46 PM
Advertisement

ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(08-10-2019 10:46 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Y'all need to calm down. We lost a ton of seniors from a team that could barely win 4 games with multiple NFL players on it. We're not going to be good next year, it's just what shade of bad that's in debate.

For me, I've noticed that ODU always wins one game it shouldn't and loses one it shouldn't. For us to go 1-11 would be uh.... discouraging.

...a traitor says “what”? Keep that pride of being in the band.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 11:05 PM by ODUDJ96.)
08-10-2019 10:58 PM
benny_t Online
1st String

(08-10-2019 10:58 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 10:46 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Y'all need to calm down. We lost a ton of seniors from a team that could barely win 4 games with multiple NFL players on it. We're not going to be good next year, it's just what shade of bad that's in debate.

How is being re as kistic about the upcoming season being a traitor?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
08-10-2019 11:16 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(08-10-2019 11:16 PM)benny_t Wrote:  

What is “re as kistis”? Debate with “side show” all you want. I prefer to think we’re better than this opinion.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 11:21 PM by ODUDJ96.)
08-10-2019 11:18 PM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

(08-10-2019 11:18 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 11:16 PM)benny_t Wrote:  

What is “re as kistis”?

I believe the term he means is "realistic"
08-10-2019 11:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.