Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gender Equity in W & M Sorts
Bookmark and Share
Aviator Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William & Mary
I figured that it was only a matter of time before seeing an article like this. Yes, I am certain that the College spends more on men's sports than the women's athletic program. At the same time, the article does not mention the amount of money raised by men's sports vs. women's sports.

It is ironic that a picture of a W & M women's basketball game is included in the article. I can not spot one spectator in the seats. Have a look. Could it be very few care?

https://www.vagazette.com/news/va-vg-wm-...story.html
08-09-2019 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tribeinexile Offline
1st String

RE: Gender Equity in W & M Sorts
(08-09-2019 06:43 PM)Aviator Wrote:  I figured that it was only a matter of time before seeing an article like this. Yes, I am certain that the College spends more on men's sports than the women's athletic program. At the same time, the article does not mention the amount of money raised by men's sports vs. women's sports.

It is ironic that a picture of a W & M women's basketball game is included in the article. I can not spot one spectator in the seats. Have a look. Could it be very few care?

https://www.vagazette.com/news/va-vg-wm-...story.html

As a passionate fan of our MBB program, I don’t ever recommend choosing fannies in the seats as a metric of caring. By that scale, I should have given up on the Tribe over 40 years ago and become a VCU Ram fan.

Our MBB attendance is something which I have to apologize for to every guest I bring to the Hall.

And I don’t believe any of our sports are money makers. From that perspective, the only logical thing to do is to drop football.

Women’s sports are here to stay and they need to be funded.

And I still hold that our non-revenue athletes of both genders are the cream of the student body and should be supported as such.
08-09-2019 07:22 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

TribeinExile has responded right on the mark.

Title Nine is the law, corrects decades of inequity, and is rightly being adhered to by W&M.
08-10-2019 05:21 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Title Nine has been around for almost 50 years. It’s not a new kid on the block. No one disputes that the goal of Title Nine is the correct goal, but like most things that become federal legislation, there are unintended consequences, and proper repairs to those unintended consequences rarely occur.

For instance, Title Nine became a discriminatory piece of legislation in that it led to the dropping of male sports by various schools. Wrestling and male lacrosse were the casualties at W&M, forever altering the alumni composition at our school. The article is silent as to this issue.

Title Nine has an inherent flaw for schools like W&M. It includes a sport for which there is no equal female equivalent. That sport, unfortunately for monetary calculations and formulas, and compliance, costs the most to operate, and involves an inordinate number of male student athletes. The article evades this issue.

That same sport just happens to be the most diverse sport at the school, and is a major contributor to those “numbers” which are the joy of administrators everywhere. Put in other words, W&M’s ability to “satisfy” diversity goals is due, in large part, to one sport. The article does not address this issue.

Finally, at the very beginning, the article points out the number of female students, and the number of male students, at W&M. Yet, the article is silent as to the tremendous balancing act that the Athletics Department has done over the past decades in allocating resources among the teams, with a 60% female student body, and football being included in the formula. Some might say that this proves the point; I would respond by saying that there are practical issues that this federal legislation does not address.

Now, it’s time to be sassy.

First, I’m in the camp of those who believe that intercollegiate athletics are close to the beating heart of W&M, if not the heart itself. Anything that reduces the total number of athletes, male or female, is wrong, in my book. And if that’s going to happen because of Title Nine, my preference would be for the school to drop down to D-3.

Second, great coaches and staff .... yes, underpaid .... have been a hallmark of W&M athletics. I want great coaches and staff for W&M. To reach that goal, hiring and firing due to age, and gender, and ethnicity ... (did I mention age?), have no place at W&M. Discrimination works both ways.

Third, and I’ll stop here, I wonder if, on the academic side, there should be equality ... such as 50/50 male-female student body .... 50/50 conservative-liberal composition of faculty .... well, you get the point. Does anybody know the gender make-up of the faculty and academic support staff? The article is silent as to this as well.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 06:57 AM by nj alum.)
08-10-2019 06:55 AM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

1. "Gender" and "Sex" aren't interchangeable.

2. We should never...ever...even hint to dropping football. Drop every other men's sport--other than basketball--before dropping football.

All this is embarrassing and shows where we are as a fanbase. How do you think JMU and UD fans would respond to a suggestion to drop football?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-10-2019 10:00 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
The minute you drop football, you almost have to go D3. The consequence of that decision would be to eliminate the same number of women's scholarships and it would wipe out most of the teams.
08-10-2019 10:29 AM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

The suggestion to drop football was supposed to be ironic; of course irony never conveys in this media.

The tone of the original post was that women’s sports lose money so maybe they are not worthwhile.

All I said was that by that criteria we would have to drop football because it was our biggest money loser.

Subsequent posts have pointed out how vital football is to the College.

“Ironically” I agree and feel it supports my point the P&L is not an appropriate criteria.

I am sorry I made my post because this thing has gone totally off the rails.
08-10-2019 06:45 PM
Tribal Offline

Someone thought your post was right on the mark and he definitely took it literally. Thus, the reason for the subsequent posts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-11-2019 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.